You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

My story

Comments

• MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,606
    edited January 2017

All the best Tom. You are a gent at the deepstack tables and I wish you well. Enjoy that cruise....but you carnt beat Blackpool for a short break. Just come back last w'end in fact from a Bank Holiday up there with the lads!................. Still recovering.

And keep them stories coming, when you have got the time.
  • paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    edited January 2017
    Yes please keep the Stories coming,kind regards paige55,And yes i am female,and i remember the 70,s Almost 60 years young me :):):)TAKE CARE Tom xx
  • HITMAN_RVHITMAN_RV Member Posts: 8,688
    edited January 2017
    Tom, Good Luck!!

Enjoy The Up-coming Cruise with MrsT, am glad you are Staying Positive!

Pls keep us Updated..

Great Stories!!
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    edited January 2017
    I have started the hormone therapy, consisting of tablets for the first 3 weeks which stop the cancer cells absorbing testosterone, today I had my first injection which stops the body producing testosterone which I shall be having every 12 weeks. I am experiencing side effects, hot flushes, really tired during the day, and mood swings (My wife sent me to bed at 8pm last night as she said I needed some alone time :) )

I have my MRI appointment next Tuesday.

Pit story Part 2

I finished my training stint without too much incident and was offered a job at Parsonage Colliery, Leigh which I gratefully accepted. On the first day I was given all the necessary clothing and p.p.e (My wife provided that acronym which apparently means personal protective equipment :) ) consisting of an orange boiler suit, steel toe capped boots, a belt which you clip the battery which had a lead to the light/lamp which attached to the pit helmet and a gas mask which was in a tin on the belt. I made my way to the cage lift which was quite an experience, the lift was on two levels, hard to describe, but if you imagine an open ended lift with one on top of the other, you get the drift. Each part of the lift held about 25 men ( 50 total, I am good at this maths malarkey :) ) When I had originally gone to the "changing room " which was a big open room with all the batteries and helmets hanging up I had a numbered token which is relevant to the persons belongings, I had to give this to the chap who lets you in the cage/lift, that is to check who is down t'pit at any time in case of any accidents. Mondays in particular were fairly brutal in the cage, bear in mind that you had between 40 and 50 sweaty blokes who had been on the booze pretty much all weekend and their diet consisted of Guinness, Bitter, Mild, and Chips n gravy. The stench was putrid even before the constant far ting and belching , welcome to the world of t'pit mon. The lift was worked by a bloke with a handle marked stop and go, with 2 speeds, fast and omfg who had been on the same diet , so your life was pretty much in his hands even before you got to the mine below.
    The drop was about a mile deep and you could tell what kind of mood the cage operator was in by the speed of the drop and the cackle of the chap with the lever.
    End of part 2. Post if you would like any more as I don't wish to bore you all :)

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273
    edited January 2017

Oh my, not seen this before, but Matt237 alerted me to it. You are always so cheerful & polite when we share Tables.

I hope you stay positive Tom, & all works out well. It must be terribly scary.

And I hope you go on that Cruise. Do you good &, I suspect, your good lady, who must be suffering (by worrying) as much as you are right now.

Fingers crossed for you on Tuesday.

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273
    edited January 2017

I do hope you continue with the "mining tales".

I won't derail your thread, but I did CE work in Miners for years, mostly in South Yorkshire, & in most cases in "deep mines".

Whilst the seams were being developed, we had to descend & ascend in a sort of giant metal bucket, (a kibble/kebble/kettle or somesuch?) big enough to hold 2 or 3 men standing, & this bucket was attached to a rope & a mechanical winch. Used to scare the life out of me.....

I bid for the Contract which was worth about £80,000 as I recall, we lost about £200,000! 

The problem I had not anticipated was the effect of the weather.

When the barometric pressure was high (as in good weather) it was fine, but when it was low (as in, usually bad weather) we could not work down those deep-mines, as the methane gas seeped out. Apparently, high barometric pressure stops methane escaping, but low pressure means we had to evacuate, as it was unsafe to work.

I worked in two limestone mines in Derbyshire, too. It was actually a "mine" inside a mountain. Most incredible place I've ever visited. It had 25 miles of internal underground roads, all of them big enough for two "tonker trucks" to pass going in opposite directions.

http://www.hoptonwoodstone.co.uk/middleton_mine.htm

Also, type "Middleton mine" into google images to get an idea of the scale of the place.

