You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

The Longer Than Expected Bankroll Challenge......next target £5k

Comments

• Options
    Itsover4uItsover4u Member Posts: 1,534
    Good luck this year I think you will smash it and be in all the bigger games sooner rather than later
  • Options
    waller02waller02 Member Posts: 9,014
    Itsover4u said:

Good luck this year I think you will smash it and be in all the bigger games sooner rather than later

Thanks Danny. Nice win the other night.

Btw I owe a lot to both yourself and @StayOrGo as it was the pair of you who gave me some of your time and first inspired me to put the effort in away from the tables. Without that I don't think I would have gone on to invest in my game.

Happy New Year, hope you have a great 2020.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    waller02 said:

Congrats on a very solid first 6 months of this challenge and I'm pleased to see it continuing after a little drunken wobble the other day :). Breaking it up into smaller monthly goals sounds like a good plan too.

I'll certainly understand if you'd rather not answer this next question, but I'll ask it all the same... So, since you started your coaching with Melty, in what ways do you think your game/approach has changed?

Happy New Year and very best of luck for 2020!

Happy New Year.

Firstly, well played last night. Decent result to start the year.

To answer your question, you're right, I don't want to go into too much detail. All I can say is that he has highlighted spots that in the past where I would have just called when in fact the better line would be to raise, bluffing in spots where I block the nuts etc. Basically trying to stop being too passive and being more aggressive, and not being afraid to bluff my stack off (in the right spots and in moderation ofc). Also worked on pre flop 3b and re-jam ranges etc and talked about ICM. Pretty much analysed my whole game from top to bottom and highlighted the areas I need to work on the most.

I have only got 2 sessions left now. The challenge then is to take it all on board, stick with the methods and keep trying to improve. Anybody who is considering coaching needs to understand that it is not a quick fix. You can have all the coaching in the world but that's only half the job, the hard part is putting it into practice.

I have already won the money back that I paid for coaching with a few hundred more on top of that, so that has proven to me that it was wise decision. I just hope that I don't slip back into bad habits and can keep improving. As previously mentioned, Andy has been great and given me a lot more time than I actually paid for as he encourages me to post hands, always asks how I'm doing and often rails. Top bloke.
    Thanks although coming second is always a little bitter-sweet.

Appreciate the frank answer and I guess I'll now have to update the colour tag I have for you from ABC to PITA ;).

Agree that knowing the right play and actually managing to implement it can be a far harder task than it may seem but I have no doubt you're in for a very prosperous 2020 at the tables.
  • Options
    Quick update from Thursday night.

Would have been nice to get the year off to a flyer, but that involves playing well and unfortunately I had a stinker. Far too many poor calls. I need to cut those out, I know I'm more than likely behind but still end up pressing the call button.

I'll put it down to being too eager to start the year with a profitable night and take a few extra seconds to think about the hand in future sessions.

I didn't get chance to play last night as I was on call for the day again. Also unable to play tonight as it is my daughter's 17th birthday today. The thought that I'm almost the father of an adult is scary, I still feel like I'm 21 myself! Time really does fly by.

Thur 2nd
    16:30 - £5.50 BH (11th £7.53 + £14.39 head prizes)
    17:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    18:00 - £7.20 Main Semi (X)
    18:30 - £5.50 BH (X £5.64 head prizes)
    19:00 - £7.70 BH (X)
    19:45 - £11 BH (X £4.69 head prizes)
    20:00 - £33 Main (X £11.25 head prizes)
    20:15 - £11 BH (X)
    20:30 - £5.50 BH (X)
    £6 Sheriff All Ins
    £1 Won in freeroll

After a brief conversation, I've decided not to set myself any monthly profit targets as you can play your A game and still come away with a loss. I'm keep keeping the Volume/FT/Win targets though as these can both keep me motivated to play and help me focus when I get to the last few tables of an MTT. I won't be counting sats or freerolls.

