You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Four Candles Ratings-reintroduced

Comments

• vaigretvaigret Member Posts: 16,363
    edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Four Candles Ratings for 19/4/2014:
    Thanks father, think I'm going to start doing them just in singles. If I'm slow and the price has shortened alot I'll just leave it out.  Bit of a long shot, but have you kept records of how successful each i / ii / iii / iiii has been?  In theory the iiii selections should be the most profitable? Apologise in advance for the downswing that is about to hit now that my dosh is on going on. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Yes do them singles only. Even I don't do them in a yankee however small. OK great way to have big winnings but they don't usually come up. I do have double and trebles on some weeks but much smaller stakes and usually each way .

As to the stats on each I haven't but I can have a look, as you say the horse I give my top rating too should win more than the others, however they are my "safest" likely winners so the one star, which are likely to be longer odds, don't need to come in so often to keep up/overtake the four candle ones.

Father V
    edited April 2014
    Well here are the stats

four candles - 13 wins including 9-1, 8-1 and 5-1 and smaller odds
    three candles - 15 wins including 20-1, 12-1 and 10-1 and smaller odds
    two candles - 12 wins including 10-1, 8-1 and 7-1 and smaller odds
    one candle- 13 winners including 14-1, 3 x 8-1 and smaller

So level single staking for each rating best way forward .

When it comes to accumulators I have had a few win doubles and a few place trebles but no win trebles or accumulators on the ratings horses on their own.

Father V
    edited April 2014
    Big Scoop six this week
    and my selections are

2.05 Keltus
    2.20 Consign and Glen Moss
    2.50 Seeking Magic nr so Body and Soul LOST
    3.25 Sweet Lightning
    3.30 Sizzler
    3.50 Spring Heeled and Midnight Appeal

Now too my ratings

iiii- 2.05 Sand -Keltus 4-1 - In Hawk High's race at Cheltenham this horse was badly hampered at the second resulting in it losing five lengths on eventual winner. Then going to last interfered with again when making its run. hopefully will get recompense today. Rain not helped so saver on Dolores Delightful. Jumped too bold at a lot of hurdles and tired out by end.

iii- 3.30 Ripon-Sizzler 6-1 - Won last time out and trainer in good form this season. Still well handicapped with horses he beat last time and Beacon Lady franked form at Epsom this week. 4TH

ii- 4.05 ripon -Rawaki 11-2 -3rd last time out to Cubanita. Noble Mission franked form today in big race . Hated course, ran all over the place, wouldn't have beaten Battalion though

I- 2.20 Haydock- Consign 14-1 - Broke terribly in Lincoln and lost lots of lengths so chance really gone. Then had to race alone on outside and still finished close up to placed horses. Lincoln form is good this year and hoping he breaks quicker this time.  Glen Moss danger. Pushed along whole race and I was right Glen Moss the danger and won well.

Also fancy

2.50 Ripon Seeking Magic 9-1 NR so done Hopes and Dreams and Body and Soul forecast Lost Draw against them
    3.25 Haydock Sweet Lightning 8-1 and Robert The Painter 10-1 nowhere both of them
    2.40 Sandown -Old favourite Hunt BaLL 5-2 Menorah walked it
    3.50 Sand -Midnight appeal 20-1 and Spring Heeled 14-1 How did that finish 5th, up there and then out like a light and out of first ten jumping the last ran on like mad and with rain Rigadin De Beucherne 33-1
    5.10 Haydock Emulating 15-2 plugged on for sixth

and done for old times sake
    Intrepid 5.45 Wolves
    Pavlosk 3.40 Leics no where
    edited April 2014
    Big Scoop six this week
    and my selections are

2.05 Keltus nowhere
    2.20 Consign and Glen Moss Won
    2.50 Seeking Magic NR so Body and Soul lost
    3.25 Sweet Lightning
    3.30 Sizzler
    3.50 Spring Heeled and Midnight Appeal
    edited April 2014
    down to £44.50 up

Bad day
    edited May 2014
    Lets hope I can do better today.

iiii - Two for Two 2.05 Newmarket 14-1 - Ok 4 year olds have won this race 6 out of last seven runnings but I fancy this horse a lot. Last time he finished a fast closing fifth behind Graphic after getting no sort of run. Graphic has already won once this season and Robert The Painter and Alfred Hucheson who all finished close up have been winning. He is great value at 14-1 and has form better than his stablemate who is shorter in betting De souse also does well for this stable. Also although it doesn't say it in the papers he is a distance winner hving won over this trip at Fontainbleu as a 2 yo . Never showed and whisper this quietly, as great lover of Mr Beckett I had a saver on the winner.

