You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

20k in 2020!

Comments

• Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740

Side goals will be:
    -Improve at music production. I find producing really fun but it's still pretty alien to me coming from a classical background.
    -I hopefully should be able to play some evenings along the way and I've never actually won a £33 on Sky. Would be nice to do this!
    -Stack @Duesenberg on as many final table bubbles as possible :D

Just for that I've now decided my goal for 2020 is £21k in profit or Angmar's total plus £1 (whichever is the greater) B).

In all seriousness though, great to see you doing this and very best of luck :).
    That'll be about £1,001 then!

You'll beat me easily if you stop getting distracted/side-tracked by EVERYTHING!

"I was going to load up a big session but then I decided I'd always wondered about the inner workings of a lawnmower"
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm the epitome of a highly motivated single-minded poker focused machine.

By the way, did you know the UK's first commercially available electric lawn mower was Ransomes "The Electra" which first hit the shops in 1926? I've just been reading up on the subject for the last couple of hours and it's truly fascinating stuff...

Oh bug*er - I just missed a load of tournaments again :*
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,171

Geeky stuff. Love it. Keep it coming.
  • Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118

MattBates said:

Best of luck with this!

Tyty SenorBates - gl for 300k! :open_mouth:
    It will happen in no time with all the 5th and 6th place finishes I keep getting!

• Options
    Angmar2626Angmar2626 Member Posts: 886
    The sun run has to end at some point but not for now! Pretty stupid not to have had a losing session yet even in small softer fields but I'll take it.

Had a few drinks with friends yesterday and got back and played some 10nl whilst other half was writing cards. Probably not the best idea but luckily most other players were playing as if they'd also been out for a few drinks :tongue: won a couple of buy-ins to add to the roll. I feel vaguely comfortable with deeper stacks, but there's something about the start of tournaments where you have 200bb that I feel I make a lot of mistakes, especially against aggressive regulars. Always feels pretty silly punting off that many bb in some turn x/r spot when you know how many good opportunities would have come up later in the game :D

After today's MTTs, BR up to £1044 - past the 1k mark for the first time. Probably won't play too many different games until 2k, maybe some shots here and there :) At 2k I'd expect ABI to start to increase.
  • Options

Congrats on passing the magic £1,000 mark.
  • Options
    I think mindsets are different for cash compared to the start of MTTs. With cash you can just reload whereas with MTT when the stacks gone its gone so is often the wait for a better spot idea.

Do you have a standard schedule atm?

What do you think will be the harder part of the challenge? Making the big monthly numbers later on in the challenge so you hit the £20k or the start where swings can effect you a lot more?

Would you rather fight 1 horse sized duck or 100 duck sized horses?

Do you prefer to be a giver or a receiver...at Christmas time?

• Options
    Tikay10 said:

Congrats on passing the magic £1,000 mark.

Tyty! Funny how different £999 and £1000 feel mentally!
  • Options
    MattBates said:

I think mindsets are different for cash compared to the start of MTTs. With cash you can just reload whereas with MTT when the stacks gone its gone so is often the wait for a better spot idea.

What do you think will be the harder part of the challenge? Making the big monthly numbers later on in the challenge so you hit the £20k or the start where swings can effect you a lot more?

Hahahahaha, well...

I am a generous giver of course.

Ducks seem quite simple creatures (any duck experts feel free to contest that) so I reckon you could outsmart the one horse sized duck if it came to it.

Standard sched atm is all the daytime 5.50s, 3.30s and 1.1r on Sky and then anything up to 10 euros on the other site. The 11s on Sky I find quite swingy and even among the big guys (yourself included iirc) nobody is beating them for more than £4-5 per game according to my nerdy Scope sessions, so atm anyway I think I'll stay clear of them.

I was thinking about this, and when I've done a BRC before the first bit getting to 1k has taken forever, whereas this time I've run really well out of the gate. I think the hardest part will be once it gets into unknown territory for me and the bigger roll. Do you remember grinding up or did you just instantly become a big winner at midstakes? :D
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Don't EVER undestimate ducks, especially Mallards.

Here's what Wiki tells us about the most prolific dabbling ducks, Mallards.

The drakes that end up being left out after the others have paired off with mating partners sometimes target an isolated female duck, even one of a different species, and proceed to chase and peck at her until she weakens, at which point the males take turns copulating with the female. Lebret calls this behaviour "Attempted Rape Flight", and Stanley Cramp and K.E.L. Simmons speak of "rape-intent flights". Male mallards also occasionally chase other male ducks of a different species, and even each other, in the same way. In one documented case of "homosexual necrophilia", a male mallard copulated with another male he was chasing after the chased male died upon flying into a glass window. This paper was awarded an Ig Nobel Prize in 2003.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Don't EVER undestimate ducks, especially Mallards.

Here's what Wiki tells us about the most prolific dabbling ducks, Mallards.

