You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

My story

Comments

• GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,203
    edited January 2017
    the last thing you need tom, eh, when you have your current problems
    but on problems/disasters etc where you cannot do anything about it try not to allow it to upset you too much, no matter how horrible. there is a lot of s.hit in the world and sometimes it affects our nearest and dearest
    but we need to save our energies and emotions for those issues where we can make an impact. it's when we fail at those that we should be upset with ourselves.

happy aniversary btw - that's a big achievement in itself that not that many people have the ability to make happen, so you must be doing plenty right.

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    edited January 2017
    Best wishes to you and your family at this difficult time Tom
  • Macacgirl1Macacgirl1 Member Posts: 865
    edited January 2017
    Oh Lordy, chin up Tom.
    Take care as best you can, fully understandable that you won't be posting anymore.
    Thinking of you and yours, best wishes.
    Love
    Karen
    xx
  • Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,491
    edited January 2017
    Best wishes to you all Tom
  • paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    edited January 2017
    Best Wishes to you all Tom x
  • EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,432
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tom 

Even if you are not posting any more I hope you are reading the posts as there are a lot of good wishes and good vibes coming to you from the Sky community.

Let me add my best wishes for a speedy recovery from the cancer. My partner had cancer 14 years ago, so we have been where you are now. I would advise you to look into the other things you can do yourself to help your recovery. When  my other half was diagnosed we actually flew out to Mexico for treatment for 3 weeks. We consulted Dr Contreras at the Oasis of Hope, (google it if you like). Dr Contreras is a world renowned cancer surgeon and expert on 'alternative' treatments. After seeing him she had a lower dose of chemo than standard protocol but combined it with nutritional therapy (including eating apricot kernels and other natural cancer fighting supplements). She flew through the chemo with very few side effects and made a full recovery. 14 years later she is still cancer free and still eats apricot kernels every day.

I hope the family problems resolve themselves too. Sometimes you have to just 'be there' and time eases the problem, other times you have to have the courage and conviction to take action. It may be very difficult to know the right course to take at the moment, hopefully things will become clearer. 

You have many 'virtual' friends on Sky however I also live just along the coast in Battle so if you feel the need to chat to someone completely independent feel free to pm me and I can give you my contact details.   

All the best

Paul
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    edited January 2017
    I am so very thankful for all your lovely messages, it's hard for me to put into words how I feel but I do appreciate it.I didnt want this thred to become a woe is me type thing,unfortunately something happened( not to me, but someone I love unconditionally) and I have written above how I feel.

Thank you enut I shall bear that in mind ,perhaps I may take you up on the offer sometime. On the thing you mention about changing diet and eating healthily,my good lady purchased a nutri bullit and makes me a shake made up of spinach,celery,apple(green ones) ginger,and a hint of lemon.,there are a few more things which I have forgotten for the moment,oh sunflower seeds . She has also filled in a form for a nutricianist to help my condition. Fantastic news for you and your other half,thank you for sharing that,so pleased for you and gives me hope.

Wish I could mention you all by name as it seems I am singling folk out but believe me that every message means a great deal and I am truly humbled by your kind words.

Good luck all you genuine folk and be safe.x

• pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,834
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tom
    Congratulations to you and your good lady on your anniversary, 26 years together is a fantastic show of faith,love and commitment.
    I think the world is a dark place for you at the moment, it would have to be with all that is happening, but please remember that there are a lot of good people, friends and loved ones who are pulling for you and thinking of you at the moment.
    It is easy for me to say but please try not to give in to negative thoughts, I am sure you are a tower of strength and an inspiration to your loved ones.
    Together I hope you will find your way through these difficult times.
    Nick
  • dragon1964dragon1964 Member Posts: 3,054
    edited January 2017
    Best wishes to you and your family.
    And good luck.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273
    edited January 2017

Friday has arrived, big day today - good vibes sent.
  • FlyingDaggFlyingDagg Member Posts: 4,146
    edited January 2017
    Tom I can only guess at this latest news but you are obviously devastated and I really hope it doesn't set you back. We meet a lot in the Deepies and if you have chat turned off I fully understand but I'll still say hi and wish you good luck.