Progress so far (target in brackets):

MTTs: 8 (200)
    FTS: 0 (15)
    Wins: 0 (5)

Start BR: £100
    Current: £2562.76

Have a great weekend all.
  • Options
    I've been giving some thought for a few weeks now on whether or not to continue with the diary. Recently I've found it's just adding too much pressure on me. I'm at a stage now where the ABI of each session has increased and as such the games are slightly tougher, then instead of fully focussing on my games, I'm finding myself worrying about having to write up about any bad sessions. It's having the opposite effect than I ever intended it to have.

I just want to give my full attention to the games now and play through the rocky patches without having to worry about how I'm going write about them without coming across like I'm moaning.

Thanks to all the readers and everyone who has posted messages of support. If (and it feels like a big if right now) I do get to 5k, then 10k, I'll pop on and let you know.

Thanks again.
    Ryan

• Options
    mumsiemumsie Member Posts: 7,355
    That's a great summary Ryan , it never occurred to me that the dynamics of the game change with the pressures of reporting on them.
    Succinctly put.
  • Options
    Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 160,318

@waller02

Hi Ryan,

"...without having to worry about how I'm going write about them without coming across like I'm moaning....."

I don't believe a single person on this Forum thinks you are moaning, you just express the ups & downs exactly as they are, & as such it makes a really terrific read.

Having said that, I respect your decision mate, & wish you luck with the rest of the journey.
  • Options
    MAXALLYMAXALLY Member Posts: 17,523
    Check your pm's mate.
  • Options
    DEL560DEL560 Member Posts: 487
    edited January 2020
    Hi Ryan.

Really enjoyed reading your Progress so don't ever think you were moaning, it's part of the game unfortunately and in a way it is reassuring a Good player goes through bad spells too.

Thanks for taking the time to detail rssults on a daily basis which must have been very time consuming. Maybe you could do a 'weekly/monthly' summary instead?

GL m8!
  • Options
    mumsie said:

That's a great summary Ryan , it never occurred to me that the dynamics of the game change with the pressures of reporting on them.
    Succinctly put.

It shouldn't do, and it never used to. But it does now for some reason, probably because I'm in new territory as far as the games I'm mostly playing now are concerned.

I'm aware it may look a bit like "Oh he's hit a lean spell and is throwing the towel in" but I'm certainly not throwing the towel. I'm as passionate about the game as I've ever been and my desire to improve has never been as strong.

I'm just finding it difficult to brush off a bad night when I have to sit and document it. It feels like rubbing salt into the wound, whereas if I have a bad night in "private" I can just forget about it. Plus yeah in recent weeks it has started entering my mind mid session after bricking the first few games, I start trying to force things so I don't have to give another bad write up. That's just counter productive.

I'm still going to be playing most nights and trying to build the bankroll but I'm at the stage now where I think I would get on far better if I did that more privately.

• Options
    chrisdonkbchrisdonkb Member Posts: 128
    Easier said than done but I'd try not to let it bother you Ryan. Everyone who plays mtts will have periods where they do nothing but log on, lose money, log off. Can last for a long time depending on volume/which games you're playing which is disheartening for sure but everyone knows it happens.

Could use the diary for posting one hand a night that you found interesting or talking about a particular scenario you feel unsure about so that the entry isn't based on the losing session (which is going to happen more often than you win). Or you could do weekly/monthly recaps etc if you wanted to as I'm sure plenty of people want to see it.
  • Options
    stokefcstokefc Member Posts: 7,634
    just post when you want Ry once a week or fortnightly cuz i,m pretty sure your roll will head north despite you having bad sessions .gl mate
  • Options
    bbMikebbMike Member Posts: 3,701

Easier said than done but I'd try not to let it bother you Ryan. Everyone who plays mtts will have periods where they do nothing but log on, lose money, log off. Can last for a long time depending on volume/which games you're playing which is disheartening for sure but everyone knows it happens.

Could use the diary for posting one hand a night that you found interesting or talking about a particular scenario you feel unsure about so that the entry isn't based on the losing session (which is going to happen more often than you win). Or you could do weekly/monthly recaps etc if you wanted to as I'm sure plenty of people want to see it.

