You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    This seems like a must read, had a scan at the last page. Subbed!

GL!
  • Options
    NOSTRINOSTRI Member Posts: 1,459
    edited April 2020
    Welcome to run bad club.

Playing the £2 deepstacks sounds frightfully boring and seems like a massive overreaction. Stick to your usual games if you're still rolled for them and just drop the higher buy-ins until you get your confidence back.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    SR23 said:

I'm all for psychological barriers doing one. Hope you crush going forward. Peace out.

Cheers Steve, hope you're well
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@waller02

"First major blip since I started the diary"

It's only a major blip in your mind Ryan.

It's almost certainly just variance having some sport with you.

Possibly, I hope so anyway. There have been a couple of obvious mistakes, the kind where you know straight away. Ooops moments. I still think it's wise to drop a few of the 22s from the schedule until things turn around a bit anyway.

• Options
    Cammykaze said:

GL!

Thanks @Cammykaze

To save you having to read through from the beginning, I shall summarise:

Great start, lost a bit, won it back, won a main, lost ever since, moans a lot.

All good fun though.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    NOSTRI said:

Welcome to run bad club.

Playing the £2 deepstacks sounds frightfully boring and seems like a massive overreaction. Stick to your usual games if you're still rolled for them and just drop the higher buy-ins until you get your confidence back.

Awful club eh!

I actually don't mind adding the 2,20 deepy to the schedule tbh, it might get boring if the other tournaments have gone to pot and you're left one tabling it, but there is still over £100 quid up top so it's worth winning.
  • Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    FWIW here are the combined results of three of the top high volume guys in Sky 22s this year. Just the regular 22bh, not the rebuys. Think the 22s are obviously beatable for a decent ROI but realistically you have to be prepared for some swongs if you play them. They're not the cup of tea for a BR nit like me :)

I guess if you're playing the full schedule then it makes a lot of sense to play them but maybe not if you're having them as the top of your ABI. Definitely like your idea of still playing the 33s (better structure, better field) despite cutting 22s.

(Can delete post if any don't want their results posted)
  • Options

FWIW here are the combined results of three of the top high volume guys in Sky 22s this year. Just the regular 22bh, not the rebuys. Think the 22s are obviously beatable for a decent ROI but realistically you have to be prepared for some swongs if you play them. They're not the cup of tea for a BR nit like me :)

I guess if you're playing the full schedule then it makes a lot of sense to play them but maybe not if you're having them as the top of your ABI. Definitely like your idea of still playing the 33s (better structure, better field) despite cutting 22s.

(Can delete post if any don't want their results posted)

Yeah, the 22s are by far the toughest games in my current schedule, the fields tend to be quite small and as such there aren't that many good table draws. I do enjoy testing myself on a tough table, and I think you HAVE to sit down and play these guys if you want to improve. But when confidence is low and your other games aren't going great either then I think it's wise to step back for a bit and come back for another crack when the tide has turned a bit.
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    waller02 said:

Cammykaze said:

GL!

Thanks @Cammykaze

To save you having to read through from the beginning, I shall summarise:

Great start, lost a bit, won it back, won a main, lost ever since, moans a lot.

All good fun though.
    All I see is starting at 1k and from the last read £4k(ish) :smile:
  • Options
    Just a quick update.

The downswing is real. It's time to take action now and lower the average buyin for a while. Definitely no more 22s and even dropping the 33's. If I want to play to main then I'll try to get in via the semi.

Max buyin of £11 until the tide turns.

Mini UKOPs isn't going too well either, but it seems a good few of us in the side bet are in the same boat. I did get a few points on the board tonight though, but I would definitely prefer the profit!

Start BR: £100
    Current: £3730.76

Stay safe all.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    When a diary goes AWOL it's normally for one of 2 reasons. They have stopped playing or they are losing. I'm afraid in my case it has been the latter and with everything that has been going on in the World, sitting down and writing about how I'm losing at poker was towards the very bottom of my to do list.

It's been a torrid time of things on the tables and it has not been fun at all. It got to the point where I was questioning whether it is actually a "downswing" or the fact that I'm actually just pretty shite.

I have come to the conclusion it is a mixture of the two. It did start off as a downswing but the worse it got, the worse I played and the results have suffered to the point that I no longer look at my graph as it brings a tear to my eye. I honestly felt like withdrawing the lot before I lost it all, but decided on a small withdrawal and a 2 week break. The problem being now that even though there have been small signs of things improving, I still struggle to want to sit down and play.

The change of fortune has come about for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I really struggled to make adjustments to my game during the COVID poker boom. Most people were rubbing their hands with glee, I was playing terrible poker and trying to bluff the unbluffable. The games were full of unknowns (mostly crazy) and the variance was through the roof. With unknowns I think the best way to go is by assuming they won't fold until you have notes saying otherwise and it took me a long time to realise this!

Secondly, I have not put any (or a very little amount) of time into my game away from the tables. When you struggle to want sit down and play, then you certainly struggle to want to sit down and do any form of study. My coaching with Melty finished quite a while ago now and I still very much recommend that route, and particularly him, to anybody that wants to work on their game. It's no coincidence that I won only my 2nd ever main event midway through our sessions, that was purely down to him. He highlighted leaks I didn't even know I had. However, something I have quickly come to realise is that you can't finish a coaching package and assume that's it, you've "solved poker", you still need to work hard on your game in order to maintain good results.

