You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

The DOHHHHHHH Diary

Comments

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,491
    edited September 2015
    I'm going to get shouted down here :)
    I think you're over complicating things. You're naturally a better player than the majority you're facing at these levels. Don't worry so much and just go and play. I really wouldn't worry about being balanced either here.

A couple of things have stuck in my mind that I've read elsewhere.
    Pleno used to back someone at low stakes cash. They would go into huge depth about hands. Pleno would reply that at those levels you should just bet until they raise. And then fold.

The hero calling thing. Mitch Johnson wrote a while ago about how great it is when you call someone down and you're right. He said the trouble was, for every time he was right, he was wrong another 10 times.
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 167,575
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    I'm going to get shouted down here :) I think you're over complicating things. You're naturally a better player than the majority you're facing at these levels. Don't worry so much and just go and play. I really wouldn't worry about being balanced either here. A couple of things have stuck in my mind that I've read elsewhere. Pleno used to back someone at low stakes cash. They would go into huge depth about hands. Pleno would reply that at those levels you should just bet until they raise. And then fold. The hero calling thing. Mitch Johnson wrote a while ago about how great it is when you call someone down and you're right. He said the trouble was, for every time he was right, he was wrong another 10 times.
    Posted by Jac35
    Mitch Johnson, aka Big Mitch, (& he is not tall, but spectacularly rotund) is a guest on next Tuesday's Sky Poker TV Show, along with skalie.

And yes, don't over-complicate things imo. You are going to out-think yourself.                                                                            

• DOHHHHHHHDOHHHHHHH Member Posts: 17,929
    edited September 2015

Well that is the challenge, to get that hero call success rate from 10% to a figure that is profitable :)

abc against poor players is fine, and the best approach for sure. 

How am I going to beat other 5nl regs playing the same as them though? 

They aren't mugs even at that level, they don't throw their money away. They aren't going to own my soul either, but I need to find a way to get their money.

It's possible :D

I was saying to mates the other day, I'd love to know the win-rates of 20nl regulars in a 5nl SNAP poker game over a decent sample.

It'd be really interesting to me to know, and would give some good perspective. 

If anyone is sad enough to want to take on the challenge I'd love to hear how you get on ;)

---

That's actually a decent idea, even if there's someone out there who either isn't a cash player or is, but at a low level, and fancies taking on the challenge of some micro stakes rush poker It'd be cool to get in touch off forum and discuss hands/sessions/opponents etc. 

"Hit me up!"

Any sort of constructive discussion has to beat moaning. 

---

Started bad again today.

But changed my avatar from a fox to a bloke with a big nose.  

Aside from that, he doesn't look anything like Lambert.

Things have turned round abit since.

----

2k posts hypeeeee :)

edited September 2015

We've had a winning day!

Finishing early because of tiredness. (yawwwwn he's moaning about that again)

But is the legit reason. 

Today was the first day in weeks I'd had something other than cereal for breakfast.

Maybe that's why I've ran out of gas?

But is it the lack of coco pops that's causing it.

Or the fact I've eaten bacon. 

The guessing game continues. 

I can't blame breakfast for being cr@p at poker anyway, that's already been done. 

----

1k hands on 888, + abit on unibet = +£18 or something, roll = £1020. 

Was weird playing normal tables again. So much easier to win. But as I have had to explain tonnes today to diff people, it aint all about winning :)

----

Fun hand of the day. 

3 handed @ 2c/4c on unibet with a hugeeeee spew fish. 

button min raises. 

Spew fish calls. 

I make up the extra 4p in the big blind with Qs 2s. 

Flop.  Qh  Qd  2c

Spew fish Open shoves €5

I call all in for €4

Opener calls behind, has us both covered.

Fish = Jx2x

Opener = Qx8x

Turn = 9x

River = 9x

Puke. 

---

No tilt @ shizzle like that though ^

Relatively chilled today. 

Going to bed abit down about the onset of tiredness which certainly puts the trivial poker 'tilt' emotion into perspective :(

----

Back tomorrow for Moar! 

• Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited September 2015
    Glad to hear that the health pros are aware of your water drinking volume and it is being addressed.

