You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Token of Appreciation. Pledge of Positivity. Thanks to all who have signed the petition!

Comments

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited July 2016
    Hopefully I will still be as sharp as tikay when I reach his age. (Sharp as in memory recall not dress sense obviosuly)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,471
    edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Token of Appreciation:
    This is really good phantom. I loved PNL I'd get in from Gala at something like 2am with work at 6am. I'd always turn on the tv and watch it rather than go straight to bed as I should have. Don't really know how I kept my eyes open at work. As a single man at the time it wasn't too bad, I'd sleep all afternoon. For some reason something James Browning used to say a lot still sticks in my mind. Most times in live poker there wouldn't be a pre flop raise and just a fair few calling to see flops :) He used to say "KQ rules in the land of the unraised pot" I found Caspar a really interesting character. Also liked Tom a lot. I thought Lindsey seemed very nice but I didn't quite have the same feelings for her that I did for Kara and Michelle. Tikay came along a little bit later on and was good too. It did take me a little while to warm to him because I'd got comfortable with the other presenters.  I was at the bar one night at Gala chatting to Maria when he came up to us. I was in awe. Mostly at this chaps confidence. He was entirely comfortable wearing a maroon jacket and bright blue trousers at Gala. Being Tikay, he was very nice. He bought me a drink and then enquired if it was possible to borrow Maria for a few minutes. Seemed a fair deal.
    Posted by Jac35

What?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Hopefully I will still be as sharp as tikay when I reach his age. (Sharp as in memory recall not dress sense obviosuly)
    Posted by Phantom66
    Eh?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Back to the challenge...

As of today my balance is £31.01.
    I have £6.90 worth of tokens and up until 23/10 before the first will expire.
    I have 31 points.

So first target is another 69 points this week without taking a dent in the B/R.

I do have some bets in play for the US PGA - They will be my last sports bets for a while any returns will be added to the balance update on Monday.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Didn't play poker last night, went to watch the Jason Bourne film.

There is a poker link there as there is a lot of action in Vegas, including a major car chase on the strip and scenes inside the Aria.

Enjoyed it. Not as much as the first film though.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    PNL recollections refuelled the debate about the quality of the presenter/analysts.

There was much debate at the time about the poker knowledge exhibited by them on the show. Even had a mini debate offline.

The forum used to be alight with numerous pseudo-anonymous trolls slagging them off.

Tikay and Mr Browning used to get alot of stick irrc and totally unfairly. You can see from my earlier posts that there were only 2 presenters I never really clicked with.

So I thought I would do some research.

Method - Search for live earnings on the Hendon Mob Database.
    Rank them by total earnings

I accept that some of the most successful poker players in the world have little or no live cashes on that database, cash players and online players, and there may be errors in the figures. But this is just a bit of fun.

Before I reveal my results have a guess where would you rank this list?

Top two?
    Bottom two?

Caspar Berry
    Greg Winters
    James Browning
    Kara Scott
    Malcolm Harwood
    Mark Banin
    Matt Broughton
    Michelle Orpe
    Nick Wealthall
    Tom Sambrook
    Tony  Kendall
    No prizes because it is easy to cheat - just have a think and post here if you want to I will reveal all later.

I will not be publishing cash amounts here, but a score based on multiples of the lowest earner on the table.

So for example if we did a modern day sky poker tv version, Neil Channing would rate as 3631 x Richard Orford.

EDIT: SPOLIER ALERT - RESULTS ARE UP. HAVE A THINK BEFORE YOU SCROLL DOWN
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited July 2016
    Top would be Kara Scott (was it the Irish open she cashed big?) and Tony Kendall
    Bottom 2 I'll guess at Michelle Orpe and Tom Sambrook

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Spot on and in the right order wih top 2.

Blank on the bottom 2.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Dr Tom actually had the 2nd biggest individual cash behind Kara and comes in 5th for career earnings
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited July 2016
    In Response to Re: Token of Appreciation : What?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Very nice clobber.If you want to stand out in a crowd, go for it........................shades on.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    In fact bottom of the pile was Matt Broughton

So the results of the rest of the presnters will be announced with their Matt rating.

