You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Next Conservative leader

Comments

• Options
    tai-gartai-gar Member Posts: 2,598
    HAYSIE said:

John Lydon backs Jacob Rees-Mogg to be next prime minister

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/john-lydon-jacob-rees-mogg-prime-minister-100950151.html

and what a day that would be

• Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,034
    Can he?

• Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,669
    this is really scary if tom tegundhat wins its game over he is very anti gambling. I would even go as far as to say anyone but him.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,077
    The only way Boris could stand is if the Tories agreed to rip up their rules to let him. Not going to happen.

Meanwhile, the Bookies seem to have this as a 3-horse race at the minute. Last 2 are looking like Sunak, and 1 of Mordaunt/Truss.

Where it will get interesting is what happens when it gets to 2. Because, right now, Rishi looks favourite. But there seem to be quite a few MPs who fit into the "anyone but Rishi" camp. And, while a quick result favours Rishi, a more drawn out contest may well not.

There are likely to be some more twists and turns in this one.
  • Options
    rabdenirorabdeniro Member Posts: 4,229
    Ah know Boris was nuts but Truss is a different box of frogs.
  • Options
    rabdeniro said:

Ah know Boris was nuts but Truss is a different box of frogs.

I believe that Truss is the weakest of the 3. Poor Public speaker. Lacks the ability to look past her own, fairly restrictive, view of the world.

Doesn't mean that she won't win. Major won not because he was good-just that he wasn't Heseltine, and wasn't Hurd.

In 1 sense I admire Rishi for being honest in his belief that we do not have the money to bail out millions of people. But that, coupled with being in the first wave of defections, is going to cost him votes.

That, and the rather strange British snobbery. The bit where we believe people who were born into money are superior to those who make, or marry, theirs.
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,414
    Rishi Sunak rivals gang up on Tory frontrunner as Grant Shapps takes swipe at ‘plotter’

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/rishi-sunak-rivals-gang-tory-173006655.html
  • Options
  • Options
    That didn't take long! The race for No.10 is already mired in claims of affairs and money laundering... and guess which master of the dark arts is already dripping in the poison, writes GLEN OWEN

GLEN OWEN: It is already being called the 'dirtiest Tory leadership race in history', with wild stories about prostitutes, affairs and money laundering being traded on the 'dark web' of Westminster gossip... The bitterness surrounding Boris Johnson's astonishing ejection from office has seeped into the contest to succeed him, with candidates whispering conspiratorially about the source of the fortune of new Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi (pictured bottom left) and the already contentious wealth of his predecessor, Rishi Sunak (pictured bottom right). In characteristic fashion, former Downing Street adviser Dominic Cummings (pictured main) – who waged a long guerrilla campaign against Mr Johnson and is reputed to be hoping for a return to Government if Mr Sunak wins the contest – has published some of the wilder claims on Twitter, writing that it would be 'very Westminster' for 'Boris to get the bullet cos of lies over sex/groping... only to be replaced by someone actually sh***ing their spad!'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10998447/The-race-No-10-mired-claims-affairs-money-laundering-writes-GLEN-OWEN.html
  • Options
    Always find a leadership contest amusing. People falling over themselves in an effort to be more stupid than everyone else.

Nadhim Zahawi is a prime example. Excellent Public speaker. Clever turn of phrase. But clearly bonkers. This is the current Chancellor, ffs. Someone you might fondly imagine has some sort of grip on Economics.

This is his current plan:-

1. Decrease Revenue, by cutting taxes
    2. Increase Expenditure, particularly in that area vital to the struggling, Defence spending

Er, that's it. Unless you count:-

3. Continue to deny the existence of the long-standing criminal investigation by HMRC in relation to his personal tax affairs!

Feels perfectly able to refer to Rishi's previous tax avoidance. While ignoring allegations about his own potential tax evasion.

Coupled with a fiscal plan that amounts to nothing more than spending taxpayers money that he won't have.

Bonkers.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

Always find a leadership contest amusing. People falling over themselves in an effort to be more stupid than everyone else.

Nadhim Zahawi is a prime example. Excellent Public speaker. Clever turn of phrase. But clearly bonkers. This is the current Chancellor, ffs. Someone you might fondly imagine has some sort of grip on Economics.

2. Increase Expenditure, particularly in that area vital to the struggling, Defence spending

3. Continue to deny the existence of the long-standing criminal investigation by HMRC in relation to his personal tax affairs!

