You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Return of the 'Not Go Busto' Challenge - A Build From £10

Comments

• Options
    gr0wapeargr0wapear Member Posts: 93
    it was nice to be on the same table last night - shame you did not get to hold in those crucial pots but hey, there's always tonight as well :) I cashed for £2.65 in the end in that one
  • Options
    thedazzmanthedazzman Member Posts: 935
    DAY 26

Summary, Thoughts & Ramblings

Another fairly mundane day. I ran a bit better in the MTTs I played. I also hit a Royal Flush. Other than that, fairly standard and not much else to report.

Daily Results

Played: 40

37*£3.30 DYM -- Won 21 | Lost 16
    £1,000 Rewards Freeroll -- 170/1282 (Cashed £1)
    £100 Nightly Micro -- 30/192 (Cashed £0.91)
    £750 Escalating Freeroll - 50 pts -- 94/401

Staked: £122.65
    Winnings: £127.91
    Profit: £5.26
    ROI: 4.29%
    ITM: 57.5%

Overall Progress

Profit: £169.97
    Bonuses: £32.47
    Current Bankroll: £212.44

Good luck at the tables,
    Onwards and upwards
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,270

@thedazzman

You sure know how to get value from that original £10.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@thedazzman

You sure know how to get value from that original £10.

@Tikay10 You're totally right. That's it into its' 4th week. It's certainly kept me occupied, especially during this lockdown. Wouldn't and couldn't be doing much else otherwise.

Usually I'd be bust by the 2nd or 3rd week at the latest, so for that, I am really pleased.

Thanks again for checking in.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    DAY 27

SUMMARY, THOUGHTS & RAMBLINGS
    As I was working a backshift yesterday, I did not play any then. Today, my first 2 sessions of DYMs seemed to be heading in the same direction of the last couple of active days. However, the last session turned out pretty well, and I finished pretty much at peak profit. That puts that 150 tourney break-evenish spell to bed, which I am pleased about.

I played the usual MTTs again, and only cashed in the Escalating Freeroll for £5. The other two were awful as usual. Just not getting many breaks when playing MTTs.

As you can see, I have been playing around with the layout of this entry. I hope it isn't too busy. I will try to include/update the stats and stuff at least on a weekly basis.

One last point, before I get into the waffling stage. I am hoping to get my bankroll to £275 as soon as, so I can start including the £5 DYMs (with 50 buyins). Not only will those help build the points for greater weekly cash rewards, but if I can remotely continue my form into them [any positive ROI would do), I'll be pretty much at the level I'd be content to be able to play comfortably for the longterm.

RESULTS

PROGRESS, STATISTICS & GRAPHS

Daily Progress
    PROGRESS GRAPH
    ^^ click to enlarge ^^

|| May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sept | Oct | Nov | Dec ||
    click for full monthly details

SnG BreakdownDIVIDERMTT Breakdown
    SNG GRAPHDIVIDER MTT GRAPH
    ^^ click to enlarge ^^DIVIDER^^ click to enlarge ^^
    ** Link To Complete SnG Breakdown **DIVIDER** Link To Complete MTT Breakdown **

Overall Stats
    STATS
    ^^ click to enlarge ^^

GOALS, TARGETS & AIMS
    GOALS
    ^^ click to enlarge ^^

Good Luck at that tables
    Onwards & Upwards
  • Options

^^^^ Very organised, & a good day yesterday.

The target of winning the Daily Forum Comp may have to wait another week after ikelly ruined this week's one yesterday. ;)
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Loving the layout @thedazzman B)
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

^^^^ Very organised, & a good day yesterday.

The target of winning the Daily Forum Comp may have to wait another week after ikelly ruined this week's one yesterday. ;)

That was an awesome Double Whammy. I was close last week until the last couple of days. I've had fun in my 3 or so weeks of playing it, and will certainly keep on trying. It's an excellent idea and an all-round positive thing for the forum (along with the other forum run comps).
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    Digging the layout. Digging your results, too.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,283
    Impressive stuff both with the results and the presentation.
  • Options
    Cheers guys.

I'm just in from work, so will probably not play today or at least very few before going to bed. But just wanted to thank you for the comments. It's what keeps me going whilst remaining disciplined motivated and determined.

For any eagle-eyed readers. I noticed an error in the stats image above. The MTT table in my spreadsheet was filtered so only included the rewards freerolls i thnk. I'll sort that for next update. As you can see, I'm a little bit OCD when it comes to perfection and having everything included and correct :D

Good luck at the tables
  • Options
    DAY 28

Nobody likes weekend working, but somebody's gotta do it. So as usual, I could only play in the evening. I was looking forward to playing the escalating freeroll, and I was sitting tight, pretty much card dead, then along came QQ vs AK AIPF. I didn't win. Game over.

