You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Roy Keane.

Comments

• Options
    chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited July 2021
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Scoring from a penalty will always be a 50-50 chance.
    Penalty taking is a skill? Don’t think so.
    Look at all the players that have scored from pens that are regarded as less skillfull.
    The focus is always on the guys that take more penalties.
    You will find a lot of those pens would have had no great importance at the time of taking.
    Most folks know, but just to recap,keepers favour certain heights a shot comes at them.
    From experience it’s best to put put pace on the ball,as even if the keeper chooses the correct side, it’s more than likely the keeper can only get finger tips on the shot.
    Trying to be cute and placing the ball with no pace, looks good when it comes off,but the keeper only has to guess the correct side,then it’s a fairly easy save.
    There aren’t that many great saves from pens,just poor execution of pens.
    Just because a keeper goes the wrong way, doesn’t mean the player taking the pen sent him the wrong way. Probably happens on the odd occasion, but more of an illusion that makes up stats,especially for the media.

My view on those penalties in the final.

Rashford took the longest amount of time over his, not the greatest decision, as he had not touched the ball? Then he starts the showboating, which means he’s not focused on the most important thing,the strike, the execution. Saka also threw in the most unusual stomping of the ground before he took his. Not sure what that was all about,but I’ve never seen it before.
    Just concentrate on the strike/contact with the ball is the wtg.
    Messing about will always leave the door open to criticism, like mine.

I would agree with Keane. hhyf putting up Sterling’s pen, shows Sterling had something to draw on. Never mind the percentages. It could have been worse,it could’ve been a Jenas.🤣

Wouldn’t be right not to include some shots.

I only read the first sentence.
    The best penalty takers do far better than 50/50.
    Matt Le Tissier missed one out fifty four during his whole career.
    How could that not be a skill?
    I dont intend reading the rest.
    How do you determine what a skill is?
    If players regarded as less skilful can still score,have they just acquired a new skill?
    All you’ve done is taken a player that’s been successful,with a good record. There would be others you can add to that. But going from the most successful, all the way down to the least successful, proves nothing.
    If their life depended on it,you’d likely be surprised.
    Scoring from the spot when your team is leading has less importance.
    Did Le Tissier score all his pens when his team was behind?
    If you take all the players that have taken pens, they’d have different records of scoring.
    On any specific occasion, like the final shootout,Le Tissiers chance of scoring would still be 50-50.

Btw, do you realise that the Government hasn’t been running the country regarding ‘ COVID’?
    You should surely know by now that it’s a United Nations thing, the government and the scientists just read what’s in front of them. It’s all off a playbook. Just to save you some time, obv.
    I’d doubt you do though,you think you’re on the ball.
    At some stage you will find out what an idiot you’ve been.
    You’re obsession with Boris is getting rather creepy.

Thanks for reading parts though👍

I wonder what your thread replies percentage is?
    Certainly no Le Tissier.

• Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036

yap yap yap, you're like a little dog desperate to find a leg to hump.

I would have thought my opinions regarding the Enid Blyton issue would have flagged a more right wing, Rule Britannia type of mindset. Perhaps you misunderstood me, or the point I was making or the issue in general. I mean that would hardly be a first.

I sometimes wonder what inspires your attempts to wind me up. Seriously I have given it careful consideration, not enough to occupy all my waking time obviously, but I have had to pause.

I think you just keep looking for buttons to press in the hope that I am going to have a melt down and completely lose it.

There are people on here who could well do that, unfortunately you are not one of them.

Quick, I think I hear something trip, trapping over your bridge.

Nothing misunderstood and not on the wind up.

You agreed with Keane saying Sterling should take one.
    I disagreed with that viewpoint and explained why, and then in your warped mind anyone who disagrees with you is a troll. Bizarre behaviour but whatever.

Chilling is now saying penalties aren't a skill, which I disagree with.
    Maybe he'll also call me a troll for holding the opposite opinion?