All of us at TPT send you our best wishes and hope it goes well for you today.

And congrats on your 26th Anniversary.

• Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited January 2017
    Just caught up with this thread and wanted to wish you all the best.

I know making occasional time for poker and sharing a pretty dark time for me helped me cope and escape some of the mental strains a year ago.

If you fancy it you can see there is a vibrant community willing you on. If you dont I am sure we will understand that too.

My dark time I shared last year concerned my wife - thankfully she is pretty much recovered now.

What I hadn't shared until now is that I had my own scare earlier this year - nothing like as bad as you but some "gentlemen problems" led me to the GP - one of those 2 week referrals and a whole bunch of tests. The results were better for me, no cancer and a minor op sorted me out.

Just wanted to use these stories to encourage anyone with any symptoms to get checked out soonest. Us men folk are notorious putter-offers.

Best Wishes to you and for your family.
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: My story:
    Friday has arrived, big day today - good vibes sent.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Indeedy, thanks for all you have done,a man of your considerable stature taking the time to post and encourage others shows what a generous and kind soul you truly are,I wish you all the very best.

My wife and I saw the consultant today ( I had to ask if he got his consultancy for a Xmas present as he was clearly not old enough,he looked about 12) firstly I was a little miffed that my blood hadn't been tested for psa level,the consultant rang the lab and instructed them to do it today and he will send me a letter with the results next week.

He showed us the MRI scan and pointed out that the cancer is on the outside of the prostate near the muscle which means taking the prostate out is not an option as they can't cut through the muscle.

He then went through the treatment options, a seven week course of radiotherapy,which involves daily treatment in Brighton,or internal rod bracheotherapy and a four week course of radiotherapy,both can be done anytime after I have been on hormone therapy for 3 months, which means I will be starting towards the mid / end of November,I said the sooner the better for me,as 
    I want to get things progressed,he will have a meeting with consultants at the Brighton cancer centre to see if the rod thingy is appropriate for me as that is the option I chose if possible.
    Both treatments have side effects which are a little uncomfortable to say the least but I expected that.
    He said there is no sign that the cancer is in the nodes or has matstacised( which is a big word for spread) ,that is most positive, he also said he was aiming for treatment which will last 10 or 20 years as I am relatively young and fit,which is also a positive.

edited January 2017
    I ran out of room on my iPad when posting the above message, just a quick hello and thanks to all for the messages of support.i am still hurting inside and trying to put on a brave face whilst keeping up the bravado and humour that is my trademark at home, I have been advised to keep things as normal as possible for others to cope,I think that is a good thing,very difficult as sometimes I feel a bit of a fraud and my brain sometimes tells me otherwise as I have pretty much been a say it as it is kind of chap,but I am learning to consider others in my elder years.

Good luck all,be safe.x
  • SlipwaterSlipwater Member Posts: 3,587
    edited January 2017
    Hi Tom - that's positive news about the spread (or lack thereof) of the cancer. There are a lot of people here pulling for you, on top of all the well wishes from your real family and friends ;)

Take care, and try to relax over the weekend.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,273
    edited January 2017

Morning Tom.

I don't really understand all that medical talk, so I am not sure what to think or say. It seems, on the whole, to be a reasonable prognosis, but I have no medical knowledge. 

But then I got to this bit......

".....aiming for treatment which will last 10 or 20 years...."

10 or 20 years? Well we'd all like to live forever, as long as our quality of life remains decent, but a week ago, if they offered you 20 years, I think you'd have almost been relieved, as it COULD have been much worse.

Tell you what, I wish the medical people would offer me another 10 or 20 years, & that's a fact! (I am not unwell, but I am nearer 70 than 60, if you get my drift....).

I'm also not sure what those "missing" blood tests might mean, but I hope they are known soon, & give further grounds for encouragement.

These things are intensely personal, so don't feel obliged to keep us updated, but you have a LOT of regulars here rooting for you, & I truly believe their continued vibes might just help a bit.

