You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    eon1961eon1961 Member Posts: 1,795
    edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: PLO8 DYM's - Tips, Advice, & Help Thread:
    Yes, Yes, Yes and Yes! Due to my lunatic tendencies, I've just completed another challenge. To prove my colour coding (red player = nutjob calling station) I've been raising into them all day, with or without a hand, to see how many straight calls/re-raises I could get.  After an initial failed start of only 5 calls before I got a fold, I then continued and battered my previous record. I hit 40 today! Job done. Now all I need to do is try to play properly and win back the £97,000 I've lost.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

am i red mac
  • Options
    Darkangel7Darkangel7 Member Posts: 2,585
    edited May 2015
    I've just started dipping my toe in plo8 still don't really understand it but dym I've played have placed quite a few times. Like anything in life it takes a while to learn. Am enjoying it though and fairly new to sky poker as well. Good luck all
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited May 2015
    I've just started dipping my toe in plo8 still don't really understand it but dym I've played have placed quite a few times. Like anything in life it takes a while to learn. Am enjoying it though and fairly new to sky poker as well. Good luck all
    Posted by Darkangel7
    Glad to hear you're enjoying it Olive.
    May bump into you along the way.
    Any questions , just post on here.
    GL
    Mick
  • Options
    67Bhoys67Bhoys Member Posts: 2,553
    edited May 2015
    Posted by Darkangel7
    How dare you swoop in here, start playing PLO8 DYMs, and taking money from veterans that have been playing for years, before disappearing with swag in hand, in a puff off triumph(ant) smoke in your trusty sidecar.

Glad your enjoying it Olive.  As Mick says, if you need any advice, don't be afraid to ask.

Arfur
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Thanks vespa and arfur can't help it can I? ? Lol :p 
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited May 2015

Good to see this thread get a little bump, glad you are enjoying the game angel/olive :-)

Paul Tune (Enut)- thats his surname backwards BTW, has listed most of the solid starting hands earlier in the thread, to be slightly more expansive and widen your range you can include the following.

So long as you have position 23 34 45 combined with Broadway connectors have a lots of equity against aggro opponents who have good understanding of the game and starting hands, in an ideal World double suits are nice.

look for aces and combos in the community cards, but continue with caution if no aces are dealt, you are primarily looking to counterfeit lo hands and draw to straights (be careful which end of the straight you have) and flushes with these holdings.

Just always remember (I often forget :-p) the nut hand is usually out there, unless its Bhoys, he just bluffs constantly ;-)

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Good to see this thread get a little bump, glad you are enjoying the game angel/olive :-) Paul Tune (Enut)- thats his surname backwards BTW, has listed most of the solid starting hands earlier in the thread, to be slightly more expansive and widen your range you can include the following. So long as you have position 23 34 45 combined with Broadway connectors have a lots of equity against aggro opponents who have good understanding of the game and starting hands, in an ideal World double suits are nice. look for aces and combos in the community cards, but continue with caution if no aces are dealt, you are primarily looking to counterfeit lo hands and draw to straights (be careful which end of the straight you have) and flushes with these holdings. Just always remember (I often forget :-p) the nut hand is usually out there, unless its Bhoys, he just bluffs constantly ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Im just in it to make up the numbers and for people to donk chips off me. Still enjoying it though.
  • Options
    lynzzlynzz Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
    there is no point in any tactics if it wants you out you are going out .5 times in a row i called when the other player was unable to meet the blind, once it was 2 pair to them and the other 4 times they got full house. i went from most chips to not enough to meet the my big blind myself for the first time and lost to another full house . its a joke if you play this site with your own money your a fool

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,036
    edited June 2015
    there is no point in any tactics if it wants you out you are going out .5 times in a row i called when the other player was unable to meet the blind, once it was 2 pair to them and the other 4 times they got full house. i went from most chips to not enough to meet the my big blind myself for the first time and lost to another full house . its a joke if you play this site with your own money your a fool
    Posted by lynzz
    I think someone's telling porkies.
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited October 2015
    This is a great thread to anyone new to PLO8.

Thought I would post a few hands up to give it a bump and hopefully get the plopper community discussing strategy a bit more.

I have picked out a few from my 1/8 mauling last night. I'll leave a gap between each post.

This is a bubble hand blind v blind. I have Aces not great aces - no lo option. So when the SB makes up I am pretty sure that the best option is to pot. I get called though. (K6)6 flop is good for me, overpair and a pair with the board and needs runner-runner to make a lo for my opponent. They lead out though. Right to shove or is anyone folding here?