Agree with this, it’s your diary of course but could consider repurposing as per the above. Making a diary that focuses on reporting results is naturally going to make you over focus on the short term results. Posting spots or less frequently or about something else may help.
  • Options
    DuesenbergDuesenberg Member Posts: 1,740
    I can certainly understand your thinking Waller. When I've had challenges/diaries running on here in the past I've sometimes found myself suffering from 'diary tilt' - having my in-game decisions negatively effected by a focus on short-term results in order to post a positive update. It was always a doubled-edged sword for me though as keeping a blog also helped keep the motivation/volume levels up. Just don't let a fear of coming across as a perpetually moaning Minnie be the sole reason for packing this in as you certainly don't come across that way.

There are definitely some good suggestions above for changing the general nature of your diary but, if you do ultimately decide to knock it on the head, you absolutely have to give it a well deserved smug bump if when you reach the £5k profit mark :).

• Options

@waller02

How is the Challenge going Ryan?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Hi @Tikay10

I have hardly played for 2 weeks as I'm on call at work again until Monday. The break has done me good though as I was struggling a bit to be honest.

The bankroll is still healthy enough although I have used Sky Bet to place a couple of sports bets alongside my annual Cheltenham antepost bet:

£30 Non runner No bet
    Honeysuckle (Mares hurdle) 5/4 - After Benie des Dieux performance yesterday I'm hating this unless Mullins aims her at the Stayers now, there is even talk of Honeysuckle having a pop at the Champion Hurdle if she runs well in the Irish equivalent on 1st Feb. In which case it's non runner no bet.
    Altior (Champ Chase) 5/2 - Defi du seuil looks a real danger now but 5/2 for the 2 mile king is too attractive to ignore. Can't write him off after a failed attempt stepping up in trip.
    Tiger Roll (Cross Country) 10/11 - Recovering from surgery but should be fit in time.
    Paisley Park (Stayers) 11/10 - Was a banker but yesterday's news regarding Benie des Dieux has changed matters. Either way I think it's Benie that will screw the bet over, just like she did last year when she fell at the last!

Returns: £947.15

I'm going to Cheltenham on the Wednesday for the first time, can't wait.

There will be no more bets on Sky from now on though so I will give a monthly BR update at the end of the month.
  • Options

Thanks Ryan, good stuff.

What exactly is the bet? (Singles, Yankee, Win or EW etc).

Glad to hear all is well.

I used to be a Member at Cheltenham, & loved it, & never missed the Festival for a decade or more, but oh my, it eventually became insufferably crowded, far above my tolerance levels.
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Thanks Ryan, good stuff.

What exactly is the bet? (Singles, Yankee, Win or EW etc).

Glad to hear all is well.

I used to be a Member at Cheltenham, & loved it, & never missed the Festival for a decade or more, but oh my, it eventually became insufferably crowded, far above my tolerance levels.

4 fold Win
  • Options
    As previously mentioned, I am still cracking on with the challenge but will only be giving monthly updates from now on. Although I will still pop up occasionally if there are any hands I need advice on or if there are any significant results

I haven't played a great deal of poker for 3 weeks now due to being on call and working away but I'm back home with plenty of free time now so will be increasing the volume, starting tonight.

Bit of a boring update really as there isn't much to report. My coaching has finished now and it's just a case of working hard at everything that was covered. I really enjoyed the lessons and would recommend the coaching route to anybody who has the desire to try and improve. It really is money well spent. Huge thanks to Andy who gave me so much more of his time then I expected, much appreciated.

I'm going to have a crack at @PKRPar bingo challenge as it looks fun. Good luck to everybody else taking part.

Start BR: £100
    Current: £2702.51
  • Options
    PKRParPKRPar Member Posts: 2,233
    very nice bankroll mate :) gl in bingo and update in thread when you're close to an FT so we can sweat ;)