You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Markycash diary - It's been a while! Anyone up for Twitch?

Comments

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited August 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Tiny bit of progress in the job hunt:
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Tiny bit of progress in the job hunt : It's the right thread for 4 page essays, Danny.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just for you :)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Thanks Phantom and itsover4u!

@Rab - Nah that big Champions League club :)
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited August 2017
    Did you know that concrete is the most used manmade material on the planet?
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,373
    edited August 2017

Good luck with that double job interview day, Marky.

Have you sent them your CV? How many pages did they run to? 
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Did you know that concrete is the most used manmade material on the planet?
    Posted by Phantom66
    And yet we take it for granted.

Glass must be high on the list, too. Imagine life without glass.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Taken for granted list;

Concrete

Glass

Fresh, clean, running water.

Grass

Trees

Sky Bet
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,292
    edited August 2017
    Taken for granted list; Concrete   Glass Fresh, clean, running water. Grass Trees Sky Bet
    Posted by Tikay10
    Air?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Good luck with the job interviews Mark, will you be taking your own translator?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Tiny bit of progress in the job hunt : Air?
    Posted by Enut
    Yup, good one, it's quite important.

Sewage systems is another good one. Imagine life without an efficient sewage system.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Good luck with the job interviews Mark, will you be taking your own translator?
    Posted by Enut
    Very good point, Tuney. The interview will likely start in this fashion;

Good morning Marky.

Haway the noo, see the floopen, wee bairn danoo marsbarinbatter

Pardon?

• Options
    edited August 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Tiny bit of progress in the job hunt : Very good point, Tuney. The interview will likely start in this fashion; Good morning Marky. Haway the noo, see the floopen, wee bairn danoo marsbarinbatter NEXT!  
    Posted by Tikay10
    FYP
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Aye aye, well played ya pair o trolly chancurs. Yi goat nuhin betta ti dae?

In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Tiny bit of progress in the job hunt:
    Have you sent them your CV? How many pages did they run to?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Perhaps my finest achievement... I actually worked on condensing this last week and got it down to...

1 page! (It is okay to use 1.5 font and hand out free magnifying glasses as an appendix right?)

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Taken for granted list; Concrete   Glass Fresh, clean, running water. Grass Trees Sky Bet
    Posted by Tikay10
    You have probably seen Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs model? And the altered versions with wifi and battery added.

The internet must be becoming one of the most taken for granted things these days. Imagine this was 'uninvented' overnight, it is crazy to think how much things would change.

Although I am surprised that battery technology has not advanced quicker; I guess we take batteries thoroughly for granted too.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Tiny bit of progress in the job hunt : You have probably seen Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs model? And the altered versions with  wifi and battery  added. The internet must be becoming one of the most taken for granted things these days. Imagine this was 'uninvented overnight', it is crazy to think how much things would change. Although I am surprised that battery technology has not advanced quicker; I guess we take batteries thoroughly for granted too.
    Posted by markycash
    I lived half my life without Internet, & it was fine. It'd certainly be a struggle to adjust to life without it now though. No Facebook, Google, Amazon, or Online Poker. In fact SB&G would not exist.

Battery life is a glowing exception to progress though - they still have some way to go on that one.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Tiny bit of progress in the job hunt : I lived 95% my life without Internet, & it was fine. It'd certainly be a struggle to adjust to life without it now though. No Facebook, Google, Amazon, or Online Poker. In fact SB&G would not exist. Battery life is a glowing exception to progress though - they still have some way to go on that one.   
    Posted by Tikay10

FYP ;-) You really gave me a penalty kick there!

I actually have lived over half my life without internet and I do related to your point. Part of me hankers over a 'simpler time' before the internet boom. I remember my own family used to take so much more time and effort to visit one another etc. Although It is probably just nostalgia I guess. As you mention it would be hard not to miss it now that we have got so used to it, both personally and in the world of business etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Night time in my house sums up some of the changes the internet has made to some families.

There inevitably comes that point in the evening when someone in the house throws that comment into the room...

So what shall we get up to tonight? Shall we all watch something together? A few vacant looks ensue as everyone realises there is no way we are going to agree universally on something to watch. I mean we have that series we are watching on Netflix and that film we downloaded. Not to mention the poker we can play and that email we meant to reply to...

Ten minutes later...

Modern family life

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Then again, at the end of the day, were we really all that different back then?

Clicky - Back when we used to be better at communicating with one other...
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    edited August 2017
    Yes i remember when i was a kid you had to knock on your friends door to see if he was coming out for a game of football (no facebook or mobile phone) Imagine that actually talking to people what a nightmare how did we manage it. 
    No internet = no life ? suicide rates would go through the roof if we had to talk to each other again :-}

Good luck with the job hunt Marky
  • Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    edited August 2017
    och wee man, dintnet tranzfarmed dilff off deeeesbld foolks. I ca neer geebak

How is my Glaswegian  coming on?

English translation:

"Mate, the internet transformed the life of disabled people. I could never go back"

Hope the job hunting went well. If both were shift work, you could accept both!
  • Options
    NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,171
    edited August 2017
    When I was a kid in the 80s we nerds used bulletin boards and eventually the internet, but they weren't as convenient as the WWW. Remember the internet was around long before the genius of Tim and his hypertext protocol :)