iii- Sole Power 2.40 Newmarket -4-1 Cant see beyond this horse and price is value. Baulked but still won easily , what a price I got as backed down to 9-4

ii- Pal Of The Cat -3.30 Goodwood- 10-3 - This trainer knows the time of day when he has a half decent horse and I feel this is very much on the upgrade. Winner last time and a course and distance winner. Went out like a light

I- Jacks Revenge 2.55 Goodwood -6-1 - Same form as my four star rating although a bit disappointed he didn't do well in Lincoln, having said that form of that race also working out well. Thought he was coming through to win it but didn't go through with it and winner good.2nd

Also fancy

3.10 New -Gospel Choir -9-2 1st at 6-1 lovely price 
    3.50 New -Kingman 7-4 Form turnaround but no excuses as NOT lost ground going all over place

3.00 Thirsk - Music in the Rain 7-2 and if that wins get on 4th 
    3.40 Thirsk Wannabe King 16-1who finished third to it last time. Do like Farlow 7-1 in this  race though. both nowher
    edited May 2014
    back to 45.50 up thanks to one winner
    edited May 2014
    At last time to do my ratings

iiii - 3.15 Ascot- Ribbons 2-1 -Don't like such short odds but still think this is value at 2-1. Chased home Zurigha, a smart filly , last time out and I think Ribbons needed run. she wont tomoz. 2nd, winner backed from 14-1 to 15-2

iii- 2.45 Nottingham -Taurus Twins 13-2 - Trainer overjoyed last week and stated the handcipper has finally given this horse a chance to win after two years . Likes the soft . C and Distance winner and not a top class race. Led from start to finish knew he would win, love trainer as well.

ii- 3.30 Haydock -Ifandbutwhynot 10-1 -Everybody knows this is one of my favourite horses and sure it will run really well under Richard Johnson tomorrow. Been running in top class races and back to a handicap. Plugged on but never going well enough to win.

I- 3.50 Ascot - Redvers 16-1
    -Loves big field handicaps at Ascot and wont mind rain softened ground. Also had a tune up run. Loving spirit and Excellent Guest as savers which is why this only has one candle rating. Drawn wrong side

Also fancy

2.20 Lingfield- Casual smile 3-1-only beaten a neck by Taghooda at Newmarket last year. Taghooda destroyed field this year and now fav for Oaks. Got bashed around all over the place and wont run in Oaks now as she didn't like track either. Ralph Beckett always win this race just a pity he had 3 in it this year and that is the one of his I wouldn't have gone with. !!!!
    3.25 Lingfield 5-2 Soviet rock Winner
    2.05 Ascot Semeen 7-1 -If rain comes too hard will be withdrawn don't back if soft in ground title. Ground went against him and team Godolphin won it with tactics
    2.40 cocktail Queen 14-1 - Ran over wrong distance for her comeback race. gets mares allowance and this trip and soft ground will suit. NR so switched to Area Fifty One on form should have beaten winner again

Haydock 1.50 Cross Kennon-11-1 Been running well without winning . Saver on L Unique 7-1 Both struggled
    edited May 2014
    Morache Music very unlucky in 3.00 at Haydock
    edited May 2014
    up to £49 up
    edited May 2014
    Bit worried that most of the horses I fancy this week are 8-1.

Here goes

iiii - Capill Laith 8-1 - thirsk 4.00 - second to Ruwayain last time and although you wouldn't think it that horse franked Form in Victoria Cup last Saturday. Ruwaiyan finished well in front on far side in that , unfortunately the draw bias meant all the first horses home were on near side. rAN WELL BUT COULD ONLY FINISH 3RD BUT I WAS QUITE GLAD AS Scoop6 would have gone if he had won.sI

iii- Aeolus - 9-2 - Newmrket 2.55 - Ok when it finished two places ahead of Parboldin april it was getting weight. however horse ran into a block of horses twice and still beat Parbold by 7 lengths and just didn't get up on line to win. Should have come on for that race. Race before that he only lost by three lengths to 2000 guineas winner. OK I read the distances wrong so Parbold had the better chance and beat mine who didn't like getting so much daylight.

ii- Burano 8-1 -Newbury 2.40  - NR -This horse is either very unlucky or it could have been a master plan for this trainer to win at his home course. He has been running really well in two big handicaps this season only not to get a run when he needed it both times. Hope he is luckier or better handled today.Also saver on Trader Jack 11-1 4th or 5th

i- Tax Free 8-1 -Thirsk 3.25 - OK badly drawn again but finished second last time out from similar draw. Last Chance Lucas like tomorrow had a better draw and just pipped him at post. Difference tomorrow is 6lb pull in weights. Ran another lovely race for an old timer just out of places

