You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

ALAN18 CASH GAME PROGRESS THREAD 4NL to 50NL IN 6 MONTHS

ALAN_18ALAN_18 Member Posts: 225
edited April 2019 in Poker Chat
Hello every one :smile: After making my first thread here on the Sky forum I was pleasantly surprised at how many people popped in and gave me good genuine advice. So for those of you who popped in thanks again :smile:

@Duesenberg @kapowblamz @KOBAYASHI @Tikay10 @alancarr12 @Jac35 @H3nry @Itsover4u @MynaFrett

I really like the atmosphere here on Sky and like I said in my last thread I am using this thread as a dairy of sorts which will document my journey from 4nl to 50nl. I think that keeping a dairy will keep me motivated to stick to my goals and also it can be used as sort of training journal as I will be posting hands and talking about what I am currently reading (poker books) and what concepts I have been learning. Also what training videos I have been watching and I think it is just nice to talk to other dedicated players about anything poker related.

I don't really want to go in to too much detail about my personal life as of now but I will say that certain circumstances have occurred and I now have much more time on my hands. I enjoy poker so much that I want to put a lot of time and effort in to becoming a good player. Hearing that @alancarr12 was playing 20nl on here 4 years ago it proves that hard work and dedication can get you to where you want to be. Basically I just want to see how far I can go and I am willing to put a lot of effort in to achieve this.

I have been playing poker on and off here and there for 3 years I would guess. I have played NLHE, PLO & 8 game. I first started playing (Double or Nothing, Sit & Go's) £1.10 stake on Bet365. I quickly become bored of them as I like a little bit more action so I started jumping in the cash games and was getting totally hammered.

I purchased BlackRain79's first book called "Crushing the Micros" and big credit to BlackRain79 as I can honestly say that book made me a winning player more or less overnight. It is a simple book and easy to follow and just goes over all the basic concepts and strategies required to beat 4nl and 10nl. I also then started creating my own personalised opening ranges, 3bet ranges, cold calling ranges, bb vs sb ranges etc I have also read (The Theory of Poker) which is a little bit dated and some of what he teaches will not work in todays games but on the whole it is a great book and like (Crushing the Micros) they are both a must read for any poker player who wants to start taking the game seriously.

Well there's my first post out the way, hope you lot pop in and follow my journey. I will try my very best to make it an interesting and fun read. GL at the tables everyone. GG :smiley:

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2019
    After listening to other more experienced players I have decided not to make monetary goals and just set volume goals.

So since last Monday 15th I decided I was going to average 5 hours of play per day, so that's 35 hours a week. I also want to spend an hour a day either reading a poker book or watching training videos on YouTube and the likes. If anyone wants to recommend any good books or videos to watch that would be great. Big thanks again to @Duesenberg for his recommendations :smile:

So last week I didn't manage to get the 5 hours per day in but I did manage to get the 35 hours in for the week. I am not too bothered about individual days as long as at the end of the week I meet my 35 hour target.

I will be posting weekly updates with details on how many hours I have put in and what I have won or lost but I am really trying to not even bother looking at my balance as there is no need. I have it covered up in the lobby as I think obsessing with your balance just effects you in a bad way mentally.

I will be posting the updates on Sundays. But here are last weeks results and a current update of this week.

WEEK 1 (15/4 - 21/4)
    HOURS PLAYED - 35.33
    PROFIT/LOSS - +£270
    BANKROLL - £270

The total profit is a mix of poker profit, micro madness promo and weekly cash bonus. I ran really hot and I think I played well as I was really excited to get my challenge going. I started with £50 and have withdrew that from my balance so my bank roll now is just profit.

As for studying I have been reading "The Theory of Poker" again and watching some videos on YouTube by Jared Tindler of mental game therapy and Charlie Carrell put out a really good one where he is coaching a lady friend of his at 50NL Zoom on Stars.

I am not going to post this weeks results until Sunday like I said but I will say now that after my incredible heater last week the tables have turned and I am currently 22 hours in to a break even spell :wink: I know 110% that I am a winning player at 4NL so this BE spell is no bothering me as much as it would at a higher stake that I am not sure I can beat.

I know I could move up now with 27 buy-ins for 10NL but I just want to put a few weeks in at 4NL to slowly build my bank roll. I have decided the best approach for me is to be a BR nit. I have a plan in my mind as to how long I want to be spending at each stake and I will be posting it in a fresh page.

GL all and thanks for reading :smile:
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    "I think that keeping a dairy will keep me motivated..."

Looking to milk poker for all you can I see ;)

Best of luck with this, I'll be following with interest. I also did a challenge diary last year and it was definitely a big help on the motivation side of things.
  • Options

"I think that keeping a dairy will keep me motivated..."

Looking to milk poker for all you can I see ;)

Best of luck with this, I'll be following with interest. I also did a challenge diary last year and it was definitely a big help on the motivation side of things.

