You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Next Conservative leader

Comments

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,034
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,533

Cloned vonder lie in

• Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077
    Doubleme said:

Well I guess thats curtains for legal online poker. Ian Duncan Smith will be put in charge of gambling and you will be seriously lucky if you can play £5 games in the not to distant future.

Some people have pointed out this will be way down on the priority list well yes and no.

Obviously the war in Ukraine, the cost of living crises Covid (even though its not really talked about much its still here) and the vegan blockade soon to become a major issue, will all rank above the gambling white paper.

However people seem to think that just because its way down the priority list it will be a while before they get to it. not really just means it will get a lot less time and be rushed through.

Liz Truss probably cares very little about the gambling white paper. She probably would not care on either extreme if there was no restrictions what so ever and bookies were even free to take money out of your bank account without your permission and say you have to stake through 50 times to get the money out, or the alternative if people were limited to a 50p bet once a month and had to hand in a years worth of bank statements and pay to be audited by accountants to verify they can afford that 50p once a month in order to be allowed to bet.

The thing is though Ian Duncan Smith cares passionately about this issue and to my understanding has made this his number one issue to focus on. He has been a strong backer of Liz Truss and obviously in politics favours for loyalty are exchanged expect Ian Duncan Smith to be put in charge of the gambling white paper. Ian been a gambling prohibitionist the future is very dark for legal gambling in the UK.

I predict within a year or two every single online bookie or gambling site that is legit will have pulled out of the UK because it will literally be impossible for them to turn a profit with the new regulations and restrictions that will come in.

I dont think there is much need to do anything right now just continue as normal. There wont be an option to play online poker through legitimate means once this white paper is finalised so I guess when we have sufficient notice withdraw entire balance when the sites give us deadlines before they close operations in the UK.

I hope I am wrong there is a tiny chance I am but I think this is very unlikely. I just prey they dont geo block black market sites.

mind you when there is a will there is a way.

Tiny chance? You are the statistics guy. I put that the likelihood of what you say actually happening at less than 1%. So-about a 99% chance you are wrong.

Stop believing the Press. They never let the facts get in the way of a good story.

Dim Lizzy has been in office about 5 minutes. She has already made outrageous fiscal promises. As an example, she has promised no new taxes, coupled with the promise to increase spending on just about everything, from Defence to Cost of Living. In addition she has promised to reduce (not increase) existing tax.

Let's leave to 1 side for a minute that anyone who believes you can both increase spending and reduce income simultaneously is an idiot. Let's look at some of the knock-on effects.

It will be essential for Government to seek to increase revenue from existing sources. It is all very well for Ian Drunken Idiot to bang on about gambling. But they both need the money and the jobs the gambling industry provides.

There is not a "windfall" tax on Betting Companies. They are taxed on their genuine profits, both via regular taxation and a special 15% levy. Let's take Flutter as an example. UK profits just shy of £500 million. Then there is the load of employees paying tax instead of claiming benefits.

All that is before dealing with whether Poker should be treated like other gambling.

What Governments say and what they do are 2 different things.

So-yes-there will be some headline-grabbing stuff. But not much will actually change.

Because they need the money.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,412
  • Options
  • Options
    Coming to save the NHS

• Options
    2 different jets to go and see the queen.
    2 different lecterns to make their speeches.

Cost of living crisis though.
  • Options
    I'll give her a chance for now but if she sets foot in Ukraine before Xmas she's toast.
  • Options
    VespaPX said:

2 different jets to go and see the queen.
    2 different lecterns to make their speeches.

Cost of living crisis though.

Us little people are told we must do our bit to save the planet.

But when it comes to Royalty/the Ruling Classes, different rules apply.

I get that the Queen is not physically up to the travel. But, in the normal world, solutions might have included:-

1. Her son doing it
    2. Being done by zoom
    3. Being done by written communication-from fax to text to email

But no-massive cost to the taxpayer and the planet of various people flying about on jollies. As opposed to doing their job.
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,234
    Seriously, I think that for the first time in almost 50 years there is a chance this could be a winter of discontent.

Truss will be almost Thatcher like in her approach to the working class and those on benefits, note she calls them "handouts" whilst cronying up to the typical Tory voter with tax cuts etc.

I'm thinking general strike and before anybody laughs consider this, rail workers and nurses appear to have public support, postal staff are taking action, the legal sector, refuse operatives and shop workers are poised to ignite strike action, and the usual anti Government protest groups will be stirring the pot.

It has all the elements for a perfect storm. If the Unions can get their collective act together, Truss may find she has no economy left to work with.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,598
    edited September 2022
    Unfortunately it sounds more like mayhem and mob rule to me.

The very fabric of society as we have known it is under threat.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    tai-gar said:

Mob rule?

We have the 4th successive Prime Minister who has been elected by the Conservative Party Members. Not the electorate.

A mob who appear to be about as trustworthy as Chelsea :)

Compare and contrast to the considerable democratic processes that are required before a strike can be called...

https://www.gov.uk/industrial-action-strikes/holding-a-ballot
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,024

Much as it pains me to admit it, Ms Truss gave a surprisingly assured performance at PMQ today.
  • Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,598
    Essexphil said:

tai-gar said:

Mob rule?

We have the 4th successive Prime Minister who has been elected by the Conservative Party Members. Not the electorate.

A mob who appear to be about as trustworthy as Chelsea :)

Compare and contrast to the considerable democratic processes that are required before a strike can be called...

https://www.gov.uk/industrial-action-strikes/holding-a-ballot
    I didn’t mean the Unions just that the whole thing has the potential for etc
  • Options
    goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,533
    She'll soon get the N.H.S. back to how it should be ... ready for Privatisation.

I didn't write this never.... not me never.!

• Options
    edited September 2022
    Liz Truss faces powerful ‘awkward squad’ of ex-ministers after failing to sack them in person

Deputy Prime Minister Thérèse Coffey and Chief Whip Wendy Morton were among those to inform ministers of state, who were reshuffled on Wednesday, that their services would no longer be required.

The new Tory awkward squad

Team Sunak

A sizeable caucus headed by the former Chancellor, including the likes of Michael Gove and Dominic Raab. It boasts many former cabinet-level MPs who know how government works.

Anti-net-zero brigade

Potentially Liz Truss’s most problematic group. Made up of her own supporters, such as Julian Knight and Craig Mackinlay, it also includes Cabinet ministers, such as Jacob Rees-Mogg, who will expect a watering down of the green commitments.

Disgruntled former ministers

The likes of Boris Johnson, Priti Patel and Sajid Javid seem unlikely to remain quiet.

2019ers

Boris Johnson believes it was this group that did it for him in the end. The newest intake of Tories, who entered Parliament only months before the pandemic, have shown that loyalty to the Prime Minister is not a given and they will be expecting greater representation in government ranks.

Blue Wallers

Few things will agitate an MP more than the prospect of losing their seat. Should Ms Truss continue to focus on the more northern Red Wall seats with her agenda, Tories in southern commuter belt constituencies will make their feelings known.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/liz-truss-faces-powerful-awkward-squad-of-ex-ministers-after-failing-to-sack-them-in-person/ar-AA11zQfr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=fa36bc1f74754529be209ad2f4e309c6