Other Fancies

2.05 Newbury -Cocktail Queen 33-1 NR
    3.50 Newbury -Tullius 8-1
    1.45 Newmarket -Jack of diamonds 8-1n 4th in the van most of way but not able to quicken
    2.20 Newmarket -De Rigeur 13-2 nowhere
    3.30 Newmarket -Stomp 3-1 2nd or 3rd but put up Eastern Impact earlier in week and didn't back it !!!! and 14-1
    4.25 Newmarket -Master Carpenter 7-2

added 2.05 Newbury Brass Ring 12-1 not good enough, what a price for Mount Athos 7-2 !!!

3.15 Corroboration 8-1 5th not good enough
    Good luck all 
    edited May 2014
    now £46 up
    edited May 2014
    Like most weeks I think I have this game sussed and then realise I have picked the same jockeys or trainers in some of my selections. Its either I read the form of their horses differently or they have placed their horses well this week.

Anyway here goes

iiii- 2.40 Haydock -Sole Power 3-1- Why cant this horse do it again, beat most of the field at Newmarket and no reason why he cant do again with Ryan moore now knowing him better. NR

iii- 2.55 Goodwood -Supplicant 7-1 - Ok last time out last of ten in Greenham but high class field including Guineas first and second. Now travelled a long way for a little handicap and weighted well against inferior opposition. Keiroan Fallon has been having good season and takes ride. Well done Keiron, you put her in a nice pocket although unlikely she would have stayed seven on that ground.

ii- 2.05 Haydock- Outdo 7-1 - Watch a video of his last race if you can . Drawn wrong side he still finished 9th despite having no kind of run twice. With a clear passage he would have been much closer and hope he gets it tomorrow. D O Meara trains. Could have been on wrong side again but not good enough. glad I had a little saver on Bear Behind at 20-1

I- 3.10 Haydock -Gathering Power 11-1 - If as good as his stable mate 11-1 looks huge price for impressive winner last time out and not brought over just for a run. Ran really well and finished 2nd to my scoop6 horse Joyeuse so not too disappointed

also fancy

2.50 Catterick -Showboating 10-1 -Won 2 out of 3 at course. missed break again
    3,25 Catterick -Powerful Presence 8-1 , another O,meara horse who has won twice at course and very well handicapped on old form. ran well but 2nd , never so pleased to have a loser as Johhnny Cavagin sends me into the last leg of Scoop 6

3.45 Haydock What about Carlo 13-2 not good enough on that ground  

also French Navy 2-1 Goodwood Winner
    edited May 2014
    Now £43 up
    edited May 2014
    Here goes hoping for winning week.

iiii- 2.20 York - Clever Cookie 5-1 - Trainer really fancies this for Ebor, won well last time out at this course and on this ground. Needs to make sure he gets into Ebor so will try and win to do that. I think this horse still extremely well handicapped. Winner but feel he should have won, noticed G Lee does something with his reins , did the same with Sirius prospect , when the horse needs to give a bit more and wonder if that has effect on horse. Great rider but he definitely prefers to come with one withering run and if it doesn't quite work out seems to get a bit nervy.

iii- 3.00 Newmarket -Goldream 11-2 - Really pi ssed off I missed this at 25-1 last time and it might have got away from me after following last season. However win not expected and trainer said it would come on leaps and bounds for that run. Lets hope he is right. 4th out of money

ii- 3.15 Haydock - Steps 9-2 - Likes this ground and ran a great race without his normal blinkers last time. Blinkers back on today and I think he will be trying at least. Winner, well done Kieron and the blinkers. 6-1 , they are giving money away !!!!!

I- 2.50 York  - Normal Equilibrium 12-1 - On wrong side of track last time and got badly baulked twice and still finished 9th. Hoping he gets a clear run this time but only one candle rating as my old mate Taurus Twins needs a little saver on.  4th Again badly baulked and so was the winner so he wouldn't have beaten Top Boy but could have been closer. A winner waiting to happen.

Also fancy 

1.50 York Sirius Prospect 4-1 2nd
    2.05 Haydock Cubanita 3-1 Unplacd and silk Sari 12-1 3rd
    2.40 Haydock 22-1 Penitent How did they let that horse start at 33-1. though 22-1 was great price.  YIPPEE Tudhope was the clue over Custom Cut who seemed to have better form.

3.35 Newm  -Mighty Yar 11-4 and Dashing Star 12-1 both unplaced, fortnight ago put up De Rigeur and ran like a drain, left alone today and wins at 25-1 !!!!!!! Even when you have a good day this game kicks you in the teeth.

