You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Markycash diary - It's been a while! Anyone up for Twitch?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,370
    edited September 2017

Any views on THIS Mr Markycash?

Yup, thought you would.
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited September 2017
    Interesting thread!

Will reply to this tonight. In general I think the variance should be less in PL than when compared to NL. FL is better still and by far my favourite format for OH8 although it struggles to attract many runners. I think I remember you voicing a dislike of FL though? 

Apologies for the lack of updates...

Poker and books etc have had to take a back seat this week and probably next week too. 4 job interviews lined up and expecting more to come in. Oh yeah and the small matter of flitting my son and all his stuff to his new flat in Dundee Thursday past in time for him starting uni next week.

That was just oodles of fun!

The main highlight was trying to fit a 3 seater reclining sofa through a doorway that was several inches smaller than said sofa while also trying not to touch any of the newly decorated walls. Literally had to take it apart and rebuild it (the sofa, not the wall, thankfully)...
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    edited September 2017
    GL with the jobs marky 
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Thanks safc!

Quick update while I wait on the 7:15pm game starting...

Had my the first of my interviews today. Wasn't particularly nervous as I had spent the entire day planning for it, researching the company, the job role, photocopying loads of documents they asked me to bring and getting ready. I also chose the 4:30pm slot (the last one of the day) as I remembered from my psychology studies that when people try to remember things they tend to remember stuff from the start and end the best and can forget things in the middle.

So all prepared I set off and it dawned on me I hadn't been to a formal job interview for 20 years+ so a small amount of nerves did kick in. The last job I got I impressed enough in an informal telephone chat that I was offered the job there and then. The last slot of the day thing sort of bit me on the backside. Rather than having the last word and a chance to leave a lasting impression the 3 interviewers seemed jaded from a full day of interviewing and seemed like they just wanted to get home. They rifled through the questions in 12 minutes instead of the allotted 30 minutes, went through the motions and didn't give me much platform to mention the stuff I had been preparing all day...

Oh well, more interviews lined up. Hopefully they go a bit better!

On the poker front I decided to try and play the PLO8 BH games this week after giving them a break last week. Was chipleader in the first one with 8 left and finished 7th or 8th, pfft... Managed to win the 2nd one though and get the week off to a decent start.

Hope you are all doing well on and off the tables and thanks for reading my ramblings!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - general ramblings:
    Thanks safc! Quick update while I wait on the 7:15pm game starting... Had my the first of my interviews today. Wasn't particularly nervous as I had spent the entire day planning for it, researching the company, the job role, photocopying loads of documents they asked me to bring and getting ready. I also chose the 4:30pm slot (the last one of the day) as I remembered from my psychology studies that when people try to remember things they tend to remember stuff from the start and end the best and can forget things in the middle. So all prepared I set off and it dawned on me I hadn't been to a formal job interview for 20 years+ so a small amount of nerves did kick in. The last job I got I impressed enough in an informal telephone chat that I was offered the job there and then. The last slot of the day thing sort of bit me on the backside. Rather than having the last word and a chance to leave a lasting impression the 3 interviewers seemed jaded from a full day of interviewing and seemed like they just wanted to get home. They rifled through the questions in 12 minutes instead of the allotted 30 minutes, went through the motions and didn't give me much platform to mention the stuff I had been preparing all day... Oh well, more interviews lined up. Hopefully they go a bit better! On the poker front I decided to try and play the PLO8 BH games this week after giving them a break last week. Was chipleader in the first one with 8 left and finished 7th or 8th, pfft... Managed to win the 2nd one though and get the week off to a decent start. Hope you are all doing well on and off the tables and thanks for reading my ramblings!
    Posted by markycash
    He probably never understood a word you said, so he used the tactics I used in Vegas - just nod appreciatively & say "yeah, you are right".

PS - Good luck with the job hunting. Proper character building, that, but I'm sure you'll get the right job & succeed.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - general ramblings:
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - general ramblings : He probably never understood a word you said, so he used the tactics I used in Vegas - just nod appreciatively & say "yeah, you are right". PS - Good luck with the job hunting. Proper character building, that, but I'm sure you'll get the right job & succeed.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Haha, so that is why they were confused when I turned up and started working for them ;-) At least they ran with it and paid me lol.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Incidentally I am getting a proper slowroll over this interview...

They didn't ask for any of my ID documents at the interview showing I was eligible to work in the UK or my qualifications which they said I must bring to the interview. Added to the fact the interview went about 10% as well as I was hoping I thought there would be more chance of my dog being fluent in Russian by the time I returned home than of getting the job. 

I was told that I would be informed by email that night or the following day (don't call us we will call you sort of thing).

Then I realised my phone was on silent and I had a missed call from them just 1 hour after the appointment. I had my phone on silent for the interview and forgot to take it off. Obviously I retuned the call and phoned today but the person is attending a conference all day. No email has came either so I have to wait indefinitely to be told no.

I just don't understand why they didn't send an email like they said they would, especially when they were not going to be contactable all day. All this cloak and daggers has left wondering if my assessment that there was 0% chance was accurate as they could simply email saying 'Sorry your application has not been successful, blah blah blah' and put me out of my misery in seconds.

