You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

It's coming

Comments

• Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,305
    toutube this guy..easy to understand on a range of medical issues

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSwYGhmnwo
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,649
    edited March 2020
    madprof said:

Don't know whether to self isolate with my missus. She has diabetes, asthma, a slight heart abnormality, no auto immune system and o.s.a. which requires a c.p.a.p. device.

As her carer I have the yearly flu jab and also sleep with a c.p.a.p. machine but that aside am relatively healthy (weight issues aside).

The problem for us is that my mother who is over 80 and has 2 of the at risk indicators will have to self isolate for the required period but would also be dependant upon me to get her shopping etc. Ergo I'm not isolating and therefore am at risk of carrying any infection to my wife.

I have already taken the very difficult decision to step away from foodbank and the other community initiatives that our Church undertakes, especially as its times like these when we are most needed in the community.

I really feel that a rationing system may have to be introduced to ensure a fair supply of commodities for households should the pandemic prove more sustained than the "experts" think.

I also think that collectively as a society and also as individuals we are going to see moral boundaries challenged and many stories of heartbreaking news.

Italy are already making plans to triage cases and have said, if it comes to it, that the over 80s or those with 5 or more indicators of underlying poor health may be left out of the intensive care system. With only 5,000 respirators currently available in the UK its a scenario we may see considered here.

I don't know whether I'm going to go to work on Friday or just stop. The transfer of cash from hand to hand is probably one of the easiest ways to pass infections of all kinds around. like many I've got to do the sums and see if we can live without the money. Admittedly as its only a part time thing it may be easier than those of you who are losing the bulk of your income.

Good luck and stay healthy guys.

Mark

Mark...bookings will be limited and a long way away but online shopping solves the Mother's food needs without you going there? - wont do anything for her mental health without your personal interaction but needs must( Thats what we've done with my MILaw who is 84 and awaiting heart surgery and is 'unwell'...)

Best wishes for all concerned

D
    i,m afraid online shopping is a no unless you want to wait 17 days for a slot
    strange and worrying times indeed
  • Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited March 2020
    I see no reason to believe that supermarket shopping wonā€™t be any different that it will be in other countries One person goes out to shop for one abode. Queuing about 2m apart.
    Not everybody abides by the law though.
    Registering for things will become apparent.
    That could cause big trouble in itself.
  • Options
    On fb, friends of friends etc, the trend seems to be canceling tv packages and gym memberships.
    Next week itā€™ll be the eyebrows.
  • Options
    stokefc said:

madprof said:

Don't know whether to self isolate with my missus. She has diabetes, asthma, a slight heart abnormality, no auto immune system and o.s.a. which requires a c.p.a.p. device.

As her carer I have the yearly flu jab and also sleep with a c.p.a.p. machine but that aside am relatively healthy (weight issues aside).

The problem for us is that my mother who is over 80 and has 2 of the at risk indicators will have to self isolate for the required period but would also be dependant upon me to get her shopping etc. Ergo I'm not isolating and therefore am at risk of carrying any infection to my wife.

I have already taken the very difficult decision to step away from foodbank and the other community initiatives that our Church undertakes, especially as its times like these when we are most needed in the community.

I really feel that a rationing system may have to be introduced to ensure a fair supply of commodities for households should the pandemic prove more sustained than the "experts" think.

I also think that collectively as a society and also as individuals we are going to see moral boundaries challenged and many stories of heartbreaking news.

Italy are already making plans to triage cases and have said, if it comes to it, that the over 80s or those with 5 or more indicators of underlying poor health may be left out of the intensive care system. With only 5,000 respirators currently available in the UK its a scenario we may see considered here.

I don't know whether I'm going to go to work on Friday or just stop. The transfer of cash from hand to hand is probably one of the easiest ways to pass infections of all kinds around. like many I've got to do the sums and see if we can live without the money. Admittedly as its only a part time thing it may be easier than those of you who are losing the bulk of your income.

Mark

Mark...bookings will be limited and a long way away but online shopping solves the Mother's food needs without you going there? - wont do anything for her mental health without your personal interaction but needs must( Thats what we've done with my MILaw who is 84 and awaiting heart surgery and is 'unwell'...)

