You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    Sir Michael Palin
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015
    Day 6.

A very strange night in what was generally a bad session at the tables, until the very last game which salvaged things to record a small profit.

I started playing at 16:10 and during the first 3 hours I had managed to get AA aipf 4 times.....and lost every single time. To really top things off I also got kings all in only to run them into AA and naturally the aces held. All this before 8pm.

I didn't know whether to laugh, cry or throw my laptop out of the window. In over 10 years of playing poker I am struggling to remember a more brutal start to session. I have had aces cracked multiple times in an evening before, we all have, it's part of the game, but I've never had it happen in such a short space of time at the very start of a session.

The battle now is to try and not lose your head or let it affect your game, because while you're running bad in some games you're still playing in others. I did remain calm(ish) but unfortunately, with confidence low, my game went to pieces and I thought it would be best to call it a night and de-reg from any remaining games. I did make the final table of my final game but I'd be lying if I said I played well.

By far the most testing time of the challenge!

16:10 - £1.60 Main Sat (X)
    16:15 - £2.20 Deepy (X)
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    17:10 - £1.60 Main Sat (X)
    17:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    18:15 - £2.20 rebuy (1 rebuy, 1 addon)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X £2.34 head prizes)
    19:00 - £7.70 BH (X)
    19:15 - £2.20 Deepy (X)
    20:00 - £2.20 BH (X)
    20:15 - £11 BH (3rd £53.41 + £3.75 head prizes)

Start BR: £100
    Current: £393.89
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Nice recovery Waller and hats off to you for bailing once your mind was no longer in the right place. A lack of that sort of discipline has been the downfall of many a good player.
  • Options

Nice recovery Waller and hats off to you for bailing once your mind was no longer in the right place. A lack of that sort of discipline has been the downfall of many a good player.

Ty mate. That passively/poorly played QQ was an example of where my head was at. I think it would have been foolish to continue playing, especially during a challenge with little room for error.
  • Options
    Day 7.

Not the best night. It's been a bit of a struggle for the past two nights now, it all seems pretty standard stuff, missing flops, not hitting draws etc. I think I may be trying to force matters too much.

18:15 - £2.20 Rebuy (1 rebuy)(X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    19:00 - £7.70 BH (X £7.89 head prizes)
    19:15 - £3.30 Orfy (X)
    20:15 - £11 BH (X £12.19 head prizes)
    20:30 - £5.50 Megastack (X)
    20:30 - £5.50 Mini (X)

A night off is in order so won't be playing tomorrow. I'm spending the day/night with the missus and kids. My eldest daughter finished her exams today and has officially left school so I'm treating her to day of shopping and a meal out. She deserves a treat after all the hard work she has been putting into her studies these past few weeks. It only seems like yesterday when she was a toddler and now adulthood is just around the corner. She has blossomed into a beautiful and caring young woman and I couldn't be more proud of her. I remember family and friends used to tell us to cherish the time when our kids were young because it soon flies by. They were right!

Current: £358.57

• Options
    Day 8.

Last night I got home quite late, a bit merry and very tired. For some reason I decided to have a couple of games. Didn't last long in an £11 and then fell asleep halfway through a £5.50. Oh dear! I almost played the Midnight Express but de-reg last minute, good job too.

Probably won't get chance to play today so will be back at the tables tomorrow.

Current: £342.07
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Day 9.

After Saturday's foolish attempt it was back to the tables in a more sensible manner tonight. I did intend to play yesterday but was feeling under the weather.

I'm still not playing that well but there was slight improvement and I have at least stopped the rot and ended in slight profit for the night after a 2nd place finish in a £5.50 BH. I guess you have to settle for any winning session, especially when you're a player of my limited ability. I'm enjoying the game again though which is the main thing.

17:30 - £5.50 BH (2nd £37.52 + £25.41 head prizes)
    18:15 - £2.20 Rebuy (1 rebuy, 1 addon)(X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X £1.88 head prizes)
    £2 won in the 20:30 freeroll (every little helps).