Feels perfectly able to refer to Rishi's previous tax avoidance. While ignoring allegations about his own potential tax evasion.

Coupled with a fiscal plan that amounts to nothing more than spending taxpayers money that he won't have.

Bonkers.

Surprisingly, generating less income, coupled with increased expenditure rarely seems to have a happy ending.
    Some of them are advocating knocking the NI increase on the head.
    This would no doubt be popular.
    Although no alternative method of funding Social Care seems to be forthcoming.
    This is despite the fact that there is a wide acceptance that Social Care has been neglected over many years.
    It seems that mountains of sh1t are about to hit the fan, as it appears that the various factions in the Tory Party have secretly supplied the Labour Party with secret dossiers on some of the candidates, and their skeletons.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:
    Still shortening.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:
    Still shortening.
    True.

But still odds against.
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

HAYSIE said:

HAYSIE said:
    Still shortening.
    True.

But still odds against.
    Only just.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

Bonkers.

Surprisingly, generating less income, coupled with increased expenditure rarely seems to have a happy ending.
    Some of them are advocating knocking the NI increase on the head.
    This would no doubt be popular.
    Although no alternative method of funding Social Care seems to be forthcoming.
    This is despite the fact that there is a wide acceptance that Social Care has been neglected over many years.
    It seems that mountains of sh1t are about to hit the fan, as it appears that the various factions in the Tory Party have secretly supplied the Labour Party with secret dossiers on some of the candidates, and their skeletons.
    There is 1 fairly new method for funding Social Care.

It has been sneaked into the Council Tax, via the Adult Social Care precept. And has the evil genius result that people in poor areas actually pay more than those in rich areas.

On the 1 hand, it has been a positive shift towards planning. On the minus side, people in deprived areas, particularly coastal, are paying rather more than those who live in Westminster...
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Doubleme said:

I have been a tory voter my whole life after all this assuming the labour position is the same or not as bad as the restrictions the Tory's would want to impose on gambling I will break ranks for the first time and vote labour next election.

This bit made me chuckle.

• Options
    HAYSIE said:

Doubleme said:

I have been a tory voter my whole life after all this assuming the labour position is the same or not as bad as the restrictions the Tory's would want to impose on gambling I will break ranks for the first time and vote labour next election.

This bit made me chuckle.

I've been a Labour voter since Neil Kinnock.

Always had a fondness for Welsh windbags who drone on too long, turning people away from what started out as a good point :)

On a more serious note, what any Candidate's view is on Gambling should be a long way down anyone's list of priorities. Because it is going to be a long way down any PM's list of priorities...
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    what a joy, pure breath of clean fresh air.
    pause, then think of the years, the blundering blustering bs'ing' buffoon, has pulled the nations chain.Simply listen to this man speak, relaxed, articulate, intelligent, and a bone fide 'proper' been their done it 'real' proper leader.
    My only personal experience, several cretins at Sevenoaks Council wouldn't listen to a 'cockney non polished chav chancer' (yours truly)
    Even though verbatim correct on every point, did not expect Mr Tugendhat to 'weigh in', yet he did, within days,and something Sevenoaks Council, had ducked,dodged, blustered and pontificated about, for years, was astonishingly acted upon, made safe, and vastly improved the quality of life for hundreds of local residents, cost the council less than £10,000,and it only happened, out of sheer frustration and me personally contacting Mr Tugendhat, who proceeded to 'weigh Sevenoaks council right in'.At that exact same time, approx 4 years ago, Sevenoaks Council spent over £125,000 on a revamp of a children's play area right underneath a huge array of vastly untended overgrown trees, of the six seven stories high variety,that's not the point, the point was said trees riddled with huge dangerous half dead branches,£125,000 on a kids play park, but not a few grand on a simple So **** Obvious safety measure, I remember the clown I personally dealt with at Sevenoaks Council, like a labotomised Ghumbass,his cage got well and truly rattled thanks to Mr Tugendhat,plus a, personal letter of thanks! The fella is very all right by me, take as you find and judge on action (s)
    If you take the time to listen below,that's Mr Tugendhat speaking to Sophy Ridge this very morning. Fantastic opening gambit Tom, hope you 'bolt up son'
    had a bit more on at 11/1!
    anti gambling! All in context.
    https://youtu.be/5pYnjcKhPhs
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,034
    edited July 2022
    It's like picking sweetcorn out of a t.urd.....