You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Token of Appreciation. Pledge of Positivity. Thanks to all who have signed the petition!

Comments

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    Made it to 100 points so I now have a £2.30 token. Will aim to save them up again and take a shot at something next year.

B/R £99.13

Found a rare spot when I was +EV in a couple of DYMs with Timmyrara already regged. I thought it was odd that there was early morning liquidity in PLO8 £3 and £5 dyms, but then I realised there was a rake race on. Given he was obviously heavily multi-tabling mostly NL, I guessed his play at PLO8 may be less than optimum, it was.

I doubt Timmy will be too bothered about those 2 losses as he won himself a rather nice telly that day, WP.

• Options
    Hello to the few that may remember me and anyone else brave enough to open a "diary thread".

Of all the things I was hoping to see on a return to the forum, an @SR23 diary thread must be in the top 5 along with (in no particular order @Jac35 not being on a flounce,@Tikay10 still being a living legend, @Tomgoodun posting and in good health (although I hope MrsGoodun is recovered?) and the end of the Brexit thread.

4/5 ain't bad, I suppose expecting the end of the Brexit thread was a triumph of hope over expectation

I have been through several bad times in my life but 2019 was far and away the worst, having lost my elder son in an air crash in March.

I had previously written on here of how proud I was of him, dedicating his life to helping the most vulnerable people in the world and it was that calling that led him to be a passenger on flight ET302 from Addis Ababa heading for Nairobi. He was going to help deliver a training programme for people who need to negotiate humanitarian access to areas of the world controlled by armed groups. Along with his colleague a total of 159 people were lost on the flight as it crashed 6 minutes after takeoff. The plane was a new Boeing 737 Max which we now know had severe design faults associated in particular with the MCAS system.

For anyone on Twitter who may be interested I tweet about all things Boeing and the 737 Max from my account @ flightet302sam.

The grief of losing my son floored me and my wife and other son, we had to wait until November to be able to have a funeral. I have had counselling and I am on a maximum dose of anti depressants. I am definitely not over this, I doubt I will ever will be, but I am given a strength of purpose for the following.

1. Honouring Sam's memory and raising money and doing work and encouraging others to help vulnerable people in any way they can.
    2. Seeking justice for Sam and the 345 other people who were lost in 2 737 Max crashes.
    3. Supporting my family and the incredible network of friends that Sam had generated and who all miss him too.

On a good day I make positive steps in one or all of those aims, on a bad day I can still curl up in bed and not want to do anything.

One of my more sensible actions was to stay away from all forms of gambling for over a year. I just didn't trust myself not to full on tilt. I have had a little dabble recently and from a deposit of £40 I am a little over £100. I may try to reach 100pts and a token this week (if that is still a thing - haven't checked).

UKOPs is a bit rich for me but may see some of you at the tables.

I will write some more about Sam in a future post.

If anyone has gone or is going through something similar to me, feel free to reach out, I am no expert on how to get through it but I will listen and can truly empathise.

GL All.

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    Lovely to see that you are able to post again.

I could say all sorts of sensible guff about your situation. I'm sure all of it would be logical. But having been lucky enough never to actually experience such a thing, I know fine well that I have no idea how (or indeed if) I would cope.

Take care. And be sure to be equally proud of both your sons.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,273
    That's horrible to read, I remember reading on here how proud of your son you were and what great work he was doing. To lose him and in such an awful situation is horrific. I lost my best friend last year and know how much that hurt, to lose your son must be infinitely worse.

Perhaps we will share a few PLO8 tables again in the future and if it gives you a break from the pain then that will be a good thing.

Welcome back and good luck at the tables.
  • Options
    pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    Hi Phantom, so sorry to hear such horrendous news m8 but good to see that you are in a positive enough frame of mind to get back to something like normality (if being back on the forum can be described as normality).
    I lost my wife on New Year’s Day after nursing her through an 18 month battle with MND so knew it was inevitable but, god, it still hurt m8, so to lose a child completely out of the blue is unimaginable and my thoughts go out to you and your family.
    Looking forward to bumping into you on the tables.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,724
    Hi Mark
    Phil and Paul have pretty much nailed it, I can’t begin to imagine how you cope in such tragic circumstances , it was so lovely to see you post often about how proud of your son you were.

As far as me posting, I try to add a little light humour into others threads at times, I may resurrect my diary in the future, although on looking back it seemed I was entering a ‘ woe is me’ phase more often than I would like.

Thank you for the kind words re My good lady, it was scary at the time when I wasn’t allowed to visit, but thankfully she is getting better daily and is able to work from home ( her heart failure prof rang her to say she mustn’t leave the house for 12 weeks.)

Hope we can clash on the virtual felt soon, and wish you well, you truly are one of the most decent, honest and kind individuals it’s been my pleasure to virtually chat to. Take care.
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Shocked and saddened at your loss. Really hope you and the many many others are able to find justice. I always find it inspiring how such parents are able to find the strength to help others in the name of their loss, it cannot be easy just to function let alone to face it out to benefit others. And then there’s a game of cards.

Good luck mate.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,345
    Thanks for popping back and updating us , Ive been wondering how you were coping.

Take care and stay safe.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    I lost mum and dad in less than 5 months last year but sad as it still is, long lives and tbf, it was the natural order of things.