I was reading @Duesenberg post in his diary regarding optimum table count and upon awaking 2 hours later I realised he makes a really good point. I play my "A" game (if you can call it that) whilst playing 1-3 tables, when playing 5-6 tables my level drops to more like my "C" game, which isn't ideal.

I was always under the impression that volume was key to coping with the swings involved when playing MTTs but if your standard of play is affected by playing more tables is it the best approach?

Any readers may have noticed that during the week I don't reg for anything starting later than 20:30. This will be be changing from now on as I've been pestered into joining a gym by my daughter (she is using me for a lift), so I will be dragged along there 3 nights a week. Therefore I shall be playing longer sessions on the nights that I have free for poker. Pretty sure the gym won't last anyway.....

Current: £365.38

• Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,201
    Dont be surprised if your poker improves with your fitness levels. Research would suggest there's a correlation between better health and better poker results.

If that doesn't get me a months complimentary pass to Pure Gym nothing will
  • Options
    Research has also suggested that pork pies and beer are far more enjoyable than treadmills.
  • Options
    waller02 said:

Day 9.

After Saturday's foolish attempt it was back to the tables in a more sensible manner tonight. I did intend to play yesterday but was feeling under the weather.

I'm still not playing that well but there was slight improvement and I have at least stopped the rot and ended in slight profit for the night after a 2nd place finish in a £5.50 BH. I guess you have to settle for any winning session, especially when you're a player of my limited ability. I'm enjoying the game again though which is the main thing.

I was reading @Duesenberg post in his diary regarding optimum table count and upon awaking 2 hours later I realised he makes a really good point. I play my "A" game (if you can call it that) whilst playing 1-3 tables, when playing 5-6 tables my level drops to more like my "C" game, which isn't ideal.

I was always under the impression that volume was key to coping with the swings involved when playing MTTs but if your standard of play is affected by playing more tables is it the best approach?

Any readers may have noticed that during the week I don't reg for anything starting later than 20:30. This will be be changing from now on as I've been pestered into joining a gym by my daughter (she is using me for a lift), so I will be dragged along there 3 nights a week. Therefore I shall be playing longer sessions on the nights that I have free for poker. Pretty sure the gym won't last anyway.....

Only 2 hours? You're clearly a very quick reader then :D

It's always tricky getting the right balance between table count and playing your best. Although going all out to get as much volume in as possible can be the best way to maximise your hourly, I've always preferred taking a higher winrate over a slightly better hourly as it make for a far less swingy and stressful experience.

I have both pork pies and a treadmill in my house and can confirm the former brings me much more pleasure than the latter :)

Keep up the good work. It all seems to be going very nicely indeed!
  • Options

waller02 said:

Day 9.

Only 2 hours? You're clearly a very quick reader then :D

It's always tricky getting the right balance between table count and playing your best. Although going all out to get as much volume in as possible can be the best way to maximise your hourly, I've always preferred taking a higher winrate over a slightly better hourly as it make for a far less swingy and stressful experience.

I have both pork pies and a treadmill in my house and can confirm the former brings me much more pleasure than the latter :)

Keep up the good work. It all seems to be going very nicely indeed!
    Yeah you're right. More often than not I'm playing 4 tables, which I am more than comfortable with. If I have 6 tables on the go it's because I've gone deep in my earlier games. Any more than 6 then both my laptop and I really start to struggle.

Regarding the challenge, I think getting off to such an unsustainable start in the first couple of days was a bad thing in a strange sort of way. Now I'm back to more realistic progress it's a bit of an anti climax. Just nit picking though, profit is profit.

You on the other hand are going from strength to strength. You are allowed a losing night you know, you risk losing readers by winning every night, it's getting boring mate. Seriously though, impressive progress keep it up :)
  • Options
    Hahahahaha spat my morning coffee all over myself when I opened that post. Vwp.

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Day 10.

Half decent night tonight with 3 final tables, including one win in a £2.20 deepstack, pushing my BR to the highest it's been since the start of the challenge.

Had the pleasure of sharing one of those final tables with @MynaFrett . Well I say pleasure but in reality he was the one who sent me packing. I would rather he be the one to have my chips over the rest of the table though, top bloke who even on the receiving end of a bad beat will send a smiley face and wish everyone gl.

