You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Every Don has its day

Comments

• Options
    calcalfoldcalcalfold Member Posts: 978
    edited March 2013
    Why are playing 20nl off a £400 roll? especially as you are not beating 10nl on a consistent basis yet.

• Options
    The_Don90The_Don90 Member Posts: 9,751
    edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day.:
    PM sent mate
    Posted by _ARAZI_

Seen and replied Daz. cheers

In Response to Re: Every Don has its day.:
    Why are playing 20nl off a £400 roll? especially as you are not beating 10nl on a consistent basis yet.
    Posted by calcalfold

Lots to mention in an honest reply of this. 

1) Im not a cash player, therefore beating any level on a consistant basis for me is a massive challenge. 

2) I mix up NL10 and NL20 because i think it is fun, and £400 is stable for a small dabble for fun at NL20 as long as I'm aware i may have to move down/ 

3) I will most likely never beat cash on a consistant basis, but playing NL20 for a week ive learned more and added more to my game than months at NL10. 

4) Going by last couple of sessions, where bad beats, and a couple of tilty mistakes, i fully believe long term its soft enough to make money on. 
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Day 7 - Complete

I played for a while mid afternoon and a mixed session finnished about £15 up. That was a strong result given i started terrible. 

The next session i made a small loss. About a tenner, this was the opposite on above session. I flopped a set v TPTK and TPQK and got paid max from both. One left and got replaced, and basically i made a mistake, got outdraw several times and the profit was gone with interest. 

I decided to have a sleep. I can blame run bad but i also wasn't playing very good. However i woke up about midnight and thought meh stuff it, friday night, never a ebetter time to put a winning session in. 

A quick introduction to losing was swift. However I plugged away and grinded on. Finnishing with about a £5 profit. 

Bankroll: £328.99

975 points already wtf. Really shows I've increased grind percentage. Although obviously being at a higher level helps. I know today has seen a strong loss, but  i think alot of that can be explained from mistakes. I recovered the "runbad" losses once i started playing better. I think this is important that I've kept it to a minimum and i can press on in future. Table selection is getting better as i gain notes, and I must admit i feel I'm adapting better to this level than i did to other levels in my previous adventures. 
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to  Re: Every Don has its day. : Seen and replied Daz. cheers In Response to Re: Every Don has its day. : Lots to mention in an honest reply of this.  1) Im not a cash player, therefore beating any level on a consistant basis for me is a massive challenge.  2) I mix up NL10 and NL20 because i think it is fun, and £400 is stable for a small dabble for fun at NL20 as long as I'm aware i may have to move down/  3) I will most likely never beat cash on a consistant basis, but playing NL20 for a week ive learned more and added more to my game than months at NL10.  4) Going by last couple of sessions, where bad beats, and a couple of tilty mistakes, i fully believe long term its soft enough to make money on. 
    Posted by The_Don90

I think you have the ability to beat cash, from what I have seen.

The only thing is mixing between 4nl and 20nl you will need different skill sets to beat each, 4nl is just abc poker, whereas you might need a little more deception at 20nl.

I would tend to agree about 20nl being beatable, I hope to become a winner at 10nl and get there eventually.

imo I would not be worried about your poker points, if the only reason you were playing 20nl was to get more points, I would say its a mistake as your main aim is to be winning cash from the table long term.

all intended as constructive points, rather than criticism.

Best wishes.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yeah full respect. As you say you need different skill sets, and honestly i dont have great disipline. If you'd been around from me previous diarys that would be more than obvious. NL4 alot of it is disipline. 

I don't worry so much about points, i use them as a pointer for how often I'm grinding. As you say though more for NL20 than NL4, although i think at Nl4 that would still be around 400 right now, which would still be strong in comparission with previous months. 
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Day 8 

Ive decided to stop playing for today. I have played 2 small sessions. In both i have won a combined 1 hand of a value more than 5BB. that was KK v 77. I have lost v every single draw when im huge. I cant beat fish its simple as that. Compelete redic. 

I mean Ive been against maybe 15 draws all day. Ive lost to 14 of them, the 15th i also lost because it was 3 way, and i got bluffed off the best hand. I dont know why i bother. 9 gutshots v me 9 gutshots hit. 4 flush draws, 3 flush draws hit. 

