You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited September 2014

as i said this is still in its experimental stage so please don't take anything as gospel or even as sensible.

standard dym play would have you chillaxing and letting the others fight it out.
    but this can go on a long time (re Tikay's comment of blinds sometimes at 400/800 even with 5 peeps left)
    so for now i am maintaining the aggressive concept, but with adjustments.
    ie seeing more flops cheaply if i can, attacking shorties when i have good hands etc.

Aggression uber alles, and all the time.

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
    edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread:
    as i said this is still in its experimental stage so please don't take anything as gospel or even as sensible. standard dym play would have you chillaxing and letting the others fight it out. but this can go on a long time (re Tikay's comment of blinds sometimes at 400/800 even with 5 peeps left) so for now i am maintaining the aggressive concept, but with adjustments. ie seeing more flops cheaply if i can, attacking shorties when i have good hands etc. Aggression uber alles, and all the time.
    Posted by GELDY
    Cheers Gelders
    Food for thought
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I would not recommend this style, however, if you have any risk of connection problems, or of being distracted. as so many of your chips are going in you need to be in control!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 163,250
    edited September 2014
    In dyms where survival is key aggression can pay dividends.  plo8 is a very drawing game so you don't need the nuts just a hand with equity. The folds will pay for the outdraws. Only an experiment at the moment but it's working ok. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Your increased aggression is the key Geldy, rather than anything else.

I'm not so hot with aggression, at least not until we go 4 handed then it's chocks away, but your all round aggression is a potent weapon, & is why you are - I hope & assume - doing so much better.

• Options
    67Bhoys67Bhoys Member Posts: 2,553
    edited January 2015
    DYM, Is this a fold here, me and Random had a bit of difference of opinion.  I have to say that I had a long dwell before raising.  Can Random fold to my raise?

ActionCardsAmountPotBalance67Bhoys Small blind  100.00 100.00 2880.00 MITCH38 Big blind  200.00 300.00 960.00   Your hole cards K 2 2 A       RandomRaise  700.00 1000.00 1520.00 pj_from_uk Fold     eon1961 Fold     67Bhoys Raise  2200.00 3200.00 680.00 MITCH38 Fold     RandomAll-in  1520.00 4720.00 0.00 67Bhoys Unmatched bet  80.00 4640.00 760.00 67Bhoys Show K 2 2 A    RandomShow 2 A Q 4    Flop    J J 8       Turn    10       River    8       67Bhoys Win high Two Pairs, Jacks and 2s 4640.00  5400.00  No qualifying low hand     PrevClose windowNext
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,396
    edited January 2015
    Think it's a fold b/c we have no fold equity once villain has pot-raised pre and at a guess we'll be less than 50% vs his opening range.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    If we were down to 4 players at these blind levels, then I would maybe fold, but at 100/200 and 5 players left, I reckon that given the relative chipstacks, that worst case I'm still in, semi worst case split pot.  But at 100/200 I'm looking to be aggressive, especially 5 handed.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,168
    edited January 2015
    I am going to assign Random a good raising range for this exercise, given the names I recognise I would assume this is a £10 game and the standard will be good.

We obviously have a good hand, we treat the other 2 as a 'blocker' not a potential improving card.

we have no low back up, however the likelihood of the other 2's spiking are lowered (we can also be fairly certain that the other player holds an Ace and a low card, likely a 2 or 3) so that gives us probably good enough odds for our low hand.

High hand is a great drawing hand, again there are slight issues we are not double suited, but really we can't expect everything :-)

So onto the situation, the BB is short and UTG has potted, he needs to get through 3 players AND will have no fold equity if the BB repots, so he is committed to putting at least 1160 in, sure their is an argument that he may be trying to steal the blinds.......but given what I descibed above that seems unlikely. Is your hand strong enough to play for stacks, is the situation worth it, can we wait for another spot? lots of questions to ask.

I think it is very marginal at best, in an MTT I m probably getting my freak on, in a DYM i am not so sure.

HH

• Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,396
    edited January 2015
    If we were down to 4 players at these blind levels, then I would maybe fold, but at 100/200 and 5 players left, I reckon that given the relative chipstacks, that worst case I'm still in, semi worst case split pot.  But at 100/200 I'm looking to be aggressive, especially 5 handed.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Being aggressive is fine, but you will have no fold equity vs Random. As I said, even vs a loosish opening range we'll only have 50% equity here and slightly less than 1/3 of the time our opponent will scoop the pot leaving us very short.

Not to mention, us re-shipping might lead BB to fold a hand he would otherwise go with (where we could potentially be down to 4 players left)
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
    edited January 2015
    Couple of questions....

1. What would you do in villains place?

2. What would you do in the same position but with each others cards?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    I am going to assign Random a good raising range for this exercise, given the names I recognise I would assume this is a £10 game and the standard will be good. We obviously have a good hand, we treat the other 2 as a 'blocker' not a potential improving card. we have no low back up, however the likelihood of the other 2's spiking are lowered (we can also be fairly certain that the other player holds an Ace and a low card, likely a 2 or 3) so that gives us probably good enough odds for our low hand. High hand is a great drawing hand, again there are slight issues we are not double suited, but really we can't expect everything :-) So onto the situation, the BB is short and UTG has potted, he needs to get through 3 players AND will have no fold equity if the BB repots, so he is committed to putting at least 1160 in, sure their is an argument that he may be trying to steal the blinds.......but given what I descibed above that seems unlikely. Is your hand strong enough to play for stacks, is the situation worth it, can we wait for another spot? lots of questions to ask. I think it is very marginal at best, in an MTT I m probably getting my freak on, in a DYM i am not so sure. HH
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    I thought it unlikely that Random would have a 2 in their hand , definitely an Ace, possibly 2 Aces. I was thinking possibilities were AA3* or AK3* etc, with some kind of suited element.

