You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Partygate.

Comments

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,352
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:
    This really needs to stop.

Non-doms are the Amazons of the personal tax world.

The fact is that our multi-millionaire Chancellor ensures his multi-multi-millionaire wife avoids paying UK tax on the vast bulk of her wealth while telling us to tighten our belts, and refusing to help.

In the name of God, vote out these sleazeballs.
    Do you think they are too stupid to see the message it sends, or is it that they simply dont care?
    Both.
    Definitely both.

As I have said on other threads, non-doms use a variety of (perfectly legal) devices in order to ensure that "income" is not classed as "UK income".

As an example of the avoidance, she invests in various companies. On just 1 of them (Infosys) she is believed to have received dividends of £11.7 million last year. UK tax on that? £0

I believe everyone should have the right to choose where they live. And where their domicile for tax purposes should be.

But they should be the same country.

I wouldnt disagree with that.

They are also kicking off this morning about another of the companies that she is involved with, that has now gone through, receiving over £400k in furlough cash.
    The bit I find most incredible is not that a rich person uses means to avoid paying tax.

It's that the Conservative Party thought it was fine to have someone benefitting massively via his wife's non-dom status to be the Chancellor of the Exchequer for this country.

Quite apart from the truly terrible message it sends, there is a massive conflict of interest.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 33,254
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

The fact is that our multi-millionaire Chancellor ensures his multi-multi-millionaire wife avoids paying UK tax on the vast bulk of her wealth while telling us to tighten our belts, and refusing to help.

Do you think they are too stupid to see the message it sends, or is it that they simply dont care?
    Both.
    Definitely both.

As I have said on other threads, non-doms use a variety of (perfectly legal) devices in order to ensure that "income" is not classed as "UK income".

As an example of the avoidance, she invests in various companies. On just 1 of them (Infosys) she is believed to have received dividends of £11.7 million last year. UK tax on that? £0

I believe everyone should have the right to choose where they live. And where their domicile for tax purposes should be.

They are also kicking off this morning about another of the companies that she is involved with, that has now gone through, receiving over £400k in furlough cash.
    The bit I find most incredible is not that a rich person uses means to avoid paying tax.

It's that the Conservative Party thought it was fine to have someone benefitting massively via his wife's non-dom status to be the Chancellor of the Exchequer for this country.

Quite apart from the truly terrible message it sends, there is a massive conflict of interest.
    You couldnt make it up.
  • Options
    Tax hikes for Britons… but not in No11? Non-dom status of Chancellor's billionaire heiress wife means she could have avoided £4.4m in UK tax last year and is only meant for people who 'don't intend to stay here permanently'

Akshata Murthy, whose father is one of India's richest men, is facing scrutiny after it emerged she has kept the status despite living in 11 Downing Street with the Chancellor and their children. It means she was not liable for tax on overseas earnings, including dividends from her father's company that reportedly came to £11.6million last year. That sum could have meant paying £4.4million to HMRC. A spokeswoman for Ms Murthy pointed out she is an Indian citizen and stressed she pays UK taxes on UK income. There is no suggestion any laws or rules have been broken. However, reforms brought in by the Tory government in 2015 stated that non-dom status is intended to 'support those from overseas who come to the UK but don't intend to stay here permanently'. Shadow business secretary Ed Miliband accepted that the arrangements were legal but pointed out the government was making Britons pay more tax, after the national insurance hike came in yesterday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10695205/Row-non-dom-status-Rishi-Sunaks-billionaire-heiress-wife.html
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Both.
    Definitely both.

They cant seem to help shooting themselves in the foot.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

Both.
    Definitely both.

They cant seem to help shooting themselves in the foot.
    Or, more likely, Boris can't help shooting people in the foot that are after his job.

Some bits if the "Fishy Rishi" saga amaze me. Examples:-

1. Became an MP for 1 of the safest seats in the Country in 2015. Date joined the Conservative Party? 2014. That's a swift rise

2. I am (no doubt naively) assuming the Chancellor is quite good with numbers. His own website says they relocated to the UK "a couple of years" after their 2009 marriage. Yet non dom status for wife applied for in 2013/14-just before applied to join the Tory Party. Odd that

3. We have a Chancellor with an estimated wealth of about £200 million. I understand (though do not agree with) his claim that his wife's tax affairs are no-one's business. What I do not understand his refusal to answer the question of whether his assets are stored offshore
  • Options
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak QUITS Downing Street! Chancellor and his family MOVE OUT of their grace and favour flat following backlash over his wife's non-dom status - as friends suggest he could also leave the Cabinet to spare them the scrutiny

Rishi Sunak 'moves family out of Downing Street 'following backlash over his wife's
    Removal vans packed with the couple's furniture and personal items were pictured outside No 11 on Saturday as the couple make the move to their luxury West London home for family reasons. The Chancellor was battling to save his political career last night following new revelations about his family's tax arrangements, including an astonishing claim that he broke US immigration rules. On Friday, his wife, Akshata Murty sensationally volunteered to pay UK tax on her global fortune in a bid to save her husband's ailing political future. In a dramatic U-turn, the Indian heiress she would no longer apply to pay tax on a 'remittance basis', which allows non-doms to avoid UK tax on foreign earnings in return for a £30,000 annual fee. Mr Sunak's allies have suggested he would consider quitting the Cabinet all together to spare his family fresh scrutiny and protect their privacy.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10703903/Rishi-Sunak-moves-family-Downing-Street-following-backlash-wifes-non-dom-status.html
  • Options
    The stench of entitlement is now oozing from Rishi Sunak’s home as well as Boris Johnson’s

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/stench-entitlement-now-oozing-rishi-072914423.html
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Excellent article. Thanks.

