You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

European Super League

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,964
    stokefc said:

Haysie typing shite again
    Are you a supporter of your local club
    It's loyalty, passion a siege mentality It's for nights that rarely comes around but when it happens it means everything to a supporter, glory hunters don't get this

I just asked a couple of questions, and stated a fact.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,631
    It's not a fact though
  • Options
    stokefc said:

It's loyalty, passion a siege mentality It's for nights that rarely comes around but when it happens it means everything to a supporter, glory hunters don't get this

So you think Liverpool fans would rather watch them play Burnley than Barcelona?

Leicester and West Ham fans dont want to win the PL?

Football fans up and down the country dont constantly moan about their clubs inability to compete with the rich clubs?

I am not sure which bit is shite?
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,223
    Greedy money grabbing shites, who don't care about the roots of clubs, they've priced loads of fans out with their season ticket prices already, how much do you think they will charge for a ticket if this goes ahead ?, Barcelona and Real Madrid are skint that's why they're pushing it.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

It's not a fact though

It is a fact.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

It's not a fact though

How will it affect Stoke fans?
  • Options
    lucy4 said:

A really strong statement from the Premier League on the selfishness of a breakaway league that is based on making more money.

And the Premier League should know, being a breakaway league that was based on making more money.

Ha ha.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Haysie is right about 1 thing. Football fans hate change.

The new branding for the "Premier League" in 1992. Hated. But it happened.
    The total change from European Cup to Champions League from 92-97? Hated. But it happened.
    The major changes to be brought in next season in UEFA's attempt to take over Europe? The new format, the new 3rd tier-not yet thought about.

At 1 level, yes this is about money. That, and football fans refusal to accept reality. 1 of my nearest clubs is Ipswich Town. The Chairman has sold up. Fans were slagging him off all the time. Why? Because he had only put £100 million or so into the club. And because he dares to want about £40 million of it back.

This is also about control. Whether it should be in the hands of the big clubs. Or UEFA. I wouldn't want to put my full trust in either of them.

Football is many things. But 1 thing is that it is a business. Where all Prem clubs will spend a £100 million quickly. And the "Big 6" many times that.

Every club wants a return on its investment. So (for example) the biggest hurdle for clubs like Stoke to getting in the Prem is that the relegated clubs from last year are all given a £40 million head start via parachute payments.

Am I comfortable with the proposed new brand of Champions League? No. But unless something is done to protect the outlay of clubs, the game will be overtaken. The alternative is changing the way the clubs are paid TV money. And the EPL is a lot fairer than most other countries in that regard.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    stokefc said:

Quite possibly.

siege mentality

noun

a defensive or paranoid attitude based on the belief that others are hostile towards one:
    "once you develop a siege mentality, anything is believable"

Which is the best definition of siege mentality?

Siege mentality is a shared feeling of victimization and defensiveness—a term derived from the actual experience of military defences of real sieges. It is a collective state of mind in which a group of people believe themselves constantly attacked, oppressed, or isolated in the face of the negative intentions of the rest of the world.

siege mentality
    noun [ S ] disapproving
    UK /ˈsiːdʒ menˌtæl.ə.ti/ US /ˈsiːdʒ menˌtæl.ə.t̬i/

a feeling that makes you frightened of people around you, and causes you not to trust them:
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    stokefc said:

And youre not.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    From the FT

The competition would resemble the structure of “closed” North American sports leagues, where franchise owners enjoy reliable profits and the valuation of teams rise steadily over time.

The new plan would break with the pyramid structure of the European game, where even the smallest teams, through strong performances on the pitch, can win the biggest trophies.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Haysie is right about 1 thing. Football fans hate change.

The new branding for the "Premier League" in 1992. Hated. But it happened.
    The total change from European Cup to Champions League from 92-97? Hated. But it happened.
    The major changes to be brought in next season in UEFA's attempt to take over Europe? The new format, the new 3rd tier-not yet thought about.

