You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

What should I do now?

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129
edited December 2021 in Strategy

I've returned, in a small way, to NLH DYM's.

I've played exclusively PLO & PLO8 for some years now, so I'm struggling with many things, including hand ranges, but mostly betting sizes. In Pot Limit games bet sizes are very easy, if in doubt POT. In NLH, it's so very different, & the temptation to shove is often too much to resist.

I'm also lacking confidence in playing down the streets in NLH, unlike Omaha variants where I pretty much know exactly where I am.

So, this hand came up, & I'd be interested in what YOU would do, & also what you would do if you were me in this spot. (The latter is a very different thing, as I'm very rusty at NLH).  

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2017

It's a £2.25 DYM. The table, not to be rude, looks reasonably soft.

Even with my lack of recent NLH game time, I do actually expect to be able to do OK in this - let's say I'd "win" it 66% of the time, just by sticking to solid DYM principles.

We are in Level 1, just started, & I am in the BB.

UTG makes it 100 to go. (10/20, but I already know this guy raises almost every hand pre).

The WHOLE TABLE then call. 

So it gets to me in the BB, & there is 520 in the middle. (Starting stack is 2,000). 

We have A-K suited. 

What should I do now, & why?

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,024
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: What should I do now?:
    It's a £2.25 DYM. The table, not to be rude, looks reasonably soft. Even with my lack of recent NLH game time, I do actually expect to be able to do OK in this - let's say I'd "win" it 66% of the time, just by sticking to solid DYM principles.   We are in Level 1, just started, & I am in the BB. UTG makes it 100 to go. (10/20, but I already know this guy raises almost every hand pre).   The WHOLE TABLE then call.  So it gets to me in the BB, & there is 520 in the middle. (Starting stack is 2,000).   We have A-K suited.  What should I do now, & why?    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Level 1 - i would bin it with 5 already in the pot.
    Good chance 2 or 3 will go to war and increases your chances of cashing.

Disclaimer - i haven't played NLH DYM's for years either.
  • Options
    edrichedrich Member Posts: 1,899
    edited January 2017
    I'm not loving going all in with AK on level one, on what I am assuming is a loose table. Of course it does depend on if you think you can get it through.

I think I would be tempted to call for 80 into what is now a 600 pot, and reassess after the flop. This could of course get you into a difficult situation if you flop top pair, and you have let in all the two pairs, sets and draws. You could also hit the flop big and make some chips.

Not totally sure,
                         Ed.

• Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    edited January 2017
    I can't claim to be any sort of expert but am definitely a winning player and would consider this a ridiculously easy shove given the notes you've mentioned...would love for a dym boss to say otherwise?
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,347
    edited January 2017
    Interesting you should post this, I had the pleasure of you at my tables week or so ago, I saw you 3bet shove with 88 I think LVL 1. (Maybe you had a read and I should shut up).

But i think you should be tighter,  AK isn't something I like multiway unless its dirt  cheap.
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Interesting you should post this, I had the pleasure of you at my tables week or so ago, I saw you 3bet shove with 88 I think LVL 1. (Maybe you had a read and I should shut up).  But i think you should be tighter,  AK isn't something I like multiway unless its dirt  cheap.
    Posted by mumsie
    3 bet shoving with 88 for 50bb against 1 opponent doesn't seem like something I'd do but I may be wrong! There's an "Allanaus23" on here as well - maybe it was him!
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,347
    edited January 2017
    In Response to Re: What should I do now? : 3 bet shoving with 88 for 50bb against 1 opponent doesn't seem like something I'd do but I may be wrong! There's an "Allanaus23" on here as well - maybe it was him!
    Posted by Allan23

My sincerest apologies. Wrong guy.
  • Options
    TalonTalon Member Posts: 1,621
    edited January 2017
     Interesting hand.

I think the biggest problem in the hand is actually your whole cards. They look very pretty and can hit really well. But on the other hand it is only ace high.

To me the best way of looking at this hand is to ignore your holding totally. We have a 5x raise utg and then 4 callers. This says to me we have a lot of luck plays going on here. Marginal holdings and hands than can flop well. The sort that lead to extremely funky two pair combos that cant be seen.

With this in mind i dont think we can feasibly hit the board hard enough to be certain of being ahead on the flop so would require gambling. Not a good situation to be in. So for me that rules out calling.

So that only leaves shoving or folding.Any other 3-bet size really wouldnt work here.

This being a dym and the only concern in all hands is chip preservation. The most likely course of action here in my opinion is a fold.

