You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Build a Bankroll

Comments

• Options
    BlackFish3BlackFish3 Member Posts: 2,418
    edited January 2010
    well the guy went all in with A5... and you called and the other players folded.
    imo you should of gone all in as well after the guy with A5 did so that other players behind dont call.
    does that make more sense?
  • Options
    donkeyplopdonkeyplop Member Posts: 3,795
    edited January 2010
    oh right i see!

well at the time with my aces the more the merrier lol! when i saw his ace 5 i thought yes he needs 2 more 5s which he got!.

even he said in the chatbox he had his coat on haha

also i find in dym's when you get 2 go all in anyone after just leaves it to them.
  • Options
    ACESOVER8sACESOVER8s Member Posts: 1,307
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Build a Bankroll:
    oh right i see! well at the time with my aces the more the merrier lol! when i saw his ace 5 i thought yes he needs 2 more 5s which he got!. even he said in the chatbox he had his coat on haha also i find in dym's when you get 2 go all in anyone after just leaves it to them.
    Posted by donkeyplop
    Your a massive fav pre flop but yo udon't want anyone else in the pot with you. Your odds of winning will decrease (by a LOT) for every player that enters - Against 4 hands you may as well kiss your tourny goodbye. (well maybe not quite that dramatic but you get the point)

Merenovice may drop in and do the maths on just how much your odds will reduce against say 3 random hands but it won't be pretty i can tell you that
  • Options
    Dudeskin8Dudeskin8 Member Posts: 6,228
    edited January 2010
    Just ran it and against A5 your 90% fave, add 9 10s and that drops to 67% just 2-1, then with 2's in aswell your just a 54% fave.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ok i will try that next time!

better today won 7 lost 2!

• Options
    edited January 2010
    good job, keep it up and dont let your confidence get knocked!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    made 15+ buy ins at 4NL so i think i have that beat... moving up to 8NL today... thinking of taking a shot with 10BIs and 3 tabling, see how i get on :)
  • Options
    penguin7penguin7 Member Posts: 1,095
    edited January 2010
    I love this thread !! But I notice there are no tournament players on it. When I started out I played a mixture of sit and goes (there were no DYMs back then !)  and low stake tournaments, using sit and go winnings to finance tournament entries. That way I avoided the rake and the grind of playing low stakes cash. I still remember the day when after a run of STT success I paid £5 entry to a tourny and won 270. After that the pressure was off and I was always able to play well within my bankroll and patiently build. I would love to hear from anyone taking this route. My only problem now  is I still am pretty poor at cash !!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    COME ON!!!! my 1st 8NL session... just a shorty, 3 tabled for 40 mins... made over £15 :D!!! almost 2 BIs in 40 mins, im well happy! Will have another session tonight.
  • Options
    walesboywalesboy Member Posts: 993
    edited January 2010
    Hello

Play 2p/4p
    Bankroll - £24
    Down £46 since New Year. Pre New Year was up £30!
    Playing too many evenings at weekends and getting beat!
    Aim - try to get back the profit by not playing weekend evenings and hope to not have to depoisit more. Develop a better game.

Alot of talk on the thread about DYM's. Are they a good idea for a guy who plays cash only, and only 5 months experience. Does it need a different technique/game to cash as I've got conflicting advice from friends?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hello Play 2p/4p Bankroll - £24 Down £46 since New Year. Pre New Year was up £30! Playing too many evenings at weekends and getting beat! Aim - try to get back the profit by not playing weekend evenings and hope to not have to depoisit more. Develop a better game. Alot of talk on the thread about DYM's. Are they a good idea for a guy who plays cash only, and only 5 months experience. Does it need a different technique/game to cash as I've got conflicting advice from friends?
    Posted by walesboy
    dym are tactically slightly different... more passive, less agression... but they are a good way to gain experience whilst building a roll/losing slowly. I personally recommend them... even if it is just 30p dym, they have served me well. Let me know if u want any dym advice.
  • Options
    walesboywalesboy Member Posts: 993
    edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Build a Bankroll : dym are tactically slightly different... more passive, less agression... but they are a good way to gain experience whilst building a roll/losing slowly. I personally recommend them... even if it is just 30p dym, they have served me well. Let me know if u want any dym advice.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Thx, I will. I might try one tonight and see how I go.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    just give it a go, play tight and let others knock each other out... maybe post some hands you want to discuss. good luck.
  • Options
    onthemoononthemoon Member Posts: 11
    edited January 2010
    Its not that i started with £10 as my bankroll, im always withdrawing my money, i start with a small amount and build it up, works everytime, i play better when im under a tough challenge, i have enough money in my poker bank account to start with a bigger bank roll but like i said i enjoy the challenge watch this space ;)
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    Gavin we only have your word that you have cashed out and left £10.00 in your account,if you like the challenge then build your bankroll bigger and step up to a bigger cash table, and see if you like the challenge with the BIG boys

