You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• percival09percival09 Member Posts: 3,804
    edited September 2015
    I'm always surprised by how many people play vid games, until I remember that I pretty much do the same thing for a living. It is something that I'm completely ignorant of though and I imagine TK is the same. He prefers bridges and I prefer... books? on that note, jj, read no limit application or mathematics of poker for theory stuff, both good reads. These theory books won't be outdated like Hellmuth's "how to win at poker", so it's a safe purchase. MoP can be quite difficult to get through if you're not great at maths, but give it a shot imo

also, on the lack of comments, don't look into it. best diary otf
  • DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    I'm always surprised by how many people play vid games, until I remember that I pretty much do the same thing for a living. It is something that I'm completely ignorant of though and I imagine TK is the same. He prefers bridges and I prefer... books? on that note, jj, read no limit application or mathematics of poker for theory stuff, both good reads. These theory books won't be outdated like Hellmuth's "how to win at poker", so it's a safe purchase. MoP can be quite difficult to get through if you're not great at maths, but give it a shot imo also, on the lack of comments, don't look into it. best diary otf
    Posted by percival09
    I had a couple of books in mind that I know I have saved in an email somehwere...

LTBR and The Poker Blueprint. 

I've started both before but got 'stuck'.

I like to think I'm abit better now so may have more joy. 

Neither of these any good nowardays?
  • VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,275
    edited September 2015
    Long time reader Dohhh but prob not qualified to comment on the things you write about poker, but it's an education and very entertaining read.
    Please keep it up
    Cheers
    Mick
    edited September 2015
    I've only read two poker books and those are the two that I recommended. I wouldn't recommend any others, that isn't just coming from me but from everyone else I've spoken to, too. The Poker Blueprint sounds like some elaborate scam and I have no idea what LBTR - is it a spin off from LBGT? 

edit* searched both books. eloborate scam confirmed. "how to crush micro stakes poker" looool and it is £1200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha !!!!!! ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    edited September 2015
    I've only read two poker books and those are the two that I recommended. I wouldn't recommend any others, that isn't just coming from me but from everyone else I've spoken to, too. The Poker Blueprint sounds like some elaborate scam and I have no idea what LBTR - is it a spin off from LBGT?  edit* searched both books. eloborate scam confirmed. "how to crush micro stakes poker" looool and it is £1200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha !!!!!! ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by percival09
    I'll send you both for a fiver ;)

---

Cheers Mick, appreciate the comment :) 

----

1 tabling 6nl whilst watching the World Pool final tonight.

They only let you play 1 webcam game at a time on 888, and they're incedibly soft at 6nl so why not. 

Got up to $20

Then I called a sb open when I was in the BB with Kh5h

Flop was K73r

He cbet 6p.

I just called. 

The turn was 4x.

He barrelled 6p again.

I tried to raise, but it wouldn't let me raise any less than $12. I thought the raise bar was glitching. 

So just called.

River was 2x.

He shoved all in, for what I thought was a massive overbet. 

So I just smiled and folded, thinking vwp my man. 

It wasnt until 2 orbits later, I realised my stack was now $13. And I hadn't done anything. 

Looking back through my HH's on pokertracker...

Turns out the chap bet 6 DOLLARS on the turn.

And I just flicked it in thinking it was 6 cents. 

Seething. 

Eating some hot buttered brown toast to try and regain my composure before taking on 10nl. 

Could end in disaster. 

gl me. 
  • GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,203
    edited September 2015
    If staking helps with the mindset then it sounds like a win win to me. 
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,575
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Largest grossing entertainment industry in the world, and as a scotsman one im proud to see we play a big role in. Specifically at video games aimed for adults only.  Worries me you seem slightly shocked on this. Although that maybe just the way im reading it. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    It's just the way you are reading it, Don.

I'm not shocked or surprised, though it certainly does sadden me in some cases. "Moderation in all things" is fine, but I so often see young children, obsessed, addicted & fixated by video games, & it bothers me greatly. When youngsters get hooked, it can lead to problems in other areas - literacy (or lack of), social skills, ADS, etc. For some years, for one day every week, I helped teach children with severe literacy problems in Sheffield, but they could all drive video games.....

