You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

20k in 2020!

Comments

• Options
    NoEa5yCa5hNoEa5yCa5h Member Posts: 608

Just got smashed by the fine folk of the morning games!

I know a fair few of the players read this, but not many ever talk much at the tables or comment here whereas I always enjoy a bit of banter and heckling! :D

On that note, just for fun, here's my morning sched powerrrrrrr rrrrrankings:

1) Angmar2626
    2) @NoEa5yCa5h
    3) @steveysee
    4) @3265
    5) @Viking25

BR: £1905

Perhaps an independent view is best here... off the top of my head and in no way being results orientated ( :D ) .... let's use Sharkscope's ability rankings:

• Options
    Viking25Viking25 Member Posts: 46
    edited January 2020

Viking25 said:

I know a fair few of the players read this, but not many ever talk much at the tables or comment here whereas I always enjoy a bit of banter and heckling! :D

1) Angmar2626
    2) @NoEa5yCa5h
    3) @steveysee
    4) @3265
    5) @Viking25

Self-praise is no praise my friend! :wink:
    It's tongue in cheek :kissing_heart:

You've made double my profit so far this year so who's the real winner.
    There's plenty of time for variance to catch up with me! Good luck if you're playing today.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Viking25 said:

Viking25 said:

1) Angmar2626
    2) @NoEa5yCa5h
    3) @steveysee
    4) @3265
    5) @Viking25

There's plenty of time for variance to catch up with me! Good luck if you're playing today.
    Got orchestra stuff to do for the next few days but will hopefully put in a Sunday eve session! You never really play evenings do you?

Glgl to you too
  • Options
    Viking25Viking25 Member Posts: 46

Viking25 said:

Viking25 said:

1) Angmar2626
    2) @NoEa5yCa5h
    3) @steveysee
    4) @3265
    5) @Viking25

Got orchestra stuff to do for the next few days but will hopefully put in a Sunday eve session! You never really play evenings do you?

Glgl to you too
    Yeah I often play Sunday evenings, undecided whether I'll fire up a session this week but good luck if you end up playing.
  • Options
    Bleurgh, pretty frustrating few sessions...

Keep having a winning day that gets me to within easy reach of the 2k mark, and then getting destroyed the next day. Today was just absolutely ridiculous, probably my worst day of runouts in 5 years of playing. All part of the game!

Going to take a few days off. I had a Primed Mind subscription about a year ago. Think I'll get one again as that really helped with this sort of stuff.

BR: £1878
  • Options
    No doubt you'll get there soon. What's the plan when you do (ditching the morning schedule :p)?
  • Options
    Thanks! Yeah plan to play afternoons because there are some higher buy-in games running on the other site so even with playing all the Sky 5.50s etc can still get a higher ABI overall. That said, I've noticed when I am starting later I can reg about 11am and still reg a good chunk of the morning schedule, so don't worry I'm sure we'll still have some battles!

I normally play pretty high cbet frequency with a small sizing, but recently against you as I'm sure you've noticed I've been mostly delay cbetting. Was getting check/raised an absurd amount, plus I think having all of my stronger hands in my check back range lets me delay cbet all my random garbage too without you being able to do too much about it. Normally I'd say it's a problem only being able to get 2 streets of value but in pots v you there's often 3 or 4 bets going in on the river in random levelling battles so I think it's fine haha. So many "This guy..!" spots :D
  • Options
    It’s a good battle adjusting and readjusting. It makes me think a little more than I want to be at half 9 in the morning though. I remember a time when the mornings tournaments were a bit more leisurely than they are now, so it’s good to hear you may be starting a little later.
  • Options
    Bit of a non-poker update to mix things up. If it goes down like a lead balloon we can go back to £5.50 power rankings and min cashes :D

My working year is essentially split into three chunks. As a musician the majority of my working time is spent at home learning the music for whichever chunk of the year we're currently in, and then actually heading out to do the music is a relatively smaller undertaking, time-wise. Suppose it would be a bit like sports training versus matches.

The current 'chunk' finishes with the last concert in early April, after which the next chunk will start again mid/late April. At the moment I'm feeling really motivated to really knuckle down and crack on with the prep work at home and doing a lot of ridiculous graft now, so that later in the chunk I'll have way more spare time. In theory it could be that I slog it out now and then for the next 7 weeks or something crazy I just have to go out and do the gigs but have tonnes of time during the day to focus on other things. This won't work 100% as I'll still need reminders and to maintain a certain level so as not to go rusty but nonetheless I'll be a lot more free than usual.

