You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

My story

Comments

• tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: My story:
    I do hope you continue with the "mining tales". I won't derail your thread, but I did CE work in Miners for years, mostly in South Yorkshire, & in most cases in "deep mines".   Whilst the seams were being developed, we had to descend & ascend in a sort of giant metal bucket, (a kibble/kebble/kettle or somesuch?) big enough to hold 2 or 3 men standing, & this bucket was attached to a rope & a mechanical winch. Used to scare the life out of me..... I bid for the Contract which was worth about £80,000 as I recall, we lost about £200,000!  The problem I had not anticipated was the effect of the weather. When the barometric pressure was high (as in good weather) it was fine, but when it was low (as in, usually bad weather) we could not work down those deep-mines, as the methane gas seeped out. Apparently, high barometric pressure stops methane escaping, but low pressure means we had to evacuate, as it was unsafe to work. I worked in two limestone mines in Derbyshire, too. It was actually a "mine" inside a mountain. Most incredible place I've ever visited. It had 25 miles of internal underground roads, all of them big enough for two "tonker trucks" to pass going in opposite directions.     http://www.hoptonwoodstone.co.uk/middleton_mine.htm Also, type "Middleton mine" into google images to get an idea of the scale of the place.   It held a constant temparature, & no daylight ever penetrated, so no organic matter of animal/insect life could survive in there. To access the mine, we had to use cars & vans with "exhaust scrubbers" fitted. Parts of the mine are now "exhausted", but incredibly, due to the peculiar atmospheric conditions, they are used to this day to store.........aircraft components, such as wings & fuselages. Don't even ask..... Thanks for jogging my memory, & sorry for the derail.   Incidentaslly, I did RC CE work in the Mine, & this (now disused) crusher was one of my jobs.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    All I can say is..fab..just fab, you are a true gent. Tc, and good luck.
    edited January 2017
    The day of the holiday is almost upon us, tomorrow morning my brother and sister in law are taking us to the airport. Burglars please note we have a stroppy teenage girl and a testosterone fuelled lad of 22 in the house, you may need to tidy up to get to the goods you need.,also if the telephone goes whilst you are there please try to answer as many "surveys" as you can before you leave,I would estimate a good burglar can answer 3 in the 6 and half minutes you should be in the house. Don't worry about feeding the Rottweilers as they can get a little bit attached to you.( especially your testicles)

edited January 2017
    I had the m.r.i scan last week, I had to have an injection beforehand to relax the muscles of the stomach and apparently relax the muscles pretty much all over, I felt rather unwell afterwards but I think that was probably psycho sematic :) the consultant will be reviewing my case on the 17 th of Sept and I shall be ringing the nurse to get any specific details I need on my return from holiday.

We are all going out for a meal tonight as it is my sons birthday tomorrow and to say Cheerio, that should be nice, I am looking forward to it.
    I will be trying my best on my return to get into the latest live event sky have announced, punt a somethingorother. I understand sats to this start whilst I am away.. Sort it out sky!

Finally a big thank you once again to all of you who take the time to read and post your good luck vibes and messages,it means an awful lot to me.

I hope to post part 3 of pit story before I leave if I get the chance, take care all and good luck.

• SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2017
    Fingers and toes crossed for you, mate.

Enjoy your family time tonight.
    edited January 2017
    Fingers and toes crossed for you, mate. Enjoy your family time tonight.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Thanks Brian..good luck on your quest to join me in the carribbean :)
    edited January 2017
    I am sat in the v room at gatwick eating my 2nd breakfast of the day#howtheotherhalflive :) it's gna be hard not having a crafty drag of my e cig before we get  to Barbados ,surely they won't mind ey...
  • FlyingDaggFlyingDagg Member Posts: 4,146
    edited January 2017
    Have a great time Tom
    edited January 2017
    I have returned safe and sound and shall be back on the virtual felt soon. We had a wonderful time on holiday and I have learned some invaluable lessons. 1 - my body is not as flexible as it once was ( stop sniggering at the back) this was proven on the first night at the hotel ( stop it) when the hotel put on a bit of a " do " one of the artists was a limbo dancer..a young lady who I think had liquid bones...of course I had to get up and join in and show her how us from oop north do it..oh by jimminy I think I may have slipped a disc,she did help me by raising the bar as in was trying to duck under it ;)

2 - Americans ...male or female,have absolutely no volume control..enough said ,

My good lady wife rang the hospital yesterday to get the result of my MRI scan,good news. Ish is that the cancer doesn't seem to be in the lymph nodes..I say doesn't seem because the cancer nurse had forgotten to enter my notes in the case review they hold  weekly,although she did show them to a consultant who agrees it doesn't look like it is there.i will get the results looked at in the next  case review.which is next week.
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    edited January 2017
    Nice to have you back Tom
    Glad to hear you had a good time.
    Best wishes for your review next week.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273
    edited January 2017

