You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

My story

tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,743
edited September 2017 in Poker Chat
Hi all, I want to post this just to get it off my chest really as I am going through a bit of a hard time at the moment. I went to the docs recently with pains in my leg and hip, being not my usual doc she wanted to explore all avenues and took blood and urine samples. When I was called in to discuss the results I got a bit worried and my wife came with me. The doc said in her opinion it was a high possibility I had prostate cancer. ,she then referred me to hospital for further tests, a bone scan, biopsy,,etc. I went on Thursday to discuss the results and the tests showed I have it.,an operation to remove the prostate is out of the question as it is outside the shell of the prostate, My wife is being fantastic and very positive which is a huge help.I start on hormone therapy today and radiotherapy in the new year,I have an urgent m.r.i. scan in the next couple of weeks to see if it is in my lymph nodes, fingers crossed for then.

I play poker for fun and it has helped distract me from this, just recently I have had some good results which is a bonus , I have also ..ahem.. played in the wsop main event for free which not a lot of folk can say that, so in essence poker has been good to me in many ways, I have recently been playing PL08 which that wonderful ambassador for the game Sir Tikay of Concretia has been banging the drum about and its a splendid game which I enjoy.

I read a lot of posts and chat to folk who want to and in the main the people on this site are a nice friendly bunch of chaps and chappesses, long may that continue, my message is let the small things go as before you know it the big ones come along and bite you in the bum.

Finally, thanks for the messages of support from those who know me and who have commented on my potential tests .good luck to all of you in poker and life.

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,077
    edited January 2017
    All the best Tom
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: My story:
    All the best Tom
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks
  • Options
    FlyingDaggFlyingDagg Member Posts: 4,146
    edited January 2017
    Tom I'm sorry the news wasn't as good as it could be but please stay positive  and I'm sure your family will be there for you.
    Wishing you a speedy recovery from all in TPT.
  • Options
    SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2017
    Sad news to hear, Tom - but better you that know about it, and something can be done. People walk away from these battles all the time. You'll be back on the virtual baize in no time.
  • Options
    REDARROW61REDARROW61 Member Posts: 443
    edited January 2017
    Thinking of you Tom in these difficult times. Get well soon.
  • Options
    Matt237Matt237 Member Posts: 1,785
    edited January 2017
    All the best Tom, Hope to see you well and crushing the lower stakes soon.
  • Options
    Moon_RiverMoon_River Member Posts: 176
    edited January 2017
    Wishing you well - stay positive.
  • Options
    IrishRoseIrishRose Member Posts: 1,663
    edited January 2017
    All the best Tom - hope the treatment goes well for you xx
  • Options
    mrsduckmrsduck Member Posts: 1,901
    edited January 2017
    Hope everything goes well, gl in every aspect xx
  • Options
    bignoise10bignoise10 Member Posts: 567
    edited January 2017
    Keep the positive attitude m8.you have a sound supportive core by the looks of it and this will be beaten.
    Be good 
    Paul
  • Options
    MRBURNS4MRBURNS4 Member Posts: 1,152
    edited January 2017
    Wishing you all the best and hope to hear good news very soon from you
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Thank you all so much for your kind words it means a lot to me, I shall update with any news when I get it. My lovely wife and I have a cruise to the caribbean booked starting 14th September , I have been putting off making a decision on whether to go or not,I suppose that sounds rather daft and some folk would say you lucky so and so having a choice and I guess you would be right,I grew up not having had a holiday apart from the yearly club trip to Blackpool with the working men's club on our estate which was fabulous as a teenager, I took my kids there when they were about 10 and 7 , boy has it changed lol,either that or I had rose tinted specs when I went.i didn't have a car or a passport until I came down to eastbourne from my home town of Leigh lancs,my wife has been the making of me and pretty much made me into the man I am,I have had the same job for over 20 years ,yet again a huge change from when I was oop north working in the mines.i am now manager of a joinery works and my boss is being very good saying I need to look after myself and take whatever time off I need and when I don't feel up to it let them know and either come in late,go early or not come in at all,he knows that I will not take the mickey as I take my responsibility at work very seriously sometimes going in on bank holidays and weekends when I think it's needed,my philosophy is you have got to put in the pot to take out.i guess I am rambling now but I just wanted for anyone who takes the time to read this would get a sense of who I am,take care all,good luck and bye for now,thanks again it's very humbling to read that you folk take the time to send your best wishes.
  • Options
    jjjachjjjach Member Posts: 3,393
    edited January 2017
    All the best Tom.See you in the deepies mate.Martin.
  • Options
    SolarCarroSolarCarro Member Posts: 2,273
    edited January 2017
    Run Good with the tests

