You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,015

waller02 said:

MynaFrett said:

3 FT's and a win :o Great session, well done. Bankroll looking tidy too, not as tidy as @Duesenberg 's, as you say, but don't forget that - as well as being a fish on a heater - he has also played greater volume with a higher ABI ;)

You're always very self deprecating with regards to your game but I've always felt that you're the opposite of almost every other poker player in so far as you're much better than you think you are...

I may as well chime in on the table count debate as well while I'm here; I have been taking the lowest average buy-in + maximum volume route for my sessions across a few sites which often sees me playing upwards of 9 tables (as many as 12 at times). Whilst it's tough to play every spot as well as I probably can/should be able to with fewer tables, I feel like the increased table count has actually helped me get back to basics and cut out some of the silly stuff I can be guilty of when playing fewer tables.
    I think it is generally accepted that as table count increases (over a certain number) ROI decreases but it really is horses for courses in my opinion.

Enjoy the gym :)

Kind words, thankyou. Fwiw I could say exactly the same about your game. You never seem to give yourself enough credit, when in reality you're one of the best small stakes MTT players on the site, without a shadow of a doubt. You will probably try to say otherwise, but I'm confident that most people who regularly play against you at the stakes we play would agree with me.

As far as my opinion of my game goes, I'm just a realist. The stats don't lie. I've played the game for over 10 years now and the problem was that up until recently I believed that you could eventually become a great player simply by playing and gaining experience.

I had a reasonable 2011/12 where my results improved and at the time I thought great, I've cracked it and expected my game to progress to the next level. Of course that was never be going to the case with just playing alone. You can learn the fundamentals and become a break even/marginal winning player by playing but if you really want your game to progress then you need to put the hours in away from the tables and study.

The best players on this, and any site, aren't up there by luck. They are winning main events on a regular basis because they work hard on their game. I guess it depends what you want from your Poker. If you're happy winning a few bob here and there and are not particular bothered about improving then that's fine, of course it is. But it's only been recently that I've questioned my game and wondered how I've never really progressed in 10 years. The answer is simple, I've never studied. If you'd have asked me what GTO was as little as 2 years ago I have said "a car".

About a year ago now @StayOrGo was kind enough to spare some of his time on Skype, discussing ranges, 3betting etc. and at the time I thought right I've studied now, the results will come. I soon realised that it doesn't work like that, you have to work hard on your game on a regular basis and to be quite honest I was too busy and couldn't be bothered.

It's only been these past few weeks where I have REALLY started wanting to improve and wanting to learn.

@Itsover4u has spent a LOT of time on Skype discussing hands, strategy and recommending training sites etc. Thanks again Danny for all your time.

So yeah, that's where I'm at. I'm studying, almost daily, and then doing the hard part which is to take what you study and try to incorporate it into your game. When you have been playing a set way for 10 years it's not easy but I'm enjoying it.

I'm under no illusions that I may never get to a level where I'm playing the 33's,55's or the 110's on a daily basis and I'm fine with that but there is no harm in trying. I enjoy playing poker, whether it be a £2.20 deepstack or a £33 Main event.

Apologies, ended up being a proper waffle!
    Great post and it's really good to see your renewed enthusiasm is backed by getting on the study grind too. I've no doubt you'll continue to see good results with that attitude.

Fwiw, in my admittedly limited experience, the stake level doesn't necessary mirror the toughness of games - the £33 main events are usually a fair bit softer on average than most £22 games. If things continue to go well then I'd recommend you look to add the nightly Main's before the £22's. Given that there is only one £33 per night, it shouldn't have a hugely dramatic effect on your average buy-in figure over a session as a whole.

I'd also agree with your assessment of @MynaFrett. Would love to see him have a little more faith in himself and take some bigger shots :).
    Ok thanks, I shall bear that in mind going forward. It's a long way off yet though, I'd want to be at the £600 mark before I took the first shot.

Keep up the great work with your challenge mate.
  • Options
    Day 11

Another small winning session but the overriding feeling as I type is mild annoyance. In my last remaining MTT, the Megastack, I was sitting 6/16 in what is a very top heavy pay out structure. @Duesenberg was also still in on another table and I was in the middle of typing to him, I hit enter and it called a shove on my table for almost half my stack with utter garbage. It did still leave me with 12bb but I couldn't recover and went out in 12th....oh well lesson learned, pay attention, although I never knew hitting enter on the keyboard could result in you calling.

Was a fun night though, especially sharing 2 final tables with @MynaFrett (that £2.20 rebuy was crazy).

