You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

EURO 2024

Comments

• HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 35,036
  • waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,066
    Doubleme said:

Well do not see England doing well despite what the bookies say.

If England get past Slovakia which is more likely then not, although I can definitely see England losing to Slovakia, then they will face the winner of Switzerland Italy.

shock results can happen and England may get lucky to get Switzerland though most likely I think they get Italy.

I do not see England beating Italy.
    If Somehow England do get past the quatres by either a struggle against Switzeland or a fluke against Italy they will then face either Romania, Turkey, Austria or Holland. Most likely Holland but again we cant be sure.

I do not see England getting past Italy and then past Holland if they do then fair England actually looking like what the odds say but this lacklustre performance so far leaves little confidence in that.

By the looks of it England have the easier side of the draw but Holland and Italy are still strong sides that I do not see England getting past either.

I can see if England somehow do lift the trophy at the end, then the celebrations in the UK will likely be orders of magnitude greater then v day on any of the world wars.

there will be parades in the streets for months and people will celebrate as if they had achieved something which they had absolutely nothing to do with.

This aged well. I thought you were way off with your opinion on Italy but kept quiet in case they finally turned up to the tournament. They have been average at best, no pace and toothless up front and would have much rather faced them than the Swiss. Likewise with Holland, I'd rather play them than Austria who have been superb.
    Watch Italy win now, but can't see it. They are very poor
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Doubleme said:

If England get past Slovakia which is more likely then not, although I can definitely see England losing to Slovakia, then they will face the winner of Switzerland Italy.

shock results can happen and England may get lucky to get Switzerland though most likely I think they get Italy.

If Somehow England do get past the quatres by either a struggle against Switzeland or a fluke against Italy they will then face either Romania, Turkey, Austria or Holland. Most likely Holland but again we cant be sure.

I do not see England getting past Italy and then past Holland if they do then fair England actually looking like what the odds say but this lacklustre performance so far leaves little confidence in that.

By the looks of it England have the easier side of the draw but Holland and Italy are still strong sides that I do not see England getting past either.

I can see if England somehow do lift the trophy at the end, then the celebrations in the UK will likely be orders of magnitude greater then v day on any of the world wars.

there will be parades in the streets for months and people will celebrate as if they had achieved something which they had absolutely nothing to do with.

What is the point of this post. You are a real grumpy sod aren't you
  • lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,723
    It's about time Kane & Co put their shooting boots on.

Never in doubt
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,873
    Forget about 90 minutes just play extra time.........
  • edrichedrich Member Posts: 1,904
    lucy4 said:

The problem here is the toenail.

It will always exist.

Whether you allow the Wenger rule of the whole player being offside, or, any part that can score a goal, there will always be a toenail in some decisions.

I can see the argument for more advantage for the attacking player , therefore there will be more goals, but I don't see the controversy disappearing while we have VAR.

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,226

@edrich is right.

Much as we laugh & mock, we have to draw a line somewhere. A toenail, a finger, an arm? Where do we draw the line if we want to be CORRECT & FAIR?

Do we say "it's OK. it was only a tinsy winsy bit, & that's allowed"?

• VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,272
    Scrap the offside rule all together, make the game more interesting
  • TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,597
    Five things to make football more appealing.

1 Scrap offsides = Defenders actually have to defend.

2 Introduce the basketball rule. Once you take the ball into the opponents half you cannot play it back into your own = Free kick to the opposition on the half way line.

3 No more 3 points for a win 1 for a draw etc just a point for every goal scored = Means even if you're 4-0 down you have something to play for.

4 No substitutions after the 85th minute NO EXCEPTIONS = Stops the blatant disruption of the game.

5 Rugby style time keepers, Independent of the teams who stops the clock every time there is an injury or a disruption to the game = No more 2 minute substitutions, 3 minute goal celebrations etc, because you still got to play every second.
  • DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,975
    So I guess now it looks like England make the semis its not based on us playing well but everyone else not showing up either.

So maybe we make the final I still dont see us winning the final but if we do so what? what does it change about our life apart from the nazi pub been more active for longer which is not good and street parades for weeks which is annoying. I gain nothing from an england win.
    Doubleme said:

So I guess now it looks like England make the semis its not based on us playing well but everyone else not showing up either.

So maybe we make the final I still dont see us winning the final but if we do so what? what does it change about our life apart from the nazi pub been more active for longer which is not good and street parades for weeks which is annoying. I gain nothing from an england win.

Because it's all about you, isn't it Dave
  • goldongoldon Member Posts: 8,873
    " Footy " ....... The crying Game.!
    waller02 said:

Doubleme said:

This aged well. I thought you were way off with your opinion on Italy but kept quiet in case they finally turned up to the tournament. They have been average at best, no pace and toothless up front and would have much rather faced them than the Swiss. Likewise with Holland, I'd rather play them than Austria who have been superb.
    This also aged well.....
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,226
    waller02 said:

waller02 said:

Doubleme said:

This also aged well.....

@waller02

Tonight's Austria - Turkey game is a belter, reminds me of an old-fashioned English cup replay.

Neither team are scared to lose possession, makes for a great game. If only England played like either of these two.

Tikay10 said:

waller02 said:

waller02 said:

Doubleme said:

This also aged well.....

@waller02

Tonight's Austria - Turkey game is a belter, reminds me of an old-fashioned English cup replay.

Neither team are scared to lose possession, makes for a great game. If only England played like either of these two.

Yeah was a great game. That save at the end was 🔥