You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Markycash diary - It's been a while! Anyone up for Twitch?

Comments

• Options
    markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited May 2016
    @LmfaoAllin Nice steady work! Good luck if you continue with it on your side. I am going to try and put some serious volume in at PLO8 MTT's across a few sites over the coming weeks and mix a few DYM's in on Sky and have a pop at some of the MTT's etc here too.

@Shakinaces I couldn't agree more regarding the rake. Would be an amazing step by Sky if they could tweak to only take rake on scooped pots. Could be quite a nice niche market to get involved in and may draw a lot more OH8 players to the site and the DYM's etc.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Just a quick update...

I have been caught in no man's land the last few days.

As mentioned I cashed out a chunk and put aside a reasonable amount for Vegas. When I started playing poker again recently I wasn't working with a big roll (deposited £25 initially) as I have been a poor student for the last few years :) So tieing up some cash for Vegas while it was sitting there seemed like a plan as I want to play some cash games etc over there too and attempt to make the trip not just enjoyable but also profitable if possible.

I also wasn't worried about working up from a small amount as I have done this so many times over the years and from very small deposits was around $9k up in my first month back over several sites. I have found it difficult getting momentum though over the last few days from the same small deposits. A mixture of boredom grinding back up from small amounts, run bad and some play bad thrown in (mainly due to the boredom).

As a result I am stuck in no mans land wondering whether to keep at it with the small deposits and be patient or have a few days off or deposit a larger amount. Either way I want to get playing some of the bigger games on here quite soon so I will mull it over and figure it out.

One big pot today could really have got some momentum going on another site. I had 4597 with 2 hearts in a HU OH8 cash game. Flop is 792 with 2 hearts, we get it all in on the flop for around $400+ (a lot of preflop craziness going on so the pot was already inflated) and he shows A3j8 rainbow for a pretty dry low draw with a gutterball. The gutterball 10 lands on the turn and river is a brick. Happy enough with how the $$ went in, opponent is mostly just drawing for a split barring a non heart 10 but the result wasn't ideal.

Anyways, thanks for reading my ramblings and hope you are all running well at the tables!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Little update as it has been a while.

Had a couple of days not playing much as I was running pretty bad and I felt it was starting to affect my game a little.

Got in late tonight but caught the tail end of the Friday night DYM's and felt like I had cleared my head and was back to playing closer to my usual game. Cashed in 4/6 but my 2 loses were in the £16.50's so had a loss of around £2 but was actually happy as I felt I was playing better again.

The DYM's died off for the night and I wanted to keep playing (been there before)... This time I didn't go and play stupid stuff and take risks outside of what I should be and just regged for 2 x £11 £1k GTD BH's. Again I feel playing less for a couple of days helped and I was playing pretty solid. Had my stack decimated early in one of them and got down to around 850 chips but worked this back up, took 4 bountys and made a slight profit.

The other BH I steadily chipped up throughout. We got down to 7 players and the FT bubble and things got interesting. My table was 3 handed with even stacks but the other table had the big chip leader and a shorty with 1.5 BB's. Well about 8 all ins later on that table and the shorty was the table chip leader and we were still on the bubble. Eventually I jammed pocket 10's on my table, was called by AJ and I won the flip and bust the bubble. Took another head on the FT and was then sitting 1/4 with a decent chiplead...

Every other player has around 10 - 15 BB's and I have around 25+. I shove pocket 77's 4 handed and run into AKo and lose the flip and become one of the 10-12 BB stacks. Not to fear I get A2o in the SB and it folds around to me and I jam but the BB is sitting with pocket aces... GG me!

Still around £100 profit and feel I have my focus back and am playing better again after a pretty rough run bad spell that was starting to affect my game and confidence.

Confidence restored a bit, weekend cleared and hoping to play a load of MTT's over the next couple of days here and elsewhere and see what I can do.

Thanks for reading and hope you all have a great weekend whether you are playing poker or doing fun stuff in that strange place with no poker tables or monitors called 'outside'.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,848
    edited May 2016

Loving the diary Marky, keep it coming please.

Thought you ran terribly last night, but don't worry, it'll turn soon enough.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Cheers Tikay!

You are tearing the DYM's up at the moment which is great to see as I have seen you take more than your share of beats but manage to keep your dicipline and patience. Perfect time for you to be playing so consistent and well just before you set out for Vegas.

When I run bad I tend to unintentionally make adjustments in a subconscious effort to try and correct my results which just ends up with my game slightly skewed and I need to have a bit of a reset.

Over the course of the night I think I ran only very marginally below average but managed a £100 profit which almost feels better than running golden and making double the amount.

I will actually post my 2 bust out hands from the £11 BH and see if anyone thinks I could/should have done anything different although I feel the hands probably played themselves.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Short session tonight...

Played 7 or 8 DYM OH8 games and felt I ran slightly below average and played about average. Was £4 down over the course which is no big deal and too short a number of games to draw any conclusions from.