How I want to spend that time, which is pretty much time to myself as most other people are out at work, is:
    -playing poker
    -getting better at poker
    -music production

So far I've been trying to do a bit of all three and to be honest it's quite a struggle to get my head around which to focus on and I've often ended up running round like a headless chicken internally, on top of usual music work. So I'm hoping that once the regular music prep is done, that will provide a lot more clarity for the other things.

Tough to know what the GTO approach to time management with this is though and any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

For example, do you try to split eg a day between all three or do you focus on one for a week, then another, etc, or do you just go with what you fancy on that particular day?

Will probably do a post about production and what I'm doing with that/what I'd like to do at another point, but for now, thanks for reading if you made it this far! :)
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    More of this kind of post please

I haven’t a clue what you should do unfortunately
    I’m haphazard in everything i do
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Thanks! Enjoyed your post about recent swings - made me feel a bit sweaty reading it even though it wasn't my swings!
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Jac35 said:

Thanks! Enjoyed your post about recent swings - made me feel a bit sweaty reading it even though it wasn't my swings!
    Ta
    I don’t particularly enjoy letting the people who aren’t aware that i can be a complete knob know that i can be a complete knob but
    I think it has to be warts and all
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471

I'm with Jac on this one, love to read about how folks earn their livings, & what goes into it.

It's particularly the case when someone has a really interesting profession, & a musician certainly fits that bill.

What sort of work do you do? Concerts, part of an orchestra or band, modern or classical, session musician in recordings, all this would be of huge interest to many of us.

Did you go to music school?

Do you receive a weekly wage, or just get fees when you actually perform?

Best performance you ever gave?

Who is the best guitarist in the world?

I am not familiar with any classical guitarists, so my knowledge is limited to rock musicians, chaps like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour & the like. (Beck is top of my list).
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

I'm with Jac on this one, love to read about how folks earn their livings, & what goes into it.

It's particularly the case when someone has a really interesting profession, & a musician certainly fits that bill.

What sort of work do you do? Concerts, part of an orchestra or band, modern or classical, session musician in recordings, all this would be of huge interest to many of us.

Did you go to music school?

Do you receive a weekly wage, or just get fees when you actually perform?

Best performance you ever gave?

Who is the best guitarist in the world?

I am not familiar with any classical guitarists, so my knowledge is limited to rock musicians, chaps like Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, David Gilmour & the like. (Beck is top of my list).

Thanks!

I'm an orchestra conductor, which probably sounds a lot fancier than it actually is. The swanning around waving a baton is just the tip of a very big iceberg of pretty gruelling work. When it's fun it's really fun though :)

I did indeed go to music school - you have to be able to play something yourself to a pretty reasonable standard before you can wave your arms at people.

You're only paid for time in front of an orchestra (not the prep work at home...) and work comes in peaks and troughs though luckily those peaks and troughs tend to be pretty regular/predictable (split into the aforementioned chunks). You have to be really good with money management though and cash flow is really important. Probably why I'm such a bankroll nit in poker - just engrained into me from real life stuff :D

Erm, I've been on a handful of tours abroad so I guess one of those I'd put as best performance, or favourite at least.

No idea about guitarists I'm afraid! Used to be a big Pink Floyd fan though so I'll pick Gilmour!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471

Whoa - I've just realised who you are.

Should we address you as "Sir"?

PS - Love this man, saw a TV doc about him, fascinating. Must be worth a fortune.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Rattle

• Options
    Haha if he's Messi then I'm probably a Conference player
  • Options
    I just picture you like this at 0.58 when you’ve won another morning mtt

https://youtu.be/1uaLaFNzwgc
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Agree with the others, always enjoy post like these, your job sounds fascinating.
  • Options
    Would've took me a few guesses to get you are a conductor. Don't think I can offer much advice regarding time management, but, FWIW I found making short & long term targets (something which I don't ordinarily do) helps clear the mind and allows me to focus.

Not sure if it's been asked before, what music do you listen to when playing?
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Regarding the time management thing, I'd suggest the GTO approach would be to split your time across at least 2 of your 3 focal point over the course of a day, with small manageable goals in place for each session. This way you're likely to use your time more effectively.

For example, say you wanted to get 6 hours of poker study under your belt. If you elected to do this all in one day, your focus levels will likely be far lower at hour 5 than they are at hour 2, so the benefit gained from the later hours of your study session will probably be significantly less. Break those 6 hours down into 3x 2 hour sessions over 3 different days and you'll likely get through more content and retain more of what you've studied.

Don't be too militant either though. If your really feeling 'in the zone' then ride that wave of focus/enthusiasm out. At the same time, If you start a poker study or music session and 30 mins in you're mentally wading through treacle, fill your time with something else.

In short, prepare bite-size chunks but let yourself feast (or fast) when the appetite calls for it.

For what it's worth, with regards to the above, I'm well aware that I preach far better than I practise!