You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Every Don has its day

Comments

• Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited October 2015
    More updates

Long term plans finally comming into place now. Next few years been discussed, as I've decided the course on which i want to do at university. Unforunetly the local uni doesn't cover it, and altho Edinburgh does and a decent chance of getting in there i need to sit down and discuss with Mel a couple of uni's further away. Strirling the only other even closish and thats still a fair travel away. The rest are even further and Mel's already made it clear I've not to consider them.

Current college is going really well. Had a brief meeting with one of my tutors on Friday instead of one of my classes ran by same tutor. Logic was that we would discuss some homework we did individually. Feedback on that was positive, opinions between me and the tutor on the subject was different but that's ok because both of us could give solid reasoning for our opinions so both would have been fine. We then discussed how i was settling and he was very happy with my in class interaction. All positive stuff :)

New baby we found out will be a little girl, mels over the moon. Weemans speech is comming along abit now and he finally started nursery. He was fine Monday & Tuesday but had a little issue when Mel left on Friday. Althought Nursery said he settled down once Mel managed to leave.

Took part in a rally against TTIP yesterday (for those unaware on this googling is worth a read very good read will be first link from the independant although isn'tas detailed as i'd personally like very good intro into it) ran by 38 degree's and Yes Berwickshire, a friend in te college course I'm in was part of Yes Berwickshire explained what it was and invited me along. Been a long time since I'd been to Duns and while not the most high profile thing was very good. Was also nice to meet Alex Wilson who i believe is on the current shortlist for the Berwickshire seat for the Scottish Elections, very clever guy and one I enjoyed talking to. 

perosonally some very positive times around the place and very few decisions I could have made would have put me in a better long term position, but also offer some very good short term happiness and confidence. I've also decided to join a indoor football team, rthe lads used to play in a league but it got scrapped so just abit of run now, but thats kind of what I was looking for given the history of issues with my left knee, this should offer a balance between getting to enjoy playing football again, while not bothering my knee too much.

Poker plans for this week. Both me and Mel are on our October break, I have some homework but not a huge amount, a small amount of reading, some maths revision and a very smal essay on the Irish Famine, that won't take up a huge amount of my time, couple of hours a day. As a result decided to push for a number I've only hit while promotions are on since the change in C4P to weekly. I'm going to attempt to push for 1000 points. Given ill be playing NL10 at the start and hopefully shot taking again at 20 by the end of the week, this should be achieveable. Previous NL20 shots went well, unforunetly for me NL10 i had alongside went pretty poor and was down more there than i was up at 20. This was obviously just variance and was nice it went that way, but I had to drop back down. 
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited October 2015
    Tall order for you to get 1k points in a week at those stakes but glgl.

How you been getting on so far?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Challenge pretty much gg tbh 

will still target 500 points, but ad stuff on thats meant grinding time has been limited more than i thought. 

158 points currenly 
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Urgh so challenge is virtually off, so much to do so little time and i thougt i had loads of free time aswell :( 

Also planning to drop back to 4 for a little while, few leaks came back into my game that are just basic disipline issues, will be very quick to iron them out at nl4 but costly and has cost me a good few bob this week. 

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Big Goals

So after traveling to college today to find out the only class i had was canceled i sat and had a think. I can't claim this is self thing, JJ's progress has really inspired me to sort myself out. 

This is also something I've been wanting to do for a long time. with the same barrier in financing. At the same time poker has became stale because i win at some levels, break even at others, and money means very little to me personally. As a result i keep pushing myself on moving up and beating a level, not for the financial gain, but purely for the challenge.

So I thought, this is great, i can combine a great hobby, move back down to 4 where i have a good winrate, and use it to finance learning to drive. Seems win win. 

So costs required

£23 a lesson
    £110 for a block of 5
    £210 for a block of 10

So plan is to withdraw current bankroll designed to sustain NL10 variance to £200 more than enough for 4 but will cover off downswings etc. Thats £238.08 already into the kitty so can book 10 lessons from right now. Also pays for me renewed provisional licence as apparently the one i have despite being in date isnt the correct one, only found out when i phoned DVLA earlier to change address. 

so plan of action. Increase volume, always played less 10/20 than i did 4 anyways, so plan is to increase to 10-12 tables, play around 10 hours most weeks, this should hopefully by my maths at last winrate @ nl4 be on average £40 a week, which will cover an excess for weeks where i have family, illness or college work. 

• Options
    TimmyRaRaTimmyRaRa Member Posts: 906
    edited October 2015
    Good luck with this Don90
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited October 2015
    Good plan Don, best of luck with it
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,926
    edited October 2015

In the words of Richard Coles from Stockpon Graphics...

"Your future hasn't happened yet. You shape it. You're in the driving seat....."

Quite literally :)

glgl, dnt crash. 
  • Options
    mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited October 2015
    Good luck :) I'm thinking about doing the same thing but all I want is a nutribullet lol!
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    First session 

Firstly thanks for the support, means alot.

I will play again tonight but just gonna spend a little time with Mel first. Usually watch hollyoaks together but was sorting stuff through that time.

First session ended up balancing at 10 tables, was on 12 breifly but 1 went hu and 1 went 3 handed, struggled with consentration so dropped them. Lasted about 45 minutes before a family member phoned asking for my bank details, id posted on facebook that i'd reordered my licence and they where in a good financial position and wanted to buy me a 10 block of lessons. was in very positive shock and felt it was best to come of the tables while in that mental state. They also requested i changed my bank account deal as part of it, so i did that aswell. 

45mins played
    +£6.17 
    bankroll: £206.17
    total profit: £6.17
    withdrawn: £0.00
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    day one session 2

Played 90 mins this session, feel thats my optimal but ended purely because i have to be up early tomorrow. Felt focused, and felt i was making correct decisions, at least most of the time.