I took the train from London to Edinburgh recently - a fine journey, with some dramatic views, especially north of Newcastle, with Durham Castle, Berwick, & the rugged coast. There was a family of 4 opposite me - Mum, Dad, & two kids, aged around 8 & 10. Those two kids never once looked out of the window or spoke, the entire journey. Their bloodshot eyes never left their video game screen.

I was staying at The Balmoral Hotel, & the next morning, the same family appeared n the rather sumptuous breakfast room. Still glued to their video games, still never spoke a word, even when their parents spoke to them. Their eyes never wavered from the screen, though their ability to eat their breakfast without once looking at it was impressive.  Those parents deserve reporting to the NSPCC, their children have a real uphill life in front of them. 

Popular? Yes, I'm aware of that. "The Sun" newspaper is popular, but that does not make it good, or wholesome. 

There are worse things in life, far worse, but really, the sole reason I made the point I did was because I was laying a little ground bait. 

Dohhhhh was saying his Diary had no interaction, so my bit of ground bait helped liven it up a treat. See what I did there?

• MattBatesMattBates Member Posts: 4,118
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : It's just the way you are reading it, Don. I'm not shocked or surprised, though it certainly does sadden me in some cases. "Moderation in all things" is fine, but I so often see young adults, obsessed, addicted & fixated by video games, & it bothers me greatly. When youngsters get hooked, it can lead to problems in other areas - literacy (or lack of), social skills, ADS, etc. For some years, for one day every week, I helped teach children with severe literacy problems in Sheffield, but they could all drive video games.....   I took the train from London to Edinburgh recently - a fine journey, with some dramatic views, especially north of Newcastle, with Durham Castle, Berwick, & the rugged coast. There was a family of 4 opposite me - Mum, Dad, & two kids, aged around 8 & 10. Those two kids never once looked out of the window or spoke, the entire journey. Their bloodshot eyes never left their video game screen.   I was staying at The Balmoral Hotel, & the next morning, the same family appeared n the rather sumptuous breakfast room. Still glued to their video games, still never spoke a word, even when their parents spoke to them. Their eyes never wavered from the screen, though their ability to eat their breakfast without once looking at it was impressive.  Those parents deserve reporting to the NSPCC, their children have a real uphill life in front of them.  Popular? Yes, I'm aware of that. "The Sun" newspaper is popular, but that does not make it good, or wholesome.  There are worse things in life, far worse, but really, the sole reason I made the point I did was because I was laying a little ground bait.   Dohhhhh was saying his Diary had no interaction, so my bit of ground bait helped liven it up a treat. See what I did there?   
    Posted by Tikay10
    FYP
    edited September 2015
    I'm always surprised by how many people play vid games, until I remember that I pretty much do the same thing for a living. It is something that I'm completely ignorant of though and I imagine TK is the same. He prefers bridges and I prefer... books? on that note, jj, read no limit application or mathematics of poker for theory stuff, both good reads. These theory books won't be outdated like Hellmuth's "how to win at poker", so it's a safe purchase. MoP can be quite difficult to get through if you're not great at maths, but give it a shot imo also, on the lack of comments, don't look into it. best diary otf
    Posted by percival09
    Nope, not ignorant of it at all. Disapprove of it, yes, ignorant of it, no.

I never knew you were a fan of books? It's true, I love bridges, transport things, civil engineering, & all sorts of geeky stuff, but my real passion is books - or more precisely, reading them. Reading books (non-fiction) is such a wholesome pastime. I get through around a book per week, & have done for over 50 years now. I keep them all, too, I've got whole roomfuls of them. 

If I had to choose one thing to do for the rest of my life, it would be to read books. If I had two things I could do, the other would be to encourage everyone to do the same.

What sort of books do you most enjoy?

Ever read Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"? When I become Minister for Education, I shall insist that EVERY child reads that from cover to cover. Their lives will be forever enriched by the experience. 

Video Games, bleurgh. 

edited September 2015
    Gotta get the dig in publically.  few months back you started same roll as me. I believe youve played alot more and crushed and have a much larger roll, however i cant grasp why you haven't moved up instead of just rotating where you play at similar levels. You have more than enough ability to move up. just have the confidence man.  On another note, how was the footie 
    Posted by The_Don90
    Sorry to keep disagreeing with you Don, it's not personal, honest.

