You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Brexit

Comments

• Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,621
    So you're not prepared to give Brexit the chance to prove the "Majority" were right.
    You're flapping around trying to prop up EU tent in the face of Brexit Florence.
  • Options
    It's good to "Vent" should be Olympic Sport. A certain Someone would get "Gold"
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,925
    goldon said:

So you're not prepared to give Brexit the chance to prove the "Majority" were right.
    You're flapping around trying to prop up EU tent in the face of Brexit Florence.

This shouldn't be viewed as an experiment. I am listening to the experts, and the obvious logic, which points to a disaster.
  • Options
    goldon said:

It's good to "Vent" should be Olympic Sport. A certain Someone would get "Gold"

It wouldn't be you.
  • Options
    goldon said:

I am really interested to know of any aspect of your life that you expect to improve as a result of Brexit. Any way the UK will improve. You continually spout rhetoric, without saying, or maybe knowing what you actually mean.

What rules have the EU changed recently, that have affected you?
    Explain about getting your identity back.
    How do you gauge the value for money, or not, in regard to our EU contributions?
    Explain bleeding us dry?
    Explain how the EU contributed to the debts of British families.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,318
    Hey Haysie

I've followed this post with some interest and me and my family have a fairly simplistic opinion on the whole debate:

I'm 61 and genuinely believe our economy will never recover in my lifetime..even if I am lucky enough to live past the average age of mortality for women, never mind us inferior males!

My kids-all adults feel that 'old people' have sold this country down the river, 2 of them live in multicultural London and 1 in San Francisco who all reckon the majority don't understand 'immigration', 'cultural diversity' and an 'inclusive society' and with a sense of irony note two examples:

Cornwall which has benefited from more money that most other counties, never mind per head of population of most other European states, never mind European countries voted 65% to leave.....recent poll now says 52% want to stay

A farmer friend who's EU subsidy paid his annual farm rent, voted leave...with no guarantee of a MAFF replacement/transition funds....now regretting his decision- btw his farm will fold without this subsidy!

There will be lots of other concrete examples of people waking up to their decision to leave and those sensible enough to read and review the impact have at least acknowledged their original decision might have been flawed

ironically my wife and I were due to put our house on the market in January-March 19, cash in our equity, slow down our work schedule(play MORE poker) but according to Mark Carney's view point this week on house prices falling post Brexit...hmmm...thanks a lot Brexiteers, really no thank you..but that 's it, not planning to comment again
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Goldon is entitled to his opinion. It is one that is shared by a lot of people.

It is much easier to blame external forces (such as the EU) for our problems, rather than look at ourselves.

That said, it is a bit like blaming the RNG for losing at poker :)

Sorry feel I have to say ; its ALWAYS the RNG that is to blame when I lose!!!
    ( not my c rap decision making, aggressive betting and flawed judgement to recognise I'm beaten- as peter Ebberdon once told me I'm a bad but lucky player...that's do for me!)
  • Options
    Haysie

Please don't mention JRMogg..which one do you want punch first ? Mogg or Gove??

Now THAT would be a referednum worth having
  • Options
    madprof said:

Hey Haysie

I've followed this post with some interest and me and my family have a fairly simplistic opinion on the whole debate:

I'm 61 and genuinely believe our economy will never recover in my lifetime..even if I am lucky enough to live past the average age of mortality for women, never mind us inferior males!

My kids-all adults feel that 'old people' have sold this country down the river, 2 of them live in multicultural London and 1 in San Francisco who all reckon the majority don't understand 'immigration', 'cultural diversity' and an 'inclusive society' and with a sense of irony note two examples:

Cornwall which has benefited from more money that most other counties, never mind per head of population of most other European states, never mind European countries voted 65% to leave.....recent poll now says 52% want to stay

A farmer friend who's EU subsidy paid his annual farm rent, voted leave...with no guarantee of a MAFF replacement/transition funds....now regretting his decision- btw his farm will fold without this subsidy!

There will be lots of other concrete examples of people waking up to their decision to leave and those sensible enough to read and review the impact have at least acknowledged their original decision might have been flawed

ironically my wife and I were due to put our house on the market in January-March 19, cash in our equity, slow down our work schedule(play MORE poker) but according to Mark Carney's view point this week on house prices falling post Brexit...hmmm...thanks a lot Brexiteers, really no thank you..but that 's it, not planning to comment again

I have extreme difficulty in understanding any logic behind a leave vote.
  • Options
    madprof said:

Haysie

Please don't mention JRMogg..which one do you want punch first ? Mogg or Gove??

Now THAT would be a referednum worth having

He would have been more at home in a different century.
  • Options
    goldon said:

Had I been silly enough to have fallen for the "Leave" pitch, what I have seen since would be causing me to have severe doubts about whether or not I had done the right thing.
  • Options
    If we stayed in the Single Market and the Customs Union, we could carry on pretty much as we are now, only without any input into any rule making, or policy decisions.
    We would contribute less money.
    There would be no Irish border problem.
    There would be no border delays, or house prices crashing.
    We would have to accept freedom of movement, but implement the rule that anyone that had been here for 3 months with no job, would have to return to where they came from.
    The problem is that this Government has stated from day one, that we are not staying in either.
    They have the attempted to produce a fudge that keeps us close, but not in.
    This has turned out to be the old joke about the giraffe being a horse designed by a committee.
    We wanted a horse and the Government are trying to give us a giraffe.
    The EU would have accepted a horse, but not the giraffe.
    Some factions of the Tory party are trying to con us into believing that the giraffe is really a horse.
    Other factions are telling us they cant get us a horse, so we have to accept the giraffe. Some are telling us that we shouldn't accept the giraffe or the horse, and just crash out.
    The Brexiteers are saying that everyone knew what they voted for in the referendum and it was a giraffe, yet some people clearly still think they voted for a horse.

