You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fat Club - let's lose weight, quit smoking & be more healthy in 2018.

Comments

• Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,129
    Hi guys. Can I join in with this? I really need to lose some weight and this could be the incentive I need.

What do I need to do, post my weight each week? Anything else?

Best of luck to you all and great idea!

Cheers,

Graham.

My starting weight is 14st 12lbs and my target weight is 12 stone.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,268

Hi Graham @StayOrGo,

Course you can join Graham, you'd be a very welcome addition.

There are no rules as such, though generally we all report weekly, on a Friday, with starting weight, weight gained or lost in the week, and weight gained or lost overall. Entirely up to you, whatever works best is fine.

The whole idea is that, as a group or collective, we can help each other along by a bit of encouragement.

Good luck mate.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Great thanks TK.

I gave up smoking over 3 years ago, so touch wood, I am on the right track there, but weight has always been a problem for the last 15 years or so, getting progressively heavier.

I am only 5ft 8in tall, so will set my target weight at 12 stone exactly.

I will sign in with my "starting" weight on Friday.

GL to you all!
  • Options
    StayOrGo said:

Great thanks TK.

I gave up smoking over 3 years ago, so touch wood, I am on the right track there, but weight has always been a problem for the last 15 years or so, getting progressively heavier.

GL to you all!

Ha, tell me about it Graham.

I've had to quit the smokes, too. Dieting AND giving up the smokes is a tough gig. But if you read the World News every day, migrants/refugees & their families drowning wholesale as they try to find a better life, chemical attacks in Syria, and millions living in Refugee Camps, it puts it in perspective, & really, it's easy, it's just as bit of self-denial.

Good luck.
  • Options
  • Options

Update after week 14;

Starting weight = 14st 12lbs

Weight after Week 1 = 14st 6lbs

Weight after Week 2 = 14st 1lb

Weight after Week 3 = 14st 0lbs

Weight after week 4 = 13st 12lbs

Weight after week 5 = 13st 10lbs

Weight after week 6 = 13st 9lbs

Weight after week 7 = 13st 8lbs

Weight after week 8 = 13st 5lbs

Weight after week 9 = 13st 3lbs

Weight after week 10 = 13st 0lbs

Weight after week 11 = 12st 13lbs

Weight after week 12 = 12st 12lbs

Weight after week 13 = 12st 11lbs

Weight after week 14 = 12st 9lbs

Total loss to date is exactly 2 stone & 3lb ( = 31lbs) in 13 weeks.

Really pleased with that, been a good week with much increased exercise. The exercise makes all the difference - to lose weight we have to burn more energy than we consume.

Soon I'll be able to quit the diet & pile it all back on, like an idiot.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    Start:-20-02
    Last week: 18-12
    This week:-18-08

Woo-hoo! Not sure I deserved this, but I'll take it...

Off for lunch with the in-laws. The difference between Outlaws and In-laws are that Outlaws are Wanted :)
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Start:-20-02
    Last week: 18-12
    This week:-18-08

Woo-hoo! Not sure I deserved this, but I'll take it...

Off for lunch with the in-laws. The difference between Outlaws and In-laws are that Outlaws are Wanted :)

Stunning work old fella, well done.

That's over a stone & a half now.

You feeling any benefit from it yet?

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Stuck on 14st 9lb 0 change for the week and -7lbs overall.

Really need to up the exercise but have had a busy and stressful few weeks since my mini break.

The good news for this week's top loser is that I will give £10 to a charity of their choice.

@Essexphil is in pole position at the moment with 4 lbs.

I will carry on with donations until I reach my goal. A pledge and I am not complaining about making it, the only issue is I didn't think it through from a motivational psychology point of view.

Effectively I am making myself feel better for not achieving my goal by giving money to a good cause.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Well done all! -7lbs over all is great P66.

P66, if you need some positive motivation. I will donate a £1 for a pound.

So what do I mean?

For every pound that is lost between now (13/04/18) and when I make the donation to this years charity. (Probably 3rd May 2018), I will donate an additional £1.

This includes, Phantom66, me, markycash, IH8UBUTLER, TK, Waller02, EssexPhil, Omm and anyone else involved that I have missed. (Ideally would be good to know people's weight as of 13/04/18 so I can calculate the amount I will need to donate)

Anyone else up for this type of pledge? Doesn't need to be that much? 10p per pound is fine.

(Phantom, reading your earlier post, perhaps swapping your current donation pledge with one like this would suit you better from a motivational perspective?)

If it's OK, I would like to make my official start to this process.

I am weighing in at 14st 12lbs (coincidentally exactly the same as TK started at)

If I could do anywhere near as well as you TK, I'd be a very happy/skinny bunny. :=)

Cheers,

G

• Options
    edited April 2018
    My son Gary is also sponsoring us all 50p per pound for the total of all weight lost between now (13/04/18 and 03/05/18)

Hopefully this will give us all a short term motivation "boost" over the next two weeks or so.
  • Options

^^^^^

OK Graham @StayOrGo

Stick me down for the same - £1 per lb.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Awesome TK.

Outstanding effort by you my friend. It was good to see you looking so well in Manchester! Best of luck losing the remainder and maintaining the loss.

We need you around for many years yet. :=)

P.S. I just had to remove a couple of exclamation marks bearing in mind the recipient. :=) (Smiley face instead)
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Tikay10 said:

StayOrGo said:

Great thanks TK.

GL to you all!

Ha, tell me about it Graham.

I've had to quit the smokes, too. Dieting AND giving up the smokes is a tough gig. But if you read the World News every day, migrants/refugees & their families drowning wholesale as they try to find a better life, chemical attacks in Syria, and millions living in Refugee Camps, it puts it in perspective, & really, it's easy, it's just as bit of self-denial.