To lose a child...I dunno how you have managed to find the strength to come back on here and type/share so fair play to you for your courage to carry on

Best wishes in your quest to honour and get justice for Sam and keep your family unit safe; glad to see you back on and hopefully I can lose some chips to you soon (everybody else has them from me so why not you..)

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    Hi Mark
    It’s really good to see you back on the forum

Take care
  • Options
    SR23SR23 Member Posts: 1,228
    Truly sorry to hear your harrowing news. When you get the time, I'd be really interested in hearing more about this:
    1. Honouring Sam's memory and raising money and doing work and encouraging others to help vulnerable people in any way they can.
    I've been in bed with Corona symptoms since last Weds and a bit miserable so your kind words wrt my diary cheered me up a treat, thank you.
    All the best dude.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129

That's so awful Mark, I'm so sorry.

I don't have the words to express my thoughts.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Lovely to see that you are able to post again.

I could say all sorts of sensible guff about your situation. I'm sure all of it would be logical. But having been lucky enough never to actually experience such a thing, I know fine well that I have no idea how (or indeed if) I would cope.

Take care. And be sure to be equally proud of both your sons.

Thanks Phil. One thing I haven't lost is the ability to be a proud Dad. More on that in a bit.
  • Options
    Enut said:

That's horrible to read, I remember reading on here how proud of your son you were and what great work he was doing. To lose him and in such an awful situation is horrific. I lost my best friend last year and know how much that hurt, to lose your son must be infinitely worse.

Perhaps we will share a few PLO8 tables again in the future and if it gives you a break from the pain then that will be a good thing.

Welcome back and good luck at the tables.

Thanks Enut.

I was given a book on grief.

Factors most likely to add to grief:

Losing a child
    Losing someone in a sudden tragic event
    Losing someone when they are overseas

Guess I scooped the lot.

However grief is a very individual thing and we are all affected in different ways and at different times.

Talking of scooping, I hope to do that soon at a PL08 table. Poker wise definitely only in it for the casual game and a bit of a release/switch off. So no challenges or targets.

I wanted to get my situation out in the open before rejoining any of my regular games.
  • Options

Hi Phantom, so sorry to hear such horrendous news m8 but good to see that you are in a positive enough frame of mind to get back to something like normality (if being back on the forum can be described as normality).
    I lost my wife on New Year’s Day after nursing her through an 18 month battle with MND so knew it was inevitable but, god, it still hurt m8, so to lose a child completely out of the blue is unimaginable and my thoughts go out to you and your family.
    Looking forward to bumping into you on the tables.

Thanks Pom.

So sorry to hear about your wife, MND is such a horrible disease.

Take care and hopefully see you at the tables.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

Hi Mark
    Phil and Paul have pretty much nailed it, I can’t begin to imagine how you cope in such tragic circumstances , it was so lovely to see you post often about how proud of your son you were.

As far as me posting, I try to add a little light humour into others threads at times, I may resurrect my diary in the future, although on looking back it seemed I was entering a ‘ woe is me’ phase more often than I would like.

Thank you for the kind words re My good lady, it was scary at the time when I wasn’t allowed to visit, but thankfully she is getting better daily and is able to work from home ( her heart failure prof rang her to say she mustn’t leave the house for 12 weeks.)

Hope we can clash on the virtual felt soon, and wish you well, you truly are one of the most decent, honest and kind individuals it’s been my pleasure to virtually chat to. Take care.

Thanks Tom and so relieved to hear the positive news of your good lady, I hope your daughter is also well in these most strange circumstances.

Your last para has me humbled, especially coming from you.

Take care yourself, Are you still crushing the Thursday PLO8 MTTs, are they still running?
  • Options
    bbMike said:

Shocked and saddened at your loss. Really hope you and the many many others are able to find justice. I always find it inspiring how such parents are able to find the strength to help others in the name of their loss, it cannot be easy just to function let alone to face it out to benefit others. And then there’s a game of cards.

Good luck mate.

Thanks Mike.

As for strength, I guess finding something to be positive about is an important coping mechanism and justice for Sam is one driver. The other is continuing the work that he can no longer do and keeping his memory alive.
  • Options
    mumsie said:

Thanks for popping back and updating us , Ive been wondering how you were coping.

Take care and stay safe.

Thanks mumsie, I thought I would get in before I got a mention in the "where are they now" thread.

Same to you on the care and safety.

• Options
    Jac35 said:

Hi Mark
    It’s really good to see you back on the forum

Take care

Thanks and you too.

As hard as it must be for you, that 12 weeks will be over soon. Best wishes to Penny Harry and Melissa.
  • Options
    madprof said:

I lost mum and dad in less than 5 months last year but sad as it still is, long lives and tbf, it was the natural order of things.

To lose a child...I dunno how you have managed to find the strength to come back on here and type/share so fair play to you for your courage to carry on

Best wishes in your quest to honour and get justice for Sam and keep your family unit safe; glad to see you back on and hopefully I can lose some chips to you soon (everybody else has them from me so why not you..)

Thanks prof.

I still have both of my parents, now 77 and 80, and 260 miles away. Hit them hard losing Sam as well. Mrs P lost both of hers which was tough in its own right. One suddenly and unexpectedly and the other through MS.