You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Roy Keane.

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,515

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Hi Tony @HAYSIE

You need to have a look at the stat's relating to penalty Shoot-outs, rather than the Premiership matches. Penalties in Premiership matches don't have as much pressure on them, because there is still usually time left to play, and you can follow up a penalty and score, as Kane did against Denmark.

There is so much more pressure in Play-Off, and even more in Sudden Death situations, especially when the player has to score to stay in.

I'm not saying it will turn out to be 50/50 in that pressure situation (I'm sure you will enjoy researching it ;):) ).... but I'm sure you will find it will be a lot closer to 50/50 than the premiership stat's...... after all England ended up being 40/60 sadly....... and Italy 60/40........I'm sure you can workout the % total.

Gareth Southgate and his Coaches, who work closely with the Team, are far more qualified than any of us, to know who should take the penalties. Personally I would have liked to see the players strike the ball harder into the corners (like the Swiss did against France), but they still might have missed anyway......

All the players would have had to take a Penalty eventually if it had gone to Sudden Death and the penalties had kept being missed or scored at the same rate ....... that really would have been worth watching, just to see who could handle the PRESSURE

Kevin Pressman (Sheff Wed's goalkeeper) was a great Penalty taker. He used to virtually take the Net off, but he only got to take them in Penalty Shoot-outs

Why do you think that England have such a bad record in penalty shootouts in both the World Cup, and the Euros.
    They have won one out of five in the Euros, and one from four in the World Cup.
    So two out of nine.
    It cant be luck.
    'BOTTLE'

.......or the Lack of it.

I don't think it helps that everybody, TV Pundits, Press and Media, go on about how bad we are too :#
    Using this list, and adding Harry Maguire might have been a better choice?

Team Primary penalty taker Secondary penalty taker(s)
    Arsenal Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Alexandre Lacazette
    Aston Villa Anwar El Ghazi Jack Grealish, Conor Hourihane
    Brighton Neal Maupay Jay Rodriguez, Pascal Gross
    Burnley Ashley Barnes Chris Wood
    Chelsea Jorginho Timo Werner
    Crystal Palace Luka Milivojevic Christian Benteke, Jordan Ayew
    Everton Gylfi Sigurdsson James Rodriguez
    Fulham Aleksandar Mitrovic Tom Cairney
    Leeds Mateusz Klich Patrick Bamford
    Leicester City Jamie Vardy James Maddison
    Liverpool Mohamed Salah James Milner
    Manchester City Kevin De Bruyne Raheem Sterling, Sergio Aguero,
    Manchester United Bruno Fernandes Marcus Rashford
    Newcastle Matt Ritchie Callum Wilson
    Sheffield United Oliver Norwood Billy Sharp, David McGoldrick
    Southampton Danny Ings James Ward-Prowse
    Tottenham Harry Kane Dele Alli, Heung-min Son
    West Brom Charlie Austin Kenneth Zohore
    West Ham Mark Noble Michail Antonio
    Wolves Raul Jimenez Ruben Neves
    Don't know how old this is but Sterling is definitely not No2 taker for City.
    He might have been for a short time but he's well down the pecking order now.

KDB, Gundogan, Jesus, Rodri and Mahrez, as a minimum, are all ahead of him.
    https://www.goal.com/en/news/who-are-penalty-takers-for-each-of-the-premier-league-clubs/nflt1qvbq77j15o5iff78tn7k

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

One advantage Le Tissier did have over others, was he always had a fresh pair of legs, even after playing for ninety minutes.

You would argue with a sign post.
    Just taking shootouts almost three quarters are scored.
    The fact that some players score a higher percentage than others, surely prove that it is a skill.
    Just look through as many penalties as you like, upload them on here.
    Then we can decide how much ‘ skill’ is involved.
    This is where we part company.
    Surely the only way of judging any players skill in penalty taking is by the results.
    How they take them, is surely irrelevant.
    You certainly wouldnt expect a manager to choose a penalty taker who has a record of scoring say 60%, over one that looked less skillful, but was scoring over 90%.
    The players that are usually chosen to take penalties are those that have the most success in scoring from them.
    For instance if England were involved in a shootout at the World Cup, I would expect Harry McGuire to be close to the top of the list, and above many players considered more skillful than him.
    No. In theory a taker could have nearly all his pens touched by the keeper. They will still count though.
    The same as looking back at a ‘ top strickers’ total over seasons.
    All those tap ins,ricochets,just being fortunate to being in the right place.
    Sometimes the striker taking the pens to boost his total,and could get two stabs.
    They all count,but not all will require any ‘ skill’ .