Why the fixation on moving up levels once we have beaten a level?

The key to happiness is contentment, & if we can beat a level, why keep moving up until we reach the point of incompetence, & then lose it all? The vast majority of cash players go skint trying to move up levels.

If we can beat, say, 5p-10p, & make, say, £20 per week, that's £1,000 per year. What's not to like about a steady income from our hobby?

I disagree with a LOT of Dohhhhh's views, (especially being staked for cash when he is so clearly long term profitable), but I'm 100% with him on this one. No stress, no strain, no frustration, no "I hate poker", just the drip drip drip of the tap slowly filling our bath with pound notes.

edited September 2015

Nothing like a few Donald posts to boost the numbers.

He should be on TV. 

Amazing mind, hopefully he comes back later with a reply :D 

---

The moving up thing can be debated all day. 

It's something I'd like to do (at least 1, maybe 2 or even 3 more levels) but I'm in no rush to do so. 

I'm in abit of a transitional period away from poker as people who read here often will know. 

Without going too much into it, I do not rely on poker for money. 

There was a time when I was deluded enough to think I'd be able to do this, although I knew deep down(even though I continued to kid myself and others) that it was never going to happen. 

Poker is an amazing game, forget the on table stuff, it has so much power and influence over things you do in life imo (if you allow it, which I believe alot of people do. Myself included).

The 30-50nl games on here 6 years ago were incredibly soft. 

I mean people were throwing £50 notes at me like every 7/8 orbits. I could stay up all night, drinking 20 cans of beer and make £500 easy peasy. 

I often refer to this moment, because it's just so insane....

1 day my dad got up for work at 7am, and as he was putting the kettle on for a brew, I was talking to him whilst getting a beer out the fridge, with the laptop in the living room where I had been 2 tabling 100nl all night with >£1k on the tables.  

It was ridiculously easy. 

Any 18-22 yr old grinders nowardays or even elders new to poker wont believe how different the games were then compared to now. 

In hindsight, this was awful timing for me. Those games back then had (and are still having) a huge negative impact on my life away from the table, and indeed on the table.  

I was silly enough to let it happen, but the trap was so so easy to fall in to. And although I'm ok financially (not loaded or owt!!) now, partly because of them,(but mainly due to an extremely low cost of living and ofc continued poker success in varying formats), you can't really put a price on what it has cost me. 

----

Anyway, less deep, my vision for poker medium term is to make it, as TK said above, a profitable hobby. 

That doesn't mean neccesserily playing once or twice a week for a few hours. 

I would still like to invest alot of time and effort to it, as people do to other 'serious' hobbies such as golf.

As I mentioned before, I love the challenge, and whilst I still feel challenged in the micro stakes, I'll remain in the micro stakes. 

When I feel I need more of a challenge, I'll move up. 

Medium term goals will mean I need to be earning (making?) alot more money. 

I am 100% sure this income will be from avenues which do not involve flops turns and rivers.

But if I can suppliment other income with some moderate winrate in some moderately tough mid stakes online poker games, then happy days :)

Goal 1, before I take on anything more challenging in and out of poker, and to give myself at least some chance of succeeding at both = Get healthy.-er  :D 

-----

Anyway, I'm not exactly crushing at the moment am I ! :P 

If I was rushing up playing 200nl where I'm comfortably rolled you'd be telling me to prove I can beat nl10 first wouldn't you. 

No pleasing some folk ;)

-----

After a decent, yet short session last neet, (despite the $6 misclick) the roll stands at....

£1069.

Pee-King. 

GL all on the grind this week. 

--

P.S Donald post more. 

• bencbenc Member Posts: 1,059
    edited September 2015
    Just caught up on this always a decent read, defo think the staking is a good idea short term if mindset/confidence is not what it should be. Have you come away completely from HU these days? 
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited September 2015
    Hi dohhh.

Nothing inspirational or poker/life advice to give.

Just saying still reading (hooked in fact).

Good news on the health front.

Glglgl. 

• NoseyBonkNoseyBonk Member Posts: 6,175
    edited September 2015
    I'm still reading / enjoying / being inspired too

Invoice to follow.