Good to have you back Tom, & fingers crossed those results come back good.
  • GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,598
    edited January 2017
    Glad you had a good time away & nice to see an update.  Hols probably done you the world of good.  
  • paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    edited January 2017
    Glad you had agoodun tom,best wishes i send you for your review next week xxxx love paige
  • dumb_blonddumb_blond Member Posts: 308
    edited January 2017
    nice to hear you  and your good lady had a great holiday tom and also that your diagnosis sounds encouraging

is there any truth in the rumour  that back in the olds days you used to limbo dance under toilet doors to avoid paying

have you got round to unpacking my presents yet.

looking forward to seeing you at the tables. 
    edited January 2017
    nice to hear you  and your good lady had a great holiday tom and also that your diagnosis sounds encouraging is there any truth in the rumour  that back in the olds days you used to limbo dance under toilet doors to avoid paying have you got round to unpacking my presents yet. looking forward to seeing you at the tables. 
    Posted by dumb_blond
    Haha shhhh keep it to yourself,,as far as the presents..well, I had two things to remember to pack for the holiday,,my hat and my e.cig charger..needless to say I forgot them both so your prezzy is still in Barbados I'm afraid :)
  • FlyingDaggFlyingDagg Member Posts: 4,146
    edited January 2017
    Glad you had such a great time and a poker bink too as a bonus. Thanks for supporting our team game at short notice your always welcome to play it and if you ever decide to join a team TPT would love to have you.
    edited January 2017
    Glad you had such a great time and a poker bink too as a bonus. Thanks for supporting our team game at short notice your always welcome to play it and if you ever decide to join a team TPT would love to have you.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Thanks Dale, I would find it hard to join a team as my mind set is not right for that, I don't think I could take a team mate out of a tourney:) Having said that I seem to have no problem taking mates chips off them so I guess that is a quandary I may come to terms with in the future.

Today is not such a good day for me on the whole, I have been having quite a lot of hot flushes especially during the night and the bed covers are pretty soaked when I get up.,during the day at work its pretty much the same and I am starting to feel a bit sorry for myself. especially this afternoon when I read through the literature the hospital gave me. I have an appointment next Friday when they will be explaining the radiotherapy treatment,that is a rather daunting prospect. I suppose there are folk in worse positions than I am and I guess I have to be thankful that things could be worse. I shall update any news when I get it. Good luck to you and see you on the tables.
    edited January 2017

Fingers crossed for you on Friday Tom.

I can't begin to imagine how this must all mess with your head.
    edited January 2017
    Today  is my good lady and I 26th wedding anniversary, she cooked me the biggest rump steak I have pretty much ever seen, wouldn't even fit on my plate Oh I am sooooo full. She even did a dessert which was my favourite on the cruise we have just returned from. I love her so much :)

I have been to the doctors to have a blood test which they will check at hospital and give me an indication on Friday as to where I am at with my condition.

Here goes. I came home last night from work to devastating news, I shall not be expanding on this as it is very personal and close to my heart. I am hurting so much inside it is too hard to put into words. I want to report the matter to the police but the person it happened to doesn't want them involved, I feel useless as a father. With all that is happening in the world as a whole I despair for the human race, sorry if this is too deep for some but frankly I do not care anymore.

I do not know if I will be posting any more. I need space.

I will be turning my chat off at the tables.

Good luck all of you genuine people, take care and be safe.x
  • MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,606
    edited January 2017

Firstly, happy anniversary to you both.

Secondly, fully understand why you feel the need to not post anymore but please know that there are genuine people on here that care, and will try to support you how they can.

Whatever you decide, take care and our thoughts are with you and your family at these tough times.
    edited January 2017

Hi Tom.

It never rains, eh?

We share your pain. We can't help, of course we cant, be we know you must be hurting real bad.

We all deal with these things in our own way. For some, saying nothing, & sort of "withdrawing" works best, & that's fine.

Sometimes, though, the old adages "it's good to talk" & " a problem shared is a problem halved" work, though of course that may not extend into really personal issues, which sort of don't sit right on a poker forum.

You have a ton of friends here, "virtual" friends, yes, but decent, caring people, who want to help. Try & remember that, please.

As if all that were not enough, tomorrow is going to be a very big day for you. I can't begin to imagine how you feel today, but maybe the sun will shine tomorrow. 

Do try & bear up, Tom, & if good vibes help, you've got 'em.

PS - 26 years? Happy Anniversary!