I think you’re implying you would have more faith in somebody with a better record.
    For me, it’s 50-50
    Well, duhhh, yes of course.

50/50 to score a penalty in a shootout? Are you serious? Penalties are not 'luck' & there is a reason we have a shocking record in them.

I either flop a full house or I don't.... 50/50 innit

Twenty horses in a race, win or lose therefore 50/50.
    Should all be even money.
    Mr Chilling vs Phil Ivey heads up 50/50, dont think so.
    Harry Kane vs Mr Chilling in penalty shootout, 50/50 never.
    When the fact is that almost three quarters of penalties taken in penalty shootouts are scored, how could anyone in their right mind continue with the 50/50 argument.
    That was me being very polite.

So in summary 50.50 is untrue, as almost 75% have been scored.
    There is no skill involved, but some players score more than others.
    Thats it for me.
    I am sitting here thinking why the f...k am I sitting here arguing over nonsense.
    chilling said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

One advantage Le Tissier did have over others, was he always had a fresh pair of legs, even after playing for ninety minutes.

The fact that some players score a higher percentage than others, surely prove that it is a skill.
    Surely the only way of judging any players skill in penalty taking is by the results.
    You certainly wouldnt expect a manager to choose a penalty taker who has a record of scoring say 60%, over one that looked less skillful, but was scoring over 90%.
    The players that are usually chosen to take penalties are those that have the most success in scoring from them.
    For instance if England were involved in a shootout at the World Cup, I would expect Harry McGuire to be close to the top of the list, and above many players considered more skillful than him.
    No. In theory a taker could have nearly all his pens touched by the keeper. They will still count though.
    Sometimes the striker taking the pens to boost his total,and could get two stabs.

I think you’re implying you would have more faith in somebody with a better record.
    For me, it’s 50-50

50/50 to score a penalty in a shootout? Are you serious? Penalties are not 'luck' & there is a reason we have a shocking record in them.

Luck?
    50-50.
    50/50 would mean that you flopped a full house every other hand.

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

HAYSIE said:

MISTY4ME said:

Hi Tony @HAYSIE

You need to have a look at the stat's relating to penalty Shoot-outs, rather than the Premiership matches. Penalties in Premiership matches don't have as much pressure on them, because there is still usually time left to play, and you can follow up a penalty and score, as Kane did against Denmark.

There is so much more pressure in Play-Off, and even more in Sudden Death situations, especially when the player has to score to stay in.

I'm not saying it will turn out to be 50/50 in that pressure situation (I'm sure you will enjoy researching it ;):) ).... but I'm sure you will find it will be a lot closer to 50/50 than the premiership stat's...... after all England ended up being 40/60 sadly....... and Italy 60/40........I'm sure you can workout the % total.

Gareth Southgate and his Coaches, who work closely with the Team, are far more qualified than any of us, to know who should take the penalties. Personally I would have liked to see the players strike the ball harder into the corners (like the Swiss did against France), but they still might have missed anyway......

All the players would have had to take a Penalty eventually if it had gone to Sudden Death and the penalties had kept being missed or scored at the same rate ....... that really would have been worth watching, just to see who could handle the PRESSURE

Kevin Pressman (Sheff Wed's goalkeeper) was a great Penalty taker. He used to virtually take the Net off, but he only got to take them in Penalty Shoot-outs

Why do you think that England have such a bad record in penalty shootouts in both the World Cup, and the Euros.
    They have won one out of five in the Euros, and one from four in the World Cup.
    So two out of nine.
    It cant be luck.
    'BOTTLE'

.......or the Lack of it.

I don't think it helps that everybody, TV Pundits, Press and Media, go on about how bad we are too :#
    Using this list, and adding Harry Maguire might have been a better choice?