Proper slowroll material this...
  • Options
    TheMadMonkTheMadMonk Member Posts: 291
    edited September 2017
    marky ,just found a video of your job interview.

• Options
    edited September 2017

Ha. That IS Marky.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Haha good one Mad Monk.

Uh guess a jist need tae keep oan burgulin :)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Again I just thought I would have a wee ramble while I wait on the PLO8 games kicking off...

Had another interview this morning. Was I nervous? Not at all!

Actually to be truthful, that last bit is complete b0ll0cks... I was up until 5:30am as I couldn't stop thinking about it so sleeping was just completely out of the question.

While I was awake in the wee hours I figured I may as well make use of the time and do some extra preparation for the interview and thought of a few strategies which may improve my chances.

So I went along all prepared with the folder of documents that did not even get opened at the last interview, arrived 10 minutes early and sat in the foyer/reception area. A few of the service users were also sat in the area and seen as I was there to be interviewed as to the possibility of working with them... I thought maybe I should try and strike up a conversation. 

This went well and I got chatting to them all and a couple of staff members (yes Tikay they did understand me! I think). They asked if I would like to see around the place and see some of the work they do. I of course happily took up the offer and got the grand tour. The receptionist said she would let the interview panel know where I was if I was called for interview.

I got back from the tour and I had indeed been called but the staff member giving me the tour said they knew where I was as one of them had passed by us. I was quickly called into the interview room and sat with the panel of 3 interviewers as before.

Pretty intimidating atmosphere as I guess pretty much all such interview scenarios are. The conversation flowed well this time though (honestly Tikay, I kid you not!). I managed to say 90% of what I wanted to highlight instead of 10% like the last interview, the time overran a little, a few jokes were cracked by the panel and I even got to open the folder and show them some of the stuff I prepared this time. All in all it went about as well as I could have hoped for and the lead panel member walked me out to the door and chatted with me for 5-10 minutes about the place.

I will hear on or before Tuesday so fingers crossed but either way I am just happy that it went well and gave the confidence a wee boost. The confidence had took a bashing after the last one and being the stubborn so and so that I am I had redoubled efforts and spent 20 hours straight applying for jobs the day after.

On the poker front...

Well I have been a bit consumed by all of this and only played a few PLO8 BH's. I think I may be around 6p up via bounties.

Will go and see if I can improve upon that 6p just now :)

Hope you are all doing well and good luck on and off the tables and thanks for reading the drivel.

Have a great weekend all!
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,162
    edited September 2017
    Hope it works out Mark, I hate interviews with an absolute passion. 
  • Options
    DonttelmumDonttelmum Member Posts: 1,921
    edited September 2017
    Fingers crossed Marky.  Not sure why anyone wouldn't want to employ you.  GL
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,481
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Some rambling drivel about interviews and such:
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Surprised you can remember them
    Didn't Old Tom Morris do your last interview?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Some rambling drivel about interviews and such:
    Fingers crossed Marky.  Not sure why anyone would want to employ you.  GL
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Corrected DTM's typo.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Some rambling drivel about interviews and such:
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Cheers Neil, hope all is well with you.

Yeah I will be rather happy when I get something sorted and don't need to attend another one for a little while. The panel of 3 judges thing is rather intimidating. Feels like I am constantly having to do X-Factor auditions or something. 

In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Some rambling drivel about interviews and such:
    Fingers crossed Marky.  Not sure why anyone wouldn't want to employ you.  GL
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Thanks James!

It is weird the way the interview process plays with one's psychology. I convinced myself after the cr@p interview at the start of the week that it didn't go as bad as I thought, but it did. Now I am convincing myself this one didn't go as well as I thought when in reality it did, whether I get the job or not. Think I am sweating this one a bit more as the job ticks so many boxes. A 4 minute commute from my house, nice work environment and decent pay.

Hope the 16 tabling went well last night. One glance at your set-up made me realise how pathetic the levels of volume I put in these days are lol.

In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Some rambling drivel about interviews and such : Surprised you can remember them Didn't Old Tom Morris do your last interview?
    Posted by Jac35

Harsh Paul,

Wasn't that way way back in the olden times, around about when Tikay was in like his fifties and the steam engine was just being invented?
  • Options
    LmfaoAllinLmfaoAllin Member Posts: 1,213
    edited September 2017
    Gl with the job hunt Mark, fingers crossed for the 4 minute commute one, sounds ideal. Cant put a price on convenience.

In the meantime, a reminder from the east coasters on how not to do it...

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Gl with the job hunt Mark, fingers crossed for the 4 minute commute one, sounds ideal. Cant put a price on convenience. In the meantime, a reminder from the east coasters on how not to do it... https://youtu.be/S3HBBPOUYOc
    Posted by LmfaoAllin
    Haha class, love that film!

Haven't seen TS2 yet, hope it does justice to the original.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,657
    edited September 2017
    you came across very well in your interveiw marky heres hoping you get the job mate gl
  • Options
    edited September 2017

I may not be around tomorrow morning, so just wanted to wish you luck with the result of the interview.

My reading between the lines suggests you are a shoo-in.

However, I have incredible bokking skills, so I'm going to revert to the reverse anti-bok here & say you have no chance.