You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,547
    Tikay10 said:

For balance, it's not easy for the Government when the public are so divided. The obduracy of the various Opposition parties has not helped. When will they realise that we and they all have to compromise? There's simply no answer that is acceptable to a reasonable majority.

Billy Bragg just posted this on Twitter, which is extraordinary & shows how difficult all this is;

This poll has obviously given each of those involved a vote on each of the options.

A more valid exercise may have been to have just given those one vote, on a choice of all the options, to establish which solution most people are in favour of.

Finding out what people are against is exactly what they have done in Parliament, and has not really helped.
  • Options
    dobiesdrawdobiesdraw Member Posts: 2,793
    edited May 2019

How the pollsters got it wrong on the EU referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/how-eu-referendum-pollsters-wrong-opinion-predict-close
    It wasn’t just a bad night for Europhiles and David Cameron, but also for pollsters, who misread the mood of the electorate in the run-up to the vote.

Of 168 polls carried out since the EU referendum wording was decided last September, fewer than a third (55 in all) predicted a leave vote.

The actual result on the night came in at 51.9% leave, 48.1% remain. Just 16 of 168 individual polls predicted a 52:48 split in favour of leave.

Polls did give a sense of the swing to leave in the first weeks of June, but edged back to favour remain in the final days before the vote. Just two of six polls released the day before the referendum – those carried out by TNS and Opinium – gave leave the edge.
    The first and last of the polls that predicted the correct split were taken by Survation, which put the vote at 52% leave, 48% remain on both 4 September and 15 June. The polling company reversed that position in the days that followed; a poll it published on 20 June put the remain vote at 51%.

Polling companies came under intense scrutiny after they failed to call the general election of May 2015. On that occasion, both the pollsters and the bookies failed to predict the Conservative overall majority in the election, although the .

In the run-up to the Scottish independence referendum in 2014, a number of pollsters called a yes vote, although most were correct in saying that Scotland would stay in the UK.

In the run-up to the EU referendum, there were 14 separate occasions between 17 November and 17 June when the polls predicted a dead heat between the sides. (In all cases undecided voters have been excluded in these calculations.)

The What UK Thinks poll of polls, which looked at the average share of the vote for leave and remain across six polls at a time, shows that the pollsters were closest to the result in mid-June, when the polling average put the result at between 51% and 53% for leave.
  • Options

‘The EU is KILLING Europe’ - Brexit backer launches FIERY attack on Brussels over trade

THE ECONOMIC record of the European Union has come under fierce attack by leading Brexit advocate Douglas Carswell, who argued Brussels is “killing Europe”
    The former MP for Clacton made the argument on Thursday at an event hosted by pro-free market publication 1828. Mr Carswell took particular aim at the Euro currency, which he claimed had produced “nothing but poverty and debt”. He argued Brexit is an opportunity for the UK to push a ‘Heyekian’ policy based on boosting free trade.
    The prominent Brexiteer commented: “For generations the mantra of our ruling elites in every European country, was that European integration was the key to the strength and success and prosperity of Europe.

“Absolute twaddle. Since 2009 the output of China has grown by 139 percent. Of India by 96 percent.

“The output of the Eurozone since 2009 is down minus two percent.”

Mr Carswell was first elected as MP for Clacton in 2005 on a Conservative ticket.

In 2014 he sensationally defected to UKIP, retaining his seat in both a by-election and the subsequent 2015 General Election.

The Brexiteer later quit UKIP and served out his term as an independent.

Mr Carswell argued overregulation from Brussels has strangled economies across Europe.

He asserted: “Look at the EU’s attempt to order Europe by design.

“It’s got a currency created by experts that has created nothing but poverty and debt.

“Since 1992 Europe’s trade has grown much more slowly than the rest of the world

“It creates uniform rules so a 35 hour working week, data rules, the belief that someone in Brussels knows what data can and can’t do in the future.

“It’s killing Europe, it’s killing European innovation. It’s a disaster I would say.”