Best Wishes and hugs xx

Dave and Sian
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    edited January 2017
    Hey Tom

All the best with the treatment.

It's always a pleasure seeing you at the tables / having a chat.

Will join you in the 7:15/ or 7:45 deepstacks at some point this week if you are playing:)
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: My story:
    Thank you all so much for your kind words it means a lot to me, I shall update with any news when I get it. My lovely wife and I have a cruise to the caribbean booked starting 14th September , I have been putting off making a decision on whether to go or not,I suppose that sounds rather daft and some folk would say you lucky so and so having a choice and I guess you would be right,I grew up not having had a holiday apart from the yearly club trip to Blackpool with the working men's club on our estate which was fabulous as a teenager, I took my kids there when they were about 10 and 7 , boy has it changed lol,either that or I had rose tinted specs when I went.i didn't have a car or a passport until I came down to eastbourne from my home town of Leigh lancs,my wife has been the making of me and pretty much made me into the man I am,I have had the same job for over 20 years ,yet again a huge change from when I was oop north working in the mines.i am now manager of a joinery works and my boss is being very good saying I need to look after myself and take whatever time off I need and when I don't feel up to it let them know and either come in late,go early or not come in at all,he knows that I will not take the mickey as I take my responsibility at work very seriously sometimes going in on bank holidays and weekends when I think it's needed,my philosophy is you have got to put in the pot to take out.i guess I am rambling now but I just wanted for anyone who takes the time to read this would get a sense of who I am,take care all,good luck and bye for now,thanks again it's very humbling to read that you folk take the time to send your best wishes.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    such a great post tom i wish you all the best and get well soon luv paige xxx would love to read more when you worked in the mines
  • Options
    shakinacesshakinaces Member Posts: 1,590
    edited January 2017
    All the very best wishes with your recovery Tom, hope you are back and fighting fit asap.
  • Options
    truly56truly56 Member Posts: 59
    edited January 2017
     Hi Tom , Good luck with the treatment Tom. Stay strong. The best of luck, I will check in to see how your doing tom. 
                                                From truly56
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,536
    edited January 2017
    Very brave coming on to post.... makes the world an easier place when people are open with things.

Best of luck sir.... it will be a battle but one you can most certainly win.

Regards

Itsover4u (Danny)
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Paige my good lady( hope I have the gender correct;) I shall try my best to write what I recall of bein down t' pit. I will probably revert back to my northern roots in the spelling :) 

It was in the 70's and I was in my teens when I applied to go down t' pit ,I got chosen along with about 20 others to do the training. It was a 10 week training course at old Boston training centre which is near St Helens.,I lived in Leigh which is about 10 miles away I think. A mini van picked us all up and the one thing that springs to mind is that one day one o lads wer reading a paper and someone started singing the tune to 'Bonanza' (if your too young look up the opening sequence online) the reason he was singing the tune is he'd set the lads paper alight..oh what a chuckle we had ;) health and safety hadn't been invented just yet :) . The training is a bit hazy ( I'm gettin on a bit now,the clue was the 70's ... Best time for music IMO ) I recall them showing us a film about what not to do when your down t' pit,mostly involved not riding on the conveyor belts which transport the coal throughout the tunnels and certain horror sequences showing why not ( they were not up to today's cgi standard but they got the message across when you see a **** boot with no leg attached  lol ) 
    That is part one lemme know if you want more ;)