W4rlocks starting hand not great - but he might think I am "at it" with the pot, because several times on this table he has made up and I have potted. I always had it though obviously.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    w4rlock Small blind   150.00 150.00 3866.25
    Phantom66 Big blind   300.00 450.00 1765.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A
    • K

bbMike Fold        
    gerardirl Fold        
    w4rlock Call   150.00 600.00 3716.25
    Phantom66 Raise   600.00 1200.00 1165.00
    w4rlock Call   600.00 1800.00 3116.25
    Flop

• K

w4rlock Bet   1800.00 3600.00 1316.25
    Phantom66 All-in   1165.00 4765.00 0.00
    w4rlock Unmatched bet   635.00 4130.00 1951.25
    w4rlock Show
    • Q

Phantom66 Show
    • A
    • A
    • K

Turn

River

w4rlock Win high Three 6s 2065.00   4016.25
    w4rlock Win low 8-low 2065.00   6081.25
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Very similar to above hand with the sb/bb make-up pot - opponent hits trips and I bust.

Main difference is I have less equity in the hand as flopped but fewer chips to leave behind

Poker gods were in the mood for a laugh on the turn/river combo.
    Hole_in_1 Small blind   200.00 200.00 2557.50
    Phantom66 Big blind   400.00 600.00 1545.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

LENGALENG Fold        
    bugalus1 Fold        
    tikay1 Fold        
    Hole_in_1 Call   200.00 800.00 2357.50
    Phantom66 Raise   800.00 1600.00 745.00
    Hole_in_1 Call   800.00 2400.00 1557.50
    Flop

• J
    • J
    • K

Hole_in_1 Bet   400.00 2800.00 1157.50
    Phantom66 All-in   745.00 3545.00 0.00
    Hole_in_1 Call   345.00 3890.00 812.50
    Hole_in_1 Show
    • J
    • A

Phantom66 Show
    • A

Turn

• Q

River

• J

Hole_in_1 Win high Four Jacks 3890.00   4702.50
      No qualifying low hand        
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Given the blinds here I dont think my cards matter too much its an unopened pot and I am shoving to hopefully get folds. I have been quiet for a few orbits (totally card dead or pot raise in before me) so figure I would get "respect". Just happened to run into a hand.

My hand does have a few combo opportunities so not terrible but never going to be ahead of a caller.
    Whizzewky Small blind   200.00 200.00 1532.50
    eon1961 Big blind   400.00 600.00 4210.00
      Your hole cards

tikay1 Fold        
    Phantom66 All-in   1165.00 1765.00 0.00
    mmmchips Fold        
    Whizzewky Fold        
    eon1961 Call   765.00 2530.00 3445.00
    eon1961 Show
    • A

Phantom66 Show

Flop

• Q

Turn

River

• J

eon1961 Win high Two Pairs, 6s and 3s 2530.00   5975.00
      No qualifying low hand        
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,219
    edited October 2015

Hi Phantom.

The first one - Aces in the BB on the K-6-6 flop.

The raise is OK, but this is an opponent specific situation, W4rlock (who is a good pal of mine, he came to Vegas with VLV one year) has a very eclectic starting hand range, & does not like to fold. He has called because he is double suited, no other reason. (His hand is dreadful, but that's not the point).

When we have the Aces & we see a paired board, we are either in tremendous shape (we kill all their 2 pair options) or terrible shape, as they have binked the three of a kind.  

When he leads here (remember he has a ton of chips so does not NEED to do anything silly), he has to have the 6.

We can - just about - fold, as we have almost 4bigs, & after paying the SB, we'll still have 3 Bigs.

Think it was just a bit unlucky, as he does not hit that 6 very often. When he leads though, he always has it.

I'm ALWAYS wary when Roy calls me, he can literally have anything. Tough opponent.

• Options
    edited October 2015

In the second hand, just forget about it, & put it down to bad luck.

Once blinds go 200-400, & we have 4 Bigs, "any ace will do". I'm potting that pre-flop all day. 4 Bigs is the key, & we have a genuine "combo-hand" (high & low constituents). 

And even though it was an all-high flop, you HAVE to continue. In most cases, players call raises with a low hand, as they play for lows, so the c-bet sails through easily. 

Your man just got lucky.

Good tip though - when "sticky" players (stations) keep calling raises pre, they ALMOST always have a low hand. So if it comes all high, pot again, & generally they'll fold.  

• Options
    edited October 2015

The third example - 2-4-7-8 - with 4 Bigs is fine, again, you just got unlucky. 

I always prefer to have an ace in my hand (I very rarely enter ANY PLO8 hand without an ace) but in this case, we are betting to force folds, & if we get called, well we can't be in awful shape, rarely worse than 40-60. 

With 4 bigs, we have got to be less selective & just hope we get the blind shoves through. MUCH rather do that with a hand that can make a low though, rather than a high only hand.