Do you have a link to your thread or an you remember the name of it so I can put it google ? Really keen to see how you got on mate ? :smiley: How's the tables going for you tonight anyway @Duesenberg ?
  • Options
    There's a link to it below.

It kind of ran out of steam a bit really but I did at least manage to complete my challenge (albeit with the help of one big fortunate tourney score at the end).

https://skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby/community/forums#/discussion/172869/duesenbergs-2018-challenge-10k-profit
  • Options
    Oh, and I've had a night off so far but might fire up some early morning tables soon :)
  • Options
    Cool, going to have a read through that now mate. Get the smart **** comment about milking poker as well haha guess I am going to have to keep an eye on my spelling in this thread. Good to take the pi55 now and then though :smiley: GL if you manage to play a bit this morning.

Do you ever bother with them spin ups ? Something crazy happened earlier on I was opening my usual 6 tables of 4nl and I will also open the highest stakes running and watch one table of that for the action while I am playing my game. Anyway it was a £5/10 table and before I know it I am sat in the bb with £20 in front of me. I bought in for the max thinking it was my 4NL table as I loaded them up at the same time.

There is @alancarr12 and @FeelGroggy at the table and I am like 5hit, what have I done here. I manage to make a straight on the river with my first hand and checked it to the btn who checked back. I won a £60 odd pot anyway then sat out. Should of bet the river really but I wasn't thinking straight to be honest. I explained to the lads at the table that I am not hit n running over £60, £30 of what I invested myself. That is when @FeelGroggy told me not to play these spins if I am doing a forum challenge.

So he must of read my thread and decided rather than try and keep the fish at £5/10 table give him some nice friendly advice and tell me not to play these spins with my roll which I thought was a very nice thing to say. Most people would of tried to keep me at the table as long as they could to take my money but I was as if this guy had read my thread and knew my circumstances and thought get him out of here as he could loose his full roll in a few hands. That is the way it come across to me anyway, so @FeelGroggy if that is how it went down respect mate :smiley:
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,090

Been waiting for this, & the Spin Up Table tale is a great start.

The actions of @FeelGroggy don't surprise me one iota, that's exactly what I'd expect him to do in that spot. Proper bloke.

Will follow this with interest.
  • Options
    K0BAYASHlK0BAYASHl Member Posts: 2,027
    Feelgroggy always seems to want to help which is really good, along with a few other regs. It’s a great community and Im sure we will see you at 20nl within a month.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    GL with this. Just an idea (stolen from one of the top MTT guys diary/blog) but every hour rate your play out of 10 and keep a record of it while you play. Having non monetary goals is good but I think one trouble with purely volume based can lead to auto piloting and playing for the sake of it and not playing at our best.
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    Haha I clocked you at the £5/£10 spin up table last night and thought this might be a fun... but short diary! GL will follow
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    Glgl! Will follow
  • Options
    engyengy Member Posts: 723
    Good luck Alan will follow your progress with interest. Thinking of doing one myself, might help with bankroll discipline 😀
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    In terms of watching other games, I wouldn't bother with spins if you are playing 100bb+ if you are watching as a learning aid. Sometimes these games can get deep but you will be better watching the highest available 100bb game even if its only say 100nl. I know its fine watching big value pots but with spins until there gets a decent bit of money on the table its lots of standard 10-20bb shove and calls.
    I think you may gain more from watching the level above what you are playing and making some notes on these players. Years back I used to have certain players I liked the game style of and I would watch these players to see what I could pick up from them.

If you are just watching for fun then spins is great fun to watch.
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Hi Alan. Was fun chatting with you for a bit last night at the tables but not so fun playing against you - I jumped in just to see what you were like sort of expecting you to be standard TAG... nope, so LAG! :o I think you 3 bet my opens more times in that hour and a half than I'd been 3 bet in total at 4nl previously... and I've played 4nl with @Angmar2626 @Duesenberg @JJBinks and @Allan23 :D (those were some fun games)

It looks like you already have a following of people on board with this who are extremely knowledgeable and experienced in poker and also generous with regards to sharing that knowledge and experience. You also write really well - funny story about the Spin up table :D I sometimes watch the higher stakes cash and Spins as well. Was watching a spin up table the other night and one guy was sat with £4.5k in front of him, nobody could win enough flips against him to chip up to 40bb and maybe start playing some poker... crazy high variance games.

glgl
  • Options
    kapowblamzkapowblamz Member Posts: 1,527
    edited April 2019
    Trying to insert Alan GIF but failing so here's the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNfQda8ceGs

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,341
  • Options
    What the ****. I used a few embed codes but got nothing.

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,341

What the ****. I used a few embed codes but got nothing.

You right click the image, save it, then post it here as a picture file.
  • Options
    No way ha. That's what I always do with pics. I need to think inside the box more.
  • Options
    68Trebor68Trebor Member Posts: 1,943

Good Luck with this, will follow with interest and will no doubt meet you on the tables soon.