You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Diary of a determined player

Comments

• Options
    peter27peter27 Member Posts: 1,634
    Now that I've had time to reflect on this, I can see that my shove was a bit ridiculous!

A combination of trying to be more aggressive, and the excitement of flopping a straight for the first time in live poker made me suffer with some brain fade it seems like.

Stacks were around 110k each, so very deep.
  • Options
    Last night was one of my most frustrating poker nights ever. :s

Hammered the TDYM's for the promotion that's open right now - but suffered a tonne of losses.

Played 7 x £33 TDYM's. Won 3, Lost 4.
    Played 11 x £55 TDYM's. Won 3, Lost 8.

I was getting good cards, but lost the majority of my showdowns.

Need to see a vast improvement today.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited March 2019
    peter27 said:

Now that I've had time to reflect on this, I can see that my shove was a bit ridiculous!

A combination of trying to be more aggressive, and the excitement of flopping a straight for the first time in live poker made me suffer with some brain fade it seems like.

Really confused, flopped a straight?

Blinds were 300/600, UTG limped. I raised to 2000 with AKo from CO. BTN called, UTG called.

QT9 rainbow flop.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

peter27 said:

Really confused, flopped a straight?

Blinds were 300/600, UTG limped. I raised to 2000 with AKo from CO. BTN called, UTG called.

QT9 rainbow flop.
    Oh .. OH! Okay, that should have been QJT rainbow flop. :D

Makes my shove a bit more justified, but still not acceptable.
  • Options
    peter27 said:

Last night was one of my most frustrating poker nights ever. :s

Hammered the TDYM's for the promotion that's open right now - but suffered a tonne of losses.

Played 7 x £33 TDYM's. Won 3, Lost 4.
    Played 11 x £55 TDYM's. Won 3, Lost 8.

I was getting good cards, but lost the majority of my showdowns.

Need to see a vast improvement today.

Since that post it has not gotten any better. Really struggling right now.

30% poor decisions, 70% bad luck I would say.

Losing my way a little bit, need to re-focus, and need a little luck.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I need to learn to give up pocket aces more frequently post-flop. That is all. :(
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,182
    peter27 said:

I need to learn to give up pocket aces more frequently post-flop. That is all. :(

Im assuming you're still talking about dym's here lol
  • Options

peter27 said:

Surely this could apply to any form of poker?
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,182
    edited April 2019
    MattBates said:

peter27 said:

Surely this could apply to any form of poker?
    Sorry Matt I mis-read it thought Peter was talking pre flop. I have on a couple of occassions folded A A pre in a dym. What else can you do with a couple of all ins in front ??
  • Options
    I was indeed talking about post-flop TDYM's. It was a throwaway, frustration-based comment.

I have really lost my way over the last few weeks. Have struggled to win flips, and that frustration has now led me to making stupid bets/calls. Balance has taken a big hit, need to refocus.

It has been around 15 MTT's since I last cashed now :(
  • Options
    Ahhh this is so frustrating.

Getting superb starting hands, but can't do anything with them.

Just had AA, AK, KK, JJ in four consecutive hands. Didn't win one of them. Either everyone folds, or the board run out is atrocious for me.

I guess it's difficult for me to complain about an unlucky patch, given how lucky I usually am. But still, really don't know how to deal with this .. haemorrhaging money right now.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475

Morning @peter27

You just have to tough it out Peter.

When you started playing those £50 DYM's you had an insane win rate, night after night, but at the moment you can't win a flip.

It will always be this way, swing & swong.

I know it's painful, but it's standard stuff.

Either take a little break, or work through it.

The one thing you must not do is let it affect your thinking & judgement, & start changing the way you play.
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    This isn’t meant as being critical or rude but i think you need a reality check on dyms

Even with your recent blip your roi is incredible.
    8.1% Roi and regular dyms over a long term sample would place you in the very very top dym players on Sky
    8.1% Roi at turbo dyms i believe would be impossible to sustain over a proper sample.

In all my experience at dyms i think i can recall no more than 5 players who have over an 8% roi from a long term sample.

You’re doing really well. Keep it up and don’t get down on yourself when you have a poor run of results
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

This isn’t meant as being critical or rude but i think you need a reality check on dyms

8.1% Roi and regular dyms over a long term sample would place you in the very very top dym players on Sky
    8.1% Roi at turbo dyms i believe would be impossible to sustain over a proper sample.

In all my experience at dyms i think i can recall no more than 5 players who have over an 8% roi from a long term sample.

You’re doing really well. Keep it up and don’t get down on yourself when you have a poor run of results

It's pretty difficult not to get down when your balance, and the profits you built up over the last six months, are dwindling very fast. But, I take your point.
  • Options
    peter27 said:

Jac35 said:

It is part of the issue with poker that we never really know what our returns should be so short term results can get seriously skewed one way or another. This can be seen even more so with MTTs than with DYMs. Another thing is needing to adjust our game over time and make adjustments v other players if we are playing the same players regularly.

With the returns thing I think if you look at the returns of others who have a decent sample size it can give you a reasonable indicator of the sorts of returns you can expect. In a game like DYMs I struggle to see how anyone can be massively better returns wise than the other good regs over the long term.

Key thing (which is very much easier said than done) is to try to keep playing optimally when we are either running well or running badly. You have noted you have played with positive tilt and made questionable plays so its good to notice the leak, you now need to plug the leak.
  • Options
    Hey all,

So maybe you've been wondering where I went.

After my dismal month of dropping from £1,241 profit down to £116 profit, I needed a few weeks break. In one month I basically wiped out the profits I had been working so hard to make over the prior three months. That really hurt mentally.

My break was probably a bit longer than I originally planned for as I was spending my time working on another project - but I am back now and ready to take to the tables; partially inspired by Daniel Negreanu offering people the chance to buy some of his action at the WSOP (which I will definitely be doing).

I'm going to keep the turbo DYM's as my "bread and butter" initially, but slowly try to move more towards MTT's. The problem is going to be finding the time to dedicate to long tournaments, but let's see how it plays out.
  • Options
    After watching Daniel Negreanu's day one WSOP vlog, I'm totally motivated to play an MTT tonight. Although, I haven't decided which one yet.

Sadly, after some dismal luck yesterday, I am going to have to re-deposit, for the first time since I started this diary. Extremely disappointing.
  • Options
    Actually, I'm going to play the mini. Only £5.50 entry with no rebuys, so actually, I will not need to re-deposit. Let's go make some money!
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,475

GL Peter, let us know how it goes.

Pretend to be Lewis, or the Mercedes, instead of LeClerc or Ferrari. Bound to work.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    First tournament break. That 25 minutes flew by!

- Starting stack 2000.
    - Lost around 15% of that in the first five hands or so.
    - A couple of good hands, including one bounty (£1.88), got me up to around 5000.
    - Called an all in for approx. 1000, he had TT, I had 33. T's held.
    - Now at 3,768 chips.

Feeling comfortable, and enjoying it.