16:15 - £2.20 Deepy (2nd £22)
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    17:30 - £5.50 BH (X £1.88 head prizes)
    17:45 - £2.60 Sheriff Sat (X)
    18:15 - £2.20 Rebuy (1 rebuy, 1 addon) (3rd £45)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X £3.76 head prizes)
    19:15 - £3.30 Orfy (2nd £22.50)
    20:15 - £11 BH (X)
    20:30 - £5.50 Megastack (12th £9.38)
    20:30 - £5.50 Mini (1 rebuy) (X)
    21:30 - £11 BH (X £8.44 head prizes)

Went to the Gym as planned and actually enjoyed it. 20 minutes each on the Treadmill, Cross Trainer and Bike left me in a sweaty mess and burnt over 500 calories (if the displays are accurate). Going again tomorrow and Sunday morning. Have also joined the Fat Club thread to motivate me to lose a few pounds.

Back on the tables tomorrow with a similar schedule.

Start BR: £100
    Current: £465.43

• Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    No way, such a sick way to lose a stack. I did it myself a few times before someone told me to uncheck the 'Auto Focus My Tables' box in settings to prevent this happening :s
  • Options
    Also, congrat's on another winning session and getting stuck in at the gym - fair play.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    MynaFrett said:

No way, such a sick way to lose a stack. I did it myself a few times before someone told me to uncheck the 'Auto Focus My Tables' box in settings to prevent this happening :s

Is that on table settings? It was my own fault and Karma really as I was only giving Dues a bit of stick lol

EDIT: Just opened a free play table and found it. Unchecked and saved as default. Thanks for the info mate.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    Good job once more Waller.

Also, it was so very kind of you to return the favour after my ICM suicide a few days back :D.

In all seriousness though, I feel for you. That really sucks when you're that deep and have a decent stack.

Keep up the good work buddy!
  • Options

Good job once more Waller.

Also, it was so very kind of you to return the favour after my ICM suicide a few days back :D.

In all seriousness though, I feel for you. That really sucks when you're that deep and have a decent stack.

Keep up the good work buddy!

I'd have still had a job winning though, you steamrollered your way to the win. Well played mate.
  • Options
    Day 12

When your session is finished by 22:15 then it means one of two things.....you ran bad or you played bad. I played bad, in fact I can't remember being on the receiving end of any bad beats. I could either not build a stack or made some poor calls when I had a stack. There were a few coolers but in general it was bad play on my part.

Also, I was probably a bit too much of a station tonight. This hand below would sum it up. Is this fine or should I be folding turn?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    waller02Small blind15.0015.001825.00
    miniman88Big blind30.0045.004045.00
    Your hole cards
    royster09Fold
    ArrogantRaise90.00135.001680.00
    day4eire76Fold
    waller02Call75.00210.001750.00
    miniman88Call60.00270.003985.00
    Flop
    • J
    waller02Check
    miniman88Check
    ArrogantBet135.00405.001545.00
    waller02Call135.00540.001615.00
    miniman88Fold
    Turn
    waller02Check
    ArrogantBet300.00840.001245.00
    waller02Call300.001140.001315.00
    River
    • K
    waller02Check
    ArrogantCheck
    waller02Show
    ArrogantShow
    • J
    • A
    ArrogantWinPair of Jacks1140.002385.00
    Had a couple of cashes and only ended up £6 down for the evening so it's far from disastrous, but I must improve on tonight's performance.

15:00 - £7.20 Main Early Semi (X)
    15:30 - £5.50 BH (X £8.44 head prizes)
    16:15 - £2.20 Deepy (X)
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    17:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    17:45 - £2.60 Sheriff Sat (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (9th £14.32 + £15.30 head prizes)
    19:15 - £2.20 Deepy (X)
    19:45 - £11 BH (X)
    20:15 - £11 BH (10th £15.44 + £20.86 head prizes)
    20:30 - £5.50 Megastack (X)
    20:30 - £5.50 Mini (X)
    21:30 - £11 BH (X)

Will probably only play a small afternoon session tomorrow as I've got an early start on Monday.

Current: £459.59

• Options
    Day 13

Just played 6 tournaments this afternoon and managed 2 final tables and a few head prizes to finish with a small profit. Bit annoyed as I have just finshed 3rd in the £2.20 deepstack, where 2nd or 1st would have pushed me over the £500 mark. I also butchered AKo deep in the £11 BH otherwise it could have been a really good session.

14:15 - £2.20 Deepy (X)
    14:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    15:30 - £5.50 BH (X £10.79 head prizes)
    16:00 - £11 BH (X £8.44 head prizes)
    16:15 - £2.20 Deepy (3rd £18.09)
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (4th £27.95 + £4.22 head prizes)

Up early so logging off for the night.

Current: £497.18 (that bugs me far more than it should, really wanted to hit 500!)
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    edited June 2019

@Itsover4u has spent a LOT of time on Skype discussing hands, strategy and recommending training sites etc. Thanks again Danny for all your time.