The UK had been set to depart the EU on March 29.

This has since been delayed twice, to October 31, unless Theresa May’s Brexit deal is approved by Parliament.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1125682/Brexit-news-EU-exit-backer-Brussels-European-regulation-Douglas-Carswell-UKIP-Brexit-Party

Which bits of this do you like, or approve of?
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Oh well , if Billy Bragg posted a poll , it must be accurate . :D
    Seriously , where does this nonsense poll originate from ? how many people contributed ? when was it taken ? cross referencing ? ...etc etc
    More remainer nonsense .

Billy Bragg Re-Tweeted it. The original Tweet was by Mike Smithson PB, who describes himself as;

"Election analyst and gambler who's been running his award winning blog since 2004"

Here's his Wiki page;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Smithson_(British_journalist)

Here's his Blog;

http://www.politicalbetting.com/

His Tweet is here;

It is based on a Poll was by ComRes, these people;

https://www.comresglobal.com/

Here's their Wiki page;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ComRes

ComRes said of this Poll;

The poll was conducted between ComRes surveyed 2,018 GB adults online between 5th – 7th April 2019. Data were weighted to be demographically representative of all GB adults by age, gender, region and social grade as well as 2017 General Election and 2016 EU Referendum past vote recall. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.

The Poll was commissioned by The Daily Telegraph.

Here's the full Poll & range of questions & responses;

https://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/The-Telegraph-Brexit-and-VI-April-2019.pdf

I have no idea if it is accurate or not, though by most measures it looks to me to be reasonably constructed. I'm not in a position to challenge any of it's findings, & I have no beef with those who prefer to ignore or discard it's findings.

It just seems a useful piece of data to add to the debate.

Pots and kettles spring to mind as she has posted a ComRes poll on the other thread, the result of that is more to her liking.

The ComRes survey of voting intentions put Brexit on 21 per cent to the Conservatives' 20, which would see Farage's team win 49 seats, becoming the UK's second biggest party after Labour, with 137
    Andrew Hawkins, the chairman of ComRes, described the poll as a 'disaster', adding: 'If the Conservative leadership contenders are not careful, there will be no party for them to lead.'
    There wouldn't be much point in quoting a poll that didn't support your views would there
    That said , doesn't mean you shouldn't take a large pinch of salt with any of them .
    So why do you quote polls then?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

Seriously , where does this nonsense poll originate from ? how many people contributed ? when was it taken ? cross referencing ? ...etc etc
    More remainer nonsense .

Billy Bragg Re-Tweeted it. The original Tweet was by Mike Smithson PB, who describes himself as;

"Election analyst and gambler who's been running his award winning blog since 2004"

Here's his Wiki page;

Here's his Blog;

His Tweet is here;

Here's their Wiki page;

The poll was conducted between ComRes surveyed 2,018 GB adults online between 5th – 7th April 2019. Data were weighted to be demographically representative of all GB adults by age, gender, region and social grade as well as 2017 General Election and 2016 EU Referendum past vote recall. ComRes is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.

https://www.comresglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/The-Telegraph-Brexit-and-VI-April-2019.pdf

I have no idea if it is accurate or not, though by most measures it looks to me to be reasonably constructed. I'm not in a position to challenge any of it's findings, & I have no beef with those who prefer to ignore or discard it's findings.

Pots and kettles spring to mind as she has posted a ComRes poll on the other thread, the result of that is more to her liking.