Kara has a rating of 1112 Matts and Tikay 620 Matts

2nd bottom - even counting both entries under the spellings of Caspar and Casper is my other fav presenter Mr Berry.

He has a rating of 4 Matts. 

Of course live poker earnings isn't the only measure of ability and being a presenter is also about other things, on screen presence, multi-tasking, and on this show being able to be educational and pitch your advice at the right level.

The butt of many a comment about their inability to play poker was the lovely Michelle. A kind of Richard Orford but nice to look at. A big part of the dynamic was the more experienced anlayst helping the newbie with their game. 

So it was nice to see that Michelle was not last and in fact came in 9th with 17 Matts.

Of course Kara was in the beginner seat to start off with. Clearly learned very well. Indeed it was in the Irish Open she had her biggest cash with 2nd prize. Not her only big cash though, in fact also cashed in back to back WSOP Main Events.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Full table is here...

Matts
    1 Kara Scott            1,112
    2 Tony  Kendall                620
    3 Mark Banin                571
    4 James Browning                545
    5 Tom Sambrook                496
    6 Malcolm Harwood                212
    7 Nick Wealthall                  55
    8 Greg Winters                  44
    9 Michelle Orpe                  17
    10 Caspar Berry                    4
    11 Matt Broughton                    1
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I see now why Tikay is proud of Kara's achievements, both on screen and on the felt.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    1st Poker related update.

Only played a quick half hour.

Made £4.44 on spinups but more importantly it was Quadruple points so that got me up to 95 points and another £2.30 token virtually in the bag.

Looks like Punta Cana satellites are up too. WOOP.

Golf bets not going as well as my open ones (but that would be nigh on impossible). Still have plenty in contention but then so are a few strong names I didn't pick.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Not much poker played this week.

B/R up to £46.31.

Should be higher in the morning when the golf finishes, look set for a couple of places in E/W bets and I will have another £2.30 token.

I will also be hitting the Rewards FR this week when I can as a first step towards a Punta Cana trip.

Had a bit of a mare on a spin up today, was doing ok until lost a flip TT to AK then tried to keep playing after a PLO8 table opened and the mistakes started happening. Induced a bluff (I think) with AT on a AT44 board then timed out before I could call and a few hands later misclick callled an all-in with 83o. I was surprised to be dominated by a 85o but at least managed to split the pot.

Maybe I should have stayed on to play on my image, but felt the safest thing was to stand and concentrate on the PLO8 game. Pleasant game with a good bunch of folk.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    So one of my bets came in (Matsuyama e/w @66/1). Stenson faded to a tie for 7th which still paid out, 67p due to the tie rule.

B/R now £75.30 which gives me a bit more room to manouevre.

Will also be up to £9.20 worth of tokens and get a £5 free bet.

it will be a good week to get a top 3 spot in a Rewards FR.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Burned a chunk of Bankroll on Spinups. I have been doing rather well playing selectively at 20nl tables. For some reason decided to try an do the same at 50nl and 100nl. Unfortunaltely opponents were not making as many mistakes as at 20nl and the poker gods were against me too. Got it in bad when shouldnt at times, and suffered a couple of big coolers.

Not clever, but on the bright side I can't be accused of just writing egotistical brag posts can I?

Might even be funny to some people, just not as much fun as the old days.

Could be useful that I have found where the 55p 6 max tables are. Unoftunately if I have lost them since the lobby tab change, others may have too.

A run of those on double points weekend will see me claim another token.

2 Rewards FR in and no Punta Cana semi yet. These are on a bit early for me so usually on phone doing other stuff. As I am really after a top 3 seat not free cash, I am playing a bit looser than usual. Hasn't worked yet but only needs to work once I suppose.

Getting a bit concerned about the saving tokens though. I have £9.20, soon to be £11.50. Really need to have it confirmed what happens if I tick the yes box on an entry that is below my total tokenage or above my total tokenage. I dont want any nasty surprises.