When there is this much action at this stage early knockouts will happen. Could even end up with one of those lovely situations of cashing without playing a hand. I would even consider just folding every single hand on level 1 from this point and wait and see. You would still have a very playable stack and could easily be in the end game situation
  • Options
    SMARTGOATSMARTGOAT Member Posts: 477
    edited January 2017
    I would see it as a pretty easy call given that the table is soft, post flop i'd try and see a showdown as cheaply as possible if i hit the board, no need to create a big pot if the table seems weak, one mid sized early pot in these games can see you through to the money. Folding here is too tight and raising is too risky as you are forced to fold to a reraise and are likely to be called by a couple of players. Shoving is too much of a gamble given its all about survival.
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Thanks for the replies. It's quite interesting, I think.

I'll let the thread sweat for another day or so, then do the "reveal" as to what happened.

• Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited January 2017
    Given ithe context of a dym with a relatively easy field, I am folding. Calling to be out of position with a drawing hand v 5 opponents with any 2 cards doesnt make sense to me.

Think I am only shoving AA KK in that spot.

You will are guaranteed  to be top 3 in chips by folding unless something funky has already happened to stacks or happens in this hand. It is also quite possible that 1 or 2 will bust this hand.
  • Options
    weecheez1weecheez1 Member Posts: 1,680
    edited January 2017
    Given ithe context of a dym with a relatively easy field, I am folding. Calling to be out of position with a drawing hand v 5 opponents with any 2 cards doesnt make sense to me. Think I am only shoving AA KK in that spot. You will are guaranteed  to be top 3 in chips by folding unless something funky has already happened to stacks or happens in this hand. It is also quite possible that 1 or 2 will bust this hand.
    Posted by Phantom66
    +1
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited January 2017
    People saying fold pre?!

Knitting is fun.
  • Options
    HENDRIK62HENDRIK62 Member Posts: 3,145
    edited January 2017
    not folding, not calling, not shoving.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited January 2017
    I think our table position is an advantage in this spot.

Say we peel (which I think is fine, though it's pretty close with raising) we go 6 way with 600 in the middle. Regardless of what the flop is (if we smash or whiff, and assuming SB checks), it's on original raiser to act. If they cbet into 5 players (which sounds crazy but this is a £2.25 game on Sky) then we're gonna have a good idea of who's potentially strong by the time its on us. It's gonna be tough for someone to conceal a strong hand should a set/2P be lurking.

If we flop something like 2P, TP and NFD or gutshot and NFD then in they go I think. Chip preservation is important but equally if you can accumulate a stack early doors then you often sail into the money.

Wouldn't begrudge a shove pre, though it 'looks like AK' so someone might spin you with TT etc. Would balance this by also shoving AA/KK in this spot sometimes.

• Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    edited January 2017
    Fold? :)
  • Options
    TommyDTommyD Member Posts: 4,389
    edited January 2017

This is just a redic easy jam.

The current pot represents a +25% increase of our stack.  The opener can have one of the 6 combos that dominate us but from the experience you have seen, they have a huge amount more.  I very much doubt anyone else has one of these as in level 1 they would in general be more inclined to isolate the opener, unless there has been a ton of squeezing going on.

We'd prefer to just win the pot uncontested, of course we would.  We win then 100% of the time.  But we're not the ones making a mistake here if we jam.  Say one of the callers has 77, and they decide to go flipping.  By them calling off, they are the ones making the mistake saying 'I hope I'm flipping' in a DYM.

We fold out everyone most of the time for a 25% stack gain, we make an oppo make a mistake some of the time and in those spots we are either even money or decently ahead (I've seen K9o call in these spots more than once) and very rarely we are dominated but can always get there.

Just jam, keep it simple, it's never a mistake as the play has been described.

• Options
    edited January 2017

These answers are fascinating, & some are very different.

Would appreciate a few more replies before the rveal.

What is most important, of course, is not the result, win or lose, but what is the correct or optimal play here? 
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Couldn't agree more TommyD - seems to be a common thing people write "could find a better spot" etc and although it has its merits in DYM's surely it is extremely flawed thinking in this scenario - by shoving we must be prrrintttingg money long term and therefore it must be good?
  • Options
    Lambert180Lambert180 Member Posts: 12,197
    edited January 2017
    I've been having a muck around with DYMs again the last few days and I think I'm with Tommy and jamming. If the open had been 60 and then everyone called, I'd be much more inclined to just peel pre because the risk/reward would be a lot worse. Then I'd just play very straight forwardly postflop/only continue if I've hit TP+ and even then keep the pot under control unless we've hit really hard.

Peeling the extra 80 isn't the worst option in the world either but my preferences are jam > peel > fold