My DYM play today started not much better, with a breakeven first session. I think I lost with AA AIPF (against only 1 player each time) on about 6 occasions in that session. That was pretty frustrating. After a little non-smokers' smoke break, the next session seemed to go much more smoothly, winning 8 in a row. So I finished the night with a decent chunk added to my bankroll.

Not a lot else to say about the play today, however, when looking at the results for today I noticed I have played exactly 1000 DYMs since beginning this challenge. So maybe it's an ideal time for a little overall review/reflection.

I started this diary/challenge after quite quickly failing to remain disciplined in another diary I started about 2 weeks prior. This was solely to test my discipline, as that was one huge weakness in my poker game that I have suffered for a long time.

Lo and behold, I am going strong into my 4th week. Honestly, I never imagined I would last this long. Usually I would last 2 or 3 weeks at the very best before spewing away a bankroll. For that, I am very happy, and I truly believe by documenting my progress in this thread and reading all the positive comments and encouragement made all the difference.

I started by playing the 55p DYMs, electing to avoid the turbos, as I felt the much higher variance in those would just annoy me more making me prone to spewing again. Surprisingly, I went from strength to strength, and I built a bankroll, through each limit of DYM, to now playing the £3 level with a comfortable bankroll. I feel not once was I tempted to play higher limits than my bankroll allowed. I even moved down in limits a few times which I had never done before. I now feel my mindset has changed for the better. I just need to see where the next weeks/months takes me.

I have also played some MTTs after initially planning to play more. Mainly just the freerolls and the Nightly Micro 55p. Other than a few min cashes here and there, they have been unspectacular and non eventful. Even though I was still playing well in them all, just didn't get many breaks at all. With the higher variance (but bigger rewards) in MTT I will continue to only play freerolls and Nightly Micro until I can run deep in at least one of those before venturing into higher buyins. But I am looking forward to a time I can play all the MTTs upto £5 buyins, and to maybe break up the monotonous nature of grinding DYMs. Though at the moment I am content with doing that for the time-being.

For some of the stats from my play so far, they have been included in my previous days entry to this diary, and I will continue to add them to some entries most weeks. One of my main objectives at the start of this challenge, and also, since the beginning of time, was to have a constant upward profit graph, over 1000s of games, to be proud of. That aim has at least got off to a great start. And hopefully, long may it continue, and I can inspire other players to succeed.

I am not really sure what else to say. One last point though, is I am always happy to answer any questions that are fired my way.

Finally, once again, I really appreciate all the input, feedback and positive vibes you have all posted. It has helped me immensely. Thank you.

RESULTS

Good Luck at that tables
    Onwards & Upwards
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,283
    Still enjoying this Daz, and a question for you.

Do you yet think that your stats show that you have the ability and discipline to crush the low stakes dym or are you still leaning toward it being positive variance?

Just asking because sometimes it seems you put your own abilities down. The results would suggest otherwise.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Still enjoying this Daz, and a question for you.

Do you yet think that your stats show that you have the ability and discipline to crush the low stakes dym or are you still leaning toward it being positive variance?

Just asking because sometimes it seems you put your own abilities down. The results would suggest otherwise.

Cheers for the question @TheEdge949

I think the whole negative tone in my feelings about my play is simply down to the fact that I have played online poker for over 15 years, though maybe not as much in recent years, and generally speaking I have not been able to keep a deposit for any length of time without busting it. And that is simply down to discipline. As soon as any sort of downswing occurs I get frustrated and fed up.

I guess having not really succeeded much in the past has just hampered any confidence that I could have.

Regarding the results so far since my latest deposit, I am over the moon with them, but we need to remember that in the last 4 weeks, I've not really had any downswings of note. Maybe a few breakeven spells. So my discipline hasn't really been tested and until that first major downswing happens, personally I'd feel wrong to say my ability is anything much more than average. Afterall, the best poker player in the world with the best ability wouldn't be much of a poker player if they spewed their bankrolls away every time some downswings happen. It's all pretty relative.

Also, from what I understand, DYMs is one of the easiest forms of poker, as most of the decisions needed are pretty much text book. As long as you're not one of the many players making mistakes in the early stages then you should do okay. That's the reason I like to play them over any other form of poker.

Only one other variation of poker I've had any sort of success with is the 180-man SitNGos on PS. I did go through a period of about 2 months with 2k of profit at the $2 and $3+R level. I don't have the patience or time to play those now, as they're not as popular and take much longer to fill. That's why I'm looking forward to when I can and choose to play more MTTs on Sky, as the numbers here are much lower than the 10,000 fields on PS.

Another thing, I think I'm quite a modest person, and not very confident in every day life. So I think that plays a part too.

Maybe if I can continue this form over the next couple months without any hitches, I'll believe in myself a lot more.

I'll be back later to update tonight's play.

Good luck at the tables

Edited to add: Your question about variance. Well it is suggested often that variance can span 100s and perhaps over 1000s tourneys. So I'm not sure about that aspect. Wait til I have played 5000/1000 then we can get a clearer picture ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    DAY 29

First things first. Weekend working = Bleugh!

