You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Markycash diary - It's been a while! Anyone up for Twitch?

Comments

• Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,871
    edited September 2017

That all sounds a bit challenging, Mark, but life can be like that sometimes. Cream always rises to the top eventually though, & perseverance is much under-rated. Keep plugging away, & success will come when you least expect it.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

It occurs to me that your face to face interviews might go better if you never spoke - or if you have to speak, try & drop that dreadful accent.

Also, how long are your Power Point presentations. I'm guessing 5 hours, 6 hours, something of that order?

Have you ever heard of the word "brevity"?

"concise and exact use of words in writing or speech"

PS - love you, xxxx
  • Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited September 2017
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - Some rambling drivel about interviews and such:
    It occurs to me that your face to face interviews might go better if you never spoke - or if you have to speak, try & drop that dreadful accent.   Also, how long are your Power Point presentations. I'm guessing 5 hours, 6 hours, something of that order? Have you ever heard of the word "brevity"? "concise and exact use of words in writing or speech" PS - love you, xxxx
    Posted by Tikay10
    Haha, cheers Tikay.

Done a dry run and the Powerpoint was to be 10 minutes long but was actually 25 minutes. I have since chopped that in half though.

Brevity? Nope never heard of that. Sounds like a load of nonsense! I am to the English language the eqvuivalent of 100 sacks of 'stuff' to a minimalist.

Thanks for the pep talk! Had a quick powernap and have a bit more pep in the old step.

P.S. love you too xxx, even if you do rip the **** out of me :D

Hope all is well with you!!!!!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    P.P.S. I hear Twitter are thinking of doubling the amount of characters you can use in a tweet. Exciting times!
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    edited September 2017

Hey Mark, loving the sound of those jobs - glglgl.

Insomnia is a brute. I had chronic insomnia/anxiety for a couple of years and it's only been the last handful of months since it's started to go away. I'm glad it has, as my mental health was in ribbons by the end of it and I can only sympathise. 

Sympathise, and offer a little advice - although what works for one person may not work for another. I have found though that a combination of: regular exercise (swimming/long walks/tennis), cutting down on smoking from 15-odd cigarettes a day to 4-5 a day, breathing techniques used by the Navy Seals, apparently, to curb anxiety (breathing in for four seconds, holding for four seconds, breathing out for four seconds, holding for four seconds, repeat), Alan Watts talks on youtube, playing poker with my mouth deliberately hanging open rather than clamped shut, punching a punch bag, vats of camomile tea, magnesium supplements, visualisation and decent single malts have all helped dramatically*.  

Or perhaps they haven't. I also have pretty bad migraines (had one every day for ten days a few months ago) and the culprit for such things often remains in the shadows. Perhaps the above changes helped me, or perhaps it was just some weird neurological quirk that has brought about better sleep. 

Anyway, best of luck - hope your situation improves. 

*Oh, and fewer cups of tea/less refined sugar.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Quick update on my irrelevant goings on while I have a few moments free.

I wouldn't bother but I know there are a smattering of sadists amongst you who actually freely choose to read my wafflings :)

I am a bit more upbeat generally after I got to throw my toys out of the pram in one of my previous updates. It is unlike me to be fair, I do always try to find the silver linings, even in the most bleak of situations.

The last 2 interviews were basically another kick in the nuts. Received good feedback and one of them said they agonised over their decision for an extra 2 days as they could not decide (not sure if I was one of the candidates they were torn between but I am happy to opt for delusion either way).

Anyways back on the horse and all that jazz... Have another 7 interviews and counting lined up over the next 2 weeks. If only I got points for making the interview stage... 

They are a real mixed bag; Residential Support Worker, School counsellor, Regular Support Worker x 2, Senior Residential Support Worker and a Health and Wellbeing Project Manager.

Oh yeah, and pretty much the dream job (well, apart from being a professional footballer earning £500k a week, that seems a touch unlikely at my age with my physique though)...

I have managed to secure an interview at a college for a full on lecturing position. I would absolutely love this job so have been preparing for the interview all day today and will prepare all week (it is on Friday). One of my old lecturers has agreed to meet me this week and give me advice too. Really kind of him taking the time to do that! Going to put as much prep as possible into all these interviews and make one of them stick so there will be pretty much zero free time over the coming weeks.

Which brings me onto the poker front updates...

Well not much has been or is likely to happen on that front in the immediate future.

Frustrating? Not at all!

I would love nothing more than to get tore in on the tables but nailing an ideal job is also part of the long term poker jigsaw. When I do land it then any poker profits will be freed up to invest on the poker front and I can then try to make some moves. So I have no problem being patient at the moment. Although I doubt I will make it to Brighton now. Brighton is almost literally as far away from me as it is possible to get without being abroad. On that note I doubt I will be able to defend my UKOPS title either, there just wont be enough time sadly.

Never mind, all things in good time :)

Well those ramblings should keep the insomniacs with plenty of material to secure some proper shut-eye!

Thanks for reading and hope you are all doing well both on and off the tables. Hopefully I will get to join you all on the tables in the not too distant future.

Have a great weekend.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,639
    edited October 2017
    i really wish you luck in your interviews marky esp the one you really want
    poker will always be here for you there always summut to look forward to on sky poker
    oh..who is his debbie downer , sounds like an intresting girl you,ll have to introduce her to me some day :)
  • Options
    edited October 2017

You do know how this story ends, right?

You end up with THREE offers at the same time, & have to choose one.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for the update Mark, really hope you find your calling soon, am missing doing battles with you on the felt.
  • Options
    QUICKFEETQUICKFEET Member Posts: 528
    edited October 2017
    May be the disappointments of the past few weeks have been just to pave the way and give you the experience to smash the interview for your dream job
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Thanks for the kind words.

A couple of you were pretty much on the money...

Just been told today that I got the lecturing position. It is basically a supply college lecturer to begin with but I have had a couple of indicators that if all goes well it could move to full time very quickly. I assume they will be wanting to see if I can handle it to begin with.

Really appreciate the support from you all. It can be quite a demoralising experience hurdling through all the interviews. Speaking of which I had another this morning that went very well so there is every chance I get offered that and have to turn it down... Wouldn't it be typical :-p

Have a great weekend all, hopefully see you on the felt soon.

Job hunting = over!
  • Options
    mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited October 2017
    Fantastic news Mark, really really pleased for you! :)
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Terrific news, congratulations.
  • Options
    gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited October 2017
    Great news, happy for you Mark.

Ger
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited October 2017
    WP mate, really pleased for you!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,478
    edited October 2017
    Congrats 
    Richly deserved 
  • Options
    safc71safc71 Member Posts: 1,541
    edited October 2017
    Got the one you wanted too well done Marky. 
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    edited October 2017

Nice one Marky, made up for you m8.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,639
    edited October 2017
    wheres the like button :)
    wp marky knew youd come out the other end
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,384
    edited October 2017