Just wanted to briefly expand on "non doms", and why it is both important that they continue and that there is major reform.

Non dom arrangements have been around for more than 200 years. Allow me to give a modern example to show how it should work.

Mark Carney was the Governor of the Bank of Canada. A Canadian. We wanted him to be the Governor of the Bank of England on 2013. On a fixed-term contract. To work in the UK as an expat, and then return to Canada. Hence, quite rightly, taxed in UK only on UK earnings. Because he can clearly show he is a Canadian living here temporarily. That is the way expats operate-both here and abroad.

Then in the 1990s, things changed. Suddenly, people started using rather more nebulous reasons to be non doms. People came here to live not to work, but to avoid paying taxes on foreign wealth.

People should not underestimate the scale of this. In a recent University study, of the people ordinarily resident in the UK who earned more than £5million p.a, 40% had claimed non-dom status. That's 2 in every 5 of the richest people in the UK expecting you to pay their share of tax.

To be fair to the Tories, under Cameron some of the worst excesses were being curbed. Before 2015, for example, if a British person bought a £10million London home, he had to pay £11.5million due to Stamp Duty Land Tax. Whereas a Russian oligarch paid £0 tax.

There was also introduced a requirement that people stated they did not intend to remain permanently in the UK. But now, instead of people saying they will leave after a fixed-term contract, there is vague rubbish like "at some point I will retire there/look after my parents while ignoring my children" etc.

There needs to be further reform. But not going to happen under this Government.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Excellent article. Thanks.

Just wanted to briefly expand on "non doms", and why it is both important that they continue and that there is major reform.

Non dom arrangements have been around for more than 200 years. Allow me to give a modern example to show how it should work.

Mark Carney was the Governor of the Bank of Canada. A Canadian. We wanted him to be the Governor of the Bank of England on 2013. On a fixed-term contract. To work in the UK as an expat, and then return to Canada. Hence, quite rightly, taxed in UK only on UK earnings. Because he can clearly show he is a Canadian living here temporarily. That is the way expats operate-both here and abroad.

Then in the 1990s, things changed. Suddenly, people started using rather more nebulous reasons to be non doms. People came here to live not to work, but to avoid paying taxes on foreign wealth.

People should not underestimate the scale of this. In a recent University study, of the people ordinarily resident in the UK who earned more than £5million p.a, 40% had claimed non-dom status. That's 2 in every 5 of the richest people in the UK expecting you to pay their share of tax.

To be fair to the Tories, under Cameron some of the worst excesses were being curbed. Before 2015, for example, if a British person bought a £10million London home, he had to pay £11.5million due to Stamp Duty Land Tax. Whereas a Russian oligarch paid £0 tax.

There was also introduced a requirement that people stated they did not intend to remain permanently in the UK. But now, instead of people saying they will leave after a fixed-term contract, there is vague rubbish like "at some point I will retire there/look after my parents while ignoring my children" etc.

There needs to be further reform. But not going to happen under this Government.

I dont see a problem with people coming into the UK on fixed term contracts, but the qualifying rules should be stringent.

I think that Sajid Javid is a worse case than Mrs Sunak.
    I cant approve of sportsmen like Lewis Hamilton.
    They sing the praises of the UK.
    Only too happy to describe the fantastic opportunities that they were given.
    Then at the first opportunity, get out to avoid tax.
    Sajid Javid goes on and on about the opportunities this country afforded to the son of a Pakistani bus driver.
    He felt so obligated to pay this country back, he became a non dom, and got involved with an offshore trust.
  • Options
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,963
    edited April 2022

Partygate: Met Police issue 30 more Downing Street lockdown fines

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61081386
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 162,963

Johnson and Sunak to be fined over lockdown parties

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61083402
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

One of which is Boris, another is Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

And Mrs Boris.
  • Options
    The fact that the Conservatives are still comfortably the favourite to win the next election tells you all you need to know.

We get the Prime Minister we deserve.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,352
    Is it me? Have I got the dates/apologies Lies in the right order?

When Boris proffered his ( disingenuous) apology to the house a while ago, he was referring to the garden party in May?

Yet today, his grovelling preprepared speech by his spin doctors were apologising for a FPN for his birthday party in June?

If there’s been 6 FPN to Downing street-as alleged today?

Boris 1 tick
    Rishi 1 tick
    Carrie-whatthefuckcanshepossiblyseeihthattwat -Johnson 1 tick

3 more to come? 🤔