You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Markycash diary - It's been a while! Anyone up for Twitch?

Comments

• Options
    LmfaoAllinLmfaoAllin Member Posts: 1,213
    edited May 2016
    Enjoying your diary Mark, great read.

The hh, accompanying thought processes, reflections and ponderings are most enjoyable.

Good luck with your current challenge, I very much enjoy doing things like this, helps keep me focused and eases complacency.

As competition is healthy and all poker players are extremely competitive, I will sweat you on this if that's ok?

My challenge balance is currently £174.49, so you have a little catching up to do : )

Just about to leave for work though so you have time on your side.

Gl defending your PL08 title, you seem to have really made your 'mark' in that.

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - A new challenge - 6 weeks to turn £100 bankroll into...:
    Enjoying your diary Mark, great read. The hh, accompanying thought processes, reflections and ponderings are most enjoyable. Good luck with your current challenge, I very much enjoy doing things like this, helps keep me focused and eases complacency. As competition is healthy and all poker players are extremely competitive, I will sweat you on this if that's ok? My challenge balance is currently £174.49, so you have a little catching up to do : ) Just about to leave for work though so you have time on your side. Gl defending your PL08 title, you seem to have really made your 'mark' in that.
    Posted by LmfaoAllin
    Thanks LmfaoAllin!

The more the merrier in terms of competition, just makes things more interesting and fun!

I doubt I will make too many advances tonight as I am just playing the small buy in league games and chilling tonight. Also pondering having tomorrow night off. Hopefuly I can snag enough to pass your £174.49 tonight, although I will have to smash last nights 40p profit to do so :)

Hoping to keep the ship steady till £300-£400 then start having some periodic pops at MTT's and hopefully rocket on a bit.

GL with your quest too LmfaoAllin! Hopefully we both make a nice profit.
  • Options
    ajmiltonajmilton Member Posts: 1,458
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - A new challenge - 6 weeks to turn £100 bankroll into...:
    Enjoying your diary Mark, great read. The hh, accompanying thought processes, reflections and ponderings are most enjoyable. Good luck with your current challenge, I very much enjoy doing things like this, helps keep me focused and eases complacency. As competition is healthy and all poker players are extremely competitive, I will sweat you on this if that's ok? My challenge balance is currently £174.49, so you have a little catching up to do : ) Just about to leave for work though so you have time on your side. Gl defending your PL08 title, you seem to have really made your 'mark' in that.
    Posted by LmfaoAllin
    Please James, don't encourage him, we like reading text. 
    Not looking at pictures of AA 9Tos with the accompanying words 
    he hit runner runner to hit his straight gg
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    lol AJ I will make sure any bad beat stories are very limited :D

Day 4 update: £100, 6 weeks challenge.

As mentioned I just played the 4 OH8 league games tonight.

Managed a 1st and a 4th although I think it will be a tie for 1st in the weekly leaderboard and I will be bumped down to 2nd due to the tie breaker rules. Was sitting with a nice stack in the one I finished 4th in, I could have tried to ladder up another place or so to nail the leaderboard but i'm not really a fan of playing that way. Ah well, can't win them all and think I have tied up the monthly leaderboard win for the £33 BH ticket.

Crossed the £200 mark at least and will try and steadily climb to £300+ in the next 3 or 4 days then hopefully have enough leeway to donk around in some MTT's :) Things may get a bit bumpier at that stage due to the joys of MTT variance; hopefully it can be positive variance!

Probably having a night off tomorrow night to recharge the batteries.

Closing balance after day 4: £205.64 (+ £35.72)

Thanks for reading and GL @ the tables!
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - A new challenge - 6 weeks to turn £100 bankroll into... : How did you go in SCOOP Matt? Username? Danny
    Posted by Itsover4u
    magic817 is my alias

No joy, chipped down then JJ v AA which crippled me. Then lost my last few bb (around 5) with a6 V ak. Finished about 60th from memory. 
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well the challenge officially went pear shaped...

Had the whole day free today and wanted to play but there were none of the usual games I would want to play so I hit the cash tables out of boredom and played outside the limits that I should have been playing for my roll in the challenge. Game choice and stake choice that were all awful for my position, I knew all this but was thoroughly bored...

Played bad, ran awful, GG me!

A little relieved in a way as I was getting a little bit bored grinding away and feeling a bit restricted.

Will have a day or so to clear my head, deposit this week and play more of the stuff I want to play. Hopefully bink some MTT's and be glad I wasn't stuck grinding away on the challenge (always got to find the silver lining) :)

I think to save boredom owning me again in future I will also need to deposit elsewhere so when there are not the games open here I want to play during the day I can find something to play that doesn't entail taking a trip to the cash tables. I wouldn't mind if there were OH8 cash tables but obviously they just never seem to get going here.