I might have cyber stalked someone last night thinking they had messaged me. Although a friend on fb, this person had never msg me before. I thought it odd that clicking on the messenger notification didnt work. I was at work so waited until home to check message history properly and then contacted said person. No never messaged you came the reply, oops #AWKWARD. Penny then dropped that the msg notification was actually on a screenshot picture I had been viewing. #FAIL
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    edited August 2016
    Burned a chunk of Bankroll on Spinups. I have been doing rather well playing selectively at 20nl tables. For some reason decided to try an do the same at 50nl and 100nl. Unfortunaltely opponents were not making as many mistakes as at 20nl and the poker gods were against me too. Got it in bad when shouldnt at times, and suffered a couple of big coolers. Not clever, but on the bright side I can't be accused of just writing egotistical brag posts can I? Might even be funny to some people, just not as much fun as the old days. Could be useful that I have found where the 55p 6 max tables are. Unoftunately if I have lost them since the lobby tab change, others may have too. A run of those on double points weekend will see me claim another token. 2 Rewards FR in and no Punta Cana semi yet. These are on a bit early for me so usually on phone doing other stuff. As I am really after a top 3 seat not free cash, I am playing a bit looser than usual. Hasn't worked yet but only needs to work once I suppose. Getting a bit concerned about the saving tokens though. I have £9.20, soon to be £11.50. Really need to have it confirmed what happens if I tick the yes box on an entry that is below my total tokenage or above my total tokenage. I dont want any nasty surprises. I might have cyber stalked someone last night thinking they had messaged me. Although a friend on fb, this person had never msg me before. I thought it odd that clicking on the messenger notification didnt work. I was at work so waited until home to check message history properly and then contacted said person. No never messaged you came the reply, oops #AWKWARD. Penny then dropped that the msg notification was actually on a screenshot picture I had been viewing. #FAIL
    Posted by Phantom66
    It's this kind of sarcasm that makes the forum less fun. Just no need. Never catch me doing it 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    First hand history of the thread....

PLO8 last night.

Tikay pot opens UTG 6 handed and fairly early doors, we know he has a strong hand. I come along from the SB with a pretty double suited hand full of wheel cards but crucially no 2. BB comes along and they will be priced in with pretty much anything.

I flop the "monster" bottom pair 2nd nut low and a double gutshot straight draw. I pot. Tikay puts me all in. I call. We show. I'm crushed but a 2 hits. SCOOPIO!

I thought I had murdered this hand. But apparently not, Tikay types WP so there you have it. Played it like a boss. Watch and learn.

Player

ActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Phantom66 Small blind   50.00 50.00 3475.00
    roryford14 Big blind   100.00 150.00 1657.50
      Your hole cards
    • A

tikay1 Raise   350.00 500.00 1557.50
    adzbo Fold        
    eon1961 Fold        
    bbMike Fold        
    Phantom66 Call   300.00 800.00 3175.00
    roryford14 Call   250.00 1050.00 1407.50
    Flop

Phantom66 Bet   1050.00 2100.00 2125.00
    roryford14 Fold        
    tikay1 All-in   1557.50 3657.50 0.00
    Phantom66 Call   507.50 4165.00 1617.50
    Phantom66 Show
    • A

tikay1 Show
    • A
    • J

Turn

River

• K

Phantom66 Win high Straight to the 6 2082.50   3700.00
    Phantom66 Win low 6-low 2082.50   5782.50
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    ^^^

Ha, what a hand that was.

I genuinely could barely have flopped better - nut low already made, nut flush draw, backdoor spade flush draw, two pair or trips draw (I hit the 8), the full works.

FWIW (not much.....) when I have a hand that hits the flop that hard, I try to build the pot in anticipation of hitting my other draw (the high), so if anyone has A-2 with me, or a straight draw or whatever, they get three-quartered or scooped. It's a key component in O8.

On the downside, you mention that pesky 2. In the $1,500 WSOP PLO8 in Vegas, when I was going along very nicely, my exit was exactly that - I was 3 way for a giant pot, I had the A-2 & a lovely high, two others had A-3.

I was on the scoopio after the turn, but a pesky 2 rivered to kill my nut low & give BOTH of them the wheel. And that was me, busto. 

What a game, eh?