The drakes that end up being left out after the others have paired off with mating partners sometimes target an isolated female duck, even one of a different species, and proceed to chase and peck at her until she weakens, at which point the males take turns copulating with the female. Lebret calls this behaviour "Attempted Rape Flight", and Stanley Cramp and K.E.L. Simmons speak of "rape-intent flights". Male mallards also occasionally chase other male ducks of a different species, and even each other, in the same way. In one documented case of "homosexual necrophilia", a male mallard copulated with another male he was chasing after the chased male died upon flying into a glass window.[81] This paper was awarded an Ig Nobel Prize in 2003.

100 duck sized horses it is then! :confused:
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    MattBates said:

To play devils advocate slightly, if this 'wait for a better spot' mentality is prevalent amongst MTT regs in the earlier/deeper stages of tournaments, doesn't this provide a +EV opportunity to exploit those tendencies by increasing our bluffing frequency - particularly in spots where we have a significant range advantage and/or blockers to the nuts?

Congrats on reaching the £1k mark Angmar!

What do you want the bankroll to get to before you start buying into the £33's on Sky as a matter of course? I do realise your opportunities for evening sessions are limited though.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

MattBates said:

Hahahahaha, well...

Ducks seem quite simple creatures (any duck experts feel free to contest that) so I reckon you could outsmart the one horse sized duck if it came to it.

Standard sched atm is all the daytime 5.50s, 3.30s and 1.1r on Sky and then anything up to 10 euros on the other site. The 11s on Sky I find quite swingy and even among the big guys (yourself included iirc) nobody is beating them for more than £4-5 per game according to my nerdy Scope sessions, so atm anyway I think I'll stay clear of them.

I was thinking about this, and when I've done a BRC before the first bit getting to 1k has taken forever, whereas this time I've run really well out of the gate. I think the hardest part will be once it gets into unknown territory for me and the bigger roll. Do you remember grinding up or did you just instantly become a big winner at midstakes? :D
    Sebastian and Dave my indian runner ducks are not simple and I find such a suggestion insulting! Pics of them in the thread later when I get back to even/when they wake.

Very early on I did well on party/stars but I struggled on sky (took me ages to adjust to the then super nitty no ante play on sky). I never really had a roll as such, just deposited when I needed to. It was a lot easier back then!
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,473
    Good luck with this

Favourite composer?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

MattBates said:

To play devils advocate slightly, if this 'wait for a better spot' mentality is prevalent amongst MTT regs in the earlier/deeper stages of tournaments, doesn't this provide a +EV opportunity to exploit those tendencies by increasing our bluffing frequency - particularly in spots where we have a significant range advantage and/or blockers to the nuts?

Congrats on reaching the £1k mark Angmar!

What do you want the bankroll to get to before you start buying into the £33's on Sky as a matter of course? I do realise your opportunities for evening sessions are limited though.
    Like you say, with being able to not play so many evenings (like 1 evening per week maximum) and with there only being one £33 available it's probably not so bad to just play it now with no rebuys if I'm playing an evening? Ideally I'd like to have at least £1650 for 50 buy-ins but one £33 a week is hardly going to affect my overall ABI.
  • Options
    MattBates said:

MattBates said:

Hahahahaha, well...

Sebastian and Dave my indian runner ducks are not simple and I find such a suggestion insulting! Pics of them in the thread later when I get back to even/when they wake.

Very early on I did well on party/stars but I struggled on sky (took me ages to adjust to the then super nitty no ante play on sky). I never really had a roll as such, just deposited when I needed to. It was a lot easier back then!
    Do you mean rubber ducks..?
  • Options
    Jac35 said:

Good luck with this

Favourite composer?

Tyty gl to you also.

Probably Sibelius or Tchaikovsky. Depends how I'm feeling. Even though they're obvious more traditional choices you can never go wrong with Mozart and Beethoven tbh!
  • Options
  • Options
    First 'bad' session and just got smashed by the deck. It happens! Managed to claw back a few cashes and win a 1r for slightly winning day. The streak continues! Will almost be glad when the losing session finally comes tbh as at the moment I'm thinking about keeping the streak going in the back of my mind and taking some lower variance lines in some spots where there is a higher EV line.

Thin brag 'shark' rating on scope. iirc it's $10+ per game over a sample of 100 or more games. It will disappear in the next few sessions as at the moment I'm probably actually making about £5 per game, but the overall ££ per game has been skewed by one really good session near the start.

BR: £1060

• Options
    MattBates said:

Very nice birds...

Should flag as explicit material!
  • Options

"Will almost be glad when the losing session finally comes tbh as at the moment I'm thinking about keeping the streak going in the back of my mind and taking some lower variance lines in some spots where there is a higher EV line."

I think that's a very valid point, it's natural to try to "protect" a streak, but it's almost always -Ev.

Hard to ignore it though.