You just got unlucky. Eon's play was fine, too, he's never folding that to a shortie shove, nor should he.

If those 3 examples were typical, you just ran bad last night. (Arguably, you could have found the fold on the K-6-6 flop against Roy), the only caveat was that you were quite short (or not big) in all three. (A problem I'm all too familiar with). If we can motor along with a bigger stack, we can be more selective & patient at the sharp end.   

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited October 2015
    Mr Ph,

Here are some thoughts, following on from what TK has said;

Hand 1.

As played TK pretty much nailed it (I think he can also have KKxx here, where he wants to make up rather than raise). I personally don't like the raise against this particular opponent (reason as stated by the 'auld yin'), you will have position and can reassess post flop, if its all high happy days GII.

Hand 2.

I disagree slightly, albeit I dont know the stack sizes of the other players (Eon appears to have a lot so i am guessing they cant be that far ahead of you).
    I think you can check here and see what the flop brings (once you raise you are committed).

Hand 3.

I see the logic completely, you can handcuff the sb as he has the big stack behind him, BB can easily fold here, but Eon will call if he has any chance to take you out, that siad you have decent equity against his likely calling range. So I like the play.

I have modified my repotting and calling ranges to try and combat some of these situations, with an influx of newer players and the differing styles of others its always worth noting who you are up against and which tactics best suit the situation.

• Options
    GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,202
    edited October 2015
    Hand 1
    No need to raise pre 
    You get to see the flop and then can decide whether your hi only hand is worth playing. 

• Options
    HotwhealsHotwheals Member Posts: 337
    edited October 2015
    Hi Phantom

Hands 2 and 3 are fine. Hand 1 though when he calls you have to check not raise with A,A,K,10, the reason for this is because if you raise there and say for example the flop was to to come 2,4,8. You won't really know where you are and you have already committed a decent chunk of chips. However the flop was k,6,6 and he bets 1800. I fold my 1100 there as a 6 is well within his range. :)
  • Options
    F_IvanovicF_Ivanovic Member Posts: 2,395
    edited October 2015
    @Tikay: You say that w4rlock doesn't need to do anything silly because of his stack size yet he limp/called a pot raise pre with a garbage hand - surely that is silly in of itself :) 

Post-flop is kind of the spot where you could do with reads on your opponent. He could potentially have a FD with something else to go with it (be it a pair or just a potential low draw) Or he could just have a K. Most players don't lead out when they flop the world (in this case a 6) but OFC there are some exceptions as there was here. Tikay does make a good point about having a playable stack if we fold though. As long as their is a stack size relatively close to ours then we can definitely fold and look to find another spot.

Hand 2 is a bit disgusting when they lead flop for 400 and they themselves are a short(ish) stack... it just screams of having a J here and against that we only have 10% equity.... so, potentially we can find a fold here even though it would leave us v short it's certianly by no means uncomeabackable from! We only need one double up and we are back in it. However again we need to be hugely confident in our read for us to be folding.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for the feedback Tikay and everyone.

No those hands are not typical of all of my exits in those 7/8 losses, some were clear mistakes by me and some were clear (I think) bad luck (examples of both of those later).

Hand 1 - Pot lead outs are generally having it - especially against my preflop strength. I do respect W4rlock, regular on these tables and tough to beat. I kind of thought at the time he is capable of bluffing a flop and of semi bluffing with a nut flush draw. A 6 is much less likely to be in my range than his and he would think he can push me off alot of hands I would raise pre with especially and A combo with only a low draw. I agree with Ivanavic in that I generally dont expect a pot with a 6, either a check or a weak lead to keep me on or get me to shove. Overall I am not embarassed with my call, but I also think folding has a lot of merit and a couple of unopposed shoves or a double up and I am right back in it.

Check or raise pre? When the blinds are that big, generally I favour the more aggreassive lines pre. If I would have opened and I am limped to I generally pot. It is actually quite unusual to be limped to in those spots. I am raising here to get a fold, if repotted I am not folding.

I do take your points though Hendo and Hottie. Without the Aces here, or with that hand and small blinds I am definitely checking and seeing a flop. Maybe with that stack I can still take a passive line and preserve ships if I miss or maximise my chances to get chips if I nail the flop.

Hand 2 the flop lead does scream I like this board - it could be a cheeky bluff in case I have a low only hand, I was MT and chatting and had no player specific reads to go on. I just autopiloted the pre-raise and decided I was committed pretty much whatever happened. Folding to leave 745 behind is definitely an option if we are pretty sure our opponent has it.

Again with lower blinds I am happy with the more passive line and seeing flops in position but this deep I am mr aggro.

Hand 3 - Nothing more to say really justified but failed steal - move on.