I'm quite happy to not share similar opinions with the likes of you, Chilling etc.

Very happy indeed about that.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,985
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Look at all the players that have scored from pens that are regarded as less skillfull.
    You will find a lot of those pens would have had no great importance at the time of taking.
    Most folks know, but just to recap,keepers favour certain heights a shot comes at them.
    From experience it’s best to put put pace on the ball,as even if the keeper chooses the correct side, it’s more than likely the keeper can only get finger tips on the shot.
    Trying to be cute and placing the ball with no pace, looks good when it comes off,but the keeper only has to guess the correct side,then it’s a fairly easy save.
    Just because a keeper goes the wrong way, doesn’t mean the player taking the pen sent him the wrong way. Probably happens on the odd occasion, but more of an illusion that makes up stats,especially for the media.

Rashford took the longest amount of time over his, not the greatest decision, as he had not touched the ball? Then he starts the showboating, which means he’s not focused on the most important thing,the strike, the execution. Saka also threw in the most unusual stomping of the ground before he took his. Not sure what that was all about,but I’ve never seen it before.

I would agree with Keane. hhyf putting up Sterling’s pen, shows Sterling had something to draw on. Never mind the percentages. It could have been worse,it could’ve been a Jenas.🤣

If players regarded as less skilful can still score,have they just acquired a new skill?
    All you’ve done is taken a player that’s been successful,with a good record. There would be others you can add to that. But going from the most successful, all the way down to the least successful, proves nothing.
    If you take all the players that have taken pens, they’d have different records of scoring.
    On any specific occasion, like the final shootout,Le Tissiers chance of scoring would still be 50-50.

Btw, do you realise that the Government hasn’t been running the country regarding ‘ COVID’?
    You should surely know by now that it’s a United Nations thing, the government and the scientists just read what’s in front of them. It’s all off a playbook. Just to save you some time, obv.

Certainly no Le Tissier.

Players that are less successful are usually stopped from taking them.
    Cantona missed 2 out of 16.
    Gary McAllister missed 1 out of 19.
    Thierry Henry missed 2 out of 25.
    Leighton Baines missed 2 out of 22.
    All of whom are well above your bs 50/50.

I must say that you are hardly the best judge of anyone getting creepy.

I merely got involved in this to point out that your suggestion that scoring a penalty is a 50/50 chance, is obviously untrue.
    And secondly that taking penalties is obviously a skill.
    The fact that some players convert penalties at a much lower rate than other players, surely proves that the players that convert the most are more skilled than the others at taking penalties.
    Surely that is unarguable.

What Percentage of Penalties are Scored? [Statistical Breakdown]

At time of writing (January 6, 2021), 1,894 out of 2,278 penalties awarded in Premier League history have been scored, equating to a success rate of 83.14 per cent.

Meanwhile, only 90 (3.95 per cent) have missed the target, with the remaining 294 (12.91 per cent) saved by the opposition goalkeeper.

https://sqaf.club/what-percentage-of-penalties-are-scored-stats/
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

Thats an abbreviation for you are,
    I think you meant your.

Certainly no Le Tissier.

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

I think you meant your.

Certainly no Le Tissier.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/9763539/worst-penalty-takers-premier-league-history-best/

There was one player in PL history that scored 50%, just one, ever.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

I think you meant your.

Certainly no Le Tissier.

With only two outcomes it can only ever be a 50-50 at any one time.
    Picking out players that are successful at scoring from the spot doesn’t define it as a skill.
    Harry Kane has a vid on YouTube about ‘ Taking the Perfect Penalty’.
    So did he lose that skill against Denmark?

Putting pace on the ball will give a keeper more problems than placing a penalty.
    Still a 50-50. 30+years of playing the game to draw on.

Some keepers are s hite at saving or attempting to save penalties. It’s not their strong point.
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

I think you meant your.

Certainly no Le Tissier.

Picking out players that are successful at scoring from the spot doesn’t define it as a skill.