Good luck.
    Thanks TK, and yes of course you are right. All the atrocities going on at the moment certainly puts things in perspective.

I weighed myself a couple of weeks back and for the first time I saw the scale go to 15 stone. I thought I have got two choices, keep on gaining weight and become more un-healthy or do something about it.

Hopefully with the help and support of you guys, it'll be the latter.

I have been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and some background retinopathy as a result (which was completely preventable), I also have high cholesterol (on statins)

Amongst other things, I need my sight to play poker, so now's the time.
  • Options
    DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,927
    edited April 2018
    Ahhhh Great thread, since I decided to start looking after myself (most people do this around age12/13, it took me until my late 20's), health, exercise, nutrition, have all become borderline obsessions of mine.

Getting the right balance, what should we eat, how much of it, at what time, in what order, that part often seems more difficult than having the discipline to actually do it.

A minefield of information.

More similarities to poker there. "work on your game"

OK, great advice...

How?

Where do I start? What do I do?

Do I start with ICM at final tables or balancing a turn check/raising range in a 3b pot?

:/

When I started out, I must've been 25 stone.

I don't know exactly, because I didn't weigh myself until I was a good year or so in to what I called "life rehab".

At which point I was 22 and a half stone, it was the turn of the year, I'd been sober for around 9 months, and I had a brain wave to start using weight loss as a motive to help to try and continue my lifestyle change.

I remember day 1, I walked a 1.5 mile lap of the lake @ Doncaster lakeside in an hour, with multiple breaks to sit down and catch my breath. It was really quite scary.

ffw a few years, and i'd built up my fitness to a level where I could run 4 laps of the same course, (10k/6 miles) in 51 minutes.

---

At the start of this year, I started the "Joe Wickes 90 day lean Shape, Shift, Sustain, plan".

What a gobfull.

It looked a new challenge, taking my exercise away from repetitive, low intensity cardio (long runs, walks, swimming) and more into HIIT.

Really short sharp bursts of exercise where we are going flat out, 4-5 times per week for 25 minutes.

It also gave me a diet plan to follow strictly, with my food choices and importantly quantities given to me to suit my height/weight/age/exercise regime, all that jazz.

Importantly, it wasn't a weight loss plan, but a fat loss plan, designed to shed the blubber and bring through lean muscle underneath.

Little bit of an anti climax, and to cut a long story, well, pretty long still, I broke down a couple of weeks into the plan with an ankle injury.

Alas, my misplaced determination wouldn't allow me to give in, so I continued to do as much of the plan as I could, working around the injury, until I buggered it even more, and had to throw the towel in after 7 weeks of the 12 week plan.

I was devastated, I was starting to see real signs of improvement in my body composition, and with the real nitty gritty final 4 week cycle ahead I felt sure I was going to see a real transformation, but it wasn't to be.

Fast forward 10 weeks, and I'm still injured, the doctors don't seem to know what's wrong with me (where have we heard this before), 3 xrays, 2 A&E vistis, and 4 consultations later, and we're non the wiser.

I finally got sent for an MRI scan, which I'm praying has some answers.

Otherwise, we're looking at maybe an arthiritic ankle, and I just cannot contemplate that outcome, so I'm not even going there.

Yet.

Over 3 months since I last managed to get out for a run, God I miss it.

I'd encourage anyone interested in weightloss or health/wellbeing to get out and try take up running. Once you catch the running bug, it's addictive. Imagine being addicted to something so good for you

It's out of the way of the scary part of the forum, hopefully you guys wont be too mean :)

----

I wish I'd seen this thread from the start, I'll be reading it every day going forward having just found it an hour ago.

An excellent read, with lots of great progress being made.

Absolutely love this part of the internet, people coming together to help improve their own, and other peoples lives.

I owe so much to the people in my diary who helped me on a daily basis to overcome many obsticles in my life, weight loss and fitness being a couple of them.

Keep working hard guys, consistency is the key !

Bad days will happen, make sure that's all they are. Get straight back on it the next day.

Hope to join in when I'm fit again <3

---

** PS, perfectly reasonable explanation for the hair in Dec. Was on my way to a Jedward concert.

Massive fan.

• Options
    Well done with the amazing weight loss over the last couple of years DOH!

Quite an inspiration.

Hope you get the ankle sorted.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Here's a pic TK previously posted from Road To Manchester. (March 2018)

All I see is a giant gut. It's got to go!

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,023
    Update.....
    Start Weight: 19st 9lbs
    Last Week: 18st 4lbs
    Current Weight (week 14):

So, I've gained 3lb this week, however I'm pretty sure I know why. Last week I had a messy couple of days on the beers in Liverpool, drank a lot, didn't eat as much as I should have and weigh day was the day that I returned home.....extremely hungover and obviously very dehydrated, which I think accounts for the 4lb loss.

Does that sound reasonable? Am I making excuses?

Anyway, having resumed the "normal" exercise and diet routine, I think this weeks result is a more accurate one and in general I'm still going in the right direction......slowly.

Total loss: 1st 2lbs
    Total smoked: 20

Great effort by everybody else. It's good to see dohhhhhh post photos of his progress (and posting in general) as it shows us what we can achieve if we stick at it.

Graham, welcome aboard mate and stick me down for 50p/lb as discussed on your HU thread.
  • Options
    Hi Ryan.

1st 2lbs total loss is great mate! It wouldn't be human not to have the odd blip, thanks for the pledge and best of luck over the next couple of weeks and beyond.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,023
    edited April 2018
    I forgot to mention in my update that it is highly likely I will put on weight this week. I am on a course at work all week, staying in a hotel with no gym, plus eating out every night. I will try to eat well but it's never easy when staying away from home