You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015

Bump ;)

Fresh from being Mr Leo'd myself lol.....called it :)
  • Options

Best of luck with this Waller.

Motivation has been one of my biggest challenges in poker over the last couple of years and doing challenges on here with some level of public accountability has really helped, as well as making poker a little more fun too :)

Ty mate.

Just about to do the first update now. This challenge really helped with the motivation so far because:

a) It's pretty intense knowing the challenge could be over with a couple of bad sessions.
    b) More importantly, there is male pride at stake and it would be a difficult first update if I had to post saying I'm already up the creek after the first night, which was quite possible!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Night 1.

As I said, it was pretty crucial that I got off to a reasonable start. I was in for over £30 in buyins and bricking the lot would have been bad. I would have settled for a small loss/break even, losing everything would have really piled on the pressure.

Luckily I've got off to the start that I needed, in fact I'm even annoyed at busting the Megastack just now in 8th as a few spots higher would have really been significant, but I guess that's being greedy and I can't have any complaints.

So, tonight I played the following:

16:30 - £5.50 BH (12th £7.17 no heads)
    17:15 - £1.10 rebuy (0 rebuy 1 addon) (1st £33.60)
    17:30 - £5.50 BH (X no heads)
    18:00 - £2.20 BH (X no heads)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (3rd £59.14 + £21.44 Head Prizes)
    19:15 - £3.30 Orfy (X)
    19:15 - £2.20 Deepy (3rd £21.42)
    20:00 - £2.20 BH (1 head 0.75p)
    20:30 - £5.50 Megastack (8th £16.24)

There was one win in the £1.10 rebuy, wins are always nice but it would have been better if I could could have converted the other deep runs into wins, especially in the £1k BH and Megastack. At the end of the day though if I was offered this start at 4pm i would have snap accepted it.

I can now afford a few bad sessions, I know tomorrow night will almost certainly be a different story but it's good knowing that it won't be too damaging.

Relieved.....

Starting BR: £100
    Current: £225.76
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Here is exit hand from the Megastack.

Would appreciate some feedback please as I'm unsure about how I should have played it. The guy on button is the big chip leader and happy to limp with any 2 most hands, not helped by the fact he was flopping the world too.

Looking back at it now I'm wondering if I should have just shoved pre?
    Or is it fine as played? I'm guessing there is no getting away from it?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    waller02Small blind4000.004000.00115516.21
    sillymidBig blind8000.0012000.00102728.02
    Your hole cards
    • K
    thevalue24Fold
    MrLeoCall8000.0020000.00405598.23
    waller02Call4000.0024000.00111516.21
    sillymidCheck
    Flop
    waller02Bet14000.0038000.0097516.21
    sillymidFold
    MrLeoAll-in405598.23443598.230.00
    waller02All-in97516.21541114.440.00
    MrLeoUnmatched bet294082.02247032.42294082.02
    waller02Show
    • K
    MrLeoShow
    Turn
    River
    • J
    MrLeoWinTwo Pairs, 6s and 2s247032.42541114.44
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,201
    Good luck with this, hope it goes better than mine Im still at around starting stack after 3 and a bit months.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,727

Current: £225.76

Easy game. WP. So far......
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,638
    Nice start Ry and i donated like i promised, keep it up👍
  • Options
    Thanks all.

Looking forward to playing later although I'm fully aware that it probably wont be as profitable as last night.
  • Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,036
    Excellent start Ryan, keep it up mate as you will soon hit your target. Good luck at the tables
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    If their limping range includes hands like 62ss then I would be even more inclined to rip pre. Maybe prefer c/jam flop rather than lead.

Best of luck with this and great first day!
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    Hit the ground running indeed!

gg
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    waller02 said:

Ty both.

@MynaFrett I get the impression you also have a love/hate relationship with the game? It's not good is it, I really want to get the bug back, sometimes think I have then it fizzles out again.

Hoping this challenge can change that. I was actually itching to get playing today so that's something I suppose. A good start is crucial though or it will all be over in a couple of sessions.

Just wanted to try something new.

I've reg for all tonight's games and if I brick the lot it will be a significant dent lol.

It's much more love than hate but part of my problem is an addictive personality and I'm not very good at doing things I enjoy in moderation. With poker (and MTT's in particular) being such an emotional rollercoaster as well (we're not supposed to ride the rollercoaster of course but I find it impossible not to) it's easy to suffer from emotional and mental burnout in a relatively short space of time when you're playing most nights and putting in a lot of volume... even when results are positive.

These public bankroll challenges seem to work really well for people for the reasons yourself and Dues have mentioned.

Hope to see both the BR and your enthusiasm for the game continue to grow in the coming weeks.

gl
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

Good luck Rik Ryan B)

I forgot to say. If you bump into Rik can you tell him I want my jumper back please
  • Options
    Thanks all and ty @MattBates for the input on the hand
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    MynaFrett said:

waller02 said:

Ty both.