Your more than welcome, I must of offered to help over a hundred people who moan about poker being rigged in the past (I know you have never mentioned poker being rigged) and I can count on 1 hand the amount of people that have taken the offer

• Options
    edited June 2019
    Itsover4u said:

Your more than welcome, I must of offered to help over a hundred people who moan about poker being rigged in the past (I know you have never mentioned poker being rigged) and I can count on 1 hand the amount of people that have taken the offer

It's a lot easier for them to blame the site rather than question their own game. When players like yourself offer to help then you should snap their hand off.
  • Options
    Day 14

Got back a bit later than usual tonight so only had a small session. I brought the 7@7 BH off the subs bench and it saved my night in an otherwise average performance.

I had a good half hour of table abuse from a guy that I dished a bad beat to a few nights ago, he had a pop then and couldn't wait to start piping up again tonight. He was providing free coaching though, although with a rating of 57 I'm not sure how much of his advice I should take on board. If he gets so wound up over a fiver game of poker then I dread to think how he reacts over something more serious.

Felt a bit out of my depth in the 11s tonight, had some tough tables but at least I can watch and learn. Plus I enjoy the challenge of testing myself against the better players.

Scraped a tiny profit and I'm over the £500 mark (for now).

17:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    18:15 - £2.20 Rebuy (1 rebuy) (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X £4.22 head prizes)
    19:00 - £7.70 BH (7th £22.35 + £20.36 head prizes)
    19:45 - £11 BH (X £3.75 head prizes)
    20:15 - £11 BH (X £3.75 head prizes)
    20:30 - £5.50 Mini (X)

Current: £501.21
  • Options
    Congratulations on passing the £500 mark. Onward and upward.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    I must be honest, I really misunderstood your thread title.

When you called it "The Potentially Short Bankroll Challenge", I thought it was pessimistic in its essence. I didn't realise you meant "I'm gonna build a bankroll and it probably won't take me very long" :D.
  • Options
    Thanks both.

I thought it would have been a short challenge as the potential to go bust was quite high. Didn't expect to get off to flyer and certainly didn't expect to get to the £500 mark so soon.

Now I'm here I should review the situation and set out some targets. The original plan was to add in some 22s if I got this far, but I will take @Duesenberg advice and aim for the 33s instead. Most of the 22s are small reg filled fields so I definitely think there is more value in the mains. I won't be taking a shot just yet though.

So, new targets:

1. Get to 1k - I will stick to the current schedule and will only drop the £11 mtts if I drop below £300. If I get to £600 then I will have my first shot at a main. If I drop below 600 then I will drop the mains.

2. Get to 5k - If I make it to 1k I will add a £55 to the schedule, again dropping it as soon as I fell below the 1k mark.

3. Get to 10k - This is the final target. Given that my lifetime profit is only 4k, I don't expect to build up a 10k roll but that's the challenge.

My gut feeling is that I won't achieve these targets, I'm not good enough yet, I'm due at least one substantial downswing and due to the fairly aggressive approach to BRM the risk of going busto is still quite high, but as previously mentioned, it wouldn't be the end of the world. Its effectively £100 on the line.
  • Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    Dont forget to look for overlay on the all in sattelites. Iv made a few hundred by doing basically nothing
  • Options
    Itsover4u said:

Dont forget to look for overlay on the all in sattelites. Iv made a few hundred by doing basically nothing

I've been reluctant to play them while I'm this early into the challenge. I always end up playing loads and not winning. If I get to point where I'm going to take my first shot then I will look for ones with overlay to try and win the buyin back I reckon.
  • Options
    MAXALLY said:

Still following your terrible steady progress Ryan. It has inspired me to go back to the levels I should be playing. Had some success at the 7.15 DS (a win/5th & 13th in last 3 I have played), and feel no pressure whilst playing them. The higher level games, I more often than not come unstuck, however I play. Hopefully, I can stem my proper downswing and look for some coaching later this year. (maybe even of you)

I also play miles too many of them sats. I am even running bad in them nowadays so have cut them right down. I saw TheBates enter 5 of them AIPF sats the other night. He won 6 of them.

Anyway, keep up the good and expected results.

One question though. What are you going to do after you hit 10K next month? ;)

#runlikewaller

Cheers Alan, nice results.

I feel the same as you, on the rare occasions I play a main event I have a niggle in the back of my mind saying "I'm out of my depth here" and instead of just playing my usual game I end up pulling off some stupid bluff or a dumb hero call. Afterwards I'm usually just thinking why did I just do that?!

As for the challenge, the 10k is really just a pipe dream. I think the 5k might be doable but more realistically the 1k+ is prob my level right now.

Good luck at the tables mate.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,727
    Congrats on hitting £500 so quickly @waller02

This must be THE most frustrating thing, I've done it myself on occasion, so kudos to whoever mentioned the workaround. (@MynaFrett or @Itsover4u ?).

"I hit enter and it called a shove on my table for almost half my stack with utter garbage."