At 1 level, yes this is about money. That, and football fans refusal to accept reality. 1 of my nearest clubs is Ipswich Town. The Chairman has sold up. Fans were slagging him off all the time. Why? Because he had only put £100 million or so into the club. And because he dares to want about £40 million of it back.

This is also about control. Whether it should be in the hands of the big clubs. Or UEFA. I wouldn't want to put my full trust in either of them.

Football is many things. But 1 thing is that it is a business. Where all Prem clubs will spend a £100 million quickly. And the "Big 6" many times that.

Every club wants a return on its investment. So (for example) the biggest hurdle for clubs like Stoke to getting in the Prem is that the relegated clubs from last year are all given a £40 million head start via parachute payments.

Am I comfortable with the proposed new brand of Champions League? No. But unless something is done to protect the outlay of clubs, the game will be overtaken. The alternative is changing the way the clubs are paid TV money. And the EPL is a lot fairer than most other countries in that regard.

As with any change there will be advantages as well as disadvantages.
    Although not many people are seeing any advantages at the moment.
  • Options
    SolarCarroSolarCarro Member Posts: 2,273
    edited April 2021
    As far as I can see from the statement the "Big 6" would still play Premier League football each week, the ESL would run midweek.

The statement confirms intentions for clubs to continue playing in their domestic leagues as usual, but for them, this will replace the Champions League etc, being playing on Wednesday evenings throughout the season.

You would have a situation where the 6 may play weaker sides in the PL as they know at the end of the season their European spot is assured.

In essence it is a breakaway from the Champions League, I may be wrong but the statement definately said the players could play for their clubs domestically
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited April 2021

As far as I can see from the statement the "Big 6" would still play Premier League football each week, the ESL would run midweek.

You would have a situation where the 6 may play weaker sides in the PL as they know at the end of the season their European spot is assured.

In essence it is a breakaway from the Champions League, I may be wrong but the statement definately said the players could play for their clubs domestically

Exactly this.

This is primarily the Big 12 v UEFA as to who should run the European competitions. With both pretending otherwise.

As an example, both sides claiming this is a big bombshell, yet both sides immediately ready to go to Court as to whether the EPL can ban clubs from seeking outside revenue. Because neither side can refer to the "without prejudice" letters that have no doubt been going back & forth for weeks...
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Exactly this.

This is primarily the Big 12 v UEFA as to who should run the European competitions. With both pretending otherwise.

As an example, both sides claiming this is a big bombshell, yet both sides immediately ready to go to Court as to whether the EPL can ban clubs from seeking outside revenue. Because neither side can refer to the "without prejudice" letters that have no doubt been going back & forth for weeks...
    Why are so many people moaning then?
    What have they got to moan about?
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

And youre not.
    Yup , you're rayte about that but i don't care and i don't care if the big clubs break away deep down i hope they do
    many supporters of clubs like ourselves know we've got no chance of a premier league title or any of the cups but that's not why we support our clubs you do get that don't you..nah i don't think you do , glory hunters don't
    So long as there is a good restructuring of the pyramid football in this country will be fine it might even thrive ,so let them go i say
  • Options
    stokefc said:

HAYSIE said:

stokefc said:

And youre not.
    Yup , you're rayte about that but i don't care and i don't care if the big clubs break away deep down i hope they do
    many supporters of clubs like ourselves know we've got no chance of a premier league title or any of the cups but that's not why we support our clubs you do get that don't you..nah i don't think you do , glory hunters don't
    So long as there is a good restructuring of the pyramid football in this country will be fine it might even thrive ,so let them go i say
    But according to the comments above they are not going anywhere, this Super League will just replace the Champions League, and they are still going to play in the PL.
  • Options
    ha ha ha funny
    they moan about playing more games then sign up to the ESL so basically playing in two leagues so playing about 60 games a season , you couldn't make it up
  • Options
    stokefc said:

ha ha ha funny
    they moan about playing more games then sign up to the ESL so basically playing in two leagues so playing about 60 games a season , you couldn't make it up

So what do you actually disagree with?