Anyway, things seem a little brighter than 24 hours ago, so fingers crossed.
    edited January 2017
    I am so very thankful for all your lovely messages, it's hard for me to put into words how I feel but I do appreciate it.I didnt want this thred to become a woe is me type thing,unfortunately something happened( not to me, but someone I love unconditionally) and I have written above how I feel. Thank you enut I shall bear that in mind ,perhaps I may take you up on the offer sometime. On the thing you mention about changing diet and eating healthily,my good lady purchased a nutri bullit and makes me a shake made up of spinach,celery,apple(green ones) ginger,and a hint of lemon.,there are a few more things which I have forgotten for the moment,oh sunflower seeds . She has also filled in a form for a nutricianist to help my condition. Fantastic news for you and your other half,thank you for sharing that,so pleased for you and gives me hope. Wish I could mention you all by name as it seems I am singling folk out but believe me that every message means a great deal and I am truly humbled by your kind words. Good luck all you genuine folk and be safe.x
    Posted by tomgoodun
    That's the sort of stuff. I can't stress how good the apricot kernels are. They taste a bit bitter (like marzipan) but they are one of the reasons why the Hunza tribe are so healthy and long lived. They are very cheap, about £30 for a kilo, which is enough kernels to last a loooong time. we get ours from www.credence.org. (Shalkur 'Baby Hunza' Apricot Kernels).

The whole diet thing is crucial, if you want more detail look into Phillip Day's book 'Cancer why we're still dying to know the truth'. Vitamen C, multi vits, etc are good too.
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: My story : Indeedy, thanks for all you have done,a man of your considerable stature taking the time to post and encourage others shows what a generous and kind soul you truly are,I wish you all the very best. My wife and I saw the consultant today ( I had to ask if he got his consultancy for a Xmas present as he was clearly not old enough,he looked about 12) firstly I was a little miffed that my blood hadn't been tested for psa level,the consultant rang the lab and instructed them to do it today and he will send me a letter with the results next week. He showed us the MRI scan and pointed out that the cancer is on the outside of the prostate near the muscle which means taking the prostate out is not an option as they can't cut through the muscle. He then went through the treatment options, a seven week course of radiotherapy,which involves daily treatment in Brighton,or internal rod bracheotherapy and a four week course of radiotherapy,both can be done anytime after I have been on hormone therapy for 3 months, which means I will be starting towards the mid / end of November,I said the sooner the better for me,as  I want to get things progressed,he will have a meeting with consultants at the Brighton cancer centre to see if the rod thingy is appropriate for me as that is the option I chose if possible. Both treatments have side effects which are a little uncomfortable to say the least but I expected that. He said there is no sign that the cancer is in the nodes or has matstacised( which is a big word for spread) ,that is most positive, he also said he was aiming for treatment which will last 10 or 20 years as I am relatively young and fit,which is also a positive.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    You had suspected prostate cancer and they didn't test your psa levels? Sometimes the NHS stagger me.

Excellent news that it hasn't spread.

Take all of their 'life expectancy' predictions with a pinch of salt. When we were in Mexico we met a young lady who had been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer, her oncologist had given her 3 months to live, or 6 months with high dose chemo, but she would still die. She refused the chemo and treated herself by changing her diet and her thinking. We met her in the Oasis of Hope 3 years later when she was being given the complete all clear. She no longer had any cancer, at all. Typical though that her US oncologist was still chasing her for payment for the original diagnosis!

Interesting that this so called 'spontaneous regression' seems to happen quite a bit with people that go the alternative route, the NHS has no idea why it happens!

Sorry, I am wittering on. Keep positive and do as much as you can for yourself.
  • FlyingDaggFlyingDagg Member Posts: 4,146
    edited January 2017
    I can see that Enut obviously has great faith in alternative cures but can I just add that it is important that people do not refuse proven medical procedures to their own detriment.
    edited January 2017
    I can see that Enut obviously has great faith in alternative cures but can I just add that it is important that people do not refuse proven medical procedures to their own detriment.
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    I am certainly not saying anyone should refuse expert opinion and 'proven' treatments just that anyone going through this owes it to themselves to be as well informed as possible. My other half had chemo. They used 4 drugs, 3 were artificial copies of natural remedies!