Team Primary penalty taker Secondary penalty taker(s)
    Arsenal Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang Alexandre Lacazette
    Aston Villa Anwar El Ghazi Jack Grealish, Conor Hourihane
    Brighton Neal Maupay Jay Rodriguez, Pascal Gross
    Burnley Ashley Barnes Chris Wood
    Chelsea Jorginho Timo Werner
    Crystal Palace Luka Milivojevic Christian Benteke, Jordan Ayew
    Everton Gylfi Sigurdsson James Rodriguez
    Fulham Aleksandar Mitrovic Tom Cairney
    Leeds Mateusz Klich Patrick Bamford
    Leicester City Jamie Vardy James Maddison
    Liverpool Mohamed Salah James Milner
    Manchester City Kevin De Bruyne Raheem Sterling, Sergio Aguero,
    Manchester United Bruno Fernandes Marcus Rashford
    Newcastle Matt Ritchie Callum Wilson
    Sheffield United Oliver Norwood Billy Sharp, David McGoldrick
    Southampton Danny Ings James Ward-Prowse
    Tottenham Harry Kane Dele Alli, Heung-min Son
    West Brom Charlie Austin Kenneth Zohore
    West Ham Mark Noble Michail Antonio
    Wolves Raul Jimenez Ruben Neves
    Don't know how old this is but Sterling is definitely not No2 taker for City.
    He might have been for a short time but he's well down the pecking order now.

KDB, Gundogan, Jesus, Rodri and Mahrez, as a minimum, are all ahead of him.
    I wont dispute that, but many people disagree with his choice.
  • chillingchilling Member Posts: 3,774
    edited July 2021
    Scoring from a penalty can only ever be 50-50. Score or fail to score.

Taking numerous penalties will give the takers chances to improve those odds or undershoot those odds.

• hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    chilling said:

Taking numerous penalties will give the takers chances to improve those odds or undershoot those odds.

So by that logic, AA vs 22 all in pre is 50/50....cos aces will either win or lose, right?
    edited July 2021
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

When the fact is that almost three quarters of penalties taken in penalty shootouts are scored, how could anyone in their right mind continue with the 50/50 argument.

Thats it for me.
    I am sitting here thinking why the f...k am I sitting here arguing over nonsense.
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

Thats it for me.
    Regarding the horse bet.
    You do your dough or win. ( unless you’re an each way thief)
    The amount of runners in a race is irrelevant.
    The odds are for the bookie.
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

Luck?
    50-50.
    50/50 would mean that you flopped a full house every other hand.
    Not that I’m a poker player, but you need a full house every other hand to be successful?
    No wonder misterpj can’t come to grips.
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

Thats it for me.
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

Thats it for me.
    Regarding the horse bet.
    And bookies wouldnt have odds for the teams competing in penalty shootouts?
    Or odds on individual players scoring from the penalties?
    Might these odds reflect the players scoring record?
    Wouldnt the players that are the most skilled in taking penalties score more?
    And those that are the least skilled score fewer?
    If a successful penalty taker or average penalty taker continues to take penalties, their percentages will change. Some could go higher, some lower,and over time both ways.
    On any individual penalty, there are only two possible outcomes.
    “ History is no guide to the future”.
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

Thats it for me.
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

Thats it for me.
    Regarding the horse bet.
    There’s probably a very good reason why bookies don’t have odds on shoot outs in play.
  • goldnballzgoldnballz Member Posts: 2,789
    chilling said:

Pathetic argument from a pathetic human being
    @chilling

I'll have you a friendly bet......

£10 per penalty (in a shootout) taken in the next 2 seasons of FA CUPS (if required) & ending in the World Cup in Qatar?

You win £10 every miss... I win every pen scored?

@tikay can hold the funds

Deal?

There’s probably a very good reason why bookies don’t have odds on shoot outs in play.

Erm, they do.....

@chilling

I'll have you a friendly bet......

£10 per penalty (in a shootout) taken in the next 2 seasons of FA CUPS (if required) & ending in the World Cup in Qatar?

You win £10 every miss... I win every pen scored?

@tikay can hold the funds

Deal?

You would win.

Erm, they do.....

Hes wrong, yet again.
    chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

Thats it for me.
    HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

HAYSIE said:

chilling said:

For me, it’s 50-50

Thats it for me.
    Regarding the horse bet.
    Ha ha.
    chilling said:

If a successful penalty taker or average penalty taker continues to take penalties, their percentages will change. Some could go higher, some lower,and over time both ways.
    On any individual penalty, there are only two possible outcomes.
    “ History is no guide to the future”.

Stats are.
    The odds on a horse that won its last 3 races is likely to be shorter than one that has pulled up in its last 3.
    A player with a good record for scoring penalties will be shorter than one that hasnt, or a player that has not taken one before.