You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Next Conservative leader

Comments

• Options
    HAYSIEHAYSIE Member Posts: 32,269
    Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

I see John Major is getting involved.
    Calling for BJ to go now and that the 1922 rules are changed to omit rank & file members from the voting process.
    How very democratic.

Will someone do a seance to see what Maggie thinks.

Various people are prioritising what is worst for Boris over what may be best for the country.

Want to ensure Boris is speedily removed. Can see the advantages for the Party. Just not the Country. That said, do we want the future of the Country, and the next PM, decided by the Conservative Party Membership?

71% Male. Overwhelmingly White. Average age 72.
    You missed out the worst bit.
    They elected Boris.
    So wtf do they know.
  • Options
    Allan23Allan23 Member Posts: 864
    VespaPX said:

Calling for BJ to go now and that the 1922 rules are changed to omit rank & file members from the voting process.
    How very democratic.

Made me laugh. Why aren't you like this more often Vespa.
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,041
    Allan23 said:

VespaPX said:

How very democratic.

Just done this. I got....

"Maggie, Maggie, Maggie!
    Out! Out! Out!"

Seriously, I suspect it would bring back some seriously unwelcome deja vu...
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,201
    "NONE OF THE ABOVE" Monty Brewster
  • Options
    TheEdge949TheEdge949 Member Posts: 5,201
    Essexphil said:

Allan23 said:

VespaPX said:

How very democratic.

Just done this. I got....

"Maggie, Maggie, Maggie!
    Out! Out! Out!"

Seriously, I suspect it would bring back some seriously unwelcome deja vu...
    We are ok she's away in some distant galaxy destroying communities with a death star
  • Options
    miniman88miniman88 Member Posts: 134
    Penny Mordaunt is my #1, strong woman with leadership skills, brexiteer, patriot, royal navy reservist. Wouldn't mind Liz truss either.

Rishi is the nut low option imo
  • Options
    Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

I quite like the Tugendhat/Baker combo

Tugendhat certainly has many things that appeal to both Conservative voters, and the wider electorate.

What he does not have is any Ministerial experience whatsoever. Which is why he is far more likely to be promoted to a Senior position, but not PM
    According to the polls, the only one that beats Keir Starmer in a general election, is Rishi Sunak.
  • Options
    tomgooduntomgoodun Member Posts: 3,726
    HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

Tugendhat certainly has many things that appeal to both Conservative voters, and the wider electorate.

What he does not have is any Ministerial experience whatsoever. Which is why he is far more likely to be promoted to a Senior position, but not PM
    According to the polls, the only one that beats Keir Starmer in a general election, is Rishi Sunak.
    You mean the bloke who was declared a permanent US resident whist holding his position as Chancellor of the Exchequer to avoid paying tax in the UK?

Never ceases to amaze me what people will overlook when voting.

The whole system of what is and isn’t ( morally) allowed whilst being an MP needs a massive shake up, and once you break the rules you should never be allowed to be an MP in future ( Mandelson , Johnson etc)
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,648
    Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

you do realize he is very anti gambling and if we get him the restrictions on gambling will be so harsh we would be incredibly lucky to even be able to play 5 £5.50 bounties on here during a single week.

he is by far the absolute worst case scenario for anyone that wants to be able to gamble freely.

penny mordaunt is the second worst choice too.

it should be anyone but those two ideally. Well not Ian Duncan smith he would be even worse but he isn't even running is he?
  • Options
    tomgoodun said:

HAYSIE said:

Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

You mean the bloke who was declared a permanent US resident whist holding his position as Chancellor of the Exchequer to avoid paying tax in the UK?

Never ceases to amaze me what people will overlook when voting.

The whole system of what is and isn’t ( morally) allowed whilst being an MP needs a massive shake up, and once you break the rules you should never be allowed to be an MP in future ( Mandelson , Johnson etc)
    Thats him.
  • Options
    DoublemeDoubleme Member Posts: 1,648
    I have been a tory voter my whole life after all this assuming the labour position is the same or not as bad as the restrictions the Tory's would want to impose on gambling I will break ranks for the first time and vote labour next election.
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
    I see Sunak didn't waste any time getting his launch video made.
    Pre-pepared?

Unelectable for breach of lock down laws and his families tax affairs?
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    miniman88 said:

Penny Mordaunt is my #1, strong woman with leadership skills, brexiteer, patriot, royal navy reservist. Wouldn't mind Liz truss either.

Liz Truss would be the nut low option
  • Options
    VespaPXVespaPX Member Posts: 12,031
  • Options
    Jac35Jac35 Member Posts: 6,477
    Doubleme said:

Essexphil said:

VespaPX said:

you do realize he is very anti gambling and if we get him the restrictions on gambling will be so harsh we would be incredibly lucky to even be able to play 5 £5.50 bounties on here during a single week.

he is by far the absolute worst case scenario for anyone that wants to be able to gamble freely.

penny mordaunt is the second worst choice too.

it should be anyone but those two ideally. Well not Ian Duncan smith he would be even worse but he isn't even running is he?
    I think we need to discount Tugendhat

Clearly has no idea of what is important to the general public
    The monster would only let us play £3.30bhs
  • Options
    edited July 2022
  • Options
    Ben Wallace. Now there is a politician in the traditional style.

Portrayed very much as a man of the people. So long as you mean by "people", ones who are educated at Millfield (current fees about 44k a year).

Makes much of his military career. He served for 7 years after Sandhurst, but resigned aged 28. I'm certainly not knocking him for that-but it is quite a short part of his life. Something that is not made clear.

My favourite bit is in relation to Parliamentary Expenses. In 2008, he made much of how the system was being abused. From Wiki:-

"On 13 November 2008, Wallace received the Campaigner of the Year title in the Spectator/Threadneedle Parliamentarian Awards, for his work promoting transparency of MPs' expenses.

Wallace faced local criticism after it was revealed that in 2008 he made the fourth-highest expenses claim of any MP, claiming £175,523 on top of his £63,000 salary. However, he defended this by arguing that his constituency had an electorate that was nearly 20% larger than the average one in England"

It takes a special kind of person to complain about the trough, while simultaneously sticking snout in it 4th most out of 650 MPs.
  • Options
    miniman88 said:

I do not believe Penny Mordaunt is likely to succeed.

The reason? I think a lot of what she says is entirely sensible. And if I think that, I am pretty sure a large part of the Conservative Party will not....

I hope you are right. She should certainly go some way to uniting both wings of the Party. Which will be necessary if the Tories actually want to win the next election.
  • Options
    Steve Baker just dropped out.
    John Baron is taking soundings.
  • Options
    HAYSIE said:

Steve Baker just dropped out.
    John Baron is taking soundings.

He is a 63-year-old never was. His experience is little, and most people have never heard of him. He will struggle to get 8 MPs to endorse him, never mind get anywhere near winning.

The fact that he appears not to realise this is further proof of his unfitness for Office.