Hope you are all running better than me this weekend :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - A new challenge:
    Okay so I played tonight as usual and didn't run great anywhere and didn't play great anywhere and was £100 odd down. I didn't mind not running great in key spots in MTT's recently because I was playing the correct spots but just not catching the breaks but tonight I could see it getting to my game. I am not complaining at all about a little run bad, I have had my share of run good too and that is how poker works, I fully realise that! I do mind if I see my game start to get sloppy though... I feel that things have went so smoothly recently that I have got a little stale. Therefore I have decided to set myself a challenge to freshen things up and get some focus back which may make the diary a bit more interesting for the next few weeks (hopefully). I decided to cash a chunk of money out as I can then set aside most of my money for the Vegas trip from recent profits and leave myself with £100 and see what I can do with the £100 in the next 6 weeks. That will take me to the end of June just before the Vegas trip so hopefully I can work the £100 up into something decent to add to any Vegas bankroll. I have done something similar before, on another site 9 of us were given $100 and 1 month to see what we could do at the poker tables. The other 8 bust so the competition was not fierce but I managed to turn the $100 into just over $3.5k, so I will have to go some to beat that! The rules are simple, there are no rules apart from I have the £100 and if I bust it the challenge is over. Only play on Sky poker counts. Obviously if I bust I will deposit and play as normal but I will consider the challenge a failure. Hopefully if it goes well it may prove useful for anyone trying to work a bankroll up from a limited amount. If anyone wants to join in and have a side bet of sorts then feel free :) As to targets, I will aim to beat the profit ratio of the last time I done this, so just over £3,500. Obviously I ran good that time so this may be a dismal failure in comparison but I do have an extra 2 weeks to do it so will give it a shot.
    Posted by markycash
    Hi Marky lad, to early to quit this challenge your only 6 days into it.
    I don't think you should consider this  a failure, you were doing so well. 
    you've more than doubled your br in 5 day's without any massive binkage in mtt's.

You're talking about redeposit, i don't think you should scrap this challenge, 
    just because you got bored for one day, and went mental on the cash tables.
    I suggest you deposit your closing balance as of yesterday (£200 plus small notes)
    and carry on with the challenge (we will forgive you)

Lets not forget what this challenge was all about, marky lad.
    FOCUS
    VEGAS BR
    £3,500
    EXTRA 2 WEEKS
    NO RULES 
    Come on Marky lad, give it another shot.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - A new challenge:
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - A new challenge : Hi Marky lad, to early to quit this challenge your only 6 days into it. I don't think you should consider this  a failure, you were doing so well.  you've more than doubled your br in 5 day's without any massive binkage in mtt's.  You're talking about redeposit, i don't think you should scrap this challenge,  just because you got bored for one day, and went mental on the cash tables. I suggest you deposit your closing balance as of yesterday (£200 plus small notes) and carry on with the challenge (we will forgive you) Lets not forget what this challenge was all about, marky lad. FOCUS VEGAS BR £3,500 EXTRA 2 WEEKS NO RULES  Come on Marky lad, give it another shot.
    Posted by ajmilton
    Appreciate the support AJ!

I really want to get tore into some bigger MTT's etc though and don't want to get bogged down grinding.

Looking forward to having more shots at the bigger MTT's and the mixing some of the super rollers in etc :)

I just need to stop wandering to places where I have much less edge when there are not enough things to play...

Poker is always a learning curve and I need to learn to not do dumb things when I am bored due to a lack of the games I want to play on here (twice I have done this now although the first time it worked out better).

Have any of the OH8 regs on here tried coordinating efforts to get the cash tables moving? If people look in and see a few people playing they will be more likely to sit in than when the tables are all empty.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,702
    edited May 2016
    The standard rake on OH8 cash is a killer due to frequency of split pots, would need to have some specific rules in place 
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited May 2016
    WP LmfaoAllin on winning the challenge.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary:
    The standard rake on OH8 cash is a killer due to frequency of split pots, would need to have some specific rules in place 
    Posted by bbMike
    Yes that could be problematic...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Posted by Phantom66
    Yes, well done... Unless he went crazy on the cash tables before I did :)
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,639
    edited May 2016
    Posted by Phantom66

:)
    marky its nothing in the grand scheme of things we,ve all done what you,ve done re-deposit and do the things your good at simples
    gl at the tables m8
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary : :) marky its nothing in the grand scheme of things we,ve all done what you,ve done re-deposit and do the things your good at simples gl at the tables m8
    Posted by stokefc
    Cheers Stoke, yeah I know mate! Already on it :)

