You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Bad Beats & Dark Horses

Comments

• mushroom1mushroom1 Member Posts: 645
    It's the end of the rebuy period in the Mini and, after adding-on, I sit with 12,200. A stack all bought and paid for, I hasten to add - in fact, I think by stack is actually £5 "wrong".

It's been rather quiet in the Mega, though I have managed to double up, courtesy of Aces. Despite playing my hand face up, all the money goes in pre.

I go from here to zero on the flop, however, and instantly become a 9/1 shot to survive. However, the turn gave hope on which the river delivered on.

Hold fire on my previous request for a antonym for "justice".
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    bigfish19Small blind50.0050.0015470.00
    varleyBig blind100.00150.0023978.75
    Your hole cards
    • A
    • A
    giggsy280Call100.00250.003360.00
    mushroom1Raise400.00650.009560.00
    glasby10Fold
    bigfish19Raise1250.001900.0014220.00
    varleyFold
    giggsy280Fold
    mushroom1Raise2600.004500.006960.00
    bigfish19Raise4800.009300.009420.00
    mushroom1All-in6960.0016260.000.00
    bigfish19Raise7720.0023980.001700.00
    bigfish19Unmatched bet3860.0020120.005560.00
    bigfish19Show
    • Q
    • Q
    mushroom1Show
    • A
    • A
    Flop
    • Q
    Turn
    River
    mushroom1WinStraight to the 520120.0020120.00
  • Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,811

Gotta love a perfect-perfect turn & river.
    Given my recent, and overall (I think) , record in the £33 Turbo, I would've liked to tackle the tournament again, tonight.

However, generally, I prefer to limit myself to two-tabling so, given I am still in both the Mini and Mega, I shall have to give it a complete miss tonight.

Registering late isn't an option for me (after I exit one of the above) as it's something I loathe with Turbos.
    Was ticking along nicely for some time in the Mega before running dry on a table that included one or two that make Charing X look like something you'd buy from Hornby.

I shove over a relentless opener who snaps for, basically, his tournament...
    BigDaneSmall blind600.00600.0052058.50
    seikusBig blind1200.001800.0036910.00
    Your hole cards
    • A
    123qweFold
    varleyRaise2400.004200.0026135.00
    ibrown74Fold
    mushroom1All-in21895.0026095.000.00
    BigDaneFold
    seikusFold
    varleyAll-in26135.0052230.000.00
    varleyUnmatched bet6640.0045590.006640.00
    varleyShow
    • K
    • J
    mushroom1Show
    • A
    Flop
    • Q
    Turn
    • K
    River
    • Q
    varleyWinTwo Pairs, Kings and Queens45590.0052230.00
    Ah well, it is Friday, I guess.
    edited October 2020
    The Mega exit was in 18th, I believe, nine shy of the money. I was also bountyless.

And I just stepped on a plug on the way to the fridge.

My run in the Mini ends in 33rd place. My prize is around £35, only £10 of which is profit, however, as I was in for £25.50.

I couldn't sleep this morning so ended spinning-up a few more tenners at NLHE, resulting in a further £40 profit (in relation to my final post of the session) so, even if I draw a blank in the Mid Ex, I will be in more or less the same financial position as I was this time yesterday.

That was a bit wordy, wasn't it?

Basically, to cut a long story short, ultimately, in short, at the end of the day; it's a quiet night and I am looking at a small loss, at worst.

I am pleased with my consistency this evening, two completed MTTs; one cash, one near-cash.

There was little to report regarding the latter stages of the Mini. Towards the end of my run I was pretty card dead, far from ideal on a tricky table where I was sandwiched between lololllol and Arrogant.

My final hand was fairly standard, given my 12-blind stack...
    ScottMo1Small blind1250.001250.0072379.00
    ArrogantBig blind2500.003750.0060779.60
    Your hole cards
    • J
    • A
    mushroom1All-in29509.3433259.340.00
    loolololloFold
    rorysdadFold
    ScottMo1All-in72379.00105638.340.00
    ArrogantAll-in60779.60166417.940.00
    ScottMo1Unmatched bet10349.40156068.5410349.40
    ScottMo1Show
    • Q
    • A
    ArrogantShow
    • K
    • A
    mushroom1Show
    • J
    • A
    Flop
    Turn
    River
    ArrogantWinPair of 9s156068.54156068.54
    Great coup for the big blind. Mazel tov, my boy.
    An interesting hand from the Mini.

About ten off the money.

Blinds 600/1200.

Stack 42,000.

In the big blind with Ah 8h.

Fold to the button (35k ish) who click-raises.

Now, I'm not one for theory suggesting any play should always be XYZ. Depending on certain factors, I may raise here, I may call or I may even fold.

I called in this instance.

Flop Ad Qd 6s.

I check, raiser min-bets.