Putting pace on the ball will give a keeper more problems than placing a penalty.

Some keepers are s hite at saving or attempting to save penalties. It’s not their strong point.

At time of writing (January 6, 2021), 1,894 out of 2,278 penalties awarded in Premier League history have been scored, equating to a success rate of 83.14 per cent.

Meanwhile, only 90 (3.95 per cent) have missed the target, with the remaining 294 (12.91 per cent) saved by the opposition goalkeeper.

• Options
    edited July 2021
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

I think you meant your.

Certainly no Le Tissier.

So what happened in the shootout at Wembley?
    Those stats you put up mean nothing, as was proven.

For the penalty takers that go for power, especially of yesteryears,would you certify them as having a skill?
  • Options
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

I think you meant your.

Certainly no Le Tissier.

For the penalty takers that go for power, especially of yesteryears,would you certify them as having a skill?
    Which do you think is a more reliable guide, the actual stats since the day the PL started, or the stats from a snapshot of one shoot out?
    Some players have clearly had the specific skill of scoring penalties.
    Some of these players may have been regarded as being less skilled than other players who were less able to score penalties.
    Missing one or two penalties in a whole career cannot be down to luck.
    It is foolish to continue to argue that scoring a penalty is a 50/50 chance, when the stats show that over 83% have been scored.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

I think you meant your.

Certainly no Le Tissier.

Which do you think is a more reliable guide, the actual stats since the day the PL started, or the stats from a snapshot of one shoot out?
    Some players have clearly had the specific skill of scoring penalties.
    Some of these players may have been regarded as being less skilled than other players who were less able to score penalties.
    Missing one or two penalties in a whole career cannot be down to luck.
    It is foolish to continue to argue that scoring a penalty is a 50/50 chance, when the stats show that over 83% have been scored.
    What you’re lacking is understanding the circumstances of the penalties.
    In my back garden I’d notch 100% of the time.
    Le Tissier takes all those penalties for England in big matches at crucial times,his strike rate wouldn’t be as it finished up. You’d beg to differ, I’m sure.
  • Options
    One advantage Le Tissier did have over others, was he always had a fresh pair of legs, even after playing for ninety minutes.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,162
    edited July 2021
    Hi Tony @HAYSIE

You need to have a look at the stat's relating to penalty Shoot-outs, rather than the Premiership matches. Penalties in Premiership matches don't have as much pressure on them, because there is still usually time left to play, and you can follow up a penalty and score, as Kane did against Denmark.

There is so much more pressure in Play-Off, and even more in Sudden Death situations, especially when the player has to score to stay in.

I'm not saying it will turn out to be 50/50 in that pressure situation (I'm sure you will enjoy researching it ;):) ).... but I'm sure you will find it will be a lot closer to 50/50 than the premiership stat's...... after all England ended up being 40/60 sadly....... and Italy 60/40........I'm sure you can workout the % total.

Gareth Southgate and his Coaches, who work closely with the Team, are far more qualified than any of us, to know who should take the penalties. Personally I would have liked to see the players strike the ball harder into the corners (like the Swiss did against France), but they still might have missed anyway......

All the players would have had to take a Penalty eventually if it had gone to Sudden Death and the penalties had kept being missed or scored at the same rate ....... that really would have been worth watching, just to see who could handle the PRESSURE

Kevin Pressman (Sheff Wed's goalkeeper) was a great Penalty taker. He used to virtually take the Net off, but he only got to take them in Penalty Shoot-outs
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

Hi Tony @HAYSIE

You need to have a look at the stat's relating to penalty Shoot-outs, rather than the Premiership matches. Penalties in Premiership matches don't have as much pressure on them, because there is still usually time left to play, and you can follow up a penalty and score, as Kane did against Denmark.

There is so much more pressure in Play-Off, and even more in Sudden Death situations, especially when the player has to score to stay in.