D
    Does she have an immediate neighbour who has been more fortunate in booking an earlier slot and add to their order?

Does she live where takeaways/ deliveries could work for some meals?

Box...just looking outside, really
  • Options
    Iā€™ve just logged on to the Ocado website...canā€™t see what the problem With accessing on line shopping delays that peeps are moaning about tbh....
  • Options
    stokefc said:

madprof said:

Mark

D
    Sorry Mark, just not true! Not 19 days...33 on Waitrose just
  • Options
    chilling said:

Thatā€™s the last one Iā€™m posting.

Irelandā€™s went up by 69. 30%rise today.
    I saw somewhere that Ireland were expecting 15k cases by March end.šŸ˜³
  • Options
    There are a lot of scams going on apparently.
    The elderly are targeted by scumbags who want to help them with their shopping.
    Then make off with their cards and cash.
  • Options
    Red_KingRed_King Member Posts: 2,850
    edited March 2020
    madprof said:

Iā€™ve just logged on to the Ocado website...canā€™t see what the problem With accessing on line shopping delays that peeps are moaning about tbh....

Please wait here - don't close or refresh this page

This page will automatically refresh in 9 seconds :|
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,445
    'Heartbroken': Family's tribute to UK's youngest coronavirus victim

A "wonderfully kind" father-of-two who was fighting motor neurone disease (MND) has become the youngest person to die after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK.
    Craig Ruston, from Kettering, died on Monday morning, six days after he became ill with a chest infection that was confirmed as COVID-19.
    The 45-year-old was among 14 further people to have died in England by Tuesday, bringing the UK's total number of coronavirus-related deaths to 71.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/heartbroken-familys-tribute-to-uks-youngest-coronavirus-victim/ar-BB11koe5?ocid=spartanntp
  • Options

This is what a genuine helper is likely to push through your letterbox.
    Not a knock on your door.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,649
    Lock down tomorrow army being prepared is what I've heard lets hope it's fake
  • Options
    stokefc said:

Lock down tomorrow army being prepared is what I've heard lets hope it's fake

Fake? You must be joking.
    If there are lockdowns, there will be a lot upset hardened criminals plus others who wonā€™t abide to any rules imposed.Are people unaware of that fact?
    Plus the usual troublemakers, burglars, all sorts.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Today was a bad day, not just for the countries with the most cases, but the list of countries is growing longer. This includesā€ third worldā€ or less affluent countries,which is bad news.

• Options
    Italy are having a real tough time obviously. They think this might be due to them having three generations often living together. Children in the developed world are a big problem, like a ā€˜ hot potatoā€™, no one is sure what the correct move is. At school they spread or catch it, at home they can infect others. Itā€™s a difficult one,as most show few symptoms if any. Then if at home,they need a parent there. This government has tried to keep the economy going for as long as possible.
    The ideal would be to have had at least three quarters of the work force catch it and recover from it. That would obviously be better for the economy. But we are just at the beginning, like most other countries. Thereā€™s no way of knowing what strategy will work, for any leader.
    Chinaā€™s Wuhan was closed completely down,easy to do for a communist country.
    Strangely no cases for North Korea, big trouble there then I suspect.
    Incidentally, Stoke says he has diabetes, there are about 3million with that condition in the U.K.?
    In the USA, there are over 30 million with diabetes, that rises to 100 million if you add the pre diabetes cases.
    It is now in the poorer countries, thatā€™s going to be very bad news. Even though there numbers are relatively low at the minute, they are rising.Which is bad news,as the richer countries are currently buying up all the medicines, etc. If all the countries have outbreaks at the same time, there is probably about 1% of the required medical equipment available to cover that scenario.
    If something isnā€™t found to slow this virus down during treatment,or even a vaccine,then millions are going to die. The only bit of good news for poorer countries, is that their immune systems are likely a lot stronger than in the developed world, as they have been exposed to more diseases.
    Unlike our children and us, who have had antibiotics do the job for us, which doesnā€™t bode well for a nasty disease as this one.
    There are so many folks with diabetes. That shouldnā€™t have been allowed to happen.
    To the most part, having proper sleep,eating well, and having exercise should equal no diabetes.
    But commerce comes first, junk food, sugary drinks etc.
    Self inflicted conditions only put more strain on the NHS.
    Then they moan about the wait for appointments, and a life of disorder.
    Iā€™m not talking directly to Stoke, as Iā€™m not sure how he got his condition.
    But if it was via putting **** into your body, then I am.
    Parents are still feeding their kids c rap food now. For how many years has the info been out there?Parents feeding their kids junk now, will be doing them no favors for when the next virus appears.