Flop top two pair on the BB in a limped pot. get it all in v slow played aces. Guess your turn!

Im sorry but long term game. WTF is that. I know im not the best player in the world but serious. 

Im seriously close to just withdrawing and giving up. Same **** every time i play. Play well gain a roll, then redic suckouts every ******* hand. 

Bankroll: £267.51

• Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    edited March 2013

Don, dont go off on 1 m8, from what i can see you have turned 20 into just under 3ton in less that a month ffs.

Ok, you suffered a bad session, get over it, please dont return to type and quit AGAIN. 

You have the game and have proven it so just stick at it, drop down a level andkeep going.
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited March 2013
    It's poker Donald, it's the way it is and the way it will always be. I know of players FAR better than you and me who have lost 60 BIs in the space of a week or two.

This has been said loads before but poker can be REALLY brutal sometimes, and if you can't handle it, then you're never gonna be happy playing the game.
  • Options
    rancidrancid Member Posts: 5,928
    edited March 2013
    u still don't get it

they have to win the minority, which allows you to win the majority

you going to have losing sessions

• Options
    ACEGOONERACEGOONER Member Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day. : I think you have the ability to beat cash, from what I have seen. The only thing is mixing between 4nl and 20nl you will need different skill sets to beat each, 4nl is just abc poker, whereas you might need a little more deception at 20nl. I would tend to agree about 20nl being beatable, I hope to become a winner at 10nl and get there eventually. imo I would not be worried about your poker points, if the only reason you were playing 20nl was to get more points, I would say its a mistake as your main aim is to be winning cash from the table long term. all intended as constructive points, rather than criticism. Best wishes.
    Posted by calcalfold
    I've played nl20 allbeit at mastercash tables, and I havent seen anything out of the ordinary, its like every level up to nl50, the nitty regs prevail. Theres a few laggy nutters, but nothing the don cant deal with. 

In my experience, the best way to get over a setback is to mix it up, play mtt's too, they are v soft at lower levels on sky. 
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    If you use correct BRM this will not be an issue.

Sorry, I cannot beleive they were all suckouts. You might have played some of the hands in a way you thought was right, but in reality was not.

I strongly advise playing two 4nl tables for an hour and recording it, then posting online for people to critique (Assuming Sky are ok with this - I would ask first)

You might not be in the right frame of mind to agree, but I think there is a few areas in your game to address. It is not the fishes fault.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
       Don, dont go off on 1 m8, from what i can see you have turned 20 into just under 3ton in less that a month ffs.   Ok, you suffered a bad session, get over it, please dont return to type and quit AGAIN.     You have the game and have proven it so just stick at it, drop down a level andkeep going.
    Posted by pomfrittes

I dropped to NL10 earlier for a diff reason (table selection). And im not quitted not atm, you know what my post bad session posts are like. Expessially after a few bad sessions. 

It's poker Donald, it's the way it is and the way it will always be. I know of players FAR better than you and me who have lost 60 BIs in the space of a week or two. This has been said loads before but poker can be REALLY brutal sometimes, and if you can't handle it, then you're never gonna be happy playing the game.
    Posted by Lambert180

I know

u still don't get it they have to win the minority, which allows you to win the majority you going to have losing sessions
    Posted by rancid

9/9 is a minority ok then. And fwiw i understand we having losing sessions. But to lose half a months earnings in 2 days is redic. 

In Response to Re: Every Don has its day. : I've played nl20 allbeit at mastercash tables, and I havent seen anything out of the ordinary, its like every level up to nl50, the nitty regs prevail. Theres a few laggy nutters, but nothing the don cant deal with.  In my experience, the best way to get over a setback is to mix it up, play mtt's too, they are v soft at lower levels on sky. 
    Posted by ACEGOONER

Glad you think so

If you use correct BRM this will not be an issue. Sorry, I cannot beleive they were all suckouts. You might have played some of the hands in a way you thought was right, but in reality was not. I strongly advise playing two 4nl tables for an hour and recording it, then posting online for people to critique (Assuming Sky are ok with this - I would ask first) You might not be in the right frame of mind to agree, but I think there is a few areas in your game to address. It is not the fishes fault.
    Posted by calcalfold

BRM and this wouldnt be an issue. Ive explained this in the past, i have tilt issues and its not BRM related. 