I'm not saying it will turn out to be 50/50 in that pressure situation (I'm sure you will enjoy researching it ;):) ), but I'm sure you will find it will be a lot closer to 50/50 than the premiership stat's...... after all England ended up being 40/60 sadly....... and Italy 60/40........I'm sure you can workout the % total.

Gareth Southgate and his Coaches, who work closely with the Team, are far more qualified than any of us, to know who should take the penalties. Personally I would have liked to see the players strike the ball harder into the corners (like the Swiss did against France), but they still might have missed anyway......

All the players would have had to take a Penalty eventually if it had gone to Sudden Death and the penalties had kept being missed or scored at the same rate ....... that really would have been worth watching to see who could handle the PRESSURE

Kevin Pressman (Sheff Wed's goalkeeper) was a great Penalty taker. He used to virtually take the Net off, but he only got to take them in Penalty Shoot-outs

What's the average scoring percentage in a penalty shootout?

The average scoring percentage for all penalties is 74.88%. So anything above that is a shade of green and below that is a shade of yellow fading to red as the percentage drops. What we can see is that the best chance of scoring comes from aiming into the middle section of the goal and into the bottom corners.
    Statistical insight into shootouts - The Stats Zone

World Cup 2018: Everything you need to know about penalty shootouts

What makes the perfect World Cup penalty? Who has the best record from the spot? And does luck really come into it?

As the tournament enters the knockout phase we have a look at the history of World Cup shootouts, 26 of which have taken place since they were introduced in 1978 - though none were needed in Argentina that year.

Taking the perfect penalty
    Of the 240 kicks at World Cup penalty shootouts before the 2018 tournament in Russia, 170 were scored - a conversion rate of just over seven out of 10.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44641247
  • Options
    chilling said:

One advantage Le Tissier did have over others, was he always had a fresh pair of legs, even after playing for ninety minutes.

You would argue with a sign post.
    Just taking shootouts almost three quarters are scored.
    The fact that some players score a higher percentage than others, surely prove that it is a skill.
  • Options
    MISTY4MEMISTY4ME Member Posts: 6,162
    edited July 2021
    That was quick ....... nice one Mr Hayes @HAYSIE

....and I'm sure you will be able to get the latest version now that this Euro Tourney is over.

GOOD LUCK tonight :)
  • Options
    MISTY4ME said:

....and I'm sure you will be able to get the latest version now that this Euro Tourney is over.

Thanks, you too.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Thanks, you too.
    Euros.

Team Played Won Lost Win % Years won Years lost
    Czech Republic 3 3 0 100% 1976†1, 19801, 1996 –
    Turkey 1 1 0 100% 2008 –
    Spain 6 4 2 67% 1984, 2008, 2012, 2020 1996, 2020
    Germany 3 2 1 67% 1996, 2016 1976†3
    Portugal 3 2 1 67% 2004, 2016 2012
    Italy 7 4 3 57% 2000, 2012, 2020†×2 1980, 2008, 2016
    Denmark 2 1 1 50% 1992 1984
    Poland 2 1 1 50% 2016 2016
    Switzerland3 1 2 33% 2020 2016, 2020
    France 3 1 2 33% 1996 1996, 2020
    Netherlands4 1 3 25% 2004 1992, 1996, 2000
    England 5 1 4 20% 1996 1996, 2004, 2012, 2020
    Croatia 1 0 1 0% – 2008
    Sweden 1 0 1 0% – 2004
  • Options
    hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    This is what some Nigel Farage fans think of the penalty situation.
    I'd like to say it's isolated comments from a minority, however I'd be lying.
    Imagine being this dense and bigoted?

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

You would argue with a sign post.
    Just taking shootouts almost three quarters are scored.
    The fact that some players score a higher percentage than others, surely prove that it is a skill.
    Just look through as many penalties as you like, upload them on here.
    Then we can decide how much ‘ skill’ is involved.
  • Options
    chilling said:

Irrelevant.