I'll leave all the health stuff to the pros now.

So back to pokers - interesting posts on tilt and the challenge.

Alot of what you wrote there resonates with me. I play for the challenge and I like to win. If I just wanted to win I would play £1/£2 6max SNGs and take a stellar ROI and a small but steady increaase in B/R - but I would soon get bored stiff - maybe the challenge would then need to be moving up the levels - but then I might not win. There is the added issue for me that my best format is probably the least popular on the site.

It's why I have taken to PLO8 - really enjoyed the "challenge" of the new game and I seem to be winning with a %60+ success rate although I dont have 1000+games in yet.

Cash always infuriated me - NL cash can be so high variance - I dont have the nitty grinder mentality - I also outthink myself - convince myself that I am being bullied off a pot too often and make a bad call - or convince myself that card x on the turn/river cannot possibly have improved that players hand when yes they have hit their super gapped 2 pair/set/gutshot that the size of the last bet is telling me they did - even if their previous bets/calls had indicated otherwise.

Had to look up what SNAP poker was, cant join you as I am happy only playing here but to me sounds like a super nits dream format. insta fold until a premium is dealt? How do they actually play?

I like the spinups - not much of a poker challenge although it can be a tilt control challenge when the bad beats come thick and fast. 

Unlike you I can go on chase tilt and reg higher buy-ins - my biggest leak by far - so deregging and sitting out is definitely the safer option. However long term for a player of your ability it's defo still -EV.

PS Cricket - nice to see what we can do with 2 spinners on a spinning wicket.

• waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,066
    edited September 2015
    We've had a winning day! Finishing early because of tiredness. (yawwwwn he's moaning about that again) But is the legit reason.  Today was the first day in weeks I'd had something other than cereal for breakfast. Maybe that's why I've ran out of gas? But is it the lack of coco pops that's causing it. Or the fact I've eaten bacon.  The guessing game continues.  I can't blame breakfast for being cr@p at poker anyway, that's already been done.  ---- http://i.imgur.com/ItWLegK.png 1k hands on 888, + abit on unibet = +£18 or something, roll = £1020.  Was weird playing normal tables again. So much easier to win. But as I have had to explain tonnes today to diff people, it aint all about winning :) ---- Fun hand of the day.  3 handed @ 2c/4c on unibet with a hugeeeee spew fish.  button min raises.  Spew fish calls.  I make up the extra 4p in the big blind with Qs 2s.  Flop.  Qh  Qd  2c Spew fish Open shoves €5 I call all in for €4 Opener calls behind, has us both covered. Fish = Jx2x Opener = Qx8x Turn = 9x River = 9x Puke.  --- No tilt @ shizzle like that though ^ Relatively chilled today.  Going to bed abit down about the onset of tiredness which certainly puts the trivial poker 'tilt' emotion into perspective :( ---- Back tomorrow for Moar! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

The answer here is simple. Try having coco pops AND bacon tomorrow, if that is not a winner's breakfast then I don't know what is!
  • hhyftrftdrhhyftrftdr Member Posts: 8,036
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : The answer here is simple. Try having coco pops AND bacon tomorrow, if that is not a winner's breakfast then I don't know what is!
    Posted by waller02
    I deduce that you have porridge for breakfast.
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : I deduce that you have porridge for breakfast.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

I deduce that you have an extra portion of whatever I have for breakfast
  • TeddyBloatTeddyBloat Member Posts: 1,419
    edited September 2015
    doh, if you are grinding late into the night then use this free app: https://justgetflux.com/

all grinders should be using it.

it will help sleep after a session.

enjoying the revived diary, if not the swings within it. 
    edited September 2015

Thanks Teddy, I'll give it a go during tomorrows grinds. Awesome to see you back posting on here :)

Had to look up what SNAP poker was, cant join you as I am happy only playing here but to me sounds like a super nits dream format. insta fold until a premium is dealt? How do they actually play? 
    Posted by Phantom66
    Doh! are you sure you can't be tempted?

You are the ideal candidate to take it on and help me out in the process :)

Let me know if you change your mind, can add you on some social media and get some SNAP based convo going!

re the games...