AKA onthemoon.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hello Play 2p/4p Bankroll - £24 Down £46 since New Year. Pre New Year was up £30! Playing too many evenings at weekends and getting beat! Aim - try to get back the profit by not playing weekend evenings and hope to not have to depoisit more. Develop a better game. Alot of talk on the thread about DYM's. Are they a good idea for a guy who plays cash only, and only 5 months experience. Does it need a different technique/game to cash as I've got conflicting advice from friends?
    Posted by walesboy
    hi ive only been playing about 4 months and i find dym's the best way to build a bankroll nicely.

just stick to the low entry ones that way if you dont double up it doesnt affect your br much.
  • Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    Date Bankroll Difference Comments Cashouts Cashout Comments Monthly Profit  
    18-Jan £1.50 £1.50       £131.84 £1.50
    22-Jan £52.50 £51.00         £52.50
    23-Jan £73.00 £20.50         £73.00
    24-Jan £87.80 £14.80         £87.80
    25-Jan £25.00 £25.00   £37.80 NL10 shot, 2 buyins   £62.80
    26-Jan £50.10 £25.10         £87.90
    27-Jan £69.91 £19.81 SWINGY!       £107.71
    28-Jan £69.21 £0.70     NL10shot lost flips :(   £107.01
    29-Jan £44.04 £24.83   £50.00 Tilt Control   £131.84

• Options
    DeadluckDeadluck Member Posts: 521
    edited January 2010
    Decided to just update my original post as i go along, save for unneccessary spamming and wastage of valuable binary real estate!
  • Options
    ginge999ginge999 Member Posts: 95
    edited January 2010
    hi loving the thread awsome reads,

i would like to contribute my poker story and objective.

ive been on the site for a while now, played all sorts of stakes and games on here, i just checked on my accounts, i have two cards on the site my old one which has had £477.54 earnings on and my new one which is currently on £673.54. Which has bought me some nice things. now to the poker talk, i began my poker journey playing small cash games of 4nl i was profitable ive had a few cashs on some of the tournys and once came 7th in the open bubbled with AK vs JJ :(. Ive won a couple of MTT's for £200 which made me very happy. but i never can build a steady bankroll with out going bust or drawing most of it out, hence my withdraws. I got to £400 roll building once, then blew the lot on roulette lol. got to £150 recently lost £50 on a cooler hand heads up, so drew £70 out and im currently sitting on £30 in my balance. how the **** am i suppose to build a roll i really dont understand how i can do it im desperate to do something!

Any tips greatly appreciated

Thanks Tom (Ginge999)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ok tom, with your £30 hit 4NL again, build it up to 100, withdraw £20 (so you can smile as you have locked away some profit :) ) and then move up to 8NL, build it up, withdraw a small sum and repeat... but dont ever play roulette... ever.
  • Options
    SDodgerSDodger Member Posts: 141
    edited February 2010
    Nice thread,  good read.

Joined sky in Nov.09, having played a short while on anoher site loading £20 n playing for couple months with that, I thought I would try without loading cash n build from nothing. So I played with £2 bonus, played cash NL4 n a 3rd place freeroll got up to £29 in about 3weeks.
    Was up n down through Dec [not bein consistant] missed week or so at xmas n was down to around £10~.
    Starting Jan wasnt too good also, up n down n sencond week was down to 19p [+30p dym, which I won], so continued playing low dym's started the increase to about £6, then combined cash NL4, low dym's, Hu, BH's, n odd tourns was back up to £26 last week.
    Cant seem to get out the 20's, up n downs from 10 to 20 something... A few good days then my game seems to crumble... ?

want to be more consistant,.. Build that BR.....