You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What would you do ? ..... or what should you do ?

Comments

• Options
    TheWaddyTheWaddy Member Posts: 1,592
    edited November 2023
    Unfortunately you have forgotten very quickly to the reason your post got so many hits in the first place! Widely down to my contributions, you even acknowledged that at one point.....

Mine and Spikes hands are actually very constructive if you want to be succesful playing online poker.

Dont be so willing to make the moves that are correct within a poker game and adjust to make the correct moves within an online poker game....

its just about the biggest tip a rec can get......
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I would encourage you @Spike4000 to continue to record the result every time you see a dominated hand situation, AK v A7, KQ v K10 all in preflop (even when you are not in the hand, just when you see it all in preflop) and see if you ever get anywhere near to the worst hand only winning 1 in 4.

You already require a massive turnaround and i suspect that this time next year you will be hovering around the 50%-65% wins for the dominated hands, not 25%....

If not, good luck to you, maybe i am indeed on a 12yr bad run......
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,497
    Sure Sky Poker want you to be happy playing here now you've cracked it. hic!
  • Options
    Spike4000Spike4000 Member Posts: 278

..... I was hoping this thread would be more of a help for us rec's, with input from the best players on the site,

are you saying I'm not very good :D:D:D
  • Options
    Bean81Bean81 Member Posts: 512
    TheWaddy said:

I would encourage you @Spike4000 to continue to record the result every time you see a dominated hand situation, AK v A7, KQ v K10 all in preflop (even when you are not in the hand, just when you see it all in preflop) and see if you ever get anywhere near to the worst hand only winning 1 in 4.

You already require a massive turnaround and i suspect that this time next year you will be hovering around the 50%-65% wins for the dominated hands, not 25%....

Great, you finally put a number on it at "50%-65%".

Let's have a friendly bet for charity based upon your hypothesis. £1k to a charity of my choice if I win, £1k to a charity of your choice if you win. We can agree terms before the sampling starts.

Are you in?
  • Options
    FeelGroggyFeelGroggy Member Posts: 824
    Tikay10 said:

@Spike4000

Yup, it's brutal when it happens, but you could just as easily be A-Q man.

When our Aces get bust, telling our mates & others is a sort of psychological comfort blanket & we all want to do it. But when we are the A-Q, our mind forgets how lucky we got.

The ways our minds work with these things is utterly fascinating & very complex.

The mental aspect of poker really is interesting. I saw a poll floating around a few years back where the question was something along the lines of 'In poker I believe I am unluckier than most' and the number of people who voted that they were more unlucky than most was around 95%. I saw a similar question 'Among poker pro's I believe my IQ is higher than average' and again something like 90% voted they were. Clearly neither can be remotely close to the truth. The level of delusion and lack of self awareness of poker players is wild, I don't think you get anything like it in any other discipline. It seems like no matter what your results are, whether professional or recreational, most players need to have an excuse as to why there results aren't better to feed their ego. Or need a reason why X player has better results than they do.

People would really rather expend energy tracking all ins to prove how bad they run over a 50 all in hand sample than try and improve at the game. And it's funny how people who track these all ins always seem to be so unlucky. It's almost as if somebody who tracks their all ins to show their lack of luck has an agenda when tracking the results. Also people who spite track their all ins and proceed to not run bad will never ever post their findings so you only see this when someone lies/ has a very standard bad run of variance over a tiny sample.

• Options
    KadoomKadoom Member Posts: 116
    if you dont like it then jog on
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Spike4000 said:

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    gandalf111Small blind150.00150.009330.00
    teeeceeeBig blind300.00450.002725.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • A
    Card4LifeFold
    Spike4000Raise600.001050.0031765.00
    gandalf111Fold
    teeeceeeAll-in2725.003775.000.00
    Spike4000Call2425.006200.0029340.00
    teeeceeeShow
    • K
    • A
    Spike4000Show
    • A
    • A
    Flop
    • Q
    Turn
    River
    teeeceeeWinFlush to the Ace6200.006200.00
    running like absolute sh!te today wtf!!
    Hero is running 'absolutely shite', yet has a stack 3x bigger than any of his opponents that we can see; which is likely a 16x start stack as most sky tournaments start with 2000 chips. Hero then proceeds to be dealt the right side of a cold deck situation but bemoans his luck when it runs out unfortunate for him. No edge has been generated by any player in this hand, swap the stacks, swap the hands, double, triple, quadruple the stacks, all of it goes in. When people get dealt the AK side of this clash and actually get lucky I think a lot of people shrug it off as justice for all the times they lost that spot when they have the aces, or are more rational about it because it was a standard spot. But when they are on the losing side with the big hand this logic goes out the window and they just bemoan their luck.
    If hero can spin up 16x start stack running shite then we're all in trouble when he finally runs good! I'm sure favourable card distribution, winning all ins, hitting hands, good timing with bluffs, opponents having poor distribution and missing boards didn't factor into this and it was all attained purely by skill.
    @Spike4000 There's hope for you. Don't cling on to this notion you're unlucky or cursed or whatever. The odds are the odds, recording 25 all ins won't change the fact that AK beats a9 73-74% of the time. Lucky and unlucky runs are part of what makes poker so great. Without the lows of the game the highs wouldn't be the same. Running bad really does suck, but that feeling when you have the mental fortitude to shrug off the adversity and win that tournament after a long bad run sure is sweet. Stop playing the victim and crack on with it and you might just enjoy the game more. And if you stop focusing on your bad luck you might have more time to focus on playing the hands and your results might just start getting a bit better. Living in a bubble of perceived injustice isn't a fun way to experience such a great game.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,402

One of the weirdest things about poker is that players who think they are better than their opponents berate them for being (in their opinion) bad players.