Hollyoaks was well hollyoaks, but its one of the few times of the day me and mel can both allocate to eachother and its nice to spend that little time together. 

1hr 30mins played
    +£11.15
    Current Bankroll: £217.32
    Total Profit: £17.32
    Withdrawn: £0.00
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day - New goals, in poker and life:
    day one session 2 Played 90 mins this session, feel thats my optimal but ended purely because i have to be up early tomorrow. Felt focused, and felt i was making correct decisions, at least most of the time. Hollyoaks was well hollyoaks, but its one of the few times of the day me and mel can both allocate to eachother and its nice to spend that little time together.  1hr 30mins played +£11.15 Current Bankroll: £217.32 Total Profit: £17.32 Withdrawn: £0.00
    Posted by The_Don90
    What sort of reporting is that,

What happened?

I saw an advert saying they're killing someone off every week.

Any predictions?

Why do you chose that soap when it is the worst British soap on TV?
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Day Two

jj two people murdered so far - altho hints one is still alive tonight. no real predictions other than fights, killing and all the stuff thats decent to watch, mixed in with far fetched storylines boring nonsense that make u wana fall asleep. 

Today started on PC Passport assesment exam. Will be done over two weeks, once thats done ill have Thursdays off, yey. already blitzed the microsoft publisher and didnt realise with word being a formatting excersize copy and paste was ok, instead i sat wasteing 20 mins typing out a newspaper article in my own words. sigh. should be a rapid finnish to word then power through powerpoint next week. On the back of a 100% in first of 5 maths assignment style exams on Tuesday positive stuff.

Poker grind.

1 session today just an hour, feeling a little under the weather, thought i was over the worst of it but hit me again this evening, assuming not taking the tablets was a bad idea, took some now but still not great. As a result played an hour. Never felt fully attached to this session, started off struggling to keep up, although that passed was still making some errors. Nothing too serious. Highlight of session calling a chunky river bet and being good with AK high. board was such i didnt think hes go as large with value hands. i was right, but in hindsight i think a fold is still correct. overall it went well though. 

Very positive start to this challenge, and one thats got me really enjoying poker again. i think having something to work towards is being a big positive on me.

1hr played
    +£8.03
    Current Bankroll: £225.38
    Total Profit: £25.38
  • Options
    TimmyRaRaTimmyRaRa Member Posts: 906
    edited October 2015
    Nice solid start Don keep it up.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    day three

day started bad, missed first lesson at college was feeling horrid, felt better after some sleep and went in for afternoon political structures. Was really good, some good debates, and an upcomming class debate on the upcomming 2017 EU referendum. 

session was small around 1hr 15 mins give or take. Started well winning a 3 way flip aip, guy open ships 40bigs, SB calls i reship jacks in BB. SB calls. Shover KQ, sb 24s. held v both. 

That was the high point of the session. the rest was abit of variance and failing to fold a couple of spots i should be capable of. couple of BBY etc.

1hr 15mins played
    Current Bankroll: £217.98
    Total Profit: £17.98
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    first lesson, day 4

First driving lesson today. went reasonablely well. Couple of basic things i'd forgotten and the rest was down to nerves. Thats a quick fix. Instructor felt really good, i know its first lesson so hard to tell but really liked the way she explained things  and didn't panic. She's got a plan of action which suits me aswell. car felt good although really struggling to work out where the biting point is, she said she could hear when it was happening but i couldn't and didnt have an obvious feel to it like i remember from the past cars i learnt in. 

Also had a kilt fitting done today for brothers wedding. Felt rather heavy which i was shocked at. also **** redic the price.

session one of the day was good. started off where i finnished last night, some pretty sick hands going against me, such is poker. held my own and nl4 is always a good place to be when ur running well, someone always trys a sceptical call down or a stange bluff you can pick off that obv while it is a form of +ev helps tackle the variance. ran through that for the first 20 mins or so, didnt give too much up. One error later calling a river bet that was a routine fold. 

1hr played
    Current Bankroll: £228.71
    Total Profit: £28.71
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Day 7

Sorry for no update, challenge very much still on. took sunday and spent some time with family, monday is a no go between college and pool at night. Tuesday i was overloaded with homework i needed to get done and yesterday i just wasn't in the mood. A perfect little storm but that won't keep us down. 

Still have alot of homework to do, some for tomorrow but its a tutorial so due to the reading i left it till tonight so its very much in the memory, will re-read it later on. Marx is a very interesting subject and looking forward to the debate on it in class. 

So i managed to squeeze in an hour, or just under but calling it an hour for ease. Was pretty meh, felt i played well, on the wrong end of a few coolers, basically just punnishment for low volume. 

1hr played
    -£6.31
    Current Bankroll: £222.40
    Total Profit: £22.40
  • Options
    edited October 2015
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Days 8/9

Yesterday played a session hour. Tables where the softest I've seen for a long time, and thats saying something. Ran meh although made a couple of huge errors aswell which didnt help. The one that made me decide to end the session was misreading board on 943r not sure what i thought it was but folded 33 to a single bet. Very very amatuer. Decided after that incident i was best standing. 

Second driving lesson today, went pretty horrific. Instructer thought i was further ahead than i was with previous lessons, decided to put me on the A7-A68 connecting road, by far the busiest I've ever been on and being honest i panicked. Not ideal. Driving back felt much better though so its just practice.

1hr played
    -£2.77
    Current Bankroll: £219.63
    Total Profit: £19.63

• Options
    edited October 2015
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day - New goals, in poker and life:
    Tables where the softest I've seen for a long time, and thats saying something.  

1hr played 
    Posted by The_Don90