You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Covid 19 UK.

Comments

• Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,024
    Premier League clubs have carried out 748 tests with 6 positive tests having been returned,that translates to 0.8 % being positive.Do those results mirror the national average or are those statistics not available ?
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    We are almost top of the league( the one you don't want to top...)

Whilst we have the highest death rate in Europe numerically, the key statistic to measure 'performance' (sic) is the death rate per M of population...

Countries with smaller populations skew the data SO of the 29 countries with a population of 50m or more, we are 21st with 67.8m, France 22nd with 65.3m and Italy 23rd with 60.3m so to death rates per M as follows:

Italy 532 per M
    UK 521 per M
    France 429 per M

Sadly we lag approx 2 weeks behind Italy.....

Don't like the look of where it's going....I hope we have a post mortem of this govt soon after...

They are now trying to blame the scientists....appalling
  • Options
    lucy4lucy4 Member Posts: 7,024
    I may have worded my question wrongly,I wondered if the 748/6 results scaled up to the national average of cases per people tested. Was the 748/6 a good sample size to determine how many actual cases there are in the country? As it's the first actual statistic I've heard that states the number of tests - results. If the results do stack up,that equates to 0.8 % of 67million which is 536000 infected people. Does that sound right or have I got my figures completely ar se about ti ts ?
  • Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 31,982
    lucy4 said:

I may have worded my question wrongly,I wondered if the 748/6 results scaled up to the national average of cases per people tested. Was the 748/6 a good sample size to determine how many actual cases there are in the country? As it's the first actual statistic I've heard that states the number of tests - results. If the results do stack up,that equates to 0.8 % of 67million which is 536000 infected people. Does that sound right or have I got my figures completely ar se about ti ts ?

It is almost impossible to get any accurate information out of this Government.
    I am not sure if they would even know the answer.
    There has been very little testing so far.
    Much of the testing has been directed towards those with symptons, NHS staff, care home staff and residents etc.
    Some have been tested more than once, but they appear to be just counting the number of tests.
    I am not sure if any random group of the general public has been tested.
    Obviously you would expect a much lower percentage of positive tests from a random group, than a group of those with symptoms, or front line NHS staff.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    Would like to contribute,factual observations,in my own experience, yesterday,during a ' short' point to point,half hour drive,North Kent,Sussex,Gatwick,Dormansland area.

Large Industrial Estate,wont name names,but,big business,and lots of Micro Business,four weeks ago,like the Mary Celeste,yesterday,all car parks packed,never seen it busier,inc,wholesale supplier,( huge) to,market traders,and ' budget shops' trade car park Full ! That's cars,and people ( hundreds) .At the exit ( T junction) flow of traffic,like ' the rush hour ' ! At said exit,three top name retailers,wont name two,who were open,the one closed,Greggs Baker's,next to,two Goliath retail names,car park Full, queues,none,retailers packed.

On drive home,huge drive in car valeters,jam packed,and,this surprised me? Quintessential dinky Kent Village,..cafe- coffee bar,open trading seated punters ? And,delicatessent ? Can't spell that! Eat in,take out,sandwich type establishment,open,trading,seated punters.

Have I missed? A we are reopen for business blunder? from BoJo

• Options
    Government admits beleaguered NHS tracing app that holds key to getting schools and country back to work WON'T be ready by June 1 as health leaders warn Boris Johnson time is running out to establish track-and-trace strategy within 10 days

Ministers today admitted a crucial coronavirus smartphone app will not be ready by June 1 as NHS chiefs warned 'time is running out' to launch a track-and-trace system to avoid a second deadly wave. Security minister James Brokenshire (inset centre) said the app (pictured left), which detects which users have been in contact with people who test positive for the disease, would be ready in the 'coming weeks'. But he insisted the contact tracing regime can still be in place by the hard deadline set by Boris Johnson (centre in Downing Street yesterday), with plans to bring back schools, shops and businesses hanging in the balance as the economy goes into meltdown. The PM has hailed a 25,000-strong army of trackers recruited to identify the contacts of infected victims and prevent outbreaks. But Niall Dickson, chief executive of the NHS Confederation - which represents organisations across the healthcare sector - warned the draconian lockdown cannot be loosened without a 'clear implementation plan'. The new app has been tested on the Isle of Wight (pictured right) but its rollout has been delayed for weeks because of security flaws and it failed to work on all types of smartphone.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html
  • Options
    misterpjmisterpj Member Posts: 3,204
    And,across the pond;

Not saying,I agree,or disagree,wuth the sentiments expressed,but,those are actual,real non photoshopped,pictures.