The ComRes survey of voting intentions put Brexit on 21 per cent to the Conservatives' 20, which would see Farage's team win 49 seats, becoming the UK's second biggest party after Labour, with 137
    Andrew Hawkins, the chairman of ComRes, described the poll as a 'disaster', adding: 'If the Conservative leadership contenders are not careful, there will be no party for them to lead.'
    There wouldn't be much point in quoting a poll that didn't support your views would there
    That said , doesn't mean you shouldn't take a large pinch of salt with any of them .
    Why do you ?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

‘The EU is KILLING Europe’ - Brexit backer launches FIERY attack on Brussels over trade

THE ECONOMIC record of the European Union has come under fierce attack by leading Brexit advocate Douglas Carswell, who argued Brussels is “killing Europe”
    The former MP for Clacton made the argument on Thursday at an event hosted by pro-free market publication 1828. Mr Carswell took particular aim at the Euro currency, which he claimed had produced “nothing but poverty and debt”. He argued Brexit is an opportunity for the UK to push a ‘Heyekian’ policy based on boosting free trade.
    The prominent Brexiteer commented: “For generations the mantra of our ruling elites in every European country, was that European integration was the key to the strength and success and prosperity of Europe.

“Absolute twaddle. Since 2009 the output of China has grown by 139 percent. Of India by 96 percent.

“The output of the Eurozone since 2009 is down minus two percent.”

Mr Carswell was first elected as MP for Clacton in 2005 on a Conservative ticket.

In 2014 he sensationally defected to UKIP, retaining his seat in both a by-election and the subsequent 2015 General Election.

The Brexiteer later quit UKIP and served out his term as an independent.

Mr Carswell argued overregulation from Brussels has strangled economies across Europe.

He asserted: “Look at the EU’s attempt to order Europe by design.

“It’s got a currency created by experts that has created nothing but poverty and debt.

“Since 1992 Europe’s trade has grown much more slowly than the rest of the world

“It creates uniform rules so a 35 hour working week, data rules, the belief that someone in Brussels knows what data can and can’t do in the future.

“It’s killing Europe, it’s killing European innovation. It’s a disaster I would say.”

The UK had been set to depart the EU on March 29.

This has since been delayed twice, to October 31, unless Theresa May’s Brexit deal is approved by Parliament.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1125682/Brexit-news-EU-exit-backer-Brussels-European-regulation-Douglas-Carswell-UKIP-Brexit-Party

Which bits of this do you like, or approve of?
    What about you ?
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

More remainer nonsense .
    And as an aside , using words that most people have never heard of like " obduracy " doesn't add to the validity of a post in the slightest .

Congratulations, this is the most rude, arrogant, and uncalled for post in my recent memory.

Probably since the last time you did it.

It strikes me as hilarious that you are using the same source for posts you have made on another thread.

To describe a poll as nonsense without knowing the source, is obviously silly.

Are you somehow setting yourself up as some sort of polling expert?

If so maybe you could share your credentials with the rest of us?

How could you describe a poll regarding all the possible Brexit outcomes as Remainer nonsense?

Billy Bragg is a Labour Party member, yet none of the results seem biased towards Labour?

Do you think that criticising the vocabulary used by someone else is at all relevant?

If so why?

I haven't got a clue of who you think you are, but I am certain that your view does not coincide with the view that others have of you.

I don't really wish to know the answers to these questions, and was quite happy at the thought that you had given me you last bit of airtime.

You may wish to bear that in mind.

Personally I think you have some nerve to to accuse anyone of being rude and arrogant , take a long hard look in the mirror and look at some of the hogwash you have typed on here over the months .
    You are patently spoiling for an argument this morning as your life is obv pretty empty , so more than happy to oblige .
    Incidentally , I'm quite sure Tikay doesn't need anyone to " protect " him , and nor did he ask anyone to . Furthermore , I'm quite sure that if as moderator he has any probs with anything anyone says , he will " moderate " it . Your input is not required !
    That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
    So is this finally the last bit of airtime?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

More remainer nonsense .
    And as an aside , using words that most people have never heard of like " obduracy " doesn't add to the validity of a post in the slightest .

Congratulations, this is the most rude, arrogant, and uncalled for post in my recent memory.

It strikes me as hilarious that you are using the same source for posts you have made on another thread.

How could you describe a poll regarding all the possible Brexit outcomes as Remainer nonsense?

Billy Bragg is a Labour Party member, yet none of the results seem biased towards Labour?

Do you think that criticising the vocabulary used by someone else is at all relevant?