In what world does that possibly make sense?
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    Tikay10 said:

One of the weirdest things about poker is that players who think they are better than their opponents berate them for being (in their opinion) bad players.

In what world does that possibly make sense?

I see this regularly at micros* and i wish they would stfu , don't bite the percieved hand that feeds you
    * i wonder how they would cope playing the good players
  • Options

Spike4000 said:

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    gandalf111Small blind150.00150.009330.00
    teeeceeeBig blind300.00450.002725.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • A
    Card4LifeFold
    Spike4000Raise600.001050.0031765.00
    gandalf111Fold
    teeeceeeAll-in2725.003775.000.00
    Spike4000Call2425.006200.0029340.00
    teeeceeeShow
    • K
    • A
    Spike4000Show
    • A
    • A
    Flop
    • Q
    Turn
    River
    teeeceeeWinFlush to the Ace6200.006200.00
    running like absolute sh!te today wtf!!
    Hero is running 'absolutely shite', yet has a stack 3x bigger than any of his opponents that we can see; which is likely a 16x start stack as most sky tournaments start with 2000 chips. Hero then proceeds to be dealt the right side of a cold deck situation but bemoans his luck when it runs out unfortunate for him. No edge has been generated by any player in this hand, swap the stacks, swap the hands, double, triple, quadruple the stacks, all of it goes in. When people get dealt the AK side of this clash and actually get lucky I think a lot of people shrug it off as justice for all the times they lost that spot when they have the aces, or are more rational about it because it was a standard spot. But when they are on the losing side with the big hand this logic goes out the window and they just bemoan their luck.
    If hero can spin up 16x start stack running shite then we're all in trouble when he finally runs good! I'm sure favourable card distribution, winning all ins, hitting hands, good timing with bluffs, opponents having poor distribution and missing boards didn't factor into this and it was all attained purely by skill.
    @Spike4000 There's hope for you. Don't cling on to this notion you're unlucky or cursed or whatever. The odds are the odds, recording 25 all ins won't change the fact that AK beats a9 73-74% of the time. Lucky and unlucky runs are part of what makes poker so great. Without the lows of the game the highs wouldn't be the same. Running bad really does suck, but that feeling when you have the mental fortitude to shrug off the adversity and win that tournament after a long bad run sure is sweet. Stop playing the victim and crack on with it and you might just enjoy the game more. And if you stop focusing on your bad luck you might have more time to focus on playing the hands and your results might just start getting a bit better. Living in a bubble of perceived injustice isn't a fun way to experience such a great game.
    i get your point but it is a deep stack so a 5000 starting. i was running like sh!te kept getting big stack and then going out or just never doing anything and going out. you can win early oon for hours in deep stack but fall at the last few hurdles
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Also i don't only focus on "bad luck" I've also posted numerous times about taking down tournies etc. was just in a bad run so thought I'd share it. I do enjoy poker and I definitely do not "play the victim"??. @FeelGroggy
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,402

There's SO much I don't understand about poker players.

We often see a player complain that they lost because their opponent played a hand badly.

"He should never have raised/called there sorta thing".

Unpick that...
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,359
    Spike4000 said:

Also i don't only focus on "bad luck" I've also posted numerous times about taking down tournies etc. was just in a bad run so thought I'd share it. I do enjoy poker and I definitely do not "play the victim"??. @FeelGroggy

Yes @Spike4000 you never come across as the 'moaning poor me' type of player, I expect groggy was referring to the other person who never stops moaning- I shan't mention him because I don't want to send him into a sulk.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

Spike4000 said:

Yes @Spike4000 you never come across as the 'moaning poor me' type of player, I expect groggy was referring to the other person who never stops moaning- I shan't mention him because I don't want to send him into a sulk.
    I will moan about bad variance but everyone does!! but i never play the victim or i quote "Live in a bubble of perceived injustice" @mumsie
  • Options
    @Spike4000 Don't take it personally. I know you are a net positive poster on this site, I have seen you start some good threads on here. I wouldn't have replied if you were the type of person only spreading negativity. The hand you posted just happened to have a lot of aspects I wanted to talk about. Keep talking about the highs and lows of your poker journey on here. My post was meant far more generally than it looked, I just had to structure my post that way to make points I wanted to make.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Bean81 said:

TheWaddy said:

Let's have a friendly bet for charity based upon your hypothesis. £1k to a charity of my choice if I win, £1k to a charity of your choice if you win. We can agree terms before the sampling starts.

Are you in?
    1 It would not be possible for you or me to believe the provided samples from either party, if you are tally charting whenever you witness a dominated hand preflop all in situation (you may not even be involved in the hand).

2 I no longer play hold em, unless its the nightly freeroll so the decent sample size would take years to collect. I have done it previously over years and can see from the freeroll that nothing has changed. I would however, encourage those playing hold em to do a tally chart everytime they see this situation.

3 Good for you if you can afford to donate £1k to charity, but i would probably keep such bets to TV poker players!
  • Options
    green_beergreen_beer Member Posts: 1,741

TheWaddy said:

Bean81 said:

TheWaddy said:

Are you in?
    1 It would not be possible for you or me to believe the provided samples from either party, if you are tally charting whenever you witness a dominated hand preflop all in situation (you may not even be involved in the hand).

2 I no longer play hold em, unless its the nightly freeroll so the decent sample size would take years to collect. I have done it previously over years and can see from the freeroll that nothing has changed. I would however, encourage those playing hold em to do a tally chart everytime they see this situation.

3 Good for you if you can afford to donate £1k to charity, but i would probably keep such bets to TV poker players!
    just a thought, some one could record all their games, post to youtube for analysis ;) or you could go youtube and find a few videos of folk playing and do it that way ;)