You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Essexphil's UKOPS diary

Comments

• Options
    CammykazeCammykaze Member Posts: 1,397
    madprof said:

Essexphil said:

Cammykaze said:

Another ask me almost anything question.

Thoughts on Dr Catherine Calderwood?

Never had much time for people who are bigger on "do as I say" as opposed to "do as I do". Particularly when I have a particular like of the East Neuk (where her holiday home is).

The bit that surprised me in this was how the Scots Government tried to protect her, and tried to give some guff about how much she was needed. Her undoubted scientific skills relate to gynaecology and obstetrics, not infection control. And her authority in this crisis was shot to pieces. Credit to her for recognising that, and resigning.
    She’s clearly an intelligent woman so to do this can only be arrogance on her part, thinking she’s above us all
    I think so too.

People going to a 2nd home is bad enough. Going when in her post and getting caught is just plain stupid after giving the advise.

Don't do as I do, do as I say
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,021
    Cammykaze said:

What in your mind are the odds of Boris making out out of the ICU?

I'm no doctor. and we (quite rightly) are not getting all the facts.
    But in my mind it is about 90%. Good odds. But not great odds.

I'm not a fan. but i wish him well.

Reminds me of 1 of the best things I have heard at a live poker table (and 1 I have shamelessly nicked since). A guy is all-in with some outs.

He was shouting to the dealer "1 time. Give me 1 time". and a guy next to me said:-

"I'm saving my 1 time for the operating table"
  • Options
    Cammykaze said:

madprof said:

Essexphil said:

Cammykaze said:

Another ask me almost anything question.

Thoughts on Dr Catherine Calderwood?

Never had much time for people who are bigger on "do as I say" as opposed to "do as I do". Particularly when I have a particular like of the East Neuk (where her holiday home is).

The bit that surprised me in this was how the Scots Government tried to protect her, and tried to give some guff about how much she was needed. Her undoubted scientific skills relate to gynaecology and obstetrics, not infection control. And her authority in this crisis was shot to pieces. Credit to her for recognising that, and resigning.
    She’s clearly an intelligent woman so to do this can only be arrogance on her part, thinking she’s above us all
    I think so too.

People going to a 2nd home is bad enough. Going when in her post and getting caught is just plain stupid after giving the advise.

Don't do as I do, do as I say
    Think people are too harsh in this sort of circumstance.

She made a mistake. She has (quite rightly) lost her job over it. And now people should let her move on with her life.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,571

I'm with you on this Phil @Essexphil

It was jolly daft of here to do what she did, & in her position she had to go.

Having said that, she has spent her entire life in a most noble profession & will have saved countless lives & nursed many, many sick people. A far better & more worth job than most of us here - certainly, for example, in my case which has been Construction & then online poker.

It's easy to judge harshly, but a little understanding needs to be applied also. She's ultimately a good person who made a silly mistake. Who has not got that t-shirt?
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,299
    Tikay10 said:

I'm with you on this Phil @Essexphil

It was jolly daft of here to do what she did, & in her position she had to go.

Having said that, she has spent her entire life in a most noble profession & will have saved countless lives & nursed many, many sick people. A far better & more worth job than most of us here - certainly, for example, in my case which has been Construction & then online poker.

It's easy to judge harshly, but a little understanding needs to be applied also. She's ultimately a good person who made a silly mistake. Who has not got that t-shirt?

I agree with all thats been replied in principle, but 2 'silly mistakes ' in consecutive weekends?

To pop to her holiday home ONCE to close it down/check its ok, ok I get why she might do that....but come on 2 weekends running?

Given her position...not exactly good role modelling
  • Options
    Day 5 round-up.

Not really in the mood. Only played about 50 MTTs, 3 of them UKOPS. Failed to qualify for the Main, so just events 26, 29 and 30.

Dull night. 26-never got going. 29-lost a standard flip (10 10 v AK).
    30-AK v K10, A and a 10 on the flop, 10 on the turn. Lost flip for the rest.

Ended up level on the day, largely thanks to a frustrating 3rd in the £5/ 2k guaranteed at 6:35.

Ho hum-off to watch episode 4 of Bosch...

GL all
  • Options
    pompeynicpompeynic Member Posts: 2,821
    Essexphil said:

Day 5 round-up.

Not really in the mood. Only played about 50 MTTs, 3 of them UKOPS. Failed to qualify for the Main, so just events 26, 29 and 30.

Ended up level on the day, largely thanks to a frustrating 3rd in the £5/ 2k guaranteed at 6:35.

GL all

Keep at it Phil,
    You know the BIG score is just around the corner, you would rather the run good comes Sunday I bet.
  • Options
    pompeynic said:

Essexphil said:

Day 5 round-up.

GL all

Keep at it Phil,
    You know the BIG score is just around the corner, you would rather the run good comes Sunday I bet.
    Thanks, Nick.
    Lovely to see you posting again.

Poker is a form (as well as a luck) thing. That said, I'll take run good whenever I can get it ;)
  • Options
    Thought for the Day.