Some players literally wait for the nuts, I have a reg who plays 7/6 over 700 hands. 

That's pretty easy to play against though right :) 

But overall it's not so bad. 

Alot of players playing pretty solid TAG stats, if they have big holes in their games I certainly can't find them. 

But there are also alot of limpers and people calling down in horrible spots and open shoving 70xbb pre with 66 etc. Loads of fish to make it profitable. 

It's ideal for me atm as I get tired and lose concentration easily, getting more hands when I can actually play is a big advantage.

Surely you can spare an hour to give it a shot? ;)

-------

Today has been a less than enjoyable day. 

I woke and played abit of snap poker at around 8.30am but couldn't settle, felt tired (as usual) but also unsuaully agitated and tetchy. 

Turned out to be 1 of those days where I hit a complete wall of tiredness. Ended up sleeping 10am-1pm and then 3.30pm till 6.45pm. 

That after a full nights sleep. 

Absolutely drained out of nowhere :/ 

-----

Tonight instead of forcing myself to play I watched the start of Lambos charity prop bet, where I've said I'll donate £30 to his favourite chairty if he can beat 25nl ZOOM cash games over 5,000 hands. (and £10 if he can't)

Just abit of fun, and interesting to watch too. 

He did pretty well considering he ran bad (when doesn't he), and after 2k hands is down a couple of buyins. 

Wide open going into the 2nd leg! 

-----

Non poker observation.

Im not really bothered about music at all.

I don't have a favourite band or song really, I dnt follow artists or buy albums, I never have.

But saw on TV an advert for a compilation album which sounded like it might be good to have on whilst grinding and decided to search for it on spotify. 

Turns out all 3 disks are on spotify, in full, and available for free.

Makes me wonder how CDs and paying for music is even a thing. 

----

Had a look at sporting fixtures around Yorkshire this weekend and noticed Castleford v St Helens in the rugby league tomorrow night. 

Really fancied it, so got on to the train times and the last train home is 10.05pm, which doesn't give much time in a town I know nothing about to get from the stadium to the station, so have to give it a miss :(

Back for more poker instead :/ 

Roll = £1002. 

edited September 2015
    In Response to Re::
    @ hhhwwhrfuiheurfh. - I've not been to any matches during Mr Dickovs reign (that will be changing this yr :), but the 2 full seasons he's had in charge have been marred by pre season lunacy at boardroom level. Last year was particularly bad with the failed takeover a week before the season leaving his squad in tatters. He actually did pretty well getting us in semi playoff contention. This is his first proper season in my eyes, he actually stands a chance so I'm allowing myself to be optimistic. But knowing football, a few early losses and he could come under real pressure. It would be very unfair on him imo, probably deserves 2 and a half more seasons from now (barring any downward disasters) to get something going
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    #Reads

gg, gl Dickov. 

Done a decent job in tough circumstances. 

Lee Clark will do.
    edited September 2015
    Thanks Teddy, I'll give it a go during tomorrows grinds. Awesome to see you back posting on here :) In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Doh! are you sure you can't be tempted? You are the ideal candidate to take it on and help me out in the process :) Let me know if you change your mind, can add you on some social media and get some SNAP based convo going! re the games... Some players literally wait for the nuts, I have a reg who plays 7/6 over 700 hands.  That's pretty easy to play against though right :)  But overall it's not so bad.  Alot of players playing pretty solid TAG stats, if they have big holes in their games I certainly can't find them.  But there are also alot of limpers and people calling down in horrible spots and open shoving 70xbb pre with 66 etc. Loads of fish to make it profitable.  It's ideal for me atm as I get tired and lose concentration easily, getting more hands when I can actually play is a big advantage. Surely you can spare an hour to give it a shot? ;) ------- Today has been a less than enjoyable day.  I woke and played abit of snap poker at around 8.30am but couldn't settle, felt tired (as usual) but also unsuaully agitated and tetchy.  Turned out to be 1 of those days where I hit a complete wall of tiredness. Ended up sleeping 10am-1pm and then 3.30pm till 6.45pm.  That after a full nights sleep.  Absolutely drained out of nowhere :/  ----- Tonight instead of forcing myself to play I watched the start of Lambos charity prop bet, where I've said I'll donate £30 to his favourite chairty if he can beat 25nl ZOOM cash games over 5,000 hands. (and £10 if he can't) Just abit of fun, and interesting to watch too.  He did pretty well considering he ran bad (when doesn't he), and after 2k hands is down a couple of buyins.  Wide open going into the 2nd leg!  ----- Non poker observation. Im not really bothered about music at all. I don't have a favourite band or song really, I dnt follow artists or buy albums, I never have. But saw on TV an advert for a compilation album which sounded like it might be good to have on whilst grinding and decided to search for it on spotify.  Turns out all 3 disks are on spotify, in full, and available for free. Makes me wonder how CDs and paying for music is even a thing.  ---- Had a look at sporting fixtures around Yorkshire this weekend and noticed Castleford v St Helens in the rugby league tomorrow night.  Really fancied it, so got on to the train times and the last train home is 10.05pm, which doesn't give much time in a town I know nothing about to get from the stadium to the station, so have to give it a miss :( Back for more poker instead :/  Roll = £1002. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