Again, I will play this spot differently from one instance to the next. In this instance I felt there was enough weakness to believe I was likely to be ahead so, with the board little damp, I raise. To 4,600.

My opponent now has to 3,200 into a pot of 11,500. They do so.

The turn is 5s, so the board is now Ad Qd 6s 5s.

The Five changes nothing but the board certainly isn't getting any drier.

I believe I overdid the "blocker-bet/pot-control" on the turn, betting only 3,600 into 15,000. Obviously, my opponent calls, whether the holding, a call on the flop cannot turn into a fold on the turn, given the numbers, right?

Is my bet here too small?

There pot is around 22,000 approaching the river, which is a brick, of sorts.

The final board reads Ad Qd 6s 5s 9h.

So, as stated, the pot if now 22k, my stack is around 32k and my opponents is around 20k.

Normally, I would go into check-call mode here. However, I was fearful of facing a huge bet, possibly even an all-in, so I opt for a blocker of 3,600, taking the pot to just under 26k.

My opponent shoves for 20k.

I have opinions and thoughts of my own but would love to hear some of yours first, in order to get a true representation of ideas.

I would find discussion on bet sizes and the final decision most interesting.

Sincere thanks to anyone who made it to the bottom of this post. :#
    25/41 in the Mid Ex with just 14-bigs. With crunch time looming, I decide to late-reg for the £11 BH (00:30) which already has 80 entrants.
    edited October 2020
    As feared, I did not last much longer in the Mid Ex. I found Ace-Ten and could not get my 9-bigs in quick enough.

The SB woke up with AK. And called. And won.

My entry into the 00:30 wasn't something I thought through sufficiently. It's a relatively slow structure and there are still over 20 minutes of late registration time.

Not ideal given I still need to finalise tomorrow's horse racing and football business.

I have racked up three lively bounties, though, so hopefully it will prove time well spent.

edited October 2020
    I decide to spin up a fiver at NLHE, as to not single-table the fairly structured 00:30.

I am dealt Aces back-to-back but, from both hands combined, I win crab-fat, nichts, niente, buttons, a rub of soap, nish.

I leave in disgust a minute later. Or it may've been a minute and a huff.

That last joke was for all the youngsters reading. The kids still like the Marx Brothers, don't they? Or is it all Harold Llyod and Bilko these days?

Great numbers (I think?) for the 00:30, which ended up with 96 runners.

Yours truly is currently 2/22 with five scalps on the belt, resulting in guaranteed profit of at least £10.56 - Coutts have been notified.

Just a quick update.

I finished third in the late night MTT I played on Friday night. This resulted in a MTT profit of around £70. I played a fair bit of Spin-up cash thereafter, however, and ended up level on the session.

Not since the days of PLHE, have I claimed to be a genuine cash player and I know my limitations regarding online cash as we now know it.

Saturday night was my usual night off, spending the evening with the other half. That said, it was a night off in name only as it resulted in more of the same; I move all-in with a short stack, leading to disappointment.

It's a late start tonight, with a late registration in both the Mini and Mega.
    The last two nights have been thoroughly boring and unenjoyable.

Think I was 0/7.

This hand is a microcosm for the last two sessions.
    mushroom1Small blind150.00150.008575.00
    WHO_IS_SHEBig blind300.00450.006732.50
    Your hole cards
    • Q
    • A
    torres215Fold
    kalin68Fold
    147111Fold
    Shane4444Fold
    mushroom1All-in8575.009025.000.00
    WHO_IS_SHEAll-in6732.5015757.500.00
    mushroom1Unmatched bet1692.5014065.001692.50
    mushroom1Show
    • Q
    • A
    WHO_IS_SHEShow
    • J
    • K
    Flop
    • Q
    Turn
    • K
    River
    WHO_IS_SHEWinPair of Kings14065.0014065.00
    Poker has been great for me this year, but, for most of the last 26 days, I've been extremely frustrated and/or bored.

With my racing/sports business approaching normal levels of volume, I'm at a definite crossroads.

• tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,723
    mushroom1 said:

An interesting hand from the Mini.

About ten off the money.

Blinds 600/1200.

Stack 42,000.

In the big blind with Ah 8h.

Fold to the button (35k ish) who click-raises.

Now, I'm not one for theory suggesting any play should always be XYZ. Depending on certain factors, I may raise here, I may call or I may even fold.

I called in this instance.

Flop Ad Qd 6s.

I check, raiser min-bets.

Again, I will play this spot differently from one instance to the next. In this instance I felt there was enough weakness to believe I was likely to be ahead so, with the board little damp, I raise. To 4,600.

My opponent now has to 3,200 into a pot of 11,500. They do so.

The turn is 5s, so the board is now Ad Qd 6s 5s.

The Five changes nothing but the board certainly isn't getting any drier.

