You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Essexphil's UKOPS diary

EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
So-UKOPS time.

Will this be the start of a revitalised Sky Poker, or the last hurrah? Time will tell. I hope it's the former.

Good things about this UKOPS? Obviously, it's subjective, but for me it is:-

1. Length. 11 days is perfect
2. Continued support of PLO and (particularly) PLO8
3. Looking forward to diaries, and particularly the @Itsover4u team thread

Downside? Impossible to please everyone, and quite possibly anyone. For me, it is:-

1. Lack of a leaderboard. I get that loads of people like to follow what some excellent players are doing in their challenge. I just prefer cold hard cash. Available to all.
2. Too many re-entry tournaments. Need more single entry tournaments. Or the little people, the life blood of poker, will realise that the deck is increasingly stacked against them. Before they start.

I intend to play most of the smaller ones, and hopefully sat in to the bigger ones. Update tomorrow.

Good luck

Comments

• Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Not another **** diary ffs.

GL mate. ;)
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,724
    Nice one Phil, I will follow your progress with interest, good luck.
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Gl Phil
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701
    Nice one Phil, GL out there.

A little off topic, but I was wondering what’s happened to your Grosvenor live package, are they moving tournaments online, or are they given you the cold hard cash, or something else?
  • Options
    StayOrGoStayOrGo Member Posts: 12,127
    Essexphil said:

So-UKOPS time.

Will this be the start of a revitalised Sky Poker, or the last hurrah? Time will tell. I hope it's the former.

Good things about this UKOPS? Obviously, it's subjective, but for me it is:-

1. Length. 11 days is perfect
    2. Continued support of PLO and (particularly) PLO8
    3. Looking forward to diaries, and particularly the @Itsover4u team thread

Downside? Impossible to please everyone, and quite possibly anyone. For me, it is:-

1. Lack of a leaderboard. I get that loads of people like to follow what some excellent players are doing in their challenge. I just prefer cold hard cash. Available to all.
    2. Too many re-entry tournaments. Need more single entry tournaments. Or the little people, the life blood of poker, will realise that the deck is increasingly stacked against them. Before they start.

I intend to play most of the smaller ones, and hopefully sat in to the bigger ones. Update tomorrow.

Good luck

GL @Essexphil Pretty much agree with all your comments above. Best of luck!
  • Options
    bbMike said:

Nice one Phil, GL out there.

A little off topic, but I was wondering what’s happened to your Grosvenor live package, are they moving tournaments online, or are they given you the cold hard cash, or something else?

Moved them online. With impressive prizepools.
    Surprised Sky hasn't done the same for SPT Brighton.
  • Options
    Day 1 recap.

Played 5 of the 6-didn't play the £55.

Mixed day.

Event 1. Middling stack for ages. Shortie shoved, I reshoved with AJ, got another caller.
    Opponents had A10 and KJ. Happy days. Until the 10 came :)

Event 2 (The Main). Spent first 2 hours on about 12k. Difficult to get bluffs through when on my left was @GSmith13 then @grinddd then @SoLack

Then went on a bit of a tear, eliminated 5 players. Then a mixture of bad luck and being spewy caused chips to disappear. Eventually shoved for last 3-4 bigs with AKs. No match for @Itsover4u who had 10 7 off. To be fair, he had to call there with ATC. 26th for about £377 (inc bounties)

Event 3. Flopped a set, opponent flopped a flush draw and a gutshot. Rivered his gutshot. Fair enough. Then shoved AQ into AK for rest

Events 4/6. Never really got going in either. Lingered like a bad smell for a while :)

Managed to qualify for tomorrow's main via the 9:45 Sat.

Bit of a "nearly" day, but happy with that.

• Options
    MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    GL with this Phil. Views on package being online now? Were you looking forward to the live battle or happy to grind it online?
  • Options
    LARSON7LARSON7 Member Posts: 4,491
    Good luck Phil.

Thoughts on the gaffe by Alex Salmond's barrister/ possible consequences?

• Options
    SidV79SidV79 Member Posts: 4,028
    Very best of luck Phil. I am following with interest
  • Options
    MattBates said:

GL with this Phil. Views on package being online now? Were you looking forward to the live battle or happy to grind it online?

Thanks, Matt.

The answer is:-both.

I was looking forward to the live battle. Live still has some truly terrible players. The barrage of statistics available online mean (almost) everyone can see if they are a losing player. But live still has some deluded souls. I was playing in a £1500 in the opening event, and saw 1 player buy in 6 times. He wasn't unlucky-he would have been the weakest player in a £2 buy-in online. And it was an opportunity to play far more live, which I have wanted to do.

But having said all that, I know that I am better online than live. I have a better chance of a big score. Came annoyingly close last time. And my expenses (train, hotel etc) are a lot less.

Family is also important. My kids are 19 and 18, so obviously don't even notice when I go away for a few days playing poker. But my wife misses me. And my dog really really misses me.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Essexphil said:

MattBates said:

Thanks, Matt.

The answer is:-both.

I was looking forward to the live battle. Live still has some truly terrible players. The barrage of statistics available online mean (almost) everyone can see if they are a losing player. But live still has some deluded souls. I was playing in a £1500 in the opening event, and saw 1 player buy in 6 times. He wasn't unlucky-he would have been the weakest player in a £2 buy-in online. And it was an opportunity to play far more live, which I have wanted to do.