On the counterfeit of my low cards, an Ace would give me top pair and a 2 would give me bottom set, not ideal, but if I'm putting Random on an Ace, then there are only 2 Aces and 2 deuces left in the deck.

I know this was a marginal spot, but with a limited amount of time available to make a decision, it is difficult to run through every +EV or  -EV.  I decided to re-raise because I was out of position, and also decided, if necessary, to play for stacks, mainly because I had Random covered and I thought my hand had good high and low possibilities

Also in my mind, when the blinds reach 100/200, you are going to have to flip sooner rather than later, and this was as good a hand as any to go to war with.  

HH  
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Couple of questions.... 1. What would you do in villains place? 2. What would you do in the same position but with each others cards?
    Posted by VespaPX
    1) Given the initial raise, its a call

2) If I had Randoms cards in my positon, I don't like my high draw, so prob fold.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    DYM, Is this a fold here, me and Random had a bit of difference of opinion.  I have to say that I had a long dwell before raising.  Can Random fold to my raise? Action Cards Amount Pot Balance 67Bhoys Small blind   100.00 100.00 2880.00 MITCH38 Big blind   200.00 300.00 960.00   Your hole cards K 2 2 A       Random Raise   700.00 1000.00 1520.00 pj_from_uk Fold         eon1961 Fold         67Bhoys Raise   2200.00 3200.00 680.00 MITCH38 Fold         Random All-in   1520.00 4720.00 0.00 67Bhoys Unmatched bet   80.00 4640.00 760.00 67Bhoys Show K 2 2 A       Random Show 2 A Q 4       Flop     J J 8       Turn     10       River     8       67Bhoys Win high Two Pairs, Jacks and 2s 4640.00   5400.00   No qualifying low hand         Prev Close window Next
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    What a VERY interesting hand.......;)

In answer to the question, no, "random" cannot, ever, fold here, having already potted it. We also know his likely range is "solid" at worst, he's not a roffler.  

To me, this is not so much about hand values (you had 55% equity as it happens) as SNG tactical awareness, spatial awareness if you like, especially as to......

a) the other players relative abilities.

b) Their stack sizes

2 of the other players were clearly "inexperienced", & one of them was Mr Shortie. So personally, I'm attacking them, not the other big stacks or experienced players. I prefer to fight easy battles.

Also, based on "GAP", once the raise has come in, our hand is not, imo, strong enough to go to war. (As it happens, it was, but you did not know that).

More importantly, it does not NEED to go to war. This is key.

Personally, & in your spot, once the raiser had opened, I'm stepping aside.

Why go to war when there are easier ways to win this?

On balance, I don't think either player did much wrong. Pretty sure the best man won it, too. ;)
  • Options
    JockBMWJockBMW Member Posts: 2,653
    edited January 2015
    Can random fold to my raise?,  Definitely not,  he has potted it, he's going to war with his hand.

The question I would ask myself in this situation is this 

"With these stack sizes, Do i want to go to war with a guy who can possible take over half my stack with this starting hand"

Answer:  "No I dont,  much better positions still to come  I have a decent stack and this guy is already pot commintted"

Let him have my small blind and I have a whole rotation to come after this hand to get a better spot 

JMPO  ;o)
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    And let's not forget it isn't only about the dym we are playing. In the aggro view of the world we are happy to make -ve ev plays if by doing so we think we will get more respect for our raises in other dyms to come. I'm sure some of the folds i get is because peeps are worried I'll take them on even if behind.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    And let's not forget it isn't only about the dym we are playing. In the aggro view of the world we are happy to make -ve ev plays if by doing so we think we will get more respect for our raises in other dyms to come. I'm sure some of the folds i get is because peeps are worried I'll take them on even if behind.
    Posted by GELDY

This is a fair point, I think of bhoys as being an aggro opponent having played him on a number of occasions, pretty sure that has an impact on the way I approach raising and facing raises from him. 

Rather like macacgirl when she is holding 8833.....:-)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Posted by GELDY

This is a fair point, I think of bhoys as being an aggro opponent having played him on a number of occasions, pretty sure that has an impact on the way I approach raising and facing raises from him. 

Rather like macacgirl when she is holding 8833.....:-)

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Posted by GELDY
    That's a great point Gelders.

Those of us who cross swords with you regularly know that when you raise, you won't be backing down, & this does, or should, affect how we play against you.

That assumes, of course, you are playing in GeldMode # 13 at the time.

I have observed that in GeldMode #'s 4 & 7, you do fold to aggression. 

I think you should add a note to your Field Address so we know which GeldMode you are currently playing. It's must unfair that you mix it up.

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Just you wait until i start my new challenge. playing different Geldmodes at the same time while multitabling dyms.

#Geldmodes #likeit

• Options
    Macacgirl1Macacgirl1 Member Posts: 865
    edited January 2015
    Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes!
    Due to my lunatic tendencies, I've just completed another challenge. To prove my colour coding (red player = nutjob calling station) I've been raising into them all day, with or without a hand, to see how many straight calls/re-raises I could get.  After an initial failed start of only 5 calls before I got a fold, I then continued and battered my previous record. I hit 40 today!
    Job done.
    Now all I need to do is try to play properly and win back the £97,000 I've lost.