I've made to decision to drop the 7@7 BH from the schedule as it is def one of my bogey tournaments and I think it would be wise to replace it with a standard structure £11 BH, probably the 19:45. I bet the £11 regs are rubbing their hands in glee are quaking in their boots.

16:15 - £2.20 Deepy (1st £37)
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (4th £20.24 + £13.72 head prizes)
    16:40 - £1.60 Main Sat (seat to semi, bust semi)
    18:15 - £2.20 Rebuy (1 rebuy, 1 addon) (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X £5.64 head prizes)
    20:00 - £2.20 BH (X £2.25 head prizes)
    20:15 - £11 BH (5th £30.95 + £12.19 head prizes)
    21:30 - £11 BH (X)

No poker tomorrow as it is my first night at the gym. I shall struggle to sleep with the excitement!

Current: £421.27

• Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    3 FT's and a win :o Great session, well done. Bankroll looking tidy too, not as tidy as @Duesenberg 's, as you say, but don't forget that - as well as being a fish on a heater - he has also played greater volume with a higher ABI ;)

You're always very self deprecating with regards to your game but I've always felt that you're the opposite of almost every other poker player in so far as you're much better than you think you are...

I may as well chime in on the table count debate as well while I'm here; I have been taking the lowest average buy-in + maximum volume route for my sessions across a few sites which often sees me playing upwards of 9 tables (as many as 12 at times). Whilst it's tough to play every spot as well as I probably can/should be able to with fewer tables, I feel like the increased table count has actually helped me get back to basics and cut out some of the silly stuff I can be guilty of when playing fewer tables.
    I think it is generally accepted that as table count increases (over a certain number) ROI decreases but it really is horses for courses in my opinion.

Enjoy the gym :)
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,748

Congrats to your Daughter on finishing her exams, & to you for this;

Impressive stuff.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    MynaFrett said:

3 FT's and a win :o Great session, well done. Bankroll looking tidy too, not as tidy as @Duesenberg 's, as you say, but don't forget that - as well as being a fish on a heater - he has also played greater volume with a higher ABI ;)

You're always very self deprecating with regards to your game but I've always felt that you're the opposite of almost every other poker player in so far as you're much better than you think you are...

I may as well chime in on the table count debate as well while I'm here; I have been taking the lowest average buy-in + maximum volume route for my sessions across a few sites which often sees me playing upwards of 9 tables (as many as 12 at times). Whilst it's tough to play every spot as well as I probably can/should be able to with fewer tables, I feel like the increased table count has actually helped me get back to basics and cut out some of the silly stuff I can be guilty of when playing fewer tables.
    I think it is generally accepted that as table count increases (over a certain number) ROI decreases but it really is horses for courses in my opinion.

Kind words, thankyou. Fwiw I could say exactly the same about your game. You never seem to give yourself enough credit, when in reality you're one of the best small stakes MTT players on the site, without a shadow of a doubt. You will probably try to say otherwise, but I'm confident that most people who regularly play against you at the stakes we play would agree with me.

As far as my opinion of my game goes, I'm just a realist. The stats don't lie. I've played the game for over 10 years now and the problem was that up until recently I believed that you could eventually become a great player simply by playing and gaining experience.

I had a reasonable 2011/12 where my results improved and at the time I thought great, I've cracked it and expected my game to progress to the next level. Of course that was never be going to the case with just playing alone. You can learn the fundamentals and become a break even/marginal winning player by playing but if you really want your game to progress then you need to put the hours in away from the tables and study.

The best players on this, and any site, aren't up there by luck. They are winning main events on a regular basis because they work hard on their game. I guess it depends what you want from your Poker. If you're happy winning a few bob here and there and are not particular bothered about improving then that's fine, of course it is. But it's only been recently that I've questioned my game and wondered how I've never really progressed in 10 years. The answer is simple, I've never studied. If you'd have asked me what GTO was as little as 2 years ago I have said "a car".

About a year ago now @StayOrGo was kind enough to spare some of his time on Skype, discussing ranges, 3betting etc. and at the time I thought right I've studied now, the results will come. I soon realised that it doesn't work like that, you have to work hard on your game on a regular basis and to be quite honest I was too busy and couldn't be bothered.