Then played the £5 'Half Time Tourney' and managed to cash for £50. I am not going to analyise the play from this as the structure is so quick a lot of luck is needed (there is some skill element) but with 1 minute blinds things are going to get messy :)

Then played the £33 main BH (which I had a free ticket for), the £5.50 mini and the Mayhem freeroll. The BH's were very disappointing. I had an absolutely brilliant table in the £33 with people carelessly throwing chips all over the place but I couldn't find any spots to take advantage. None of my small pairs made sets, most of my Ax hands missed and I eventually call one Hyper player, I am on the BTN with 56cc and the flop is 4c7cQh so I have an open ended straight flush draw. The hyper player bets big on the flop and I call (I still have 100+ BB's so no need to reraise as I am confident if I hit I will get him all in and if I miss I have no hand) he wasn't doing much in the way of folding which also led me to flat call. Turn is a 6s which gives me a pair and still the open ended straight flush draw. He bets big again and I flat again only to see a complete brick on the river. He checks (I would bet but he is not folding anything he has remotely connected with so I check) he shows QTo and takes it. I am sure I saved chips by not making a move on this river.

I wait patiently and eventually pick up JJ and the same guy from before bets big preflop, I shove 25 BB's with JJ and he calls/shows QQ and holds.

The Mayhem went a bit better and I cashed for £10.

All in all a slightly frustrating day in the games I would be looking to do well in but a £50 profit overall due to freerolls and 1 minute blind structure tourneys lol.

One thing I have noticed is that as players get used to 'my style' in the DYM's they are looking me up quite light. I would expect this and have been in similar scenarios before but I will have to make adjustments :) This is not a complaint and although I appreciate easier money, the challenge is what make the game interesting and it is good for game development if you have to keep adapting.

Hope you are all having an enjoyable and profitable weekend and thanks for reading!

Off to donk about in some OH8 MTT's elsewhere :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,848
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary:
      One thing I have noticed is that as players get used to 'my style' in the DYM's they are looking me up quite light
    Posted by markycash
    What?

WHAT?

That's outrageous, & disrespectful.

Tell me who is doing this, & I'll have a word.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    In Response to Re: Markycash diary : What? WHAT? That's outrageous, & disrespectful. Tell me who is doing this, & I'll have a word.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Haha :D

You have definitely altered your range versus me (although I would say you have altered your range very accurately). I have noticed a couple of players have just decided that I just never have anything and I would bet if I was dealt 4 Christmas cards as my hole cards lol :D.

Again this is fine as long as I acknowledge this and make adjustments myself. It would be very one dimensional of me to just stick with the exact same style in such situations. Again not a complaint, I am actually looking forward to putting a lot of volume in on the DYM's and seeing how well I can adjust and the proof will be in the pudding.

Hope you managed to stretch your run to 12 winning sessions last night, you have been very dialed in lately and playing wonderfully! Your game looks to be in tip top condition just before you head to Vegas.
  • Options
    TENTENTENTENTENTEN Member Posts: 481
    edited May 2016
    nice to play in the DTD's with you tonight mr cash hope you enjoyed them & ran well hope to speak to you again sometime sir
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Thanks TEN, was nice playing you too! I see you pipped me by one place in the table :D Well done and hopefully play you again soon.

I ran my KK into a certain jammy dodger's JJ with 15 left for a top 4 stack in one of them and lost or it would have looked a bit better. To be fair the hand played itself and I have been lucky to win a couple of OH8 MTT's HU versus the player so no complaints from me!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,478
    edited May 2016
    Hi Marky

Don't want to derail your other thread so I thought I'd post on here

Yeah, definitely a difference. 
    It just made me think of this guy that's all.

You've played a lot live.
    What's the worst thing you've seen?

I used to play at Gala in Nottingham when I first started. Some incredible things there. It was self deal, so that's pretty bad to start with. Even if the game was straight, you always went away never quite sure.
    The cash games were horrendous. I lost a good few bob before realising that it was a game that I could never win in.

The worst thing ever there was just so disgusting it defies belief. Think Tikay was there at the time and may recall it better than me.

Cliffs
    A player was knocked out and walked around the table and spat in his opponents face.

Nice place Gala :)

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Hi Marky Don't want to derail your other thread so I thought I'd post on here Yeah, definitely a difference.  It just made me think of this guy that's all. You've played a lot live. What's the worst thing you've seen? I used to play at Gala in Nottingham when I first started. Some incredible things there. It was self deal, so that's pretty bad to start with. Even if the game was straight, you always went away never quite sure. The cash games were horrendous. I lost a good few bob before realising that it was a game that I could never win in. The worst thing ever there was just so disgusting it defies belief. Think Tikay was there at the time and may recall it better than me. Cliffs A player was knocked out and walked around the table and spat in his opponents face. Nice place Gala :)
    Posted by Jac35
    Hi Jac,

I have been quite lucky and haven't seen anything too bad. Just the odd tantrum etc, certainly nothing as bad as what you mentioned! That is pretty awful and if someone done that to me my self restraint would be tested to the max...