And GL to you too!
  • Options
    67Bhoys67Bhoys Member Posts: 2,553
    edited May 2016
    Well the challenge officially went pear shaped... Had the whole day free today and wanted to play but there were none of the usual games I would want to play so I hit the cash tables out of boredom and played outside the limits that I should have been playing for my roll in the challenge. Game choice and stake choice that were all awful for my position, I knew all this but was thoroughly bored... Played bad, ran awful, GG me! A little relieved in a way as I was getting a little bit bored grinding away and feeling a bit restricted. Will have a day or so to clear my head, deposit this week and play more of the stuff I want to play. Hopefully bink some MTT's and be glad I wasn't stuck grinding away on the challenge (always got to find the silver lining) :) I think to save boredom owning me again in future I will also need to deposit elsewhere so when there are not the games open here I want to play during the day I can find something to play that doesn't entail taking a trip to the cash tables. I wouldn't mind if there were OH8 cash tables but obviously they just never seem to get going here. Hope you are all running better than me this weekend :)
    Posted by markycash

We all have done this.  the PLO8 tables take an age to fill, so we wander off into games where our edge is reduced.

I agree that you have to have deposits elsewhere, to play in games that you have an edge in when things are not happening on Sky.

In my opinion, Sky has the best structured DYM PLO8 games, which enable great gameplay.  On the downside, they do not fill as quickly as we would like, plus another big downside for myself, is the rake at the microstakes tables, which is where I generally reside, is pretty much unbeatable, so other sites, although the games are less well structured, are more profitable for a microstakes player.  Not that you need to worry about that ofc, playing at the levels you play.  However, it is the same scenario with the cash PLO8 tables, the rake is taken regardless of the fact that there is split pots, so the games hardly ever run, as the rake is prohibitive.

P.S. Boredom should never lead to you playing outwith your bankroll limits, the only excuse is drunkeness.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - A new challenge - 6 weeks to turn £100 bankroll into... : We all have done this.  the PLO8 tables take an age to fill, so we wander off into games where our edge is reduced. I agree that you have to have deposits elsewhere, to play in games that you have an edge in when things are not happening on Sky. In my opinion, Sky has the best structured DYM PLO8 games, which enable great gameplay.  On the downside, they do not fill as quickly as we would like, plus another big downside for myself, is the rake at the microstakes tables, which is where I generally reside, is pretty much unbeatable, so other sites, although the games are less well structured, are more profitable for a microstakes player.  Not that you need to worry about that ofc, playing at the levels you play.  However, it is the same scenario with the cash PLO8 tables, the rake is taken regardless of the fact that there is split pots, so the games hardly ever run, as the rake is prohibitive. P.S. Boredom should never lead to you playing outwith your bankroll limits, the only excuse is drunkeness.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    +1 
    well said Craig lad
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Yeah agreed, I usually play on quite a few sites. Was just focussing here with the challenge the last week or so.

I have thankfully learned the lesson about cash games and drunkenness...

MTT's and a few drinks are another matter, they usually go well :)
  • Options
    LmfaoAllinLmfaoAllin Member Posts: 1,213
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary - A new challenge - 6 weeks to turn £100 bankroll into... : Please James, don't encourage him, we like reading text.  Not looking at pictures of AA 9Tos with the accompanying words  he hit runner runner to hit his straight gg
    Posted by ajmilton
    Now then Allan, ( former champ ) , do I detect a subtle hint of envy in your tone : )

Sorry to hear of your losses at the cash tables Mark, we have all been there. With the br restraints of this challenge, especially if used to mixing it up with higher buy ins, its understandable to get bored solely grinding and want to take a shot.

Today is my first visit to the forum since my last post, my colleague has had to take unexpected leave so am covering for the foreseeable. Therefore did not know of recent events and have been carrying on with the challenge.

I'm on £238.85, wasn't going to post results initially after reading of recent events but decided to anyway as a kind of goad in case you decide to right off the cash loss and continue : )

Although get the feeling you want to take some shots at bigger gtd mtt's and having br restraints makes that difficult, gl with whatever route you decide on.
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited May 2016

Although we did get the 9-seater PLO8 cash table running once for a forum game, I'm pretty sure that every single person ended up down for the night given how much rake we all had to pay on split pots.

It's fun for a change, and at £4 a pop is affordable when seen in that guise, but I can't see how it could ever be beatable unless your edge over the field was just insane.

Would be ace if one day Sky could tweak the software to only rake scooped pots and try to be industry leader in drawing traffic to the cash PLO8 tables.

GL with whatever the post-BR challenge is.

• Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,159
    edited May 2016
    Although we did get the 9-seater PLO8 cash table running once for a forum game, I'm pretty sure that every single person ended up down for the night given how much rake we all had to pay on split pots. It's fun for a change, and at £4 a pop is affordable when seen in that guise, but I can't see how it could ever be beatable unless your edge over the field was just insane. Would be ace if one day Sky could tweak the software to only rake scooped pots and try to be industry leader in drawing traffic to the cash PLO8 tables. GL with whatever the post-BR challenge is.
    Posted by shakinaces

Err no, that was one of the only nights I actually emerged ahead, unlike any time I play hi only 4 card nonsense with you lot ;-)))