Stop treating footballers differently from other enormously well-paid people. For example:-

1. No, Alan Shearer. Footballers should not get to decide where any pay goes to. any more than any of the rest of us;

2. A simple rule should be adopted. Any football club, or any company, can claim 80% of pay up to £2,500 per month. But only if the pay of anyone in their club/company earning more than £1million a year accepts a 20% pay cut for the duration
  • Options
    Day 6 round-Up (Wed 8th April)

Only played 2 UKOPS events-33/35. Important to pace yourself during a UKOPS, and yesterdays' schedule was less interesting/suited to me than other days.

The glorious exception was Event 33. I love PLO8. Odd really. I play PLO on occasion, but it doesn't set the pulse racing. But PLO8 does, at least for me.

My favourite regular MTT on the schedule is the 7:15 (temporarily 7:18) £5 PLO8 tournament. It has a tremendous mix of players, probably more so than any other on Sky. There are several tremendous players. And some truly terrible ones. I spend far too much time (for its value) trying to win that daily. Sure I play better in the bigger stuff once that has finished.

A £22 PLO8 is not to be missed. Not to be a win for me this time. Never got above double starting stack, and went to war with A24K ds. Against an AAlowlow who flopped the world. Fun game, though.

The only other tournament was the Mini. I don't often play the Mini (except in UKOPS). Reason for this is simple. If (as last night) I have only that table running, i decide to punt it off so I can have an early night. As here. It is the only MTT where I do this.

Going to play rather more tonight.

GL all
  • Options
    Thought for the Day:-Wrestling

Now, i know wrestling (TV wrestling, not the proper stuff) divides people.
    But I have been watching it since World of sport in the 1970s.

At its worst? A bad soap opera. But at its best? Magical.

Try catching some clips of my 2 favourite wrestlers.

Les Kellett. British. Not just a good wrestler. Laugh out loud funny, too.

Big Van Vader. American. A man who could moonsault to about 12 foot from the top rope. Oh. and did i mention he was about 35 stone?
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    Essexphil said:

Big Van Vader. American. A man who could moonsault to about 12 foot from the top rope. Oh. and did i mention he was about 35 stone?

Ha, I remember watching wrestling on World of Sport with Dickie Daivis
    I couldn’t remember the one who was nicknamed ‘ Cry Baby’
    So I googled

Ex-pro TV wrestler Jimmy 'Cry Baby' Breaks, 80, arrested in Gran Canaria for 'beating ex-wife, 47, to death'

😱
  • Options
    bigfatfishbigfatfish Member Posts: 39
    How did you win the G live package Phil? I'd be interested to here more about that if you have time. Good Luck with the rest of the series.
  • Options
    Ironpump1Ironpump1 Member Posts: 177
    Essexphil said:

i decide to punt it off so I can have an early night. As here. It is the only MTT where I do this.

GL all

Amen! I for one hate being stuck one tabling the mini. I cover my hole cards and blast off.
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

Essexphil said:

Ha, I remember watching wrestling on World of Sport with Dickie Daivis
    I couldn’t remember the one who was nicknamed ‘ Cry Baby’
    So I googled

Ex-pro TV wrestler Jimmy 'Cry Baby' Breaks, 80, arrested in Gran Canaria for 'beating ex-wife, 47, to death'

😱
    Good wrestler. Seemed to play the heel very easily.

Wrestling has had its fair share of murderers, such as Chris Benoit. Tragic story, that one.
  • Options
    EnutEnut Member Posts: 3,279
    The illusion of wrestling was shattered for me as a youngster. On a family holiday at Pontins in the 70's we watched a bout one evening, it was thoroughly entertaining and I was convinced that they hated each other but the good guy was better and had won because of that.

Sadly half an hour after the end I was outside and watched them all walk out laughing and joking and get into their minibus. I had been deceived!
  • Options
    GlenelgGlenelg Member Posts: 6,550

Amen! I for one hate being stuck one tabling the mini. I cover my hole cards and blast off.

@Essexphil & @Ironpump1 - ve hev made notz...
  • Options

How did you win the G live package Phil? I'd be interested to here more about that if you have time. Good Luck with the rest of the series.

Thanks. Good question.

Grosvenor sporadically run "GCOOPs"-very similar to UKOPS on here.

And like Sky used to do (hint, hint Sky) they ran a leaderboard, with the winner getting the package. I think it ran over 4 or 5 days, buy-ins from £10 to £530.

I have been lucky before in these-won a Sky one last year. And (just) won the GCOOP leaderboard. I would have come 2nd, but the winner (Joe Beevers) is already sponsored by them, so was ineligible. A few prominent Sky players ran me close-no names cos some might not want to admit being beaten by a fossil :)

I have always been self-funded (as opposed to backed) and so have not played as many big tournaments as I would wish. so this is a lot of fun for me.
  • Options
    Enut said:

The illusion of wrestling was shattered for me as a youngster. On a family holiday at Pontins in the 70's we watched a bout one evening, it was thoroughly entertaining and I was convinced that they hated each other but the good guy was better and had won because of that.

Sadly half an hour after the end I was outside and watched them all walk out laughing and joking and get into their minibus. I had been deceived!

Similar for me. About 1979, doing a summer job working as a Fitter/Welder's Mate, in Brixton. In the cafe, getting the sandwiches in for the proper workers. and bumped into Tony St Clair and Giant Haystacks, who were clearly mates rather than supposed enemies...
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,528
    and bumped into Tony St Clair and Giant Haystacks

You bumped into Giant Haystacks? Was the cafe still standing after ;)