You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Token of Appreciation. Pledge of Positivity. Thanks to all who have signed the petition!

Comments

• Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited May 2017
    Thanks Quickfeet.

POKER UPDATE. Yes that's right a poker update. I played Poker last night.

As mentioned Tikay had arranged a free entry for running the HUFA II comp so I finally took the opportunity and was in the £22 B/H at 22:00.

Didn't feel I played particularly well, apart from managing not to go busto when a BB defended with T3o and then flopped 2 pair and after 2 checks I hit my A on the turn.

My MTT mantra is if you are not playing well, try and stay in the tourney and then see if you can get lucky at the business end.

After drifting between half starting to starting + abit stack I finally found some luck when a shortstack shoved on my BB and I called and held with A5 v K2.

Had just under 2x starting and 25bbs when I get it in pre with QQ v TT pre. Flop came 3 hearts and I have the Qh. Turn T but I still have a Q or any heart as outs and the river comes a 2nd A to give my opponent a FH. GG GN.

Still over £9 from a free entry and I enjoyed the game so let's take the positives and thanks again Tikay.

Also played a couple of DYMS won 1 lost 1 but that gives me 25 points now, so may have a go at a Mayhem FR and depending on how the rest of the weekend pans out may go for the Super Sunday FR.

edited May 2017
    Excited for Manchester SPT.

If I dont qualify I will make sure to be there.

I did enter a Mayhem freeroll but bombed out on my first flip.

Watched a film last night, it was about one of the longest reigning managers of Leeds in modern times, Brian Clough.

Apparently Derby were quite good in the 70s, who knew?

Struggling with the book, read more but not feeling it at all,

The Lune valley is pretty, I think I want to move to Hornby (no model trains there) but a very picturesque village with 3 pubs and a butchers shop.

• SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    edited May 2017

I really liked The Damned United, if that's what you're talking about, but read it years ago and can't remember too much about it. Dark and lots of swearing, right? I should go into book reviewing. 

Yep, bricked a bunch of those Mayhem things myself. Think I won one head and lost something like 15/15 flips on my successive attempts. Good times. 

Going to try and qualify for the SPT as well. See you there. I can give you some more book reviews if you like. 
    edited May 2017
    The film was The Damned United yes, really enjoyed it.

The book is different though, the one I started the other week and I am struggling with tbh. I picked it as I wanted something light and funny. I think I have got one out of 2 of those and not the one I would prefer. Dont think I will ever buy a book based on Amazon reviews ever again.

I try not to tell people what book I am reading until I have finished as I don't want spoilers and I like to make my own mind about its merits.

I'll provide a review when finished (if I remember by the time I finish it).

I used to swap books with an avid reader at work. We made a pact not to say anything until the book was finished. One book I passed on was an absolute belter of a thriller, a real page turner, until about the last 10 pages that is because it was without doubt the most contrived, rushed and disappointing end to a book I have ever encountered. Now if I had told him that before I gave it him he wouldn't have enjoyed the first 98% of the book would he.

Still the author has done ok, won awards, that book was made into a Hollywood film - I don't think I will watch it.

See you in Manchester. If I offer to lend you a real page turner of a thriller, pass.

edited August 2017
    If derby really are as bad as Jac says, what the foook does that make us?

Can't remember the last time we beat them.

Anyhow I didn't resuurect this thread to moan about football results.

1. SPT.

So sorry I didn't make Manchester SPT, I told a lot of people I would be going (if you count 1 person and the 2 or so readers of this thread as a lot). Real life just got in the way. I will say that I definitely will not be able to get to Brighton in the hope that I can.

2. Health update.

Improving, with therapy and tablets. Some things are still a struggle but while it can be up and down, overall the trend is positive and I have a contract coming up that will keep the wolf from the door money wise so that is at least one big stress point dealt with.

3. Poker update.

I played today. Opted in to the Premiership promo. Don't think 9 poker points will get me on the leader board though. Thought I would try and run up some points on the spin up tables, ended up getting lucky in the first 3 all-ins and booked the win.

Later on saw the 8.30 PLO8 BH MTT was about to start so regged it. Was steady at first then got going with a 3 way allin taking 2 heads. Got to the FT and then sat back as Marky mopped up the rest of the table, including me, but at least I was the last one to bite the dust.
  • markycashmarkycash Member Posts: 2,837
    edited August 2017
    Glad the health is improving Phantom and hope you make it to Brighton.

Was nice to share a table with you last night!
    edited August 2017
    Likewise Marky, although play wise I found it much better when I had the seat to your left as opposed to the FT when I was to your right. 

All relative though, felt I was only being outplayed most of the time instead of all of the time when I had position.

Bump.

Just found this thread on my phone as you can look at the threads you started which for some reason doesn't seem to be an option on pc. Or if it is I can't find it.

More to come later....

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    Really good to see you back posting Phantom
    If the 1st 13 pages are TL;DR I don't blame you.