I believe I overdid the "blocker-bet/pot-control" on the turn, betting only 3,600 into 15,000. Obviously, my opponent calls, whether the holding, a call on the flop cannot turn into a fold on the turn, given the numbers, right?

Is my bet here too small?

There pot is around 22,000 approaching the river, which is a brick, of sorts.

The final board reads Ad Qd 6s 5s 9h.

So, as stated, the pot if now 22k, my stack is around 32k and my opponents is around 20k.

Normally, I would go into check-call mode here. However, I was fearful of facing a huge bet, possibly even an all-in, so I opt for a blocker of 3,600, taking the pot to just under 26k.

My opponent shoves for 20k.

I have opinions and thoughts of my own but would love to hear some of yours first, in order to get a true representation of ideas.

I would find discussion on bet sizes and the final decision most interesting.

Sincere thanks to anyone who made it to the bottom of this post. :#

Good Morning

As played , the turn bet is the crucial one in this instance ( IMO ofc)
    You rep strength on the flop, so two options , put him to test with a bet of 7k ( ish) OR check turn.
    If villain shoves in either instance then you have a decision 😊
    4th in the Eliminator. Was 1/4 twice but lost a huge pot with KJ to QJ, despite flopping a King. Runner, runner, runner, runner, runner, runner flush.

Play the Turbo. Crash out in about 18th I think.

Cashed in the Reload. Despite losing a pot for 6th place (60k+) with AKs vs T9x, all-in pre. I survived before he was the one calling for his tournament life.

Just a min-cash.

Was 5/21 when going out. Folded to me in the SB with Tens. It goes in. BB (and bigger stack) as Aces.

Zzzzz.

Sorry about boring update, I promise to start putting more effort in. Just as soon as I stop getting bashed up with beats and coolers night-in, night-out.

Worrying when you make a profit (albeit small), yet still feel totally disillusioned and helpless. Yes, 'helpless' - that is exactly the word best to describe how I feel currently.

I may as well enter the Mid Ex, where I predict that I won't play to the best of my ability. I will probably hit around 70-80% performance level. I will finish 29th, losing a race.
    Update: ignore that prediction.

I'm playing it hard and fast.
    Busto in three hands.

I'm tempted to see if I have any success on the Eliminator freerolls, but, it will depend how I feel over the next day or so.

Sadly, over the course of the month, my hunger has been beaten into submission.

Don't forget, I am someone who gave up full-time poker once before. Not because I wasn't making a living, but because I fell out of love with the life and took a preferred route.

I was away (from extensive poker) for around 12 years. A winning player absent for 12 years? That tells you a lot about how I struggle with motivation and how I truly view a life of daily/nightly poker.

My return was solely due to a lack of sport. My hand was forced, to a degree.

I have played a lot of poker (relatively speaking) since late March. Probably too much, for me.

Or maybe it's due to the fact that I am back working the day-job. I'm now juggling and, although the last seven months have been consistently profitable, we are not talking huge money, far from it.

Besides, money isn't all-important anyway. One should never underestimate the importance of happiness, and it's been a good few weeks since I enjoyed a night at the laptop.

Not sure how I feel. I need to have a think about what is best for me.

Perhaps I'm just lazy.

Apologies if it appears that I am rambling, or if it comes across as wallowing in misplaced self-pity, but I've always kept this diary as honest as possible.

I am so tired. Hope to be back tomorrow, or Thursday!

• Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 159,811

One should never underestimate the importance of happiness

Happiness beats everything.
  • Asho28Asho28 Member Posts: 767
    Hi Mushroom, was nice to share a table with you in the latter stages of the eliminator freeroll yesterday. Really enjoy the tourney blogs you do on here.

Your heart has got to be in it - if you're not motivated and you're not getting enjoyment from it then it might be time to take a break, even if it's just for a week or two. You're not going to play your optimum poker if your heart isn't in playing anyway. I go through spells where poker feels somewhat tedious and I've only been playing online poker for about 5 months. As Tikay says, happiness beats everything - if you're not happy playing poker right now then why put yourself through it?

Hope to see you back at the poker tables soon and I hope your run of luck changes with UKOPS, assuming you still plan to play.
    Asho28 said:

Hi Mushroom, was nice to share a table with you in the latter stages of the eliminator freeroll yesterday. Really enjoy the tourney blogs you do on here.

Your heart has got to be in it - if you're not motivated and you're not getting enjoyment from it then it might be time to take a break, even if it's just for a week or two. You're not going to play your optimum poker if your heart isn't in playing anyway. I go through spells where poker feels somewhat tedious and I've only been playing online poker for about 5 months. As Tikay says, happiness beats everything - if you're not happy playing poker right now then why put yourself through it?

Hope to see you back at the poker tables soon and I hope your run of luck changes with UKOPS, assuming you still plan to play.

Likewise, @Asho28. Good luck with your UKOPS challenge.

I agree with your sentiments, here.