If you add up the number of pensioners in this country, maybe 11million,then all that could be regarded as falling in the vulnerable category, itā€™s likely just short of 30% of the population.
    Thatā€™s a worry.
    What might be a small plus is that the U.K. did stockpile medicines pre Brexit.
    Beds and respirators wouldnā€™t have been included obv.
    It might just fall on China to help the world out by manufacturing medical equipment badly needed by most nations. Although the USA will highly likely try to go it alone on that front.
  • Options
    I think itā€™s a cheap shot to criticize the Government during these times.
    Boris is just the mouthpiece, which is very obvious, as the scientists and the academics are the main guys supplying what they think is the correct way forward.
    I thought better of Phil until he came out with that. Lots of criticism,from the other thread, but never any ideas. I wonder why? Blinded by the loathing of Boris and this government I suspect.
    On that rather long post I made on the morning of the budget, there are some correct calls.
    A certain person just moans, never has any ideas,canā€™t accept a different point of view.
    Thatā€™s why you appeared on Markā€™s thread.
    Anyway, Iā€™ve had enough,so Iā€™ll leave you to yourselves. Have fun.
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,537
    I see, sinking ship and you row away in the lifeboat. cough! tart
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,085
    chilling said:

I think itā€™s a cheap shot to criticize the Government during these times.
    Boris is just the mouthpiece, which is very obvious, as the scientists and the academics are the main guys supplying what they think is the correct way forward.
    I thought better of Phil until he came out with that. Lots of criticism,from the other thread, but never any ideas. I wonder why? Blinded by the loathing of Boris and this government I suspect.
    On that rather long post I made on the morning of the budget, there are some correct calls.
    A certain person just moans, never has any ideas,canā€™t accept a different point of view.
    Thatā€™s why you appeared on Markā€™s thread.
    Anyway, Iā€™ve had enough,so Iā€™ll leave you to yourselves. Have fun.

It's not "cheap shots"-it is attempting to evaluate the biggest peacetime threat since 1918.

Experts need accurate data in order to utilise their expertise. It's not there. 2 examples:-

1. When we had a reported 2,000 cases, the main expert was asked if that figure was accurate-he said no. When asked if the true figure could be 55,000, he replied that that was entirely possible. If experts have no idea of the scale of infection, they cannot plan effectively
    2. All of the other reported figures are hopelessly inaccurate (with the probable exception of deaths). When official figures tell me 20 people are in a serious condition, and 35 died I am sure that the 20 is completely wrong. Or that 1% will die, but currently more people have died (104) than recovered (65)

No ideas? well, i was rather hoping that if we were going to rely on experts, we could give them meaningful figures to work with. That's not a criticism of this particular Government-it is a criticism of every Government since 1918, as we have no effective system for reporting. We have no disaster plan able to provide meaningful statistics.

2 ideas that seem blindingly obvious to me:-

1. Every household that hasn't got 1, should be entitled to a free thermometer. How many thousands of people are self-isolating without having taken their temperature?

2. If London really is 3-4 weeks ahead of the rest of the UK (as experts consistently say) then why (when experts all say all of this is time-critical) has London not got any different measures, particularly in relation to people commuting from outside London? Commuting to London is clearly totally different (from a health perspective) than to other major UK cities.
  • Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,397
    My car MOT runs out tomorrow.

Seriously considering letting it lapse, will I need the Ā£54 for food in a months time?