But having said all that, I know that I am better online than live. I have a better chance of a big score. Came annoyingly close last time. And my expenses (train, hotel etc) are a lot less.

Family is also important. My kids are 19 and 18, so obviously don't even notice when I go away for a few days playing poker. But my wife misses me. And my dog really really misses me.
    50/50 with the missing stats....I’m sure your dog does miss you🤪
  • Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    Essexphil said:

Day 1 recap.

Wish my nearly days were like this. Good results!
  • Options
    This thread reminds me of the ITW and ask me anything threads on twoplustwo back in the day.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    LARSON7 said:

Good luck Phil.

Thanks.

Interesting question. Technically, incidentally, he is an Advocate (Scots version of Barrister).

The gaffe itself? Dumb. This wasn't a slip of the tongue amongst friends. This was on a public train, to various randoms, and during the trial. And slagging off various witnesses, as well as his client. Again, in public.

He is in a heap of trouble. Confidentiality is vital in the legal profession-probably second only to bankers.

The only thing that might save him is the defence he used in the trial. He (with Mr Salmond's consent) set a picture where Mr Salmond was portrayed as a rather nasty, sad little man. Whose chat up lines were stuck in the 1970s. But was not a criminal. Which the jury accepted.

He has already referred himself to the Regulator, and stood down from his role as head of the Advocates body. Think it is 50/50 whether he will be allowed to continue as an Advocate.
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

Essexphil said:

Day 1 recap.

Wish my nearly days were like this. Good results!
    Thanks.

I live (in poker terms) for the 1st and 2nd places. The rest just pays for the buy-ins to get to those days ;)
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

This thread reminds me of the ITW and ask me anything threads on twoplustwo back in the day.

Absolutely.

As Tikay will tell you, I am an incredibly dull person.

I rely on other people providing interesting questions to make it a worthwhile read. Consequently, happy to answer almost anything on this thread for the next 10 days...
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,129
    Essexphil said:

Cammykaze said:

Absolutely.

I rely on other people providing interesting questions to make it a worthwhile read. Consequently, "happy to answer almost anything on this thread for the next 10 days"...

Morning Phil.

OK, try this for size.

Give me a date when you think life as we know it will return to "normal".

And as an aside to that, I've been constructing in my mind a list of winners & losers in the commercial world. Near top of the list of winners is the legal profession, boy oh boy there are going to be some monsta legal battles & compensation claims ahead. If we just take sport, imagine the situation with, say, TV companies who have paid top dollar for TV rights. Or the world of Formula 1, where the sponsors (& the TV companies) will all want their money back. The mind truly boggles.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Essexphil said:

Cammykaze said:

Absolutely.

I rely on other people providing interesting questions to make it a worthwhile read. Consequently, "happy to answer almost anything on this thread for the next 10 days"...

Morning Phil.

OK, try this for size.

Give me a date when you think life as we know it will return to "normal".

And as an aside to that, I've been constructing in my mind a list of winners & losers in the commercial world. Near top of the list of winners is the legal profession, boy oh boy there are going to be some monsta legal battles & compensation claims ahead. If we just take sport, imagine the situation with, say, TV companies who have paid top dollar for TV rights. Or the world of Formula 1, where the sponsors (& the TV companies) will all want their money back. The mind truly boggles.
    Good morning. Thanks for the nice easy one, Tony :)

I think it all depends on how you define "normal". An awful lot is going to depend on whether (and when) Europe/the USA can achieve what China has.

Lockdown? As the Government has said, there are limits as to how long it can work. I believe there will be a relaxation (not removal) of various rules in late June. With a probable reimposition in October/November for a shorter period.

I suspect it will be this time next year before we can truly move on. When we can return to normal. But it will be a new normal.

Of course there will be winners and losers. The legal profession will probably neither win nor lose. Most Lawyers deal in far more mundane things than you might think. Many are going to go bust. The majority of Law Firms rely on Conveyancing for their main income. Good luck with that. Main winner? Insolvency/restructure firms, particularly Accountants/Management Consultants.

The Sport one is fascinating. Much has previously been made concerning the BBC's "outdated" business model. Sky's business model is starting to look far worse. It relies primarily on Sport, then films. Which have stopped. and it lacks the flexibility of its rivals. And Sport does not have the money to pay them back-on the strength of TV money, they have already spent the money and have commitments of their own going forward.

Sport is in trouble. I am surprised that e-sports are not filling the gap. There are going to be as many changes in sport as the High Street. More difficult to predict which changes, however.

• Options
    Essexphil said:

LARSON7 said:

Good luck Phil.

Thanks.

Interesting question. Technically, incidentally, he is an Advocate (Scots version of Barrister).

The gaffe itself? Dumb. This wasn't a slip of the tongue amongst friends. This was on a public train, to various randoms, and during the trial. And slagging off various witnesses, as well as his client. Again, in public.

He is in a heap of trouble. Confidentiality is vital in the legal profession-probably second only to bankers.

The only thing that might save him is the defence he used in the trial. He (with Mr Salmond's consent) set a picture where Mr Salmond was portrayed as a rather nasty, sad little man. Whose chat up lines were stuck in the 1970s. But was not a criminal. Which the jury accepted.

He has already referred himself to the Regulator, and stood down from his role as head of the Advocates body. Think it is 50/50 whether he will be allowed to continue as an Advocate.
    I thought this was interesting!