The end result may well be a zebra that will turn out to be the worst of all worlds that nobody is happy with.

The Chequers proposal will keep us aligned with Europe. Yet the fervent Brexiteers maintain that this alignment is a barrier to free trade deals elsewhere. The Governments response is that these arrangements could be changed by a future Government.

Wouldnt the long term uncertainty about this arrangement be off putting for any large manufacturer contemplating setting up in the UK to access the European Market?
    The fact that any European trade could be affected by a change of Government, may be enough to persuade manufacturers to set up in Europe in the future, rather than the UK.
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited September 2018
    HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

I am really interested to know of any aspect of your life that you expect to improve as a result of Brexit. Any way the UK will improve. You continually spout rhetoric, without saying, or maybe knowing what you actually mean.

How do you gauge the value for money, or not, in regard to our EU contributions?
    Explain bleeding us dry?
    Don't be shy, Goldon.

You're always ready to spout your tripe and nonsense, so how about answering some questions, that you've brought on yourself, without resorting to your usual gibberish.

Look forward to the answers....
  • Options

HAYSIE said:

goldon said:

Explain bleeding us dry?
    Don't be shy, Goldon.

You're always ready to spout your tripe and nonsense, so how about answering some questions, that you've brought on yourself. without resorting to your usual gibberish.

Look forward to the answers....
    I don't suppose anyone is expecting you to answer them, but you could prove them wrong.
  • Options
    You're right ........ but I know two men that can.

https://youtu.be/2vCiol6Nbyk
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,742
    Oh dear...
    Here’s a few positives about the EU ( copied from a well known newspaper, pretty sure they are factual)

Peace
    The origins of peace in Europe lie in the alliance made between France and Germany t gave birth to the European Coal and Steel Community, a forerunner of the EU. The ECSC was first conceived by Robert Schuman, the French foreign minister in 1950 "to make war not only unthinkable but materially impossible". The continent has indeed enjoyed lasting peace. International security remains one of the EU's top priorities, not just in Europe but the rest of the world.

Single market
    The single market is probably the EU's single biggest achievement after peace, though it's arguably hard to separate the two. It guarantees the free movement of people, goods, services and capital. Apart from the unifying effect of this set-up on European citizens, it has provided the opportunity for them to travel, live, work, study and do business across the union, and to enjoy a wide range of competitively-priced services and goods.

Easier, passport-free travel
    Since the 15 member countries which signed up to the Schengen agreement abandoned their border posts, it is possible to travel freely and easily not just to Tuscany and Dordogne, but across huge swaths of the union. Driving licenses are valid across the continent, while the single currency standardised trains and the fact that holidaymakers are fully covered for emergency hospital treatment in other EU countries have all encouraged freedom of movement.

Cheaper and safer flights
    Increased competition between airlines operating within the member states introduced in the 1980s and 90s has provided us with cheaper flights to a much wider range of destinations than ever before. Flights are also safer as a result of tightened regulations and improvements in air traffic control.

Democracy and human rights
    Brussels sets standards of human rights, democracy and the rule of law to which countries must adhere if they want to be part of the European Union. In practical terms these guidelines have had a particular impact on the countries of southern, central and eastern Europe, which joined after they emerged from dictatorships with often underdeveloped civil societies.

Cheaper telephone calls
    In the 1990s the EU liberalised the telecommunications markets. That together with new technology has led to considerably lower prices. The cost of international telephone calls has fallen by more than 80% in the last 30 years, while mobile phone roaming charges have also been significantly reduced.

Improved air and water quality
    Member states have demonstrated their own appetite for protecting the environment, but they would arguably not have done so much had pressure not been applied by the EU via legislation to improve the quality of rivers, seas and beaches, and reduce acid rain and sulphur emissions.

Any EU sceptics out there want to point out the negatives of the above?

When people talk about “ Getting our identity/Country back”, are they suggesting we as a nation were held back by the EU on workers rights, cheaper phone calls, travel etc etc?

The EU have zero say on the Austerity measures this government has employed over the past decade, do people seriously believe our government/s would do much better for us if we don’t “ Have our hands tied “ in certain citizens/workers rights, and so on?

I haven’t even mentioned the fact that companies are vociferous about the impact of Brexit., the Irish Border, the list is endless.

I look forward to sane replies.
  • Options
    The Family ; EU has abusive foster Father bully boy Brothers subservient Sisters all chucking the baby out with the Bath Water. Italy will be next. "Rule Britannia"
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    goldon said:

The Family ; EU has abusive foster Father bully boy Brothers subservient Sisters all chucking the baby out with the Bath Water. Italy will be next. "Rule Britannia"

Yet again unable to reply without your usual gibberish.

What identity that you've not had for 40 years are you suddenly gonna have again once we leave the EU?
  • Options
    It's comfort to be here on my own with the Majority.