In Summary.

I like poker.

I tried to win a holiday by saving up tournament tokens.

I didn't get there but did get a nice £500 score with a main entry.

Summer 2016 something crappy happened
    Christmas 2016 something crappy happened

I suffered from depression. I got help.

I stopped playing poker but have been in touch in and around the forum.

I am in a better place, even managed to get Mrs P on a fantastic holiday to Barbados for our silver wedding anniversary last year.
    Thanks @Jac35

So why back now?

In a word (or 2) Mini-UKOPS. I will be there. See you at the tables.

Funny how run-good and run-bad can be intertwined.

Last week my car passed its MoT (yay) but I was given an advisory "red warning" as 2 front tyres were on the limit.

Then I got a puncture, which is always a pain, the run-good was that it was in 1 of the 2 tyres that needed replacing.

I can challenge Jac on teeth run-bad.

In the summer I broke a tooth on a piece of crusty bread while on holiday, it literally broke in 2 down the middle. The run-good was that it was a knackered tooth and had already had root canal treatment so I was not in pain.

Finally got to the Dentist this week. My mouth is not in good shape. Apart from the obvious problem, apparently my dental hygiene is not up to scratch. I have signs of gum infection and so I am on the Corsydyl mouthwash which tastes grim and makes everything taste grim. I need to actually use my Oral-B electric toothbrush and I should floss as well.

Not this...

but this...

I also need a crown, not one of these

One of these...

There is no run good with that.

The lesser run bad is that I can get a crown as an NHS treatment so it will "only" cost me £256

But because of where it is and it is next to a gap, it might not hold and I might need a bridge (I won't bother with the pics this time).

That can't be done on NHS apparently and will cost at least £2k.

It seems my last holiday cost me a tooth and now my tooth could cost me my next holiday.

I have 3 months due to my next visit, so this update is also the start of a bankroll challenge to get at least £256.

Starting balance £52.76.

Mini-UKOPs is probably not the most +EV place to start and it doesn't smack of great bankroll management either. But I am missing Poker and I am away from home next week and Mini-UKOPs is a fantastic series. I won't be entering any £11 entries but hope to play the rest from Mon-Thu. I definitely cant make Fri-Sat but may sneak an appearance in on Sunday.

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,814

Great story @Phantom66 and I shall watch your Mini UKOPs results with great interest.

VBOL.
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,272
    Nice to see you back and getting your teeth into poker again. Good luck with the challenge and I look forward to assisting you in getting there.
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    Really good to you back posting Phantom.
    Please stop

My teeth have been good all year. I had a near enough full tooth filling done in January. The dentist said at the time that it may not hold but it was that or more root canal and a crown which would be super expensive or an extraction which i really didn’t want.

January filing has been great.
    Until about an hour after i read your thread. Was eating a mint and it dropped straight out. I’ve managed to get an emergency appointment for tomorrow

Fml
  • HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    Great to see this wee thread back Phantom, hope you run fantastically in mini UKOPs.....
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    As above, so pleased you are back posting Mark, best of luck in mini Ukops.
    So it is now upon us, Mini_UKOPs.

And on to the first part of my bankroll challenge, Phantom needs a new Crown, aka A Bridge to Far.

Phase I of the challenge is based on entering Mini_UKOPs, well at least all the mini-UKOPs from Mon-Thu that are not £11 rebuys,

Aka The Phantom of the mini ukOPs ERA.

I arrived in my hotel fairly late last night so checked the wifi was working and played a 55p turbo DYM. Won it.

So onto today...

UKOPs1 slightly late reg, very early exit. Terrible call having hit a bluff-catcher on the river to face a massive overbet shove and overthink myself into a call. Maybe with notes in the right tourney that could have been a call but not in a £2 b/h readless.

UKOPs2 much better start AAvJJvQQ aipf held up. Shortly after tried to get in a multiway pot with K6s v a commited short stack but ended up folding after a raise behind and an all-in. Correct fold but in this case a gamble would have been rewarded with a FH to pick up 2 bounties and be massive chip leader. I was still 2nd in chips at the break.

Dwindled down to 2x starting (20bigs) by the 2nd break. Couple of unnecessary calls accounted for about 1k chips but the rest down to lack of cards and an aversion to hitting the board.

In fact dont think I connected with a board all night, only big pot was the AA hand when noone connected.

Gii with AQ unfortunately up against AK gg me.

UKOPs4 Nothing really exciting, never much above starting and when blinds were up to 300 then 400 had to get busy. Took a few uncontested blinds to keep nose above the water then aipf with AT over a limp. Happy to get called when I see it is by Q6, not so happy when they make 2 pair gg me.

Starting balance £51.31
    End of Day 1 balance £42.19

0 cashes
    1 bounty

Not the greatest of starts.

Back again tomorrow - Turbo night - GL All

• HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    Gl tonight Phantom
    Cheers Hendo You too.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,814

Hope you run better tonight mate.