You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,925
    So last nights session didn't happen.

I went for a steady run, and then I laid on the bed watching football and eating food.

---

Up bright and early to right the wrongs of my idleness last night.

Im gonna steal a golfing phrase to sum up the session and say it feels like I left half a dozen shots out on the course today.

If 3 or 4 cards had fallen differently, and I'd clicked a different button a few times, I think I'd be in the clubhouse celebrating hitting my target already.

Ok maybe it wouldn't have been that good.

But we'd be well on the way.

As played,

+ £71.07 to go with +£79.81 from yesterday and a fiver or so rakeback (im counting it!!!!)

Means we're off to a good start.

---

Interesting (?) hand of the day?

Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance
    mccann08 Small blind £0.10 £0.10 £11.50
    markylew Big blind £0.20 £0.30 £8.05
    Your hole cards
    Jx
    Qx

H3nry Fold
    DOHHHHHHH Raise £0.60 £0.90 £26.32
    weemarc Fold
    mccann08 Call £0.50 £1.40 £11.00
    markylew Call £0.40 £1.80 £7.65
    Flop

6x
    10s
    9s

mccann08 Check
    markylew All-in £7.65 £9.45 £0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Raise £15.30 £24.75 £11.02
    mccann08 All-in £11.00 £35.75 £0.00
    DOHHHHHHH Unmatched bet £4.30 £31.45 £15.32
    mccann08 Show
    Qx
    Js
    markylew Show
    Qx
    Jx
    DOHHHHHHH Show
    J
    Q
    Turn

4s

River

Qs

mccann08 Win Flush to the Queen £29.87 £29.87

Not sure if it'll be interesting to many.

But maybe it will to the fish out there like me who like this sort of thing :)

As an aside,

thoroughly enjoyed Markylew tilting his nackers off this morning.

Couldn't happen to a nicer c word.

oj, sure he's a lovely chap irl.

GL all playing today, shrink, dog walk, new running club and then footy tonight for me.

Back tomorrow.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,814

Umm, who or what is "markylew"?
    edited October 2018
    He's one of "Team Morning Reg-fish" (TRF)

Of which I am also a long standing member.

The low stakes chat boxes before 10am are so toxic. Especially at the weekends.

Poor Players (guilty) who think they're genius's (Not guilty anymore) ridiculing, degrading and often abusing eachother and casual recreational guys on all sorts of levels.

My ultimate annoyance is the act of laughing, lecturing and ridiculing a chap who's just lost his money.

It's like the nut low in online poker etiquette imo.

--

Shoutout to Marcuscat, Ourkes and Abo, all thoroughly nice chaps who are the exception to the rule. Always repping TRF with pride <3

--

Session with the shrink was great. I wasn't sure what to expect, but they've got skills.

Walking out much more positive about things than when I walked in.

What a difficult, yet highly rewarding job that must be.

• DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Greetings from a sometime member of TRF :)

Good luck with the new challenge for the month and it's good to see you posting regularly again.

Also, much respect for being so open and frank about mental health issues. There's been an increasing visibility regarding these kind of problems over recent years which is great to see. So many people will suffer in silence and not seek help due to feelings of shame or embarrassment and the more people are prepared to stand up and say 'me too', the easier it becomes for others to do the same.

I wish you much run good in all regards (except in hands against me of course ;)).
  • MP33MP33 Member Posts: 6,237

For people struggling with mental illness, asking for help is a big deal. It's a really hard thing to do. (not neccesserily talking about myself here)

So to take that huge step and reach out to someone for help, and then to be told there's nothing anyone can do for x weeks/months it can just be so destructive.

Compare that to the guy who wakes up in a morning with a tickly cough, or a sore ankle, and he can get the help he needs within a few hours.

I think it has to change. And quickly.

/semi rant.

Been through the mental health services myself and from ppl i know going through them now it is changing - Its getting worse - Its the same with Substance misuse services which are often inter-linked - long waiting times and not enough staff. I,ve done group therapy for a few years now and seen it benefit so many ppl. Think its the way forward - and it doesn,t cost
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,627
    Keep yer chin up bud.
    Life variances can be $hit sometimes you seem to have your head screwed on just keep thinking next week/next month things will be better
    Gl at the tables JJ

Greetings from a sometime member of TRF :)

Good luck with the new challenge for the month and it's good to see you posting regularly again.

Also, much respect for being so open and frank about mental health issues. There's been an increasing visibility regarding these kind of problems over recent years which is great to see. So many people will suffer in silence and not seek help due to feelings of shame or embarrassment and the more people are prepared to stand up and say 'me too', the easier it becomes for others to do the same.

I wish you much run good in all regards (except in hands against me of course ;)).

You're right mate.

I've got 17,00 posts on here, maybe 15k of them were made when I was an alcoholic, agoraphobic, depressed and obese. I never let on to anyone that anything was wrong, (despite talking to many on a daily basis) although I'm sure many worked it out.

It was on here, around 2,000 posts or so ago that I first started opening up about things, and my life has improved immeasurably ever since.

I think if I hadn't done so, it's highly unlikely id be here.

Deep.

If only I'd taken those steps 10 years ago, rather than 3 years ago.

It's hard though.

For some people, myself included, it gets to the point where you're rock bottom and the only thing left to lose is your life.

At that stage, you (or I) can find the courage to reach out.

Because what's the worst that can happen.

The worst is inevitable anyway...........

I wish it didn't have to get to that point though. For people to seek help.

I dunno how we go about changing it. But it needs to be changed and soon :(

----

Bit of poker admin.

Played for half hour at nl4 yesterday whilst I waited for running club.

Made a tenner.

Few hours this morning

= + £68.25

Total so far = £243.96 / £1k

---

I don't know what to do with myself today.