The highlighted part is quite shocking to read!

Really hope this gets sorted soon mate.
    edited September 2015

Thanks Rik, the doc gave me a months worth of meds and then a repeat prescription and told me to get re-tested in 4 months, so not expecting anything to improve over night.

Trying some more cards today, giving SNAP a miss because it turns me into a psychopath. 

[  ]  Normal tables going well 

JJ < AA on AATJ v a guy who has been open shoving pre as wide as 63o, Q3o etc. 

tbf he did try his best to help me out by taking the strongest line possible :)

The only way is up! 
  • stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,776
    edited September 2015
    have you tried pro-plus
  • tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,751
    edited September 2015
    Have you tried giving poker a break for a week and getting some fresh air/doing different things? Concentrating on something like poker for a period of time must have an impact on our brain function, I am no expert but I do know when I have a fairly long session and had some bad beats or particularly difficult sessions I find I am extremely tired the following day (present circumstances excluded) 

Really hope you follow up on docs and keep pushing for answers, it does seem nowadays the easy answer is a packet/bottle of pills., but we do have to do our part as well in keeping balance in our lives, good luck my good man.
  • Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    edited September 2015
    Doh! are you sure you can't be tempted? You are the ideal candidate to take it on and help me out in the process :) Let me know if you change your mind, can add you on some social media and get some SNAP based convo going! re the games... Some players literally wait for the nuts, I have a reg who plays 7/6 over 700 hands.  That's pretty easy to play against though right :)  But overall it's not so bad.  Alot of players playing pretty solid TAG stats, if they have big holes in their games I certainly can't find them.  But there are also alot of limpers and people calling down in horrible spots and open shoving 70xbb pre with 66 etc. Loads of fish to make it profitable.  It's ideal for me atm as I get tired and lose concentration easily, getting more hands when I can actually play is a big advantage. Surely you can spare an hour to give it a shot? ;)
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Hmmm not selling it to me I'm afraid.

Not sure why I would be ideal - I suck at NL cash so losing money faster at more hands per hour isn't tempting. The only time I consistently won at cash was FL probably a decade or so ago!

Having to reactivate or reg a new account elsewhere is a barrier

Dont want to turn this into a HUD debate - but the fact I would know that the regs are nearly all using one would put me off.

Bad players being more tempted to the format I kind of get. The same applies to Spinups, in theory harder to beat the game but in practice does the weaker player pool, coupled with the blunted edge for the proper regs make them profitable?

I am still trying to work the answer out to that on spinups - slightly up on a sample of 155 sessions (I think I need 1000 sessions to be even remotely convinced either way).

The tempting bait there is the opportunity to discuss hands/strategy offline - if I could do that on spinups I would snap it up.

edited September 2015

Good evening.

Phantom, I'm done with it. 

I cannot do anything in the games, and the stress it causes me aint worth it. hahaha. 

I admit defeat.