I have now done the next best alternative to coaching (in my opinion) and surrounded myself with some poker buddies. I'm in a small group on Skype and they are 4 top blokes (both as men and players) as well as regularly looking in on the discord set up by @Danyo0 which also contains some great players who are always willing to discuss hands.

So, my knee has hit the canvas and I've taken an 8 count, but I'm not out yet. I'm going to up the study and try to turn things around.

Motivation and confidence is very low but I'm hoping that getting the diary going again can help with that. Updates will be far less frequent, probably weekly, but the challenge is back on.

Current: £3013.74
  • Options
    MynaFrettMynaFrett Member Posts: 724
    A lot of very good players struggled during that crazy lockdown period.

Can I just remind you of this?

Glad to see you back at it. GLGL
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264

@waller02

I'm not sure of a chronic lack of self confidence explains your success but I actually think it probably helps.

Every time you feel a little down on yourself, have a look at this;

• Options
    edited June 2020
    Tikay10 said:

@waller02

I'm not sure of a chronic lack of self confidence explains your success but I actually think it probably helps.

Every time you feel a little down on yourself, have a look at this;

All I see is this...

Current: £4623.64 sooo close to getting to 5k

I've always been in team glass half empty :)
  • Options
    MynaFrett said:

A lot of very good players struggled during that crazy lockdown period.

Can I just remind you of this?

Glad to see you back at it. GLGL

I discussed this point with a few people. Whether or not they preferred the covid boom or pre lockdown poker. I was the only one who preferred it "pre boom". Obviously the prizepools were insane but I was getting a proper spanking.
  • Options
    gregkdy82gregkdy82 Member Posts: 528
    If you handle these downswings so bad, why do you play only mtts? Why not play your favourite or most profitable mtts and grind some low stakes cash or sng alongside them. I had a look at your results and your last 3000 sng were quite profitable but you've not played any for years?

Personally I also struggle to handle downswings and it also makes me start to doubt my mtt play as I am still fairly inexperienced in these games. I have combated this by finding a good balance to my game selection so that I am still taking shots in the bigger more profitable tournies (which for me is main, mini and mid express) but spend the rest of my time grinding sng so i will still be in decent profit every month even if mtts go bad. Though I do hope to gradually up the ratio of mtts/sng played I am finding this to be a good system for keeping me happy and motivated as I have no real downswings.

If you are only going to be happy when your bankroll is on the rise then definitely you should think about game selection. You are never going to win constantly playing the games you have been.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,264
    edited June 2020
    @waller02

"So, my knee has hit the canvas and I've taken an 8 count, but I'm not out yet."

Last night's Mini.

waller02 0 4 £205.72 + £32.72 Head Prizes 4

• Options
    gregkdy82 said:

If you handle these downswings so bad, why do you play only mtts? Why not play your favourite or most profitable mtts and grind some low stakes cash or sng alongside them. I had a look at your results and your last 3000 sng were quite profitable but you've not played any for years?

Personally I also struggle to handle downswings and it also makes me start to doubt my mtt play as I am still fairly inexperienced in these games. I have combated this by finding a good balance to my game selection so that I am still taking shots in the bigger more profitable tournies (which for me is main, mini and mid express) but spend the rest of my time grinding sng so i will still be in decent profit every month even if mtts go bad. Though I do hope to gradually up the ratio of mtts/sng played I am finding this to be a good system for keeping me happy and motivated as I have no real downswings.

If you are only going to be happy when your bankroll is on the rise then definitely you should think about game selection. You are never going to win constantly playing the games you have been.

I don't really enjoy DYMs. I used to play them quite a lot yes but was average at best and couldn't compete with the regs so stuck with MTTs.

I know it doesn't sound like it, but I do enjoy MTTs, most of the time anyway. I know my mindset is shocking but it is what it is. I don't tilt "in game" as such but some nights I finish a session and wonder why I even bother playing. That's just the game though frustrating as **** sometimes, but mostly fun.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

@waller02

"So, my knee has hit the canvas and I've taken an 8 count, but I'm not out yet."

Last night's Mini.

waller02 0 4 £205.72 + £32.72 Head Prizes 4

I was dreaming of a ft jackpot briefly as I was sitting 9/30 in the Main until my demise. Going to try to find the hand actually as I'm still a bit unsure about it.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Here is my exit from last night's main. We are ITM and I'm 9/30.

Should I have just flatted the 10bb jam or is my play fine and it's just unlucky that the only guy in the blinds who has me covered wakes up with Kings? If I do just call should it be with the intention of folding if the bigger stack jams?

It just feels a bit dirty busting with 55bb and sitting 9th.
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    manosalexSmall blind600.00600.0092274.00
    mint2210Big blind1200.001800.0034888.12
    Your hole cards
    WombwellAll-in12031.6113831.610.00
    jimblueFold
    UGOTNOFANSFold
    waller02All-in67534.5281366.130.00
    manosalexAll-in92274.00173640.130.00
    mint2210Fold
    manosalexUnmatched bet25339.48148300.6525339.48
    manosalexShow