It held a constant temparature, & no daylight ever penetrated, so no organic matter of animal/insect life could survive in there. To access the mine, we had to use cars & vans with "exhaust scrubbers" fitted.

Parts of the mine are now "exhausted", but incredibly, due to the peculiar atmospheric conditions, they are used to this day to store.........aircraft components, such as wings & fuselages. Don't even ask.....

Thanks for jogging my memory, & sorry for the derail.

Incidentaslly, I did RC CE work in the Mine, & this (now disused) crusher was one of my jobs.

• pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,834
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tom
    I wish you all the very best in your fight against this horrible disease. I do think having a positive mental attitude will help.
    If you feel able I think the cruise would be a shot in the arm for you and your good lady.

Nick
  • Macacgirl1Macacgirl1 Member Posts: 865
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tom, I don't really know what I want to say precisely, or indeed if I have the ability to express it adequately, but here goes.  Firstly, and most importantly, it certainly goes without saying that I extend you my sincerest best wishes for a speedy recovery. These things are sent to try us, as the saying goes, and as you'll know, people always seem to come back stronger from a wee setback. You appear to have a glorious bond with your good lady and if at all possible, I'd guess your relationship will be even stronger after you have both been through this minor blip.
    I'm sure that I'm not alone in finding it very endearing that you chose to share your story here. A place which I'd guess you have some 'real life' friends, but mostly populated by strangers.  Strangers maybe, yet still people who you are willing to extend the most intimate details of your current situation.  It's a strange little bond we have, we being poker players, something that brings us together.  Many see a stranger here, as being a pal we have yet to meet.  I hope you see that you have lots of pals here, thinking of you.  Please keep us updated Tom, it may well help you to get things off your chest as time passes, somewhat cathartic possibly, but equally as important to let your pals know how things are going.
    Hope you enjoy the cruise, you jammy sod!
    Take care
    Karen AKA Mac
    xx
  • GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,203
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: My story:
    Hi Tom, I don't really know what I want to say precisely, or indeed if I have the ability to express it adequately, but here goes.  Firstly, and most importantly, it certainly goes without saying that I extend you my sincerest best wishes for a speedy recovery. These things are sent to try us, as the saying goes, and as you'll know, people always seem to come back stronger from a wee setback. You appear to have a glorious bond with your good lady and if at all possible, I'd guess your relationship will be even stronger after you have both been through this minor blip. I'm sure that I'm not alone in finding it very endearing that you chose to share your story here. A place which I'd guess you have some 'real life' friends, but mostly populated by strangers.  Strangers maybe, yet still people who you are willing to extend the most intimate details of your current situation.  It's a strange little bond we have, we being poker players, something that brings us together.  Many see a stranger here, as being a pal we have yet to meet.  I hope you see that you have lots of pals here, thinking of you.  Please keep us updated Tom, it may well help you to get things off your chest as time passes, somewhat cathartic possibly, but equally as important to let your pals know how things are going. Hope you enjoy the cruise, you jammy sod! Take care Karen AKA Mac xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    +1

sorry to hear the news Tom. Mac's said it better than I possibly could so I will leave it at that.
    do keep up the stories - most appreciated.
  • GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,598
    edited January 2017
    Just catching up with your story.  Best wishes & sending good vibes.  Hope you go & enjoy the cruise.
    Pad
    Edit: Forgot to ask.... what ship ya going on!  Mrs & I went to Caribbean on "Independence of the Seas"  last year and gotta say it was AWESOME! 
  • MaggiesdadMaggiesdad Member Posts: 439
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tom

We don't know each other but just wanted to say good luck with the treatment. Stay strong.
    edited January 2017
    My word, thank you all so much for your kind wishes, it is most heart warming to read your posts, Sir Tikay of concretia it is much appreciated that you can take the time from your very busy schedule to respond, and in such a fine way, you are truly a gent, great story also, Macagirl I am humbled by your post and wish I could be as good with words as you, my story would be much better I feel..I have decided to go on the cruise with my lovely wife, am now counting the days to the lonnnnggg flight to Barbados. I have mentioned only two names but believe me each and every one of you I am grateful to for your kindness in your responses, I have pretty much been a cynic in my days but to read such words fill me with hope for the future and it makes me a better person for it. Take care all and good luck in poker and life.