My initial goal was to play 20,000 hands at 5nl zoom, just to prove I can beat it before taking on 10nl zoom. (This method of confidence building was suggested by Balugawhale in an article I read)

Well I'm at 18k, I'll complete the challenge then that's it. 

It's done everything but instill confidence :D 

-----

Anyway, livening things up abit!

I returned to sky, and did not lose. 

Makes me a liar, as I swore I'd never play on here again below 20nl. 

But it just seemed like the best option available tonight, that's how bad things have been going elsewhere. 

1 thing sky has in it's favour over other sites is the chatbox. 

Not for the normal/boring cliche' reasons such as "banter" etc. 

But some quality fish comments. 

"That's 4 times he's had AA all in against a lower pair tonight"

"And he won all of them apart from 1. unreal" 

<3

---------

I looked further into the list of football league grounds in Yorkshire that I haven't been to, and there are actually 3. 

Bramall Lane.
    New York Stadium.
    Glandford Park (Scunny)

Sheff U v Bury tomorrow to start ticking them off.

Looked around the websites of Casinos in Sheffield. 

Smallest cash game is £1/2

That wont be happening then :(

-----

Roll = 1012 pounds and 22 pence. 

• Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,491
    edited September 2015
    Have a punt at a buy in at 1/2 and have fun
    edited September 2015
    Good evening. Phantom, I'm done with it.  I cannot do anything in the games, and the stress it causes me aint worth it. hahaha.  I admit defeat. My initial goal was to play 20,000 hands at 5nl zoom, just to prove I can beat it before taking on 10nl zoom. (This method of confidence building was suggested by Balugawhale in an article I read) Well I'm at 18k, I'll complete the challenge then that's it.  It's done everything but instill confidence :D  ----- Anyway, livening things up abit! I returned to sky, and did not lose.  Makes me a liar, as I swore I'd never play on here again below 20nl.  But it just seemed like the best option available tonight, that's how bad things have been going elsewhere.  1 thing sky has in it's favour over other sites is the chatbox.  Not for the normal/boring cliche' reasons such as "banter" etc.  But some quality fish comments.  "That's 4 times he's had AA all in against a lower pair tonight" "And he won all of them apart from 1. unreal"  <3 --------- I looked further into the list of football league grounds in Yorkshire that I haven't been to, and there are actually 3.  Bramall Lane. New York Stadium. Glandford Park (Scunny) Sheff U v Bury tomorrow to start ticking them off. Looked around the websites of Casinos in Sheffield.  Smallest cash game is £1/2 That wont be happening then :( ----- Roll = 1012 pounds and 22 pence. 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH

Scunny isnt in yorkshire! I live fairly near to Scunny, have been to many a Grimsby v Scunny derby and even played at Glandford Park myself back in the day.

The place is a dive, s*** ground. no fans.............but it is in Lincolnshire mate (mores the pity because Yorkshire would be welcome to have them haha).
    edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary":
    In Response to Re: "Sit & DOHHHHHHH Diary" : Scunny isnt in yorkshire! I live fairly near to Scunny, have been to many a Grimsby v Scunny derby and even played at Glandford Park myself back in the day. The place is a dive, s*** ground. no fans.............but it is in Lincolnshire mate (mores the pity because Yorkshire would be welcome to have them haha).
    Posted by waller02

aha!!

In the words of Regitimepoker...

"Waller you legend".

Saved me a day out in Scunny.  

I wonder why google lied to me :(

If you're a local, you must've seen the series of SKINT that was shot there?

Focussing on a bloke called Dean and his tribe of young ens.

1 of my favourite TV series of all time that. He's abit like Don, great comedy character, who somehow actually exists in real life!

----

Game of 2 halves at the footy today.

First half as drab as I've seen live.

2nd 45, 1 of the better halves I've seen.

I was surprised to see the Blades had 'friend of thread' Jac's favourite Derby player of recent times Mr.Salmon up top alongside the Donny legend Billy Sharp.

From what I heared, the United faithful enjoy watching him play equally as much as Jacco did, too. :D

-----

Night off cards. (although I may have won @ SNAP earlier! :o )

Looking forward to the Boxing and then an early night. (shattered)

Back to poker & the deciding ODI tomorrow.