3.25 York Great Fighter 6-1 Unplaced picked wrong Godolphin horse 
    Sohar 5.15 Newm 2nd
    edited May 2014
    now £49 up

and a nice double on Steps and Clever Cookie is the icing on the cake.
  • wynne1938wynne1938 Member Posts: 20,552
    edited May 2014
    In Response to Re: Four Candles Ratings for 31/5/2014:
    Here goes hoping for winning week. iiii- 2.20 York - Clever Cookie 5-1 - Trainer really fancies this for Ebor, won well last time out at this course and on this ground. Needs to make sure he gets into Ebor so will try and win to do that. I think this horse still extremely well handicapped. Winner but feel he should have won, noticed G Lee does something with his reins , did the same with Sirius prospect , when the horse needs to give a bit more and wonder if that has effect on horse. Great rider but he definitely prefers to come with one withering run and if it doesn't quite work out seems to get a bit nervy. iii- 3.00 Newmarket -Goldream 11-2 - Really pi ssed off I missed this at 25-1 last time and it might have got away from me after following last season. However win not expected and trainer said it would come on leaps and bounds for that run. Lets hope he is right. 4th out of money ii- 3.15 Haydock - Steps 9-2 - Likes this ground and ran a great race without his normal blinkers last time. Blinkers back on today and I think he will be trying at least. Winner, well done Kieron and the blinkers. 6-1 , they are giving money away !!!!! I- 2.50 York  - Normal Equilibrium 12-1 - On wrong side of track last time and got badly baulked twice and still finished 9th. Hoping he gets a clear run this time but only one candle rating as my old mate Taurus Twins needs a little saver on.  4th Again badly baulked and so was the winner so he wouldn't have beaten Top Boy but could have been closer. A winner waiting to happen. Also fancy  1.50 York Sirius Prospect 4-1 2nd 2.05 Haydock Cubanita 3-1 Unplacd  and silk Sari 12-1 3rd 2.40 Haydock 22-1 Penitent How did they let that horse start at 33-1. though 22-1 was great price.   YIPPEE Tudhope was the clue over Custom Cut who seemed to have better form. 3.35 Newm  -Mighty Yar 11-4 and Dashing Star 12-1 3.25 York Great Fighter 6-1 Unplaced picked wrong Godolphin horse  Sohar 5.15 Newm
    Posted by vaigret
    Nice selections!
    edited May 2014
    Not going to make same mistake as with De Rigeur so just backed this

iii- Aeolus - 9-2 - Newmrket 2.55 - Ok when it finished two places ahead of Parboldin april it was getting weight. however horse ran into a block of horses twice and still beat Parbold by 7 lengths and just didn't get up on line to win. Should have come on for that race. Race before that he only lost by three lengths to 2000 guineas winner. OK I read the distances wrong so Parbold had the better chance and beat mine who didn't like getting so much daylight.

Parbold will probably beat him again.

but perhaps he wont WINNER easily
    edited May 2014
    thanks wynne well done with Widdi Al Hawati and Top Boy as well
    edited June 2014
    I cant believe my ratings this week, three of them seem much too long in price . They either haven't got a chance or are terrific value.

iiii - 1.35 Epsom -Double Bluff 14-1 - only eighth in Lingfield derby trial but tried to make all over that trip. Back to 1m 2f where the time before he finished close up to Western Hymn and Snow Sky both of them were going for Derby and WH still is and no reason why he cant win it. If they were going to go close in that surely DB got a great chance in this. no run and looks like he didn't handle course. Luckily I had a last minute saver on the fancy from 2 weeks ago What about Carlo who won at 9-1

iii- 5.25 Epsom -Normal Equilibrium 6-1- Very unlucky last two races and if draw and luck holds out he should at last get compensation. Little saver on last years winner Arctic Feeling who drawn on other side and still well weighted  for a C/D winner  4th

ii- 3.15 Epsom -Eton Rifles 14-1 -Ran really well against Steps last week. With weight more in his favour this time and he more early pace I think he will reverse form. Fancy a little saver on Even Stevens who over this faster /easier course might hold on from a blistering start. NR. Steps might do it then so small saver saver bet.4th

I- Derby -Western Hymn 14-1 - Won both times this season beating aforementioned Snow Sky who was well fancied for this. Has done nothing wrong and if rain comes will have an even better chance. Wouldn't have won but would have been placed if it wasn't for Fascinating Rock who bumped him lots of times. did brilliant to finish 6th

Also fancy

Red Icon 6-1 2.05 3rd
    Kuda Huraa 16-1 4.50 not good enough