You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Options

Fat Club - let's lose weight, quit smoking & be more healthy in 2018.

Tikay10Tikay10 Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 161,229

Delete as applicable, but if you are;

Overweight

Smoke cigarettes

Don't exercise enough....

Then this is the thread for you. Together, assuming we can get at least 5 or 6 subscribers, we can help each other get more healthy in 2018.

Regular progress updates & encouraging each other will help us all.

First thing you need to do is set some targets.

If we can get 5 or 6 regulars, we can do this, if we can't, then we will just let the thread die. But if we don't get fitter, we might just die anyway.......

Comments

• Options

My two targets are

1) Lose weight.

I'm currently at my heaviest ever, 14st 12lbs. Target is to get down to 14 stone by SPT Manchester, so that gives me 6 weeks.

2) Exercise more.

The only exercise I can currently attempt is walking, so the target is to walk a minimum of 1 mile each day, or 7 miles each week.
  • Options

Anyone else fancy joining in?

Don't forget, you can choose anything which will make you more healthy - so losing weight, quitting the ciggies, exercising more, all count.

If we can set targets & encourage each other, it will really help.

Who is brave enough to join in?
  • Options
    paige55paige55 Member Posts: 2,953
    Since Christmas I have borrowed a dog to walk every day,I have now lost 2 stone :):):):):):)
  • Options
    joking aside I did look after a dog a westie for the holidays and he went back home today,Helped keep my weight down walking him twice aday,TRUE
  • Options
    Phantom66Phantom66 Member Posts: 5,542
    I'm in. Weighed myself today and I am 15st 2 lbs. I am also pretty unfit, leading a sedentary lifestyle and having quit all sports and lost my pet dog last year.

I would like to get down to 14st over time but the initial target is to get under 14st7 which I will try and do to the same timescale as you Tikay, by Manchester SPT weekend.

Thankfully I don't smoke* so that is not an issue.

Walking at least a mile a day seems a good place to start, plus healthier eating although there still a few too many christmas "goodies" around.

Happy New Year!

*Ok I did smoke a few in my teens but thankfully the habit never stuck, it was peer pressure, actually it wasn't as the "peers" were french girls out of my league who I was trying to fit in with. Another story for another time maybe.

• Options
    Phantom66 said:

I'm in. Weighed myself today and I am 15st 2 lbs. I am also pretty unfit, leading a sedentary lifestyle and having quit all sports and lost my pet dog last year.

I would like to get down to 14st over time but the initial target is to get under 14st7 which I will try and do to the same timescale as you Tikay, by Manchester SPT weekend.

Thankfully I don't smoke* so that is not an issue.

Walking at least a mile a day seems a good place to start, plus healthier eating although there still a few too many christmas "goodies" around.

Happy New Year!

*Ok I did smoke a few in my teens but thankfully the habit never stuck, it was peer pressure, actually it wasn't as the "peers" were french girls out of my league who I was trying to fit in with. Another story for another time maybe.

Well done Phantom, I was beginning to think I was going to be doing this solo. Having others doing the same thing really helps, as we can motivate each other.

Great to have you on board, good luck.

Have you started yet, how did it go, or when do you plan to start?
  • Options
    paige55 said:

joking aside I did look after a dog a westie for the holidays and he went back home today,Helped keep my weight down walking him twice aday,TRUE

Having a dog to walk must be a great way to encourage daily exercise, & exercise is a big plus in keeping us healthy.

After my little scare last March, I learned a great deal about how the heart functions. Basically, it's a muscle, & it needs to be kept in trim, & one way to do this is by regular exercise. It does not have to be excessive - just try & do it regularly.
  • Options

As we now have at least one other member trying to get fitter, I'll try & do a little regular progress update.

Yesterday was Day 1 & it went superbly.

I did two short walks, only half a mile each, as I've not exercised since October, & I now get out of breath very quickly. I plan to continue doing the 2 short daily walks for the rest of this week, then next week, move up to 2 x 1 mile walks each day.