• pomfrittespomfrittes Member Posts: 2,981
    edited September 2015

I never read this diary.
  • GELDYGELDY Member Posts: 5,203
    edited September 2015
    Pee-king?

Makes me think of a Chinese duck dish.

& it's Moon (Autumn) festival in China today/yesterday

however I guess you were meaning something else

but what exactly?
    edited September 2015

:)

Geldy I think its something i've (unfortunately) picked up from watching twitch. 

peak1
    piːk/
    verb
    gerund or present participle: peaking
    1. reach a highest point, either of a specified value or at a specified time.

Bankroll is peaking /\ :) Interesting question for you Geldy as an Chinese expert. I was watching the World Cup of Pool final where England lost out to Chinese Taipei. 

I enquired about the Georgraphy of Chinese Taipei and got blank faces. 

Can you shed any light?

Is it a country? If not why are they beating us in a World Cup Final? 

-----

Ben, welcome back to the thread. 

No HU at the moment. 

All the efforts are going into cash games for now, with the mental game regressing at a rate of knots I'm not sure I can handle losing 18 out of 20 sngs without doing anything wrong at the mo :) 

HU hyper strategy is so much fun compared to the intense slog of cash games though, it may become tempting in the mid-term! 

Hows it been going? Are you amd the crew still bossing the mid stakes HU scene on here? 

Bring back the team Benc diary :)

-----

Thanks for the posts Pom (welcome :) and Phantom. 

I feel abit bad, I wasn't 'begging' for posts as such, just acknowledging that things have been abit slow lately on here so understandably the interaction had dropped. 

Need to start getting the job done on table to get it moving again. 

Will start working on that right now!

Well after the football.....

Hopefully big positive update to come overnight. 

----

glgl all playing DTD & shizzle t'neet

edited September 2015
    thread gone from "sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" to "read & TKKKKKKKKKK Diary" much better this way imo
    edited September 2015

Have some good idea for future diary topics now that Donald is around and posting. 

Some of the debates I have with Donald on a daily basis are actually insane. 

They will blow your mind. 

If I can get him to publish his views on here, things could get very entertaining. 

He really is much much better at the Karl Pilkington role than Karl himself. 

Watch dis space <3

edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Nope, not ignorant of it at all. Disapprove of it, yes, ignorant of it, no.   I never knew you were a fan of books? It's true, I love bridges, transport things, civil engineering, & all sorts of geeky stuff, but my real passion is books - or more precisely, reading them. Reading books (non-fiction) is such a wholesome pastime. I get through around a book per week, & have done for over 50 years now. I keep them all, too, I've got whole roomfuls of them.  If I had to choose one thing to do for the rest of my life, it would be to read books. If I had two things I could do, the other would be to encourage everyone to do the same.   What sort of books do you most enjoy? Ever read Bill Bryson's "A Short History of Nearly Everything"? When I become Minister for Education, I shall insist that EVERY child reads that from cover to cover. Their lives will be forever enriched by the experience.  Video Games, bleurgh.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I agree with your take on books, and especially non-F. It's such a brilliant way to improve thinking skills (if you do it properly) while at the same time educating yourself. I read mainly nonF - anything from Marx to Hitchens to Orwell to random social science/natural science books, politics, religion, history bla. bla. The reason I earlier mentioned "if you do it properly" is because I've found some people literally just word read. They don't think about what they're reading, you know, they don't pause at an interesting passage and think what that means to them, or what the author actually meant, because some of those old philosophical books are hard to read so it can really take a long time.

Everything in moderation is one of the most common yet true quotes I've come across, simple yet accurate. I do think we ought to be a little concerned with the rise of extreme gaming, mainly for the reasons you gave, but I also think you lose that special attachment with those things around you, whatever they may be, friends, family, nature, education. I used to play plenty of games growing up and I think they're so well made that we should embrace them, but yes, moderation. 

Regarding the ignorance thing, I meant ignorance of games in general. Of course I'm aware of the industry and how well it's doing, but still, I am surprised that our culture has now got to the point where gaming is one of the most common pass-times for people. Then again, it is so popular so perhaps I'm not in a position to question it. Actually, that makes no sense. Look at religion... seems rather impossible not to question it. 

edit: no TK, have not read - will add it to the never ending list. 
    double edit: even better, "everything in moderation including moderation" :)