On a side note I showed no symptoms apart from going to the loo during the night , and was shocked at the doctor telling me the high percentage of men in their 60s and 70s who get this condition so I would urge anyone of that age (or 50s in my case) to have a simple blood/urine test to check.
  • De_menaceDe_menace Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2017
    Hiya there, my Grandad managed to over come prostate cancer and so has his brother who swears by crystalized stem ginger or i think any Ginger, may be worth looking into. Enjoy ya hols. ope everything works out for you ;XD

• gerardirlgerardirl Member Posts: 1,299
    edited January 2017
    Just reading this thread now. Sending all my positive thoughts ur way tom. Very brave of u to post u are always such a gent any time we share a table and a role model for how poker should be played, in good spirits! 

Ger
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,768
    edited January 2017
    ffs,just seen this Tom,its beatable this day n age m8 and you will beat it,stay strong and gl
  • dumb_blonddumb_blond Member Posts: 308
    edited January 2017
    sorry to  hear about your condition tom you wont know me I'm only a minnow from the  small stake mtts

a few months ago was having  one of my better nights and had built up a good stack and things were going great.

then I was moved to a table where you were playing and I can honestly say in the short time  I have played poker

I have never felt so outclassed witnessing a master class by yourself that resulted  in all my chips  having a new home.

can I add my get well soon wishes as a member of our sky poker family for all I thought of you as the (wicked uncle)

on that night .

enjoy your cruise and I hope everything goes well for you and your family

• oynutteroynutter Member Posts: 4,773
    edited January 2017
    Very best of luck Tom --- trust them hospital types, but try to keep informed, and write down your questions for when you see the doctor ----- keep strong -- you'll be surprised how much having these forum thinkers about you helps to cheer you up---- you need that kind of thing------- and find funny things to read!

eternally yours

an optimist
    edited January 2017
    Just catching up with your story.  Best wishes & sending good vibes.  Hope you go & enjoy the cruise. Pad Edit: Forgot to ask.... what ship ya going on!  Mrs & I went to Caribbean on "Independence of the Seas"  last year and gotta say it was AWESOME! 
    Posted by Glenelg
    Thanks glen, we went on Jewel of the seas last year and that was fantastic,which is why we booked for this year,although we have booked with a different cruise line as we wanted to visit different ports.This time we are on the 'Carnival Valor ',I must have a word with these Americans and point out there is a u missing,ey slip ;)
    edited January 2017
    sorry to  hear about your condition tom you wont know me I'm only a minnow from the  small stake mtts  a few months ago was having  one of my better nights and had built up a good stack and things were going great. then I was moved to a table where you were playing and I can honestly say in the short time  I have played poker I have never felt so outclassed witnessing a master class by yourself that resulted  in all my chips  having a new home. can I add my get well soon wishes as a member of our sky poker family for all I thought of you as the (wicked uncle) on that night . enjoy your cruise and I hope everything goes well for you and your family  
    Posted by dumb_blond
    Thanks miss (mrs?) blonde lady, very kind of you to big me up but to be honest I was probably hitting every flop I played,happens sometimes, was nice to share a table and have a chat last night,hope you have better luck next time. Tc .
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tom, I don't really know what I want to say precisely, or indeed if I have the ability to express it adequately, but here goes.  Firstly, and most importantly, it certainly goes without saying that I extend you my sincerest best wishes for a speedy recovery. These things are sent to try us, as the saying goes, and as you'll know, people always seem to come back stronger from a wee setback. You appear to have a glorious bond with your good lady and if at all possible, I'd guess your relationship will be even stronger after you have both been through this minor blip. I'm sure that I'm not alone in finding it very endearing that you chose to share your story here. A place which I'd guess you have some 'real life' friends, but mostly populated by strangers.  Strangers maybe, yet still people who you are willing to extend the most intimate details of your current situation.  It's a strange little bond we have, we being poker players, something that brings us together.  Many see a stranger here, as being a pal we have yet to meet.  I hope you see that you have lots of pals here, thinking of you.  Please keep us updated Tom, it may well help you to get things off your chest as time passes, somewhat cathartic possibly, but equally as important to let your pals know how things are going. Hope you enjoy the cruise, you jammy sod! Take care Karen AKA Mac xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Thank you Karen what a really nice post,your eloquence is wonderful to read.next time I am on your table I want lessons :) yes on the poker also. Tc.x