It's these days I struggle with.

I've played abit of poker, bored of that now. Plus good players are waking up and I can't beat them.

I can't run, it's a "rest day" and ive got a hamstring niggle anyway.

It doesn't leave much.

Ideas?

Anyone fancy a pint? :D<3

Best of luck to all playing today

• Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Good to see you back posting JJ.

Stuck for something to do. Did you ever finish that (or any) book? I have been waiting for the review.

Amazingly honest post by JJ as to his previous life issues.

Respect.
    Type your comment
    DOHHHHHHH said:

He's one of "Team Morning Reg-fish" (TRF)

Of which I am also a long standing member.

The low stakes chat boxes before 10am are so toxic. Especially at the weekends.

Poor Players (guilty) who think they're genius's (Not guilty anymore) ridiculing, degrading and often abusing eachother and casual recreational guys on all sorts of levels.

My ultimate annoyance is the act of laughing, lecturing and ridiculing a chap who's just lost his money.

It's like the nut low in online poker etiquette imo.

--

Shoutout to Marcuscat, Ourkes and Abo, all thoroughly nice chaps who are the exception to the rule. Always repping TRF with pride

+1 to that.

It's a credit to most of the players here at Sky Poker that the use of the term "fish" is almost extinct now.

Question for JJ about cash game play.

You've been here as long as I can recall, & have dabbled, on & off, in cash games all those years.

How has the play changed, & how much tougher is it now than, say 8 or 10 years ago?

What are the main changes?
    edited October 2018

It's a credit to most of the players here at Sky Poker that the use of the term "fish" is almost extinct now.

Oooops.

Forgive me one slip of the finger, i've been away a while!

The term is fun player now, isnt it? Or business player?

Team Morning Reg Fun Player.

Just rolls off the tongue. :blush:

To be honest alot of these guys win money, they're not very good, but you don't have to be (see, me)

You just have to be in good games.

Which leads on to your next question, and that's by far the biggest difference nowadays compared to 6 years ago.

Game selection. Or "bum hunting" as it used to be known.

We used to really battle it out back in the day on 30nl, all the regs would be showing bluffs, making hero calls, punting it off all over the place.

We were all awful. (we still are, yet we're infinitely better than we used to be. for some perspective)

Back when I first started the buzz word in poker was "aggression".

An aggressive player was always seen as the most difficult opponent.

That's probably still the case, but only if its a style thats played really well. (see the best in the world)

A bad aggressive player, (see me of 6 years ago) will get marmalized in todays games by a bad tight player (see 95% of winning regs below 50nl).

So we're all looking for the best games, the best spots, and basically looking to win the "easy money".

I shouldn't say all. There are some exceptions.

And alot of regs take it to extremes. They'll jump in and out of games, and even move around seats.

I used to sit and play any line up, I wasn't bothered, I was too arrogant and naive to care.

I'm more selective now, id say im middle of the road when it comes to game selection pickyness, I'll be more honest now and If I think im losing or breaking even in a game, i'll just leave it.

cba lol

----

It's got gradually tougher.

It depends how hard you work at it.

I see ex 30nl regs playing 500nl now.

I also see them at 4nl.

And some of us have just stayed at the same level.

Lets be honest we have it so good on sky poker, the games are unrecognisable to other sites at equivalent stakes.

Thats cash, mtt and sngs.

The games are still amazing here, but they are alot tougher than they used to be.

I have many regrets about what I did, and didnt do in my mid 20s.

If I'd knuckled down and taken poker seriously, proper seriously, I could be a millionaire by now.
  • weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,679
    Big fan of this thread good to see it back
    edited October 2018
    weecheez1 said:

Big fan of this thread good to see it back

Thanks mate, 3 days in and happy with how the threads going. Enjoying posting, and even more so that people are joining in, or even just dropping in to wave.

Much appreciated, thanks all.

I'm going to have a session tonight, it's due to be a bad one.

So get your bluff catchers at the ready, <3
    edited October 2018
    Rubbish tonight, played an hour or so.

Lots of big pots, punted 1 stack off calling down, and another bluffing.

Lost 3 quid.

Too busy p'ing about on the other monitor.

Gonna go make pancakes and watch the end of Killing Eve. <3

Back in't morning probably.

Nightall.

Which begs the question, what were you watching on the other monitor?

You a Doncaster Rovers fan JJ? They seem to be doing well this season.

gulp @ the other monitor question haha.

Okay, i'll continue with the theme of honesty. I was POFing.

I'll leave it to you to work out what that is, if you're struggling @MAXALLY can help you out :D

---

Donny are flying this season. The first 11 is class. I've been to watch half a dozen games and we've played some lovely stuff.

The squad depth will let us down though.

Coppinger is a class above the rest at this level, even at 66 years old.

True legend <3

----

I'm in a rush with the update today.

It was one of those mornings where the bed feels 10x comfier than usual.

And therfore its 100x harder to get out of it.

Slow start.

If i had more time I'd be moaning about one of the worst runbad sessions of the year so far for me.

I'd be telling you all about it, and you'd all be clinging to every word.

Alas, I've actually got stuff to do today, so I'm sorry.

I can't.

- 30 quid.

Great result, considering. I'll get the abacus out and do the maths later for the ongoing score.

---

@Phantom66 sorry I missed your question earlier mate.

I never did finish that book. And I havent read anything since.

I just don't have the necessary attention span and patience.

Maybe when im older.......

You can always help me out, what happened to Xavier?

edited October 2018

No idea what POF means, but I fancy it's best to remain in ignorance.

Glad to hear you are an active follower of Donny. It's really good to have absorbing hobbies, no matter what they are.

Guess Donny v Barnsley is a super local derby?