Second things second. My MTT luck (or lack thereof) continues. Looking forward to playing the escalating freeroll all day week, and about 10 hands in get dealt AA on the BB. Preflop I 3-bet, and get shoved on with JJ. The Villain hits a 4 card flush. Game over.

Last things last. Site trouble meant I only played a handful (or technically, two + 1) DYMs. Luckily the site issues didn't interfere with any of my play all too much, apart from the one game I couldn't reload, which fortunately I still cashed with 15 chips to spare.

I only played enough DYMs to secure the £5 reward payment for the week. I also overcame my next little target of a bankroll of £275. So I shall now be mixing in some £5 DYMs. Hope they start off well as the other levels.

RESULTS

Good Luck at that tables
    Onwards & Upwards
  • Options
    DAY 29

The cash reward paid today was £5.01.

I started mixing in £5 DYMs into my play in my first 2 sessions, which went pretty decent. Winning 7 from 12 of the £5s and 7 from 11 of the £3s. So I was pretty confident going into my 3rd session after playing the Freerolls and my usual Nightly Micro (all rubbish again!!)

I felt good so just played £5s in my 3rd session in the evening. Probably the worst run of cards since starting this. It was hellova frustrating and very almost tilt inducing. I won the first one, then only won 1 in the middle of the next 10 before winning the last one.

After a short break, I played one last session of 10, hoping to recoup some of the losses. And what do you know, my internet went down. Luckily I managed to connect my mobile and tether that and continue to play. And in the end, didn't cause too much damage, although I was almost crippled on a couple of the tables after reconnecting. It really would have pushed me over the edge if I had to blind away in all 10, as they were all in full swing at the time. I managed to win 8 from the final 10, so just managed to profit for the day. What a relief!

One initial thought I have about the £5 DYM over the lower levels is, and it may just be coincidence and my mind playing tricks, but it seems that there's quite a few players who are playing this level when on tilt. You find there's a player or two that get eliminated much quicker than previous levels.

RESULTS

Good Luck at that tables
    Onwards & Upwards
  • Options

Cracking recovery after your internet went down.

Looking forward to you breaking the £300 barrier.
  • Options
    DAY 31

Well, today was much like yesterday. Started awfully, losing my first 5 DYMs. I know it's not the worst, however, it really does test my discipline. In the past, I would have blown a fuse at some of the beats to come my way. From then on, it was basically chasing those losses, but I stuck with it.

I profited small in my next 2 sessions, but my last session ended really well. I also cashed in 2 of the usual MTTs I played, although, just about min-cashed in both.

My bankroll is now, you'll be pleased to hear @Tikay10 , over £300. I hope it can stay that way!!

I have just about earned 500 points this week already, so I may reach 1000 this week. But I won't be forcing myself to do that just yet. I'll just play as I have and not over-doing it. And if I naturally reach 1000, then that's an extra bonus.

RESULTS
    DAILT RESULTS

PROGRESS, STATISTICS & GRAPHS

Daily Progress
    PROGRESS GRAPH
    ^^ click to enlarge ^^

|| May | Jun | Jul | Aug | Sept | Oct | Nov | Dec ||
    click for full monthly details

SnG BreakdownDIVIDERMTT Breakdown
    SNG GRAPHDIVIDER MTT GRAPH
    ^^ click to enlarge ^^DIVIDER^^ click to enlarge ^^
    ** Link To Complete SnG Breakdown **DIVIDER** Link To Complete MTT Breakdown **

Overall Stats
    STATS
    ^^ click to enlarge ^^

Good Luck at that tables
    Onwards & Upwards
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    DAY 32

Nothing much note-worthy today. It was another backshift in work. So it was just a session before and a session after my shift.

First session went really well, winning the first 5 and final 6, with a uppy-doony in between.

Was quite disappointed in the session in the evening after work not to add to the excellent afternoon session. Only won 3 from the first 10. As it turned out I then won 7 from the next 10. So it ended up a loss on rake only session, but still with a decent enough profit for the day. In fact, my highest daily profit since starting.

RESULTS

Good Luck at that tables
    Onwards & Upwards
  • Options
    DAY 33

I had a lot of spare time today, so managed to play the highest number of games in a day so far. Each session went pretty well. In fact, breaking yesterdays record of highest daily profit. However, that was down to running to almost the FT of the Escalating Freeroll, and reaching my highest MTT finish to date also. The other two usual suspect MTTs went horribly and busted pretty much early.

I also smashed the 1000 points barrier this week. I may reach next level, however, I'll repeat what I said the other day, that I won't be forcing myself to try reach it. Especially having a backshift tomorrow and working all weekend. So what will be will be in the sense of points.

Finally, finishing up the day with just about peak profit is the best feeling. I am still very pleased at my progress.

RESULTS

Good Luck at that tables
    Onwards & Upwards