I was playing an OH8 MTT last year and the dealer was telling us his crazy stories from over the years. He actually said someone sat at his table (a woman) was shot at, her boyfriend came in and they must have had some major bust up and he shot at her. Not sure what the outcome was, I didn't catch all of the story (I think some pretty lady came around offering free drinks so I was distracted lol).
  • Options
    TENTENTENTENTENTEN Member Posts: 481
    edited May 2016
    Yes ty mr cash it was another fun night sir wd on your high position in your first DTD night & i hope you had fun . . . Yes neil said that you were VUL when your two big hands collided anyway best wishes in vegas & hope that you run well GLGL
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Thanks TEN gl in your games too!
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Quick update, not that there is much to update just have not really done one for a little while.

Have just been 'treading water' as they say for the last week or 2 and not really up or down much.

I think I am suffering since cashing out a chunk to tie up some Vegas funds! I had the stomach for slowly and steadily building from small amounts for years when playing full time. There were times when there were little bankroll restrictions and I could play almost anything I wanted but a big chunk of the years playing full time were also a bit of a cycle of - win some money, cash a lot out for bills, work back up and rinse and repeat. This got dull quickly though which was why I went back into full time education to get something solid behind me so I didn't have to constantly decimate my bankroll to pay for everyday life. Having had a break for a while I found it easy to do this again when I started playing again but I am struggling at the moment.

Still a little unsure what to do going forward to be honest, stuck in a little rut at the moment. Don't really want to deposit money I have set aside for the Vegas trip but am finding it hard to play my best and work back up while working with a small amount. #firstworldproblems and all that eh lol, I know many people have real issues to worry about and overall I am very fortunate! It doesn't solve the motivation issue though...

I think this has all resulted in me trying too hard, my motivation tailing off and my play decending to distinctly average at best, coupled with some run bad at key spots deep in MTT's this isn't the best recipe.

It is stuff that I will figure out and in general I am very upbeat! Looking forward to the Vegas trip and looking forward to Sky announcing which live events they will be featuring next and giving them a bash. Also looking forward to following Tikay and Neil's adventures in Vegas and watching the WSOP updates.

Hopefully the next update will be more upbeat and hope you are all running well at the tables!

Thanks for reading,

Marky
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    A bit more upbeat than my last post as I have figured out my route forward so feel very comfortable as I know my future gameplan now.

Rather than sweat to make cash playing poker for everything that will need to be paid in the coming months (especially after setting aside most of my bankroll for the Vegas trip) I have decided to keep my hand in with other financial endeavours and play part time. Probably 5 evenings a week and this ties in with the schedule of games on Sky anyway.

I am relieved having decided this as it takes the pressure off, is probably the smartest choice, will allow me to let any funds in my account grow so I can play higher buy ins when the BR allows and will also probably help my game be more natural due to the pressures being off. Not to mention I will be more physically active which is always a health positive.

If things go amazingly well and I am sitting in a few weeks with a few big wins then I may re-evaluate.

Anyways, thanks for reading my ramblings and hope you are all running well!

Planning to post a few hands this evening and hopefully get some OH8 strategy discussion going.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Thought I would post a few hands (I know how much AJ loves them) :)

AA hands in PLO8 can be troublesome and while plenty players win big pots with them; they are often a common hand people lose large pots with. I don't see this changing but maybe some discussion on different scenarios could be worthwhile.

I will post 3 scenarios where we have the same AA hand on the button and describe the action below each hand.

I will not give my opinion on them currently, if a few others reply with their thoughts then I will post my thoughts and hopefully we all get a few points to consider.

(just to clear any confusion as someone thought hands 1 & 2 were the same... Only our starting stack is different between hands 1 & 2)

Hand 1:

Player

Stack Size

BTN (us with AcAh9s9d)

SB

BB

UTG

UTG+1

UTG+2

Blinds 500-1000 – MTT – 150 entrants – 18 paid – 25 left – Average stack size = 18,000

UTG miniraises to 2,000, UTG+1 pots to 7,500, UTG+2 shoves all in for 16,000 and it is on us to act on the BTN...

What would you do?

Hand 2:

Player

Stack Size

BTN (us with AcAh9s9d)

SB

BB

UTG

UTG+1

UTG+2

Blinds 500-1000 – MTT – 150 entrants – 18 paid – 25 left – Average stack size = 18,000

UTG miniraises to 2,000, UTG+1 pots to 7,500, UTG+2 shoves for 16,000, it is on us to act on the BTN...

What would you do?

Hand 3:

Player Stack Size BTN (us with AcAh9s9d) 2200 SB 1800 BB 2000 UTG 2050 UTG+1 1950 UTG+2 2000 Blinds 100-200 - Double Your Money – 6 handed – 6 left – 3 get paid – average stack size = 2,000
    UTG miniraises to 400, UTG+1 pots it to 1,500, utg+2 shoves for 2,000, it is on us to act on the BTN...

What would you do?
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
    edited June 2016
    Folding all 3 for me
    No low and no suited Aces
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,155
    edited June 2016
    fold 1
    snap 2
    fold 3
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,281
    edited June 2016
    I'm with Jimi here, folding 1 and 3 and going bust with 2! It's not a hand I would want to play at PLO8, no low, no suits, etc.