It's only been these past few weeks where I have REALLY started wanting to improve and wanting to learn.

@Itsover4u has spent a LOT of time on Skype discussing hands, strategy and recommending training sites etc. Thanks again Danny for all your time.

So yeah, that's where I'm at. I'm studying, almost daily, and then doing the hard part which is to take what you study and try to incorporate it into your game. When you have been playing a set way for 10 years it's not easy but I'm enjoying it.

I'm under no illusions that I may never get to a level where I'm playing the 33's,55's or the 110's on a daily basis and I'm fine with that but there is no harm in trying. I enjoy playing poker, whether it be a £2.20 deepstack or a £33 Main event.

Apologies, ended up being a proper waffle!
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Congrats to your Daughter on finishing her exams, & to you for this;

Impressive stuff.

Thanks Tikay. Enjoyed your Vegas update, looks like you're a grand time (bar the poker that is).
  • Options
    waller02 said:

MynaFrett said:

Kind words, thankyou. Fwiw I could say exactly the same about your game. You never seem to give yourself enough credit, when in reality you're one of the best small stakes MTT players on the site, without a shadow of a doubt. You will probably try to say otherwise, but I'm confident that most people who regularly play against you at the stakes we play would agree with me.

As far as my opinion of my game goes, I'm just a realist. The stats don't lie. I've played the game for over 10 years now and the problem was that up until recently I believed that you could eventually become a great player simply by playing and gaining experience.

I had a reasonable 2011/12 where my results improved and at the time I thought great, I've cracked it and expected my game to progress to the next level. Of course that was never be going to the case with just playing alone. You can learn the fundamentals and become a break even/marginal winning player by playing but if you really want your game to progress then you need to put the hours in away from the tables and study.

The best players on this, and any site, aren't up there by luck. They are winning main events on a regular basis because they work hard on their game. I guess it depends what you want from your Poker. If you're happy winning a few bob here and there and are not particular bothered about improving then that's fine, of course it is. But it's only been recently that I've questioned my game and wondered how I've never really progressed in 10 years. The answer is simple, I've never studied. If you'd have asked me what GTO was as little as 2 years ago I have said "a car".

About a year ago now @StayOrGo was kind enough to spare some of his time on Skype, discussing ranges, 3betting etc. and at the time I thought right I've studied now, the results will come. I soon realised that it doesn't work like that, you have to work hard on your game on a regular basis and to be quite honest I was too busy and couldn't be bothered.

It's only been these past few weeks where I have REALLY started wanting to improve and wanting to learn.

@Itsover4u has spent a LOT of time on Skype discussing hands, strategy and recommending training sites etc. Thanks again Danny for all your time.

So yeah, that's where I'm at. I'm studying, almost daily, and then doing the hard part which is to take what you study and try to incorporate it into your game. When you have been playing a set way for 10 years it's not easy but I'm enjoying it.

I'm under no illusions that I may never get to a level where I'm playing the 33's,55's or the 110's on a daily basis and I'm fine with that but there is no harm in trying. I enjoy playing poker, whether it be a £2.20 deepstack or a £33 Main event.

Apologies, ended up being a proper waffle!
    Great post and it's really good to see your renewed enthusiasm is backed by getting on the study grind too. I've no doubt you'll continue to see good results with that attitude.

Fwiw, in my admittedly limited experience, the stake level doesn't necessary mirror the toughness of games - the £33 main events are usually a fair bit softer on average than most £22 games. If things continue to go well then I'd recommend you look to add the nightly Main's before the £22's. Given that there is only one £33 per night, it shouldn't have a hugely dramatic effect on your average buy-in figure over a session as a whole.

I'd also agree with your assessment of @MynaFrett. Would love to see him have a little more faith in himself and take some bigger shots :).
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    MynaFrett said:

This is actually pretty interesting. I've always thought of you @MynaFrett as really a decent player with a tendency to overthink/overcomplicate things, so actually maybe there is some merit to playing more tables so that you don't have time to have a huge confusing debate with yourself over every hand, and can just play the spot how you know :D Nice results atm