Believe what you like. And i believe i've done the recording a session thing before, in fact i think i was one of the first on sky (if not the first) to do it. 

Fwiw i think you know what its like to have a bad session, it was only 6 days ago you where moaning about fish on NL4 and how much harder it was to beat "sunday button mashers"
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited March 2013
    Day 8  Ive decided to stop playing for today. I have played 2 small sessions. In both i have won a combined 1 hand of a value more than 5BB. that was KK v 77. I have lost v every single draw when im huge. I cant beat fish its simple as that. Compelete redic.  I mean Ive been against maybe 15 draws all day. Ive lost to 14 of them, the 15th i also lost because it was 3 way, and i got bluffed off the best hand. I dont know why i bother. 9 gutshots v me 9 gutshots hit. 4 flush draws, 3 flush draws hit.  Flop top two pair on the BB in a limped pot. get it all in v slow played aces. Guess your turn! Im sorry but long term game. WTF is that. I know im not the best player in the world but serious.  Im seriously close to just withdrawing and giving up. Same **** every time i play. Play well gain a roll, then redic suckouts every ******* hand.  Bankroll: £267.51 Points: 1024
    Posted by The_Don90

Stop counting ;)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Every Don has its day. : Stop counting ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

sigh you could have posted this 5 mins ago and Id have got u in bove post. 

I knew this was comming. 
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2013
    At least Rangers have an easy game today... should cruise to a home win against Annan! Who are Annan?

:)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    "Fwiw i think you know what its like to have a bad session, it was only 6 days ago you where moaning about fish on NL4 and how much harder it was to beat "sunday button mashers"

There is a moan about increased weekend variance, and then there is toys out of the pram overload a la the above.

Tilt is very BRM related, you might not be conscious of it, but dropping 25% of you bankroll in one session will impact you in a much worse way, compared to a 5% drop.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    *Hits ignore greghogg* ;) 

"Fwiw i think you know what its like to have a bad session, it was only 6 days ago you where moaning about fish on NL4 and how much harder it was to beat "sunday button mashers" There is a moan about increased weekend variance, and then there is toys out of the pram overload a la the above. Tilt is very BRM related, you might not be conscious of it, but dropping 25% of you bankroll in one session will impact you in a much worse way, compared to a 5% drop.
    Posted by calcalfold
    Sir i respectfully request that unless you understand how my mind works, to not attempt to lecture me on BRM. 

I have taken a rough patch of variance. I vented and have taken a wee while off enough said. 

As someone else said i turned £20 into £400 in a month, yes ive had a bad couple of days, actually looking over hands atm. However rght now im losing to the "sunday button mashers" im not complaining. 
  • Options
    GREGHOGGGREGHOGG Member Posts: 7,155
    edited March 2013
    *Hits ignore greghogg* ;)  In Response to Re: Every Don has its day. : Sir i respectfully request that unless you understand how my mind works, to not attempt to lecture me on BRM.  I have taken a rough patch of variance. I vented and have taken a wee while off enough said.  As someone else said i turned £20 into £400 in a month, yes ive had a bad couple of days, actually looking over hands atm. However rght now im losing to the "sunday button mashers" im not complaining. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    How does your mind work?
  • Options
    rancidrancid Member Posts: 5,928
    edited March 2013
    playing with 20 bins will always be tough escpially when variance kicks you in the teeth

Look on the bright side - run good is coming )

Yeah and stop counting )

Just count how mnay times your going in in front and behind and see if your doing the right thing
    If your doing it correct then run good will come

• Options
    edited March 2013
    playing with 20 bins will always be tough escpially when variance kicks you in the teeth Look on the bright side - run good is coming ) Yeah and stop counting ) Just count how mnay times your going in in front and behind and see if your doing the right thing If your doing it correct then run good will come
    Posted by rancid
    Yeah i agree. I'm gna drop to NL10 and play only the softer NL20 tables. Although given 90% are filled with regs means thats not gna change much anyways. lol. 

As you say variance can kick you in the teeth,