If so why?

I haven't got a clue of who you think you are, but I am certain that your view does not coincide with the view that others have of you.

I don't really wish to know the answers to these questions, and was quite happy at the thought that you had given me you last bit of airtime.

Personally I think you have some nerve to to accuse anyone of being rude and arrogant , take a long hard look in the mirror and look at some of the hogwash you have typed on here over the months .
    You are patently spoiling for an argument this morning as your life is obv pretty empty , so more than happy to oblige .
    Incidentally , I'm quite sure Tikay doesn't need anyone to " protect " him , and nor did he ask anyone to . Furthermore , I'm quite sure that if as moderator he has any probs with anything anyone says , he will " moderate " it . Your input is not required !
    That is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
    So is this finally the last bit of airtime?
    Depends if I change my mind , I'll let you know .
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2019

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:

Tikay10 said:

More remainer nonsense .

Here's his Wiki page;

Here's his Blog;

His Tweet is here;

Here's their Wiki page;

Why do you ?
    Because I don't knock them.
  • Options

Essexphil Posts: 1,817Member
    May 10
    dobiesdraw said:

» show previous quotes
    This is my conclusion and it hasn't changed from yesterday :

" You pretty much found your level when you decided to post a succession of crude , immature pe nis pictures , so why anyone would take anything you have to say as being considered is beyond me ."
    Because @Haysie is providing a whole load of detail as to how your position has changed, and you are now deriding people who held your opinion.

You cannot argue on the facts, so you resort to smear tactics alone.

Having said all that, I DID think the particular posts were inappropriate. However, you trying to use that to deflect from the fact that you are being absolutely mullered is not going to work.
  • Options
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,306

madprof said:

What happened to not insulting people ? Now who’s being obdurate

Knew you couldn't go a whole week without finding something of mine to jump on . Very sad !
    If the cap fits...you scream 'troll'/ be nice people, yet to continue to demean people when it suits your agenda

As I've said in the past, what you post is irrelevant to me-most of it it tedious, repetitive and copied from the Sun anyway-, yet your inability to reflect on what and how you post things is staggering....I've previously given you credit for being an intelligent, mature(that's old btw) person and will continue to publicly question you when you choose to be so rude....

Now here's a skill you can try/practice? It's called reflection

Do you genuinely believe TK deserved to have the response you gave him to his post?

Go on try...it won't hurt

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

More remainer nonsense .

If so why?

@HAYSIE

I know you were being rhetorical with your questions but ooops, there I go again, using long words...btw why are you so obdurate, Tony?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    madprof said:

madprof said:

What happened to not insulting people ? Now who’s being obdurate

Knew you couldn't go a whole week without finding something of mine to jump on . Very sad !
    If the cap fits...you scream 'troll'/ be nice people, yet to continue to demean people when it suits your agenda

As I've said in the past, what you post is irrelevant to me-most of it it tedious, repetitive and copied from the Sun anyway-, yet your inability to reflect on what and how you post things is staggering....I've previously given you credit for being an intelligent, mature(that's old btw) person and will continue to publicly question you when you choose to be so rude....

Now here's a skill you can try/practice? It's called reflection

Do you genuinely believe TK deserved to have the response you gave him to his post?

Go on try...it won't hurt

There you go poking your nose into things that don't concern you once again .
    You have consistently sought out my posts to comment on and deliberately trolled me from the start , sorry you don't like the word " troll " , but that's exactly what you are.
    Once again , if you find what I post irrelevant , then there is no need for you to comment on any of it , simple really .
    If we are talking about reflection , I would strongly advise you spend some time thinking what your motives are for jumping on whatever I post , we both know the answer .
    No one needs you putting on a white knight act, and act is exactly what it is .
    Carry on , and I will continue to retort to you in equal measures .

• Options
    Reluctantly, I will probably have to withdraw my 'credit'....