@MynaFrett I get the impression you also have a love/hate relationship with the game? It's not good is it, I really want to get the bug back, sometimes think I have then it fizzles out again.

Hoping this challenge can change that. I was actually itching to get playing today so that's something I suppose. A good start is crucial though or it will all be over in a couple of sessions.

Just wanted to try something new.

I've reg for all tonight's games and if I brick the lot it will be a significant dent lol.

It's much more love than hate but part of my problem is an addictive personality and I'm not very good at doing things I enjoy in moderation. With poker (and MTT's in particular) being such an emotional rollercoaster as well (we're not supposed to ride the rollercoaster of course but I find it impossible not to) it's easy to suffer from emotional and mental burnout in a relatively short space of time when you're playing most nights and putting in a lot of volume... even when results are positive.

These public bankroll challenges seem to work really well for people for the reasons yourself and Dues have mentioned.

Hope to see both the BR and your enthusiasm for the game continue to grow in the coming weeks.

gl
    Feels strange posting this as we are literally sat on the same table right now, but I don't want to appear ignorant on the forum lol.

I'm quite similar to you regarding having an addictive personality and I have to say you've summed it up perfectly.

Anyway.....are we ever going to see an @MynaFrett diary/challenge? Would be a great read.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    I hope you didn't suffer any chatbox abuse last night.
  • Options

I hope you didn't suffer any chatbox abuse last night.

There was one idiot with an unpronounceable alias on my right in the Megastack but fortunately he didn't stick around for long.
  • Options
    DazlerDazler Member Posts: 3,970
    Hey Waller Gl buddy. Glad to see your still here. I also took a long break as the game was grating on me a bit. As I remember we were both on here constantly back in the day. Always good to post updates on your progress i find it keeps you focused and a good way to keeping involved with other poker players. It can be lonely just playing on the tables and no one chatting so the forum is a good place to be.

Hopefully see you on some tables myself. If you start to not enjoy it then go do something else and play less than you used to. That works for me sometimes it feels like your just going through the motions rather than enjoying the game.

I wish you well with your challenge im sure you are very capable. GL buddy :)
  • Options
    Dazler said:

Hey Waller Gl buddy. Glad to see your still here. I also took a long break as the game was grating on me a bit. As I remember we were both on here constantly back in the day. Always good to post updates on your progress i find it keeps you focused and a good way to keeping involved with other poker players. It can be lonely just playing on the tables and no one chatting so the forum is a good place to be.

Hopefully see you on some tables myself. If you start to not enjoy it then go do something else and play less than you used to. That works for me sometimes it feels like your just going through the motions rather than enjoying the game.

I wish you well with your challenge im sure you are very capable. GL buddy :)

Cheers Dazler.

Congrats on your recent run of results. I always have a nosey in your thread to see how you're getting on.
  • Options
    Night 2.

I never expected to more than double my BR on the first night last night so it's safe to say that I REALLY never expected to double it again on the second night.

Good job really because I didn't, far from it.

This evening's schedule consisted of the following:

17:30 - £5.50 BH (X no heads)
    18:00 - £2.20 BH (X no heads)
    18:15 - £2.20 rebuy (1 rebuy, 1 addon) (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X no heads)
    19:15 - £2.20 Deepy (13th £4.39)
    19:45 - £1.10 Deepy (X)
    20:00 - £2.20 BH (4th £19.54 + £7.63 head prizes)
    20:30 - £5.50 Mini (X £5.64 head prizes)
    20:30 - £5.50 Megastack (15th £9.17)

The session got off to an absolute stinker and I was thinking it might be "one of those nights", especially after lasting all of 4 minutes in the 18:30 BH.

The problem was that I was being stalked by @MynaFrett who seemed to be on every table I was playing. He would not shut up at all, constantly chatting away and not letting me concentrate (ok it was probably the other way round).

Anyway we finally parted ways after I was kind enough to gift him my stack in the £2.20 rebuy. The rest of the session went reasonably ok. I finished just outside the money in the mini after flopping the nut straight and losing to runner runner flush, but I made a slight profit with the head prizes so it could have been worse.

Should really have at least made the final table in the 19:15 deepy as I was sitting 3/15 but went out in 13th for a min cash. I did however make one ft in the £2.20 BH busting in 4th in what was a really enjoyable final with 6th evenly matched stacks.

Sneaked into the money in the Megastack again to end the evening with a small profit. @tomgoodun was in really good shape when I bust so it could be yet another final table for him (lost count), hope he takes it down.

Not sure if I will get chance to play tomorrow as I'm under orders to take the missus and kids to the cinema to see Aladdin (anyone seen it? any good?).

Current: £236.23