Food intake was much more sensible yesterday, & I stuck to the plan. 4 Ryvitas with Philly Light cheese & sliced fresh toms for lunch, then 2 chicken breasts & a small tin of peas for dinner last night.

If I can keep that level up, I'll soon see the weight drop off, & most of all, I'll feel better, as I feel pretty poor right now, due to over-eating & lack of exercise.

A good start.

Can I keep this progress going? We shall see.....
  • Options
    Tikay10 said:

Well done Phantom, I was beginning to think I was going to be doing this solo. Having others doing the same thing really helps, as we can motivate each other.

Today is Day 1.

I'll have to wait until Eleanor dies down a bit before walk #1.

Hopefully that will be in daylight as I can I have a much more scenic walk through some woods and by the river. If I have to wait until evening then that is a much less inspiring trudge round the houses. It will no doubt feel weird doing this without my dog by my side.

Eating wise I don't expect to start brilliantly. Still too many treats and I have already had a mince pie. I need to make that the only high calorie snack of the day.

I also plan to build some mindfulness exercises into the daily routine, more of which later.

Good luck Tikay and anyone else who decides to join in.
  • Options
    I will be watching this thread would love to join in but I seem to be on a diet all year round,Tikay I love Philly light eat it most days for my lunch mixed with tomatos and cucumber in a bowl,for tea tonight it will be boiled potatos peas carrots and a lean pork steak xx good luck to you and phantom xx
  • Options
    my real bad habits are thick bread mature cheedar mayo, calslaw, pate,.so I try never to buy them :(:(:(:(:(
  • Options
    Sweets cake chocolate I hate lucky me also hate biscuits
  • Options
    Phantom66 said:

Tikay10 said:

Today is Day 1.

I'll have to wait until Eleanor dies down a bit before walk #1.

Hopefully that will be in daylight as I can I have a much more scenic walk through some woods and by the river. If I have to wait until evening then that is a much less inspiring trudge round the houses. It will no doubt feel weird doing this without my dog by my side.

Eating wise I don't expect to start brilliantly. Still too many treats and I have already had a mince pie. I need to make that the only high calorie snack of the day.

I also plan to build some mindfulness exercises into the daily routine, more of which later.

Good luck Tikay and anyone else who decides to join in.
    Hi phantom you like me no longer have a dog of your own mine passed in 2011 could never replace him so now I look after other peeps dogs love paige xxx
  • Options
    EssexphilEssexphil Member Posts: 8,111
    OK, I'm in, if only to make others feel better.
    Starting weight 20 stone, 2 lbs. Been heavy ever since gave up ciggies 11 years ago.
    Want to get a dog when we finally move-too lazy to exercise regularly for myself, but couldn't not exercise a dog.
    I'll settle for my weight beginning with a "1" b4 Manchester
  • Options
    Hi Essexphil,Let me know what kind off dog you would like xxregards paige x
  • Options
    paige55 said:

the best is a black lab gun dog so easy to train, they love you no matter if they a walked once aday they are happy being left on there own, I look after one her name is ruby she is wonerful
  • Options
    paige55 said:

paige55 said:

the best is a black lab gun dog so easy to train, they love you no matter if they a walked once aday they are happy being left on there own, I look after one her name is ruby she is wonerful
    she does have a cage that she goes in when she has had enough of me playing and walking her
  • Options
    Don't know what sort yet-wife and kids will choose. My only stipulation is that it will be from a charity-probably be a "bitser".

My wife keeps threatening to get ME a cage...
  • Options
    Welcome Phil.

Day 2 walk completed so 2/2 on the exercise front. I could probably push myself a little harder but the main aim is to exercise every day and build it up gradually.

I wouldn't say the healthy eating is going as well but I do have the burden of finishing off the Christmas goodies and it would have been very rude to turn down a portion of my son's signature bread and butter pudding.

Are we going to have a collective fat club weighing in day?
  • Options
    Exercise is a little tricky, due to my size. Will start by walking when warms up a bit.
    Intend to start by eating better-thinking of trying Diet Chef again.
    Weigh-in day could be first day of every SPT...