"Poking my nose into things that don't concern me...again"

I'll explain a simple principle, using a more extreme but probably relevant example so you can understand a basic, civilised approach....

eg IF a black guy was verbally abused about his colour by someone else, I can say something to the abuser about how inappropriate their comments are , even if the black guy being abused says he "doesn't mind, it doesn't matter, just ignore it...etc"

I can be offended FOR him - even when you hide behind your own keyboard commando defence of "they don't need my protection/poking my nose in etc" You are cor

I can(and will continue to)speak out SO

Most of what you post is irrelevant-so I don't comment, simple really

Some of what you keyboard commandos post about others- lest you forget, my opening remarks to you where when you chose to publicly demean someone about their grammar and spelling- I will when I read them chose to comment about them

Reflection isn't just about looking in a mirror....here's a thought?

I probably didn't comment on your posts for a whole week, though I wasn't checking/counting the days because

a) I didn't read them
    b) I didn't see any eg -other than @Haysie being abused by you
    c) thankfully you were on holiday I believe so there was at least a few days respite from the cacophony of posts identifying when the one remaining Chuckle brother was appearing in Pantomime-oh yes he is, oh no he isn't- that's Herr Farage btw

Remember the figures - If this government doesn't just revoke A50 and succumbs to the genuine will of the people for a second referendum = 60% + REMAIN...
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    madprof said:

Reluctantly, I will probably have to withdraw my 'credit'....

"Poking my nose into things that don't concern me...again"

I'll explain a simple principle, using a more extreme but probably relevant example so you can understand a basic, civilised approach....

eg IF a black guy was verbally abused about his colour by someone else, I can say something to the abuser about how inappropriate their comments are , even if the black guy being abused says he "doesn't mind, it doesn't matter, just ignore it...etc"

I can be offended FOR him - even when you hide behind your own keyboard commando defence of "they don't need my protection/poking my nose in etc" You are cor

I can(and will continue to)speak out SO

Most of what you post is irrelevant-so I don't comment, simple really

Some of what you keyboard commandos post about others- lest you forget, my opening remarks to you where when you chose to publicly demean someone about their grammar and spelling- I will when I read them chose to comment about them

Reflection isn't just about looking in a mirror....here's a thought?

I probably didn't comment on your posts for a whole week, though I wasn't checking/counting the days because

a) I didn't read them
    b) I didn't see any eg -other than @Haysie being abused by you
    c) thankfully you were on holiday I believe so there was at least a few days respite from the cacophony of posts identifying when the one remaining Chuckle brother was appearing in Pantomime-oh yes he is, oh no he isn't- that's Herr Farage btw

Remember the figures - If this government doesn't just revoke A50 and succumbs to the genuine will of the people for a second referendum = 60% + REMAIN...

You are obviously intent on carrying it on today , so be it .
    The keyboard commando comment , is laughable in the extreme ...from someone who deliberately seeks out my posts , and whether it be by a sly comment on another thread that relates to it , or constant barracking on one of my threads . What do you think that makes you ? You like other attention seekers , hate being ignored , so you have to piggyback other conversations to hit the limelight .
    Being outraged on behalf of someone over a comment , that the recipient didn't take much notice of , is funny beyond words .
    I've got all day , if you are intent on derailing this thread ..knock yourself out .
  • Options
    Outrage would be too strong a word....that's a Farage/Brexiteer sort of word!

Clearly you didn't understand the concepts being proposed..so back to the mines for you I'm afraid
  • Options

More remainer nonsense .

On reflection , I think my post was unnecessarily abrupt and appreciate that it could be considered to be rude . So @Tikay10 you have my apologies if you viewed it in this way .
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,292

@dobiesdraw

No worries, but thank you.

The Brexit threads are a car crash some days, all I want is that we have a good constructive debate where we can learn stuff about this Brexit process.

And that's exactly what has happened the last few hours, good debate, points going back & forth, & I'm learning all sorts that I never knew previously, & I'm sure that goes for others too. The thread will attract more contributors too.

Peace out to everyone on the Brexit threads.