.p.j.
  • Options
    madprofmadprof Member Posts: 3,297
    Now...about the discussions about returning to school in June?.....

"A matter of class?
    There has been a lot of discussion about schools re-opening and the fact that Eton isn’t.
    What is Eton?
    Eton is one of only 4 fee-paying,boys only,boarding-only schools in Britain(the others are Harrow,Radley and Winchester.)Eton(21),Harrow(7) and Winchester(6) have provided 34 of the 56 British Prime Ministers there have ever been.That’s 3 schools(out of 20,000) providing 60% of Prime Ministers.In fact only 9 of Britain’s 56 Prime Minisfers didn’t go to fee-paying schools.2(Attlee and Blair) of Labour’s 6 Prime Ministers went to fee-paying private schools.

Money
    It costs £42,000 per year to go to Eton.In 1995 the school received a £3 million grant from the National lottery to build a sports centre(the school contributed £200,000!).This whilst public youth and leisure services were disappearing.The school has 50 cricket,soccer and rugby pitches.
    Eton receives substantial tax breaks as a charity.It is one of the 100 largest charities in Britain.
    For some reason it received farming subsidies from the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy even though it does no farming!(it received them for ‘environmental improvements!).

Ability to re-open with social distancing.
    Eton has 1,350 students and covers 76 square miles.It’s teacher to pupil ratio is 8:1.It’s average class size is 12.It seems ideal as an appropriate test case for a school re-opening with social distancing.

Re-opening Eton
    It is obviously an important school for the economy.21 British prime ministers,thousands of top business people are former pupils,tax breaks,EU subsidies,National Lottery grants and income from fees of £56 million a year.

We can’t afford to have it closed.

WE DEMAND - RE-OPEN ETON ON 1st JUNE.THE ECONOMY NEEDS IT.

(I wonder how many of the owners of the newspapers calling for schools to re-open want their children’s public school to re-open on 1st June?)"
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 7,999
    edited May 2020
    I agree with you about Eton. But it is easy to forget all of the Private Schools outside of the top 6 or 10.

Number of PMs from any private school without a strong connection to Eton or similar? 0

Number of these schools facing bankruptcy due to all parents refusing to pay fees? Nearly all of them.

In September, loads of these pupils will be returning to state schools which are ill-equipped to cope.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    madprof said:

Now...about the discussions about returning to school in June?.....

"A matter of class?
    There has been a lot of discussion about schools re-opening and the fact that Eton isn’t.
    What is Eton?
    Eton is one of only 4 fee-paying,boys only,boarding-only schools in Britain(the others are Harrow,Radley and Winchester.)Eton(21),Harrow(7) and Winchester(6) have provided 34 of the 56 British Prime Ministers there have ever been.That’s 3 schools(out of 20,000) providing 60% of Prime Ministers.In fact only 9 of Britain’s 56 Prime Minisfers didn’t go to fee-paying schools.2(Attlee and Blair) of Labour’s 6 Prime Ministers went to fee-paying private schools.

Money
    It costs £42,000 per year to go to Eton.In 1995 the school received a £3 million grant from the National lottery to build a sports centre(the school contributed £200,000!).This whilst public youth and leisure services were disappearing.The school has 50 cricket,soccer and rugby pitches.
    Eton receives substantial tax breaks as a charity.It is one of the 100 largest charities in Britain.
    For some reason it received farming subsidies from the EU’s Common Agricultural Policy even though it does no farming!(it received them for ‘environmental improvements!).

Ability to re-open with social distancing.
    Eton has 1,350 students and covers 76 square miles.It’s teacher to pupil ratio is 8:1.It’s average class size is 12.It seems ideal as an appropriate test case for a school re-opening with social distancing.

Re-opening Eton
    It is obviously an important school for the economy.21 British prime ministers,thousands of top business people are former pupils,tax breaks,EU subsidies,National Lottery grants and income from fees of £56 million a year.

We can’t afford to have it closed.

WE DEMAND - RE-OPEN ETON ON 1st JUNE.THE ECONOMY NEEDS IT.

(I wonder how many of the owners of the newspapers calling for schools to re-open want their children’s public school to re-open on 1st June?)"

Unfortunately this will not change any time soon.
  • Options
    misterpj said:

Would like to contribute,factual observations,in my own experience, yesterday,during a ' short' point to point,half hour drive,North Kent,Sussex,Gatwick,Dormansland area.

Large Industrial Estate,wont name names,but,big business,and lots of Micro Business,four weeks ago,like the Mary Celeste,yesterday,all car parks packed,never seen it busier,inc,wholesale supplier,( huge) to,market traders,and ' budget shops' trade car park Full ! That's cars,and people ( hundreds) .At the exit ( T junction) flow of traffic,like ' the rush hour ' ! At said exit,three top name retailers,wont name two,who were open,the one closed,Greggs Baker's,next to,two Goliath retail names,car park Full, queues,none,retailers packed.

On drive home,huge drive in car valeters,jam packed,and,this surprised me? Quintessential dinky Kent Village,..cafe- coffee bar,open trading seated punters ? And,delicatessent ? Can't spell that! Eat in,take out,sandwich type establishment,open,trading,seated punters.

Have I missed? A we are reopen for business blunder? from BoJo

There seem to be numerous examples of this.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I would be the first to admit that the virus has created many difficult problems to solve, but our Government seem to have blundered from one crisis to the next.
    We have gone through the PPE disaster.
    The care home fiasco.
    The testing failure.
    Every time that two options were available they seemed to have chosen the wrong one.
    They have effectively killed holidays off.
    How many that have just returned to work could take a 2 week holiday followed by a further 2 weeks in quarantine?
    Will we see a surge in crime, whilst the police concentrate on checking that the quarantine is being observed?
    If the idea of putting arrivals into the UK into quarantine is important, then surely we should have been doing it months ago.
    The plan for schools returning seems completely flawed.
    Doesn't reducing class sizes by 50%, mean that you need double the number of classrooms that they are currently using, and twice the number of teachers that they currently employ.
    How many schools are in a position to do this?
    Four year olds appreciating the importance of social distancing?
    Set toilet breaks?
    No help from teachers when they fall over, wet themselves, or worse?
    Really?
    They have now admitted that the testing shambles continues, and that 4% of test results are unclear.
    So when we get to 200,000 per day 8,000 of them will be inconclusive, every day.
    Certificates proving you have had the virus will be available.
    Without getting into the probability that there will be a market for forged certificates, and the likelihood that will be those prepared to supply them, at a cost.
    The reality is that if we could test a million people per week, it would take over 5 years to test the whole population, even without factoring in the inconclusive ones that would presumably have to be redone.
    So many will not be receiving their certificate any time soon.
    They have gone very quiet on the track and trace app.
    Germany, and South Korea have been very successful on tracking and tracing.
    Yet we have chosen to implement a national scheme rather than doing it locally, and we decided against using the Google/Apple app, unlike those countries with successful schemes.
    The app which was vital the other day, is now not that important, since we have hit a few problems.
    Even though the importance of the app is being downplayed they are still stressing the importance of tracking and tracing.
    So why did they abandon this in early March?
    Every day that the lockdown continues, causes further damage to the economy.
    So they need people to get back to work.
    They have not given any thought to how people are expected to get there.
    When we are fully back to work our public transport is jam packed with commuters.
    So what is the plan?
    Boris has bowed to pressure and done a U-turn on charges borne by NHS staff, less than 24 hours after saying he wouldn